Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

I've had T for about 10 years, time flies.  I have tried a lot of things, but I noticed some real help since I changed my nutrition, but I still have it.  I do think mine is pure anxiety, as I have it bad right this minute. I have my simple apps on both my phones (chrome Doze ) that I use at night, especially on waking when it's at it's worst.  Once I get busy with my day, get out for errands, walks, the gym, around more people I don't realize it's even happening.  Silence for me can be the enemy so I keep my TV on a lovely raining and fireplace sound and if that doesn't do it, then turn my apps on. Chrome Doze is on Android, not sure about Iphone.

The more I just accept it, it seems to be better, maybe just habituating but I still want it to dissappear and never raise it's ugly head again.  I believe the benzo caused it, just too much info on that to ignore the possibility.  I'm hoping for me and you and millions who suffer with this insidious issue.  I can't help but feel in my gut that this can subside the better my brain-functions all return.

• Like 1

The hard thing for me is that once or twice a week the T level drops to around 2 and I get hopeful that it will last a bit.  Then I wake up in the middle of the night and it shoots back up and I get deflated.  I want off the V but have read here that a slower taper is better?

I agree with you that anxiety is a huge factor and I started out on B's bc of Gen Anx.  I had no idea what I was headed for.  I can't imagine having this for 10 years,  I. just can't.

Alycat

The hard thing for me is that once or twice a week the T level drops to around 2 and I get hopeful that it will last a bit.  Then I wake up in the middle of the night and it shoots back up and I get deflated.  I want off the V but have read here that a slower taper is better?

I agree with you that anxiety is a huge factor and I started out on B's bc of Gen Anx.  I had no idea what I was headed for.  I can't imagine having this for 10 years,  I. just can't.

Alycat

I keep reading the success stories, both the windows, and the waves.  We'll make it if we stick here, it feels the only safe place I have to communicate, and to find hope  :smitten:  First things first is to get off the med, and then see how my body heals, including the tinnitus, I long to be rid of that as well  ::)

• Like 1

Im with you on that!  The Tenacious Tinnitus Club is exactly where I belong.  Other symptoms at this time,  are nowhere near as disturbing as this.  Thanks for the kind welcome and I'll be here a while.

Alycat

Im with you on that!  The Tenacious Tinnitus Club is exactly where I belong.  Other symptoms at this time,  are nowhere near as disturbing as this.  Thanks for the kind welcome and I'll be here a while.

Alycat

I may have adapted to mine but I can remember the hell I went through until I did.  And sometimes, it still bring me to tears begging for it to please stop.  Mine was so weird, it started with a sound just like ocean wash in my ears/head.  I could figure it out but it came when I got up at night to go, you know?  Then it turned to ringing at some point, can't remember, but it was pretty hard to get used to, and find some things like my sound app that masks the sound so I can sleep at night.

Oregonlady if you're still tapering perhaps you'll be writing a different story after you've healed?  Thats my hope for all of us.  Do you follow any diet routine to lower glutamate?

AC

No nutritional, or supplements to heal GABA or Glutamate receptors.  I've already been on a ketogenic diet, so I believe my foods are working for the good.  I  have no more T2 Diabetes symptoms and didn't need to take what the MD wanted me to when I was diagnosed with it.  I did it with nutrition and exercise, evidently as I didn't change anything else.

I want more quality of life though, and can't wait to see if I'm as better as I think/hope I'll be ;)  I can't say I haven't looked into supplements and also some herbals but I decided against them believing that the body, including brain, can heal itself if we dump the garbage.  I so hope so, and yes, for all of us  :smitten::thumbsup:

That's great. Ive lost weight because Im wary of many rich foods, alcohol, caffeine, dairy etc.  Ive got a list of glutamate producing foods that I avoid.  Lost 36 pounds this past 12 months.  Ive noticed that the level of my T gets set in the middle of my sleep and whatever I wake up with is what I have all day unless I travel in my car then up it goes.  So many things can trigger reactive T!!  :o

Alycat

That's great. Ive lost weight because Im wary of many rich foods, alcohol, caffeine, dairy etc.  Ive got a list of glutamate producing foods that I avoid.  Lost 36 pounds this past 12 months.  Ive noticed that the level of my T gets set in the middle of my sleep and whatever I wake up with is what I have all day unless I travel in my car then up it goes.  So many things can trigger reactive T!!  :o

Alycat

I've had mine at least 7 years and I think I've gotten used to it, but I do have spikes, and times I lie down to go to bed and I don't turn my little app on at all, no need.  But the more I become aware I have so little ringing, I end up turning the app on, sort of out of fear I think.  If I fall right to sleep when I hardly hear it, and wake in the night, which I usually do, I get up to go to the bathroom, and the T is back again  :-\ have to use my app.

I really think mine could be the benzo because benzos work in our brains, like you mention the glutamate, not eating foods that have it.  I haven't looked into that to see if I'm eating things that trigger it, but I will.  As I understand it, the GABA and Glutamate Receptors are destroyed by benzos but "taken over by them" so the body/brains "natural" function is stopped.  When we are off the benzos I am hearing that natural functions can come back. 

I'm having pc problems and may not be back for a bit, but I think we have good and better health on the way as we get off these pills, and allow the body/brain to heal itself.  I'm focused on good nutrition and exercise so hopefully, I will sort of be ahead of the game.  I don't want to take anything to try and "help" the natural process though, like supplements because some of them have, in the past, had a weird effect on me, some side effect I mean.  Hang in there, and try to focus on mending, we can do this, and I will talk later after I try to fix what's going wrong this time with my puter ;)

Yesterday I had a good day and  was active and ate right.

Last nite I took my dose of V and 200 mg of gabapentin as usual.  I woke up at 1 am and went to my quiet room and watched tv until I got sleepy (my usual routine).  I turned on the relaxation video on YouTube with a dark screen and T was very low.  I woke up, T was low around 4 AM.  Went back to sleep and when I woke at 8 AM the T was screaming.  I can't figure that out.  Was it because I got up late and the glutamate flooded my brain?  I wish I understood the patterns of this horrible symptom.

I will add that Im am not consciously feeling anxiety or other withdrawal symptoms as best I can tell.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Alycat

My first thought which I've thought of with mine is that when we get a good, low T, when it comes back it seems like it's louder because we got such a break from it.  I don't know, that's for sure, but I suspect mine is from the benzo and hope to be rid of it.

I also think that for me, it's best not to focus on it, when I do, I start noticing it more, and, it does seem to get louder.  Keeping busy is my best friend, and I neglect that some days.  Also being around noise is good for me although I cringe at too loud of noises because I get paranoid that it will make my T worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I think this will be my first post here on BB. I appreciate you taking your time reading my story.

My name is Marko and I'm from Sweden. Some 3 years ago I got Oxazepam and Zopiclone, for my sleep issues. I'm Bipolar (taking Lithium only) so I guess sleeping pills are mandatory for people like me. However, I was on it for 5-6 months until one day when I suddenly felt really sick. I guess I was in acute. I did a quick taper on 2 weeks not knowing better. (My doctor was clueless what has happened to me)

With time I got better, but far from 100. Still, until this day I've got different vision disturbances and facial sensations, and some other minor health problems. Can't tolerate Coffee or alcohol. My body is hypersensitive to all substances.

When I got sick from Covid one year ago I also developed occasional skin burning on my legs, arms, hands, feet and forehead. I'm sure I would have tolerated the virus much better if I wouldn't have got this weakness from the Benzos I was taking.

However, that also seemed to subside with time.

Some 2 months ago I felt something was wrong with me. Maybe another wave? I felt so weird in my head that I had to quit nursing school. Maybe I wasn't prepared for the stress that going in school could bring upon me?

About 20 days ago I've suddenly developed Tinnitus. Never had Tinnitus that persistent and loud in my life. It's 24/7. (I also have vivid dreams this days) I can't see any other reason for me to have T except the fact that I was on Benzos for 2,5 years ago.

Weird thing is, that my facial symptoms intensified a lot since these last 2 months, and I think that they somehow progressed to change some muscles inside my ears. What do you think?

Hi!

I think this will be my first post here on BB. I appreciate you taking your time reading my story.

My name is Marko and I'm from Sweden. Some 3 years ago I got Oxazepam and Zopiclone, for my sleep issues. I'm Bipolar (taking Lithium only) so I guess sleeping pills are mandatory for people like me. However, I was on it for 5-6 months until one day when I suddenly felt really sick. I guess I was in acute. I did a quick taper on 2 weeks not knowing better. (My doctor was clueless what has happened to me)

With time I got better, but far from 100. Still, until this day I've got different vision disturbances and facial sensations, and some other minor health problems. Can't tolerate Coffee or alcohol. My body is hypersensitive to all substances.

When I got sick from Covid one year ago I also developed occasional skin burning on my legs, arms, hands, feet and forehead. I'm sure I would have tolerated the virus much better if I wouldn't have got this weakness from the Benzos I was taking.

However, that also seemed to subside with time.

Some 2 months ago I felt something was wrong with me. Maybe another wave? I felt so weird in my head that I had to quit nursing school. Maybe I wasn't prepared for the stress that going in school could bring upon me?

About 20 days ago I've suddenly developed Tinnitus. Never had Tinnitus that persistent and loud in my life. It's 24/7. (I also have vivid dreams this days) I can't see any other reason for me to have T except the fact that I was on Benzos for 2,5 years ago.

Weird thing is, that my facial symptoms intensified a lot since these last 2 months, and I think that they somehow progressed to change some muscles inside my ears. What do you think?

Hello DrDikafon, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m sure sorry to hear about the resurgence of some symptoms and the arrival of still others, but they sure seem like recovery issues to me.  I know its discouraging to have them show up after all this time but I think you may be on to something when you mention the stress of your schooling.  I believe stress to be the number one contributor to increased symptom severity. 

Have you changed anything lately, new medications or supplements?  If not, then I’d sure think it was stress, how long as it been since you quit school?

We’re happy you found us and I hope we can help you.

Pamster

I've actually lowered my Lithium dosage from 5 to 3 pills with approximately 3 months between each cut. I hope this isn't the reason why I'm so much worse, because I'll never forgive myself. But then I was thinking that maybe my Lithium intake was the reason why I still had some lingering symptoms.  :-[

I've actually lowered my Lithium dosage from 5 to 3 pills with approximately 3 months between each cut. I hope this isn't the reason why I'm so much worse, because I'll never forgive myself. But then I was thinking that maybe my Lithium intake was the reason why I still had some lingering symptoms.  :-[

How long has it been since you discontinued the Oxazepam and Zopiclone, average recovery after cessation is between 1 and 2 years.  It took me 14 months to recover from my cold turkey so if you’re under that time frame then you’re most likely dealing with symptoms from the benzo’s but it might be a good idea to hold off on tapering the lithium anymore.

It was 2 1/2 years ago.

Do you think I should stabilise on my lithium dose? That my Tinnitus can get better if I stay on Lithium?

It was 2 1/2 years ago.

Do you think I should stabilise on my lithium dose? That my Tinnitus can get better if I stay on Lithium?

I think stabilizing is a good idea but I have no idea lithium plays a part in tinnitus, either causing or preventing.  Is your doctor aware you’re tapering the lithium?

You might put a post on the Other Medications and ask about Lithium, see if other members have experience. 

Does lithium affect the CNS/brain? If so it plays a part in tinnitus. Tinnitus is not about the ear or even haircells in the ear. The only affect that that has is the sound you have. If you hear one tone you lost hair cells in one spot, if you hear the sound of the sea for instance it's many.

I posted here about Hyperacusis that emerged while tapering. That went away when I began NAD+ nasal spray. Not sure why, but I was happy. I jumped using NAD+, got thrown into acute, annnnd... Tinnitus! Hyperacusis never returned, but I developed constant tinnitus. It got worse about a week after jumping. Started in left ear, spread to the right. A constant chime in both ears. I'm 5 weeks out now, and it is finally going down in intensity. It hasn't really bothered me too much. I notice it mostly at night before falling asleep, when waking up in the morning, and during afternoon meditation. I just have a single, constant, ring. The same tone.  :crazy: Hoping as I move into Post-Acute, it continues to abate. Not as loud now, and for the first time in over a year, I'm jamming to music. Unfortunately, my subwoofer died, I bought a new one, hooking it up today.  :D Music tends to drown out the ringing a bit. How did I escape this mostly during tapering, only to have it show up after jumping? Oh, well! None of this benzo stuff makes any sense.  ::)

Do you think the Nasal Spray spiked your T?  Id rather taper more slowly than chance a spike.

No. The nasal spray didn't bring on tinnitus. Jumping using iontophoresis NAD+ patches did. I don't think the NAD+ had anything to do with it, I think it's just that I was thrown into a pretty bad acute post jump from 2.75 mg of diazepam. I've had a couple follow-up's of iontophoresis NAD+, and if anything, it knocks w/d symptoms down overall. I am doing another round of iontophoresis NAD+ in a week, as by now, there's very little diazepam left in my system, will be .03 mg by Tuesday of this week. Often the final NAD+ treatment further promotes healing. It certainly accelerated healing post-jump. I expect the tinnitus will continue to abate as time goes by. It already has subsided somewhat, I even have short periods where it mostly stops. It doesn't bother me too much, the Hyperacusis was far worse. I frankly don't miss that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I just wanted to tell everyone that Ibuprofen helped some people with Tinnitus and that it also is a Glutamate blocker. I will try this later during the day.
  • Like 1