Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

• 2 weeks later...

I switched back to klonopin from Valium and the majority of my tinnitus has significantly decreased.

That's kind of my experience too. 

Another strange phenomenon is that when cutting I tend to get hyperacusis and after I finish all the cutting the tinnitus comes back.  I have heard a lot of other members experience the same phenomenon.  When they reinstate the tinnitus eventually goes away and when they start cutting the tinnitus gets even better but is replaced by hyperacusis.  This whole ordeal is very complex but I'm starting to write a rulebook on the basics of what happens to the ears when on and off benzos.

My T has started fluctuating at an "interesting" point of my journey..

It suddenly comes on very loud, fluctuates a bit, dropps off to nothing, and resumes as was... minutes and seconds, so all pretty quick..

So, -A good sign imo...

After a bit over 2 years off of klonopin my tinnitus is still 24/7 but ranges from very quiet to moderate, only when I take a nap or sleep for a short period, probably less than an hour I always wake up with very loud tinnitus. Hyperacusis is pretty much gone and I only flinch some times when a plate is dropped behind me.

Good news is that the tinnitus very rarely bothers me any more, it just pisses me off knowing that if I happen to drop off for a few mins I will wake to a blaring noise that lasts anywhere from 10 mins to a couple of hours.

I still wish it would fade away though.

2trusting

After a bit over 2 years off of klonopin my tinnitus is still 24/7 but ranges from very quiet to moderate, only when I take a nap or sleep for a short period, probably less than an hour I always wake up with very loud tinnitus. Hyperacusis is pretty much gone and I only flinch some times when a plate is dropped behind me.

Good news is that the tinnitus very rarely bothers me any more, it just pisses me off knowing that if I happen to drop off for a few mins I will wake to a blaring noise that lasts anywhere from 10 mins to a couple of hours.

I still wish it would fade away though.

2trusting

That the important part.  I tell myself 500X a day / I love the tinnitus, I love the tinnitus, I love the tinnitus.

This is the basis of hypnosis.  PLEASE never "think" in your mind the message that your tinnitus is a bad thing.  Thoughts like "I'm going to go crazy" are not good thoughts.

Sounds simple but it really works given enough time.  Tinnitus is no different than your favorite song that you crank up to full blast loudness on the radio. Its just a sound.

Try loving it, give it two months but never ever let your brain think that you hate it ever!!!!!!!!!  Your brain is always listening so do not add fuel to the fire. 

YOU ARE WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE. Take it from some-one who took 2 years of quantum physics in college.

The other good bit of advice is TO STOP LISTENING FOR IT, distraction works and I can go hours without really noticing it when I am involved in something else.

To all the people suffering, I spent weeks and months probably more than a year thinking I cant go on like this, I dont think my tinnitus is much quieter now than it was at the start its just that it is now a part of life for me and I do what ever I want in spite of it.

I do have ear plugs in my pocket for the times when things get loud like tonight I am going to see Earth Wind and Fire.

The other good bit of advice is TO STOP LISTENING FOR IT, distraction works and I can go hours without really noticing it when I am involved in something else.

To all the people suffering, I spent weeks and months probably more than a year thinking I cant go on like this, I dont think my tinnitus is much quieter now than it was at the start its just that it is now a part of life for me and I do what ever I want in spite of it.

I do have ear plugs in my pocket for the times when things get loud like tonight I am going to see Earth Wind and Fire.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smitten: :smitten:

Easy to say when you have it mild. Some people can't escape it. Personally, some days it feels like a jet engine inside my head. Others its like an electric drill  being pierced into my brain. Yes distraction, background noise, don't focus on it bla bla bla. Most of us already do this. Doesn't take away any of the unimaginable discomfort on bad days.

The other good bit of advice is TO STOP LISTENING FOR IT

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know you mean well but good God. It's posts like these why I rely on Tinnitus Talk for support. As if we have a choice when one has it bad...

Anyways, reason I came to this thread is make everyone aware of the this. I posted this in the Alternative Section forum but it's barely recvd any views and this is BIG DEAL for tinnitus sufferers so those who have it bad should see this.

There is a product that is expected to be released very soon (as early as next month) with studies showing an incredible 80% improvement in tinnitus sufferers, 66% having significant improvement. The device works on the somatosensory system (trigeminal nerve) via electrical impulses to the tongue. Thia is paired with auditory stimulation. One would buy the device, use it daily for 30-60 minutes for roughly 12 weeks paired with sound stimulation (proprietary sound of different noises) based on the patient's hearing profile. What's interesting is that those with hyperacusis + tinnitus were 2x more responsive to therapy, which is what a lot of us have. The company's name Neuromod and they are based out in Ireleand. It's expected to be released there and in the EU first. They submitted their studies for FDA approval and are also expecting a decision on that this year for US release. I believe their studies were the largest ever done for tinnitus.

A quick google search will take you to their site which briefly explains how it works. For more in depth click the following links...

https://vimeo.com/333141561

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/q-a-tinnitus-hub-meets-neuromod-mutebutton.32369/

Sounds simple but it really works given enough time.  Tinnitus is no different than your favorite song that you crank up to full blast loudness on the radio. Its just a sound.

Try loving it, give it two months but never ever let your brain think that you hate it ever!!!!!!!!!  Your brain is always listening so do not add fuel to the fire. 

I am clearly in the wrong thread.

Nobody suffering with a truly severe case (or who has suffered with in the past and isn't drugged to the gills) would ever write some hippy bullshit like this.

Nobody suffering with a truly severe case (or who has suffered with in the past and isn't drugged to the gills) would ever write some hippy bullshit like this.

Clearly you hate Hippies.  Yes you should go. No haters allowed on this link. Also people that do not understand the power of suggestion needs to read some more hippy books.

Also your level of tinnitus may be really bad. 

Now I know I am healing if the power of suggestion actually works.

Guess it depends on one's tinnitus level.

Clearly you hate Hippies.  Yes you should go. No haters allowed on this link. Also people that do not understand the power of suggestion needs to read some more hippy books.

Also your level of tinnitus may be really bad. 

Now I know I am healing if the power of suggestion actually works.

Guess it depends on one's tinnitus level.

I don't hate hippies at all. Just calling it like I see it. Post something like that on tinnitus talk or anywhere else where people have bad cases of anything and see the reception you get.

However you are 100% right, the power of placebo is very real and in mild cases of anything, yes it can help. I'm just having an awful day and I suppose I took it out on you and the other guy. My apologies. 

I just prefer science. That post I made regarding Neuromod has the potential to be a game changer for anyone suffering from tinnitus. Key word being suffering. If merely thinking that tinnitus is a lovely experience works for you then cheers! For the vast majority of us, I assume that is not going to be the case.

Woods,

I understand you being cross at tinnitus but no need to be cross at me.

You make the assumption that my tinnitus is soft, infact it is not really soft and for the longest time I would walk around in a daze and be scared of going to bed or waking up. Loud noises would hurt also.

Its frowned upon to talk about on this board but I really considered ending things more than once due to tinnitus.

I spent many thousands on seeing doctors and checking out the latest remedy and all that really helped was ear buds and time.

I am trying to help, but I am also a member of tinnitus talk and when I suggested that Klonopin gave me tinnitus I was rebuked and told klonopin was a cure or at least a way of keeping tinnitus under control.

This may be the case for many people but not for the people on here who have been hurt by benzos.

Be cross at the reason you got tinnitus if you need to but please dont attack me.

You're 100% right 2trusting. My sincere apologies. I don't know what got into me yesterday. It's out of character for me. Just beyond frustrated...

Glad to know you're doing better.

I know I shouldnt complain, But im finding T affects me more now that its fluctuating...  The peaks are way worse and kinda feel physical..

It was slowly improving, and perhaps this is part of it, but its more likely this is a result of my recent "other med" c/o which has been pretty intense.. 

Is there a normal out of constant or fluctuating..? Is it common for T to do this as it improves..??

You're 100% right 2trusting. My sincere apologies. I don't know what got into me yesterday. It's out of character for me. Just beyond frustrated...

Glad to know you're doing better.

Accepted and thanks for being man enough to post.

I understand that tinnitus is all encompassing as it was for me, believe it or not I am sitting here typing with what sounds like a tea kettle singing in both my ears and it is not really upsetting me (I cant say I am happy to hear it though)

My worst times are if I have a short sleep/nap for a few mins to an hour, I always wake to tinnitus blaring and it takes a bit of time for me to get past it.

I know I shouldnt complain, But im finding T affects me more now that its fluctuating...  The peaks are way worse and kinda feel physical..

It was slowly improving, and perhaps this is part of it, but its more likely this is a result of my recent "other med" c/o which has been pretty intense.. 

Is there a normal out of constant or fluctuating..? Is it common for T to do this as it improves..??

Hi Cantfly, it's totally normal for tinnitus to fluctuate, especially if you are changing medications. Also, certain meds like aspirin will cause it to spike up temporarily. It will likely settle down once your body adjusts to the med changes.

Hi Cantfly, it's totally normal for tinnitus to fluctuate, especially if you are changing medications. Also, certain meds like aspirin will cause it to spike up temporarily. It will likely settle down once your body adjusts to the med changes.

Thanks GrapeJ... :)

It sure has changed...!! Another "time will tell" thing I guess..

Appreciate the response...

:)

I began having tinnitus in my left ear (the good one) about a year before I’d begun taking Xanax chronically. The good news I can maybe offer you is I do notice adverse reactions to antidepressants and benzodiazepine withdrawal can make a ringing ear much harder to tolerate. Thus, if your tinnitus is related to the medication withdrawal, it may completely go away or you simply don’t notice it as much as you heal. I find when I feel well, it simply doesn’t bother me as much. I do acknowledge my case may not be as impairing as yours; it’s very varied.

Not sure who is responding to who here, but thanks, it all helps... :)

I wanted to encourage others who find tinnitius unbearable. I’ve been in moments where I hated it, then most of the time, it’s just a slight annoyance; I can often forget I have it.

Hi everyone  :hug: I am doing the Carnivore diet and its helping with certain symptoms and my Hyperacusis as of  today :yippee: Today for the first time in 5 year's I was able to sit out my sisters Garden for 4 hours without the usual ear plugs plus noise cancellation headphones over the ear plugs and still be in fkn agony, and not be able to bare it for more than a few minutes if that long  :'( :'( :'( before I had to get the hell back indoors and I use industrial ear defenders over ear plugs as well that's how bad it is. :D

I was waiting for the shoe to drop every minute and bite me on the arse big time, but I was fine, and actually relaxed and enjoyed being out doors after year's shut in most of the time trying desperately to avoid sound and vibration.  I also was sun intolerant for 5 year's but was able to sit in it yesterday and today for a few hours in a sun dress rather than having to wear layers of clothes,  hats and sun glasses to keep the sun off.

I don't know how long its going to last as all healing in most cases isn't linear, and I've had to put a small pair of ear plugs just inside the entrance to my ears now 4 hours later but not jammed painfully into my ear canals plus cancellation head phones or ear defenders over the top But after 5 year's of hell and 18 days on this diet I was able to do that? Plus walk around my home with the windows open and didn't realise they were open I've kept my windows closed for 5 year's as well  as I can't stand any noise or vibration, but apart form a bit of hearing distortion I was OK .

That made my screeching tinnitus a LOT easier to ignore as well plus the tinnitus didn't seem so bad out doors either but us picking back again now 5 hours later but its not as deafening as it would usually be a LOT earlier in the day its there as soon as I open my eyes and non stop all day and night especially at bed time it drives me nuts but its 30-40% better at the moment.  ;D  Right I'm going to copy and paste this and add it to my updates on my Keto/ Carnivore thread  ;D  Re: What Keto and now heading towards Carnivore have done for me http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=222001.0

I will keep you all updated on my ears on here as well I hope it helps someone else too :thumbsup:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

nova 1: definitely +1 on doing keto. everybody on this forum should give at least a try for 30 days.

I still have some minor tinnitus left. otherwise mostly healed, posted a success story as well. I have been researching general health, other then just benzo w/d for a long time.

I did stumble upon a substance called DMSO. it has a very wide array of healing properties, however in terms of tinnitus I paste below. I have not tried it yet, and will keep researching it. however for those of you who are interested:

Abstract

In fifteen patients affected by essential nonvibratory tinnitus, local applications in the external auditive canal of 2 ml medicated DMSO spray were made. The spray solution contained DMSO integrated with anti-inflammatory and vasodilatory substances. This application was repeated every four days for a month. At the same time each patient was administered a daily intramuscular injection of a preparation that contained DMSO and a vasodilatory component. The therapeutic effect was evaluated through the subjective modification of the symptom and functional tests of the auditory system. Of the fifteen patients treated, the tinnitus symptom completely disappeared in nine, and did not return during a one-year observation period. The patient's symptoms diminished in two cases, and in four cases the permanent tinnitus became occasional, triggered principally by environmental cold. It is important to note that among the concomitant signs, the five patients with vertigo noted improvement. Hypacusis diminished in three of the six patients affected. Insomnia disappeared in eight and diminished in seven cases. The rise in the average tympanic membrane temperature from 36.8 degrees C before to 37.9 degrees C after treatment was noteworthy. This could indicate an improvement of the blood flow in the inner ear.