Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Jen,

A lot of the really good hearing aids also can be programmed to have maskers. 

Birdman,

Interesting to know on how/why tinnitus.  VERY interesting!!

Thanx :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for the advice

I have tried to be fitted for a new hearing aid a week ago. Had the moulds taken and was given to try.  I really am in a mess with this whole thing at the moment,  I cannot tolerate the new aid. 

I am really suffering in every way at this time so this might be why the tinnitus is so high.

I have the fan running all the time but being deaf it's hard to hear much more than the noise in my head.

I lost my hearing in my 30's and gained so tinnitus which I got used to over time but it was not on this scale,  More the high pitched hiss that I still have but the deep drone is  just awful, along with the head pressure pushing in on my ears.

My hands are so numb, all the time and have been for  quite a time, I have been to the Doctors about it and was examined and had a blood test but no further  on,

I think I am in the throws of acute after a very long and difficult taper,  taking 17 months for  just 4mgs of valium.

I might have gone a bit fast at the end but not  but in truth the drug was really harming me, and I stay on it far too long, 

by that I mean in total . I was on it 3-4 months before tapering and all the time I was ill on it. I foolishly listened to advice that it was my anxiety making me ill and kept taking it as advised, 

Now I am in this mess with my ears giving me such trouble and not way to block this sound,  just living in deaf world,  as best I can with the pressure and extreme noise going on, 

I don't know what I can do as I cannot go back on drug that destroyed me , so I have to try and carry on, until eventually my gaba receptors find a way to heal and glutamate pulls back .

I wish there was some way to help but I don't know if one, 

I hope time will bring some relief

I am not sure if there is anything I should avoid,

I am out of ideas

Thank you once again

Jen 

• 4 weeks later...

I have this too. I want to bring hope to all who fear drug induced tinnitus as a permanent problem. This is from a ENT surgeon and an expert on tinnitus.

"Many people with tinnitus worry that certain drugs or medicines may have caused their tinnitus. A browse through a medical textbook or a search on the internet would seem to reinforce that view as there are numerous reports of tinnitus being associated with medication. In fact, when these claims are subjected to proper scientific scrutiny the number of drugs that genuinely cause tinnitus is extremely small, and these are outlined below. For most drugs, there is no scientific evidence to either support or refute claims that they cause tinnitus.

For the majority of the most commonly prescribed drugs the number of people who report tinnitus while taking the drug is tiny, usually less than 1 in 1000 people. Tinnitus is a relatively rarely reported adverse reaction in most cases compared to the total number of adverse reactions.

This applies to most drugs for high blood pressure, cholesterol lowering drugs (statins), drugs given for anxiety and most antidepressants. Even those drugs that do cause tinnitus tend to result in temporary tinnitus: once the drug is discontinued the tinnitus usually disappears. Also, where drugs do cause tinnitus the effect is usually dose dependent. In other words, the normal dose that a doctor would prescribe does not cause tinnitus. It is only unusually large doses that result in tinnitus."

Read the link.

https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/Handlers/Download.ashx?IDMF=73f38316-8fc6-4fb4-aedc-d990589202ef

scrabblegirl It's not withdrawal. It's focusing on bodily symptoms (anxiety/stress) and hypersensitive CNS. Relaxation is the cure.

7 years for me...no let up.  If it’s not caused by drugs then why is it such a huge problem in withdrawal?

i remember when as a newbie a comment like this would send me into absolute dread

[9f...]

7 years for me...no let up.  If it’s not caused by drugs then why is it such a huge problem in withdrawal?

i remember when as a newbie a comment like this would send me into absolute dread

The reality is, 15 million people in the USA suffer from tinnitus.  For most, it's permanent.

the reality is that many people recover from tinnitus and no one has a crystal ball to predict whose will be permanent and whose won't

scrabblegirl Not permanent. Most cases of tinnitus goes away. Only those who had noise damage with some hearing loss can result in permanence. Tinnitus with no hearing loss resolves on its own. Read my previous post and read the link. Drug induced tinnitus goes away 99% of the time.

Anybody agree with professional ear wax removal to stop tinnitus? or could it be a risk to further irritate the ear and cause problems?. Sometimes tinnitus can be caused by ear wax blockage.

Anybody agree with professional ear wax removal to stop tinnitus? or could it be a risk to further irritate the ear and cause problems?. Sometimes tinnitus can be caused by ear wax blockage.

Tricky question, I’ve read it can help to reduce the tinnitus, my Dr checked my ears and I didn’t have any wax, he wanted to remove possible wax. But I’ve also read that removing wax can give tinnitus, someone posted they got tinnitus after wax removal on a different forum online. So I guess it’s a gamble. If I was you, if the tinnitus started during withdrawal, I wouldn’t remove the wax. Why would the wax that was always there all of a sudden produce tinnitus? So to be safe, I’d just allow time to heal it.

I got tinnitus from antacid medications but maybe i don't even have it and just freaked out after being stimulated after from the bad reaction. I was off benzos for 7 years and never complained of ear problems. My hearing is sensitive to all sounds. I jump if i hear something drop. Never had this before but i been under a lot of stress due to acid reflux and chest pain. You say a doctor can check the ears if there is a wax blockage causing tinnitus before removing it?. I heard irrigation is the worst and can make tinnitus worse. There are other methods to remove wax but dont know if they are safer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes my tinnitus gets louder lying down,  maybe due to  bloodflow ?

Until about 2 years the noise ofthen woke me up in the morging or in the night during a bad dream,

causing tinnitus and tremors. After getting up , the noise dropped.

My tinnitus is softer after almost 4 years,  but from the beginning also quiet days,  1 or 2 out of every 3 days,  only during waves.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a cited source as to why coming off benzos causes tinnitus and why it tends to last so long?

there are many resources with no consensus. look at some of the pinned posts. in summary, the hearing mechanism largely depends on the glutamate/GABA balance. Our human hearing mechanism has got to be one of the most finely tuned machines. imo this very complexity is the reason why it takes so long to recover

Anyone else find that ear plugs, which I wear due to  severe Hyperacusis ,  makes their tinnitus and any other head symptoms even worse ? :brickwall: Or even putting anything on your head like noise cancelling headphones whether on or off also make it a LOT fkn worse? Even effecting other pain and bodily symptoms?

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Ear plugs makes the pins and needles feeling in my ears worse.

Hi Hope  :hug: do you have both ear probs as well?

Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Nova,

Tinnitus in both ears. The left is a ringing noise and the right ear is a hissing noise. The left ear has the most pins and needles pain. Sometimes they both feel blocked like I’m in an aeroplane.

My noises are in my ears and brain :D its constantly loud and non stop in my brain, my ears are reactive to sound  :D and the hyperacusis kicks the tinnitus into a higher zone again, but it also aggravates my all over burning  nerve pain  which I have in my ear's as well :( I also have quite a few  other ear problems,  and loss of hearing to certain frequencies yet others are loud and  severely painful :D

[9f...]

She says that nortriptyline is a possible treatment for tinnitus, but I read a bunch of patient reviews that said this drug actually caused tinnitus and in some cases severe and permanent.

Covid-19 made my tinnitus much louder.  This sucks!!! 

While (SO FAR) my covid-19 case has been restricted to daily headaches that NO medication can touch and a fever that comes and goes every 3 to 4 time a week for 12 hours each incident I am doing better then most.

The headaches fell like my brain is bruised.  If I do one jumping jack the downward impact is felt through out my brain like my nerve endings where all raw.  Also my tinnitus is BAD.