Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Hi Guys,

Am fishing for a possible answer,

My T has increased this year, but is only a mild problem if I dont think on it, -most of the time..

But I have been getting in predominantly one ear -swelling and tenderness, with what appears to be a crazy ammount of wax or lipid type discharge, which seems to be corrosive on the outer ear skin..

also some tiny micro cyst type sores that heal quickly.. my inner ear seems fine, and I do NOT think its infection...

There seems to be a relation to taking fish oil, and I wonder if it isnt WD affecting some type of secretory glands, and an overall increase of lipids in my system...??

I did also start reducing lyrica at this time, but I have before and cant remember a problem..

My Dr said no infection, but offered steroids for sinus congestion...

It is not  mucus, and I have no nasal discharge..

Its getting to the point im goung to have to treat with something...??

Anyways, thanks for any thoughts..

:)

I have heard of B/Z W/D doing bizarre things but I think you just hit the ball out of the park with this S/X.

Not going to argue..!! I best not write it off to WD just yet...

Trouble is it seems to follow my cut n hold pattern, and my skin pours out oil..

Also I know several people with an intense drug history that now have problems that I could see this turning into.. prob a coincidence, and their diognosis ranges from some super bug?? To past blunt force trauma..??

I have stopped the fish oil (2xcaps -2-3x week), and it is clearing up again..??

I guess time will tell.. -not stressing -yet..

I did read something?? about the body producing lipids to protect against glutimate storms, but thats all a bit beyond me..

And there may be an opiate connection to this, if I look way back..

Anyways, was worth a try..

Thanks Guys...

Hi CF  :hug: I get the above along with pus filled pain feel lumps, tender lumps in my ears mouth and externally I've had it where the sun don't shine too  ;D like my  butt crack, crotch area and its definitely withdrawal. I get corrosive liquid that runs and burns like fuck on my skin running form my eyes and baseball sized lumps of wax dropping outta my ears too some kind of fluid. The hell noise I can hear constantly which I used to think was Tinnitus isn't its definitely coming from my brain LOUDLY but my hyperacusis is fkn hell  :D

I also get what looks like sharp salt  crystals coming outta my skin and eyes and only found one other person on here out pf 20.00 that said they get it as well, and besides that I had some other bizarre crap no-one has had but its DEFINITELY withdrawal related. I reckon there must be thousands if not hundred of thousands of mad symptoms people have had blood pour like sweat out of their skin bleed form the eyes all sorts of funky stuff and it was all withdrawal related . But certainly have any symptoms you are concerned about checked out :)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi again Nova, :)

Im sure glad its not that bad..!! But yes, my body has also been eliminating through the skin, as it does...

I been looking into this ear discharge today, sounds like wax production from the omega 3 fish oil, which turns out to be 3000mg/dose... -probs a bit much maybe...

Anyways, we will see..

Those tiny cyst things are hard little lumps, The first I thought was a tiny tick, or a splinter.. It left a pin hole when pulled out.. They have stopped for now...

Not much in the way of normal pimples though, so there is that..!!

Ta for responding.. -I remember some of those threads you mentioned.. odd stuff indeed..!!

Not everybody's tinnitus was/is caused by benzos or benzo WD, and most people who have tinnitus have likely never swallowed a benzo in their life.  One major cause of tinnitus is acoustic trauma, such as loud noises, exposure to loud music, misuse of headphones and earbuds, and more.  Unless you are absolutely certain that your tinnitus was not caused by acoustic trauma, you must take extra precautionary care of your hearing so as not to make matters worse, and that means protecting your ears from more damage.  I recommend carrying earplugs or earmuffs at all times,  and using them when needed. You'd be better off not to use headphones or earbuds at all but, if you must, be sure not to blast them or listen for too long.  Don't risk making your tinnitus or hearing any worse than it is, and be safe rather than sorry.

I had tinnitus for 30 years from LOUD rock music and on a scale on 1  to 10  I had a "2"

Then I did a C/T on benzo's and it got so loud that simply calling it a "10" would not be

enough! Not even close :idiot:  It went up to something like a '500'!

I was amazing to me that a mind could generate that much sound, I truly thought my life was over, just like having my head stuck in side a jet engine on full after burner when it peaked!

These days I have redefined my tinnitus scale from  a .0001  to 10 scale  ;D 

My hearing damage level or tinnitus level before benzo's was a .0015 on a scale of .0001 to 10 :o

I never once thought that a simple "10" could underplay the absurdly loud horror of what seemed like a 400 pound brass fog horn blasting into my ears 24/7 for 18 months :idiot::o !

It does get better, very slowly with endless bad days sprinkled in-between the good ones.

If you wait for tinnitus healing in the classic sense of "HEALING" it may drive you crazy.  About

all I could do was try to live life (with ear buds and MP3 player in hand) and once every 4 to 6 months try to assess how much better it got since the last assessment :'( :'( :'(

Not everybody's tinnitus was/is caused by benzos or benzo WD, and most people who have tinnitus have likely never swallowed a benzo in their life.  One major cause of tinnitus is acoustic trauma, such as loud noises, exposure to loud music, misuse of headphones and earbuds, and more.  Unless you are absolutely certain that your tinnitus was not caused by acoustic trauma, you must take extra precautionary care of your hearing so as not to make matters worse, and that means protecting your ears from more damage.  I recommend carrying earplugs or earmuffs at all times,  and using them when needed. You'd be better off not to use headphones or earbuds at all but, if you must, be sure not to blast them or listen for too long.  Don't risk making your tinnitus or hearing any worse than it is, and be safe rather than sorry.

I had tinnitus for 30 years from LOUD rock music and on a scale on 1  to 10  I had a "2"

Then I did a C/T on benzo's and it got so loud that simply calling it a "10" would not be

enough! Not even close :idiot:  It went up to something like a '500'!

I was amazing to me that a mind could generate that much sound, I truly thought my life was over, just like having my head stuck in side a jet engine on full after burner when it peaked!

These days I have redefined my tinnitus scale from  a .0001  to 10 scale  ;D 

My hearing damage level or tinnitus level before benzo's was a .0015 on a scale of .0001 to 10 :o

I never once thought that a simple "10" could underplay the absurdly loud horror of what seemed like a 400 pound brass fog horn blasting into my ears 24/7 for 18 months :idiot::o !

It does get better, very slowly with endless bad days sprinkled in-between the good ones.

If you wait for tinnitus healing in the classic sense of "HEALING" it may drive you crazy.  About

all I could do was try to live life (with ear buds and MP3 player in hand) and once every 4 to 6 months try to assess how much better it got since the last assessment :'( :'( :'(

Hi Birdy  ;D:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

haven't looked here for a while. my tinnitus is there but manageable.

I am wondering if anybody here tried Pycnogenol. there is some evidence that it reduces tinnitus.

I started taking it for unrelated reasons, but will observe how my tinnitus goes, and report back.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1019/pycnogenol

I'd never heard of it but Pycnogenol seems to increse blood flow.  Gingko biloba also does this.  Unless your tinnitus is caused by a blood flow problem, then taking a drug that increases blood flow will not help with tinnitus.  Thinning the blood too much can also be dangerous.

Never have worked out why but ever since my tinnitus started due to a rapid taper it is always bad if I take a short nap, sleeping for hours makes it better but 15 or 30 mins sleep and within 5 mins of waking up it will be screaming at me.

Just wondered if this in normal or unique to me?

2trusting

Can everyone here please describe your hyperacusis?

Like, what sets it off? Is it constant? Does it painfully hurt, or is it more of an annoyance? OR. does it feel like nails on a chalkboard? Does it make your vision bounce? Does it make your head vibrate? Give you chills up and down your spine?

Is one ear worse than the other?

There have been times where certain sound frequencies, such as someone's voice, has caused me to lose my balance.

And do you have any other vestibular symptoms? Does anything make them worse - exertion, looking around too fast?

Birdy, did you say in another site that cyproheptadine reduced your tinnitus?

Hi Dude,

Yes it is still helping me.  I am on about 5 drugs and all together they put a good dent in my tinnitus.

Example: Antidepressants (SSRI's) are known to cause tinnitus.  Too much Serotonin simply over stimulates the brain and cyproheptadine forces Serotonin to re-uptake much faster so it does the opposite of an SSRI. 

Warning this drug can make you feel suicidal so you need to warn any people your living with that your on it.

After 14 days on it my tinnitus improved,,,  or it improved my mental attitude toward it.  Hard to say what it really did but it made me NOT obsess about the tinnitus any longer which works too ;D  I still hear the tinnitus BUT any importance I placed on the sound was neutralized about 3000%, I just did not care about it any longer. Interesting effect!!

I also take Lyrica and when mixed with Tiagabine they make a potent combo to get gaba levels back up to a useful level.

Tiagabine  is a simple GABA re-uptake inhibitor which does not attach to gabaA receptors like a benzo does so it can relieve S/X without down regulation of GABAA receptors.  Raw GABA in the brain binds to the same receptors a benzo does.  Gaba binds for about 15 to 30 minutes and pops off the receptor and is caught for recycling by multiple re-uptake PUMPS surrounding the synaptic clef.

SEE VIDEO - https://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine/nervous-system-and-sensory-infor/neural-cells-and-neurotransmitters/v/neurotransmitter-removal

Tiagabine blocks the re-uptake PUMPS so basically you have much higher levels of active gaba available to bind to BZD, NMDA and AMPA receptors in your brain offering great relief.

These drugs could be tapered too but it's not the typical benzo hell many experience.

People have stayed on Tiagabine and cyproheptadine, etc for decades and do not experience any kind of nasty "Tolerance" situation.  Steady doses provide steady results.  Still I do every thing in my power to get off these drugs without "rocking the boat" too hard :thumbsup:

I take 12mg 3 X a day for 36mg per day total of Tiagabine and also take Lyrica 450mg per day.  Well at least they are not benzo's ;D

Makes me sleepy and anxiety is gone but also all the ear problems are GONE too :D!  One side effect is this kind of a temporary deafness which makes my hearing feel muffled but that is what the opposite of what Noise Sensitivity is.  I guess you have to go a little deaf temporarily to calm the loudness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiagabine

Wow! Birdy thank you so much for the post! Glad to read that your T neutralized about 3000% and you did not care about it.

The problem is that tinnitus listed as adverse effect of cyproheptadine in Wiki, so I'm afraid to get another tinnitus over my existing if I try it.

Interesting that Tiagabine is a simple GABA re-uptake inhibitor.

I have tried another anticonvulsants, Carbamazepine which probably appears to increase the action of GABAA receptors, but unfortunately it is only amplifying my T and make me drunk while on it.

There is also anticonvulsants, Lamotrigine that also appears to increase the action of GABA receptors(not sure if GABAA).

I heard from one psychiatrist that Carbamazepine or Lamotrigine can reduce T for people who also have visual snow.

Like, what sets it off? Is it constant? Does it painfully hurt, or is it more of an annoyance? OR. does it feel like nails on a chalkboard? Does it make your vision bounce? Does it make your head vibrate? Give you chills up and down your spine?

There have been times where certain sound frequencies, such as someone's voice, has caused me to lose my balance.

And do you have any other vestibular symptoms? Does anything make them worse - exertion, looking around too fast?

I had severe hyperacusis at beginning of w/d, it just spike my T and nothing else.

I hear the noise in my head, not sure if it comes from my ears.

mine is more of sizzling sound in the brain.

got this crap about year and a half ago(19 months) after mixing triazolam, retoril, and klonopin for two days.

it's not getting any better. in fact, it seems to be getting worse lately.

crossing my fingers that this will not be permanent along with other crazy symptoms.

thank you for this thread birdman.

I have this sizzling sound too.

Has it gotten any better for you?

*watches as this question goes totally ignored*

got this crap about year and a half ago(19 months) after mixing triazolam, retoril, and klonopin for two days.

crossing my fingers that this will not be permanent along with other crazy symptoms.

I have too.

Sometimes get better, but I do not know if it weakened over time, I hope..

Much better if I sleeping well + if I take complex B + Zinc + Magnesium + Q10(changing the sizzling/hiss noise from ssshsshss to ssssssss). You only can take the supplements after normal sleeping.

I have too.

Much better if I sleeping well + if I take complex B + Zinc + Magnesium + Q10(changing the sizzling/hiss noise from ssshsshss to ssssssss). You only can take the supplements after normal sleeping.

Thank you so much for sharing this, will definitely try those supplements together

do you also have jaw tensions?

I have too.

Thank you so much for sharing this, will definitely try those supplements together

do you also have jaw tensions?

No I dont have.

Antipsychotics for treatment tinnitus?

I read posts of some members in TT forum that say Sulpiride + hydroxyzine decrease at least 30% of tinnitus volume that caused by benzo w/d.

Also, you can read about study Sulpiride plus hydroxyzine decrease tinnitus perception.

Sulpiride is a selective antagonist at dopamine D2 and D3 receptors. Previously used to treat schizophrenia, today Sulpiride also used against dizziness, nausea and as sedative drug.

Hydroxyzine is an weakly antagonist of the dopamine D2 receptor, serotonin 5-HT2A receptor and α1-adrenergic receptor. Hydroxyzine is a first-generation antihistamineIn.

I guess antipsychotics can improve the noise, but I do not have the courage to take them, because of extrapyramidal side effects.

Has anyone tried antipsychotics ?

Hi guys, please I need some help.

I have posted in this thread before but my T is been really bad the last few months. I am still tapering, I am dry cutting Ativan because valium just made me feel suicidal.

I am at 1,5mg from 5mgs and I tapered 3,5 mgs in 4 months. My total use was not that long so I figured I could cut 0.25 a week. Now I am making 0.125 cuts a week and should be done on 12 october at this rate. It is reasonably fast but besides the T I was doing pretty good.

But I am worried so much with the louder Tinnitus, I can't think straight and have head tightness and brainfog.

I also take 5mgs of paroxetine and 12.5 mgs of seroquel. I was misdiagnosed by my Pdocs and they perscribed this and I want to taper the benzo first and then the rest. I already went down in dose in both fearly quickly after starting them because they weren't helping.

But the T is just relentless en I am wondering if this tapering is damaging my brain and causing more T. I have been reading about it maybe being too much glutamate but it is all so complicated to study with this benzo brain. But I need to do something...

Is there any advice from you guys whether to try some med maybe to counter this or any supplements or food. I am so worried. I don't know what is safe to take with this taper and other meds.

I think a factor also being that I take my Ativan in 2 doses per day and I feel ok don't have interdose withdrawals but just this damn loud T. And maybe it is the yoyo effect of the Ativan. If this could be helped a little I would be so happy but where to go for help, docs know nothing about benzo's or T and I feel so trapped and alone in this. This whole thread is full of information but it is just too much to comprehend atm.

Just to give some hope.

Yesterday my tinnitus went completley away for most of the day, it is back now but really low volume.

Yesterday it did not just reduce in volume it was gone, even when I tried listening for it and pluging my ears it was not there, this after 10 or so months of taper and 16 months of recovery time so just over 2 years.

I do hope it goes away permanentyl but if it just ends upas low as it is today and stays there I shall be a happy camper.

2trusting

My tinnitus got better by 90% a day after I reinstated my half dose of lorazepam(0.5m), but got to top few days later.

I am currently on 12.5 mgs of quetiapine. And previously I was on 50mgs XR and my tinnitus was a little less loud.

Unfortunatly when I tried my former dose once this week I had a bad reaction to it although my T was again less intrusive again the next day the bad reaction to the increase was not worth it. So I am back on 12.5 IR which doesn't help my T.

My tinnitus got better by 90% a day after I reinstated my half dose of lorazepam(0.5m), but got to top few days later.

Short acting benzo's used in the lower end of the MG spectrum do that.  Too bad you did not use Valium like Ashton suggest.  Ativan hits the brain hard and harsh like a hammer so that is bound to happen unless you plan on titration of the Ativan about 8 times a day / every 3 hours to soften the blow.  Long acting benzo's have special qualities during the VERY end of a taper if done slowly enough.

Short acting benzo's used in the lower end of the MG spectrum do that.  Too bad you did not use Valium like Ashton suggest.  Ativan hits the brain hard and harsh like a hammer so that is bound to happen unless you plan on titration of the Ativan about 8 times a day / every 3 hours to soften the blow.  Long acting benzo's have special qualities during the VERY end of a taper if done slowly enough.

Thank you Birdy, but I'm confused how really I addicted, because in days when my T becomes calm I take my next dose at night and the next day it screams, but if I skipping one day dose, the calm can hold out two days. In the other side I can't stand 2-3 days without benzo.

• 2 weeks later...

URGENTLY NEED YOUR HELP!

Boys and girls,

I'm about 3-4 days ago tapered from 0.5 to 0.4mm lorazepam,

Today in the evening I started feeling tooo bad and T screaming, now I took overdose 1mg, I think to get one more extra mg to avoid T worsening.

What are you suggesting me??

I think I feeling this hell again... OMG!

But I do not know what I actually feel, it's felling mixed emotions with horror fear and trembling, it's just felling hell.

UPDATE:

30 min after 1mg lorazepam I felling better and T less screaming.

I think now to get another shot of 1mg lorazepam to avoid deterioration.

Hey! How did your tinnitus start? I suddenly got a biping sound in my left ear. It went away in like 3 seconds, but it scared me shitless considering I have barely startet to taper.

Mine just started gradual and built up.. Its loud!! (For me) but it hasnt actually bothered me that much unless I think on it...

I probs should avoid this thread...!!

I posted a little back about exessive production of a slightly corrosive fluid from my ear/s.. I thought it to be lipid or wax based.. -no real Idea.. Confirmed NO infection etc..

To follow up..

I beleive It was from fish oil @ 2x RDI... Possibly with an increase in cheese and avocardo..? 

-Just my thoughts as they relate to me...

• 2 weeks later...
Do any of you notice your tinnitus getting worse before meals (probably from low blood sugar) and then improving after meals?  Mine fluctuates a lot.  I'm approaching 2-1/2 years off Clonazepam and tinnitus is still my worst symptom.  I didn't have it before benzo withdrawal, so it is definitely a withdrawal symptom, but I really fear it will never go away.  :'(