Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Sounds simple but it really works given enough time.  Tinnitus is no different than your favorite song that you crank up to full blast loudness on the radio. Its just a sound.

Try loving it, give it two months but never ever let your brain think that you hate it ever!!!!!!!!!  Your brain is always listening so do not add fuel to the fire. 

I am clearly in the wrong thread.

Nobody suffering with a truly severe case (or who has suffered with in the past and isn't drugged to the gills) would ever write some hippy bullshit like this.

Understandable.  It does get better in time.  The first thing that happens is you will start getting good days and bad days.

After that the good days get more frequent.  Still time seems to drag on.

Maskers really helped me BIG TIME! I was plugged into my Iphone or ipod 24/7 for years and if you find the right white noise or jet noise frequency the tinnitus is pretty much neutered on the spot.

I reinstated a few times at lower levels since I went too fast TWICE.  What I learned about reinstates is they take about 20 or 30 days to actually kick in for us "T" people.  I always shake my head when people take one pill and freakout when they do not get results ASAP. 

The third time tapering I REFUSED to cut unless my tinnitus was at a livable level.

Sometimes I held for a month or two, you can't force healing by speed-cutting, it backfires every time.

Jumping does not heal.  Jumping is for people who already are 99% healed.  I wrote my own rule book after 7 years of this crap.

I learned when reinstating and or tapering that the "Cha-Cha" method is sometimes needed  :D

"Cha-Cha"Take 1 step back and two steps forward  

nova 1: definitely +1 on doing keto. everybody on this forum should give at least a try for 30 days.

I still have some minor tinnitus left. otherwise mostly healed, posted a success story as well. I have been researching general health, other then just benzo w/d for a long time.

I did stumble upon a substance called DMSO. it has a very wide array of healing properties, however in terms of tinnitus I paste below. I have not tried it yet, and will keep researching it. however for those of you who are interested:

Abstract

In fifteen patients affected by essential nonvibratory tinnitus, local applications in the external auditive canal of 2 ml medicated DMSO spray were made. The spray solution contained DMSO integrated with anti-inflammatory and vasodilatory substances. This application was repeated every four days for a month. At the same time each patient was administered a daily intramuscular injection of a preparation that contained DMSO and a vasodilatory component. The therapeutic effect was evaluated through the subjective modification of the symptom and functional tests of the auditory system. Of the fifteen patients treated, the tinnitus symptom completely disappeared in nine, and did not return during a one-year observation period. The patient's symptoms diminished in two cases, and in four cases the permanent tinnitus became occasional, triggered principally by environmental cold. It is important to note that among the concomitant signs, the five patients with vertigo noted improvement. Hypacusis diminished in three of the six patients affected. Insomnia disappeared in eight and diminished in seven cases. The rise in the average tympanic membrane temperature from 36.8 degrees C before to 37.9 degrees C after treatment was noteworthy. This could indicate an improvement of the blood flow in the inner ear.

Hi LOB  :hug: I tried DMSO Transdermally for pain year's ago when I thought The Benzo WD pain was arthritis for a few seconds the pain went completely, I had put it on my big toe on 1 foot then I felt like I'd been hit by a sledge hammer ( DMSO crosses the blood brain barrier very fast) and had to lay down for a while until the worse feeling I had passed. I couldn't for the life of me at the time work out why the hell I had that reaction, I used it on my younger brother to treat his Arthritis and he went from being on disability and very depressed for year's back to work as an HGV1 Driver.

I was in unbeknown tolerance withdrawal for quite some time and in the dark about Benzos, but once I did research and got seriously educated on this shit I knew what the problem was my brains to fkd up to deal with anything crossing the BBB, and it was a really negative experience when I tried it, to be honest I wouldn't recommanded it to anyone on any prescribed drug that messes with  the brain so badly as Benzos and others for this reason.

BUT...at the end of the day we are the masters of our own fate and if we feel something may help then its down to us whether or not we try it. I'm just sorry I couldn't tolerate it because for a few seconds it felt like an 'epiphany'' then it fkd me up , same as the ''Carnivore diet'' I tried all sorts of eating and I've eaten all organic and drank only spring water for many year's but it was of no help.

I was sinking further and further in to the abyss then I read up about plant toxins as I ate a lot of veg, fruit, along with grass raised meat and pastured eggs and raw dairy. Plants because they  can't move have their own defence system to stop them getting eaten and in certain doses they may not be a problem but I ate a LOT of fruit and veg as I believed it was healthy and healing, some people with have problems with plant toxins no matter how little they eat.

But I noticed other stuff going on like passing crystals  when I went to the toilet or feeling like I was passing glass when I was able to open my bowels which was for hell  year's as well , but its a LOT to explain so I'll give you a couple of links to read up on about on Oxalate's & Salicylates which are the plant toxins, I also found out fibre was the cause of my bloody year's of hell arse ripping constipation along with benzos and withdrawal  slowing or stopping up the bowel completely  and guess what? Their crystals and they get EVERYWHERE, in your blood, all organs, the brain and cause ear problems lots of people got rid of tinnitus by dropping how much Plant food they ate all like I''m doing completely and gone carnivore  :) And its not just in food either its in all sorts of personal hygiene products and other stuff, theres a list of some products as well as foods on the 'The Oxalates & Salicylates Foods List link

Sulfate V: An Introduction To Oxalate Toxicity & Gut Dysbiosis https://www.eonutrition.co.uk/blog/sulfate-v-an-introduction-to-oxalate-toxicity-gut-dysbiosis

The Oxalates & Salicylates Foods Lists http://www.pkdiet.com/pdf/oxalate%20lists.pdf

Elliot Overton - Oxalates 101

Dr Georgia Ede MD http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/faq/#grain

DMSO https://earthclinic.com/search/?q=dmso

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

nova: thank you the list of items, I will look into it.

I don't want to drag this thread of the subject too much, but have you heard of the arthritis cure via borax?

http://www.educate-yourself.org/cn/boraxconspiracy03jul12.shtml

I personally have been ingesting borax (5g / 1liter solution, 10ml every day), for months now, and I feel it helps with many issues. (don't have arthritis myself)

good luck

I don't want to drag this thread of the subject too much, but have you heard of the arthritis cure via borax?

I personally have been ingesting borax (5g / 1liter solution, 10ml every day), for months now, and I feel it helps with many issues. (don't have arthritis myself)

good luck

Hi LOB  :hug:  I did use Borax year's ago but can't remember WTH I used it for physically now!!!  :laugh: I can remember I also used it to kill  house hold mold though as well ;D

good luck

Hi LOB  :hug:  I did use Borax year's ago but can't remember WTH I used it for physically now!!!  :laugh: I can remember I also used it to kill  house hold mold though as well ;D

Interesting trivia on borax guys! :D

All I know about Borax is this:

If you want to grow oranges that are bright yellow in color, super sweet and look just like round lemons just fertilize those orange trees (must have a 5" trunk or larger) with two pounds of boxax as 'Boric Acid' per month for a few years and you get these weird bright yellow oranges that are extra sweet.  The effect on the tree takes 20 years to reverse.

Will Statin Drugs like rosuvastatin that lower your colesterosol also help your tinnutis?  Maybe YES!

However, it was found in the audiometry that, after statin use, all drugs caused to statistically significant decrease in the hearing thresholds at 6000 Hertz (p<0.05). Also, strongly increase was found in the Speech Discrimination percentages after treatment in patients using rosuvastatin 10 mg (p= 0.022). A significant decrease was found in the tinnitus frequency, duration, severity and degree of annoyance in patients using rosuvastatin 10 mg and 20 mg (p<0.05).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30447148

good luck

Interesting trivia on borax guys! :D

All I know about Borax is this:

If you want to grow oranges that are bright yellow in color, super sweet and look just like round lemons just fertilize those orange trees (must have a 5" trunk or larger) with two pounds of boxax as 'Boric Acid' per month for a few years and you get these weird bright yellow oranges that are extra sweet.  The effect on the tree takes 20 years to reverse.

(Note: Boric acid is the main ingredient in common cockroach repellent sold in 5 pound boxes in most stores, read ingredients list for 'Boric Acid')

[fc...]

good luck

Who wrote this article on borax?  It will "reverse the loosening, falling out, and decay of teeth, especially in older people"?  Ha!  I doubt it.

• 1 month later...

Well, an year after I reinstated a small dose of lorazepam, my tinnitus got better, then I tried candida diet and during this time my tinnitus further weakened and I felt very happy.

I decided to reduce the dose very very slowly, and boom my tinnitus return louder again like my first w/d.

Now I'm back in a rocket, or the rocket inside my head.

This sound is very cruel.. waiting for good

Well, an year after I reinstated a small dose of lorazepam, my tinnitus got better, then I tried candida diet and during this time my tinnitus further weakened and I felt very happy.

I decided to reduce the dose very very slowly, and boom my tinnitus return louder again like my first w/d.

yes I understand what you mean when you say the rocket inside my head for me it was like having a small jet engine running in my brain absolutely horrible but I had to analyze what was so horrible about it?

After really thinking about it listening to the sound made me nervous so this is really the sound that bothers us or are we very nervous and the sound is just along for the ride.  Before benzos I could listen to tones that were long and continuous but they did not make me nervous or anxious or make me feel bad.  I think we get mixed up it's not the tinnitus that makes us feel nervous, I think the withdrawal makes us nervous and and then we end up blaming the tinnitus.

So what comes first the chicken or the egg?

I think we are deeply nervous with high anxiety levels, therefore the tinnitus becomes a problem after-the-fact.

Does anybody agree?

yes I understand what you mean when you say the rocket inside my head for me it was like having a small jet engine running in my brain absolutely horrible but I had to analyze what was so horrible about it?

After really thinking about it listening to the sound made me nervous so this is really the sound that bothers us or are we very nervous and the sound is just along for the ride.  Before benzos I could listen to tones that were long and continuous but they did not make me nervous or anxious or make me feel bad.  I think we get mixed up it's not the tinnitus that makes us feel nervous, I think the withdrawal makes us nervous and and then we end up blaming the tinnitus.

I think we are deeply nervous with high anxiety levels, therefore the tinnitus becomes a problem after-the-fact.

Does anybody agree?

I have had some form of tinnitus for years before it got bad through benzo use.

If I was doing something loud (motorcycles or cars) or at a concert I would get ringing in my ears after, some times I would have a faint hiss also, these did not bother me in the slightest.

Only when I started to taper benzos did the concern start.

I remember the first time I got really scared was when I was told to cut my klonopin in 1/2 for a week then stop, on week 2 I literally woke up to the "jet engine" in my brain and from there it was all down hill.

I still get the jet engine from time to time but after 3 years it is more of an annoyance now.

After really thinking about it listening to the sound made me nervous so this is really the sound that bothers us or are we very nervous and the sound is just along for the ride. Before benzos I could listen to tones that were long and continuous but they did not make me nervous or anxious or make me feel bad.  I think we get mixed up it's not the tinnitus that makes us feel nervous, I think the withdrawal makes us nervous and and then we end up blaming the tinnitus.

Does anybody agree?

Tends to agree, noise is accompanied with nervous, irritability and no patience for many things.

But there is something I do not understand that how the hell sleeping affect the tinnitus???

One day you wake up with mild tinnitus and some other day with jet engine in your head?!

Sometimes when I wake up with loud noise, I continue to sleep few more hours and my tinnitus become lower.

In the other hand, there are also reverse cases when I wake up after a few hours of sleeping with mild tinnitus, I continue to sleep few more hours and boom getting loud noise after awakening.

It's sad, I've learned to catch the wave when I wake up with a quiet noise, do not go on sleeping.. haha  :laugh:

Now, after a jet engine, I had three quiet days of fun, there should be some logic to this mechanism.

After really thinking about it listening to the sound made me nervous so this is really the sound that bothers us or are we very nervous and the sound is just along for the ride. Before benzos I could listen to tones that were long and continuous but they did not make me nervous or anxious or make me feel bad.  I think we get mixed up it's not the tinnitus that makes us feel nervous, I think the withdrawal makes us nervous and and then we end up blaming the tinnitus.

Does anybody agree?

Tends to agree, noise is accompanied with nervous, irritability and no patience for many things.

But there is something I do not understand that how the hell sleeping affect the tinnitus???

One day you wake up with mild tinnitus and some other day with jet engine in your head?!

Sometimes when I wake up with loud noise, I continue to sleep few more hours and my tinnitus become lower.

In the other hand, there are also reverse cases when I wake up after a few hours of sleeping with mild tinnitus, I continue to sleep few more hours and boom getting loud noise after awakening.

It's sad, I've learned to catch the wave when I wake up with a quiet noise, do not go on sleeping.. haha  :laugh:

Now, after a jet engine, I had three quiet days of fun, there should be some logic to this mechanism.

that one is a fairly easy answer.  If I have a great night sleep I tend to get a lot of GABA and I wake up with low tinnitus and kinda sleepy so I tend to set my alarm clock early these days even if it only means two hours sleep.

In fact sleep deprivation has been my greatest friend.  If I tend to go to bed real late and wake up early my overall tinnitus and anxiety are very low compared to the day's when I get too much sleep. 

I think our brain is trying to make us rest and really turns up the GABA juice to force us to get some rest.  On weeks when I have really been sleep deprived my tinnitus is definitely lower but I also feel sluggish and tired and half-asleep, rundown and rested.

It seems like I can't win.  If I want to be alert I'm going to have to take the tinnitus and get plenty of sleep.  Anything to do with benzos has a unhappy ending in the short run while our understanding of how this jigsaw puzzle fits together tends to grow as this forum continues to be a great source of knowledge.

Tally-ho :D

that one is a fairly easy answer.  If I have a great night sleep I tend to get a lot of GABA and I wake up with low tinnitus and kinda sleepy so I tend to set my alarm clock early these days even if it only means two hours sleep.

You have contradictions in your words.

On the one hand you say if you have a great night sleep, so you wake up with low tinnitus.

In the other hand you say you have loud tinnitus after long sleep and low tinnitus after short two hours sleep.

Earlier in recovery that seemed to be the pattern for me, being a little sleep deprived meant the tinnitus was lower, but the further out I get, this is no longer the case. I've had plenty of times where I have a good sleep (or just doze in bed an extra  hour on the weekend) and the tinnitus was still low. At this point I think it has more to do with whatever my brain is processing while I'm asleep.

I need some help.......my hyperacusis is getting worse and worse - spoons on dishes irritate me, as do my children (and I have 7 of them) - even phone conversations at times.  Always had sensitive ears to a degree so of course, I'm getting hit here and it's very painful at times.  I am having acute symptoms while trying to wean down, still at a relatively high dose.  Difficult circumstances to say the least.  Anyhow, I was wearing some earplugs to help but then I recently developed tinnitus, which thankfully, isn't severe at this time and I pray it doesn't become - I feel for those that have it severe as I didn't even know it could get that bad.  I can't wear headphones all day because they squeeze my head - even light music in the car irritates me now and I don't even want to go out, partly because of this.  Now isn't the time for some sort of therapy as I'm still withdrawing but I pray that all this can heal eventually.  In the meantime, I need some immediate help. 

Is there some sort of ear devices (hearing aid soft of things) that I can get for this and the tinnitus?  If ear buds are the only option, is there some sort of particular sound track that can drown things out? 

I have many other symptoms that are tough but this makes living at home difficult right now.

Idk, I think its part n parcel with WD...??

You should see me when the kids empty the dishwasher..!! They have learnt to check I dont have something to throw..

What I think has helped me overall with all this, is that I have lots of fish tanks, so there is the constant white noise of trickling water and bubbles..

I find there is two parts to it.. The sudden unexpected noise, loud or oh so quiet, which is more of a stabbing shock..

And, the persistent “irritating” noises that rub us raw and quickly build a tension that wants to explode...

Even the dogs licking each other in the next room can drive me nuts.. 

But it did get much better at the good points of my tapering, and worse when I pushed things too hard...

Day 2 of no kids.. And I aint missing them yet..!!

I dont know how you do it..!!

I need some help.......my hyperacusis is getting worse and worse - spoons on dishes irritate me, as do my children (and I have 7 of them) - even phone conversations at times.  Always had sensitive ears to a degree so of course, I'm getting hit here and it's very painful at times.  I am having acute symptoms while trying to wean down, still at a relatively high dose.  Difficult circumstances to say the least.  Anyhow, I was wearing some earplugs to help but then I recently developed tinnitus, which thankfully, isn't severe at this time and I pray it doesn't become - I feel for those that have it severe as I didn't even know it could get that bad.  I can't wear headphones all day because they squeeze my head - even light music in the car irritates me now and I don't even want to go out, partly because of this.  Now isn't the time for some sort of therapy as I'm still withdrawing but I pray that all this can heal eventually.  In the meantime, I need some immediate help. 

Is there some sort of ear devices (hearing aid soft of things) that I can get for this and the tinnitus?  If ear buds are the only option, is there some sort of particular sound track that can drown things out? 

I have many other symptoms that are tough but this makes living at home difficult right now.

I used ear buds and the sound of crickets as a masker when I was going through this.

You can down load an app on your phone and see what sound is best for you, I ended up just using one ear bud so I could listen to the television or hold a conversation and it worked well.

I still have a little bit of hyperacusis but it is now 99% gone, it went pretty early on in my recovery.

Tinnitus is still around but I have now got used to it so it really only bothers me on a few occasions and then only fleetingly.

I am afraid I am going to offer the same advice as most would and that is to try to distract yourself and give it time, I understand how contrite that sounds but it really will get better as I have been where you are now.

2trusting

Thanks to you both.  Cant - I don't know how to not push it at this point.....I'm so sucked into tolerance and was getting sicker the longer I held.  I feel like I'm trying to outrun a speeding train.....this was from my rapid taper and long hold (should not have held - should have continued) and being in full blown acute.  I don't know if I should slow it down or not or just try as fast as I can to get off this poison, although at the rate I'm going, it still will take a year or more of absolute torture if I can make it at all.  Full on tremors, etc.  I don't know how I'm going to survive with this, including with this hyperacusis so bad, as well as other things.  This morning, as I laid in bed after a rough night of sleep, I heard a spoon against a bowl (with earplugs in) from the kitchen and I actually startled. 

Thanks to you both.  Cant - I don't know how to not push it at this point.....I'm so sucked into tolerance and was getting sicker the longer I held.  I feel like I'm trying to outrun a speeding train.....this was from my rapid taper and long hold (should not have held - should have continued) and being in full blown acute.  I don't know if I should slow it down or not or just try as fast as I can to get off this poison, although at the rate I'm going, it still will take a year or more of absolute torture if I can make it at all.  Full on tremors, etc.  I don't know how I'm going to survive with this, including with this hyperacusis so bad, as well as other things.  This morning, as I laid in bed after a rough night of sleep, I heard a spoon against a bowl (with earplugs in) from the kitchen and I actually startled.

IDK, These might be what I call deep SX, -the ones that dont respond so well to taper speed..??

Or..

Tolerance is what happens when a steady therapeutic dose stops working, I dont know if its going to get much better than that by reducing further, or tapering in our cases.. So its more the effects of reductions or changes that one has to play with with holds and speed...  There are those that suffer horribly from tolerance symptoms and it is only getting off that seems to help.. I know this is the case for my opiate situation.. Then it becomes more about damage mitigation after the taper..

The other thing is the length of time one holds if there is a serious need, It takes a long time to heal after we jump, so I would expect similar from a hold, -or longer if one subscribes to the theory that we dont heal till after the jump (which obviously I dont)..

Bird might have some better thoughts than me..??

Im still a bit frazzled from yesterdays ordeal..

Sorry for your suffering Cant.  I'm assuming part of the suffering you are enduring from your opiate withdrawal is also b/c of your benzo w/d. 

The severe symptoms I have (all senses on fire - smell, sound, touch - burning/stinging skin, hypersensitive smell/hearing, tremoring, brain damage) are the ones that no one typically has until they are off, in full blown acute.  I don't have the horrible head pressure or drones in ears or some of the other things....yet....but it's gotten bad, getting bad.  I was only getting worse the longer I held and it was my mistake after coming down so fast but then holding the dose, not understanding how all this worked - I should have continued on the rapid taper.  .5 mg of K was never a therapeutic dose for me.  How fast I can get off and tolerate, that is the question, as so many here that are sensitive see .5 mg of K as such a high dose.  It never was for me......until now.  Now, it feels like I would have to climb Mt. Everest barefoot to make it through this.  There's only so much suffering one person can endure - this is not natural, God created suffering.  I hope you feel better!

• 1 month later...

been wondering why my tinnitus gets louder when i'm stressed for any reason...happy sad or mad, all make it louder and on the left side. other sxs mostly on the left side also. and my prior MRI's showed a marble sized lesion (scar tissue) in my left cerebellum. coincidence?

the radiologist said he thought my lesion(s) could all be from medications i was taking

I've had mild tinnitus from 2 head injuries where I have ear pain.  On my drop down from 0.75mg to 0.625mg ativan, I got very bad tinnitus in both ears.  Usually it's just my left.  I was hoping I could taper quickly since I was only on ativan for 2 months.  It's pretty depressing to think if this symptoms is permanent to go along my head injury symptoms which have brought me to the edge many times.  Anyone have experience with getting tinnitus on the taper, but went away after?  Would a slower taper be advised?