Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Benzo Lies That Have Been Busted

[Ri...]

I'm never going to be able to ride my horse again. I'll never have the energy to brush him much less tack him up and get on...BUSTED!!! Rode him today and it was great!!!  And it was 28 degrees here in NY.

"Anxiety will dominate your life without benzos, I cant live without them"

Not only is it a benzo lie, its complete and utter BS. Although I still have my spurts of symptoms, my main fear when I ended the poison was that I would never be able to manage without the pills.. I am proving that wrong, as we ALL are..God Bless you all.

"Anxiety will dominate your life without benzos, I cant live without them"

Not only is it a benzo lie, its complete and utter BS. Although I still have my spurts of symptoms, my main fear when I ended the poison was that I would never be able to manage without the pills.. I am proving that wrong, as we ALL are..God Bless you all.

I would like to speak to this "lie". At 34 months out from last dose of klonopin, I still believe that I cannot live very well without something to calm my anxiety.

Am I an anomaly or is this truly a lie? I still have a serious problem with all sorts of anxiety issues.

Katia, what was your anxiety like prebenzos? I know it's a difficult symptom.

The lie that keeps going through my head is something my last pdoc kept saying, "Have you considered that maybe you just need to stay on klonopin for the rest of your life?"

Katia, what was your anxiety like prebenzos? I know it's a difficult symptom.

The lie that keeps going through my head is something my last pdoc kept saying, "Have you considered that maybe you just need to stay on klonopin for the rest of your life?"

It was no where near as intense and it was much more manageable. For a doctor to say the above is absolutely reckless!

I agree, Katia. He thoughts he was helping but it was super confusing at the time.

I'm sorry to hear about how difficult your anxiety is. Do you have any other symptoms of wd still? One of the guidelines I've been living by is to try not to freak out about any remaining symptom (like torturing myself about whether I'll have a symptom forever or not) until the symptoms I have that are obviously wd (like paresthesias) are also gone. Obviously the freaking out part is easier some times than others.

Jumping in with my opinion.

It is completely reckless for a doc to suggest staying on K for the rest of your life.  At some point you'll hit tolerance,  I don't care who you are.  But for the sake of argument there's a chance you wont. 

Based on what you can read here - who would EVER want to take a chance that they might not hit tolerance, but if you do, you'll suffer consequences you could not imagine in your worst nightmares??

There are many ways to cope with anxiety without drugs.  But it takes work.  Pills are an easy quick fix and only meant to be a temporary solution while you develop natural ways of coping.  This is the path we all must follow to deal with every problem in life.  Benzos are not the solution, only delay handling the problems we face, and cause more horrific problems down the road.

Thousands and thousands of people have handled massive anxiety problems drug-free and became happy productive members of society.  I have no doubt all the folks here can get there.  The road may be rocky but the other side is there.

God bless you all on your road to recovery.

Dave

I'm with you Dave. My big lie is that I'll never stay interested in anything for very long.

As an aside, I wrote this about our situation with meds:

On howling platforms it was served, we were yelling for relief, expecting remedies, looking to officials, authorities on the matter. What singed our flesh when we could not see it coming, what seared nerve endings so cruelly that we did not know where the pain began; where our lives ended: wanting our lives to end. Relentless, relentless. We saw no alternatives, no sunny days, could not differentiate between here and there, believed bad tidings could hold us forever. Every tingle a rough grating on metal, all nights mared out. Scooped up, hollow, devoid of pleasure. Rough shod we road to uncertain destinies. Too loud, too loud, it all became too loud and too much. Coiled sensitivities.

In the bottom of our caverns, the dastardly nugget--this pharmacological disaster, almost took all until we saw it was the beast and not ourselves. Badly rattled we road another kind of hallucination, stepping outside the illusion of safety.

Walking the pale face of our existence into a regular field, back to ourselves, away from the stiffening bodily incarnation, after the chains of unknowing were removed; bent backs and infundibular hearts, off to the clearing, hoping to breathe the air of our quintessence, we stand corrected and assured of a bloom on the plateau of vast deserts, alive with broad vistas.

That's great DT.  I wish I could write like that.  I can't find the words to describe it but it's good!  :)

I honestly believe everyone will feel better getting off this garbage.  Benzo's don't 'heal' anything in your brain, only change or effect normal functioning.  I don't know how something like that is OK to prescribe to people more than a few days.

People need to heal or create new pathways in their brains to make positive change.  Benzos do not do this.

You've got quite a history. I hope you can be drug free soon and get on that train to freedom!

Godspeed.

Dave

Another benzo lie that I am busting on a daily basis. Life as I knew it is over. I get up, shower and dress and get out of the house and live my life. May not be so easy some days but I still make myself do it. Just got home from a mani/pedi and an hour long massage.

Another benzo lie that I am busting on a daily basis. Life as I knew it is over. I get up, shower and dress and get out of the house and live my life. May not be so easy some days but I still make myself do it. Just got home from a mani/pedi and an hour long massage.

Its awesome isnt it? Just doing stuff that would would have previously set us in a tailspin are now just normal ocurrences. Driving, listening to music, going out to dinner. You are right some days are better than other but man are those good days so beautiful. Hang in there!!

God Bless!

Leo

Thanks Leo!  I refuse to spend the rest of my taper doing nothing but obsessing about my symptoms blah blah blah. Lol. Still have a ways to go to be free of this poison pills but I will no longer let withdrawals rule my world. Sorry clonazepam but I'm breaking up with you

Thanks Leo!  I refuse to spend the rest of my taper doing nothing but obsessing about my symptoms blah blah blah. Lol. Still have a ways to go to be free of this poison pills but I will no longer let withdrawals rule my world. Sorry clonazepam but I'm breaking up with you

Good for you Jayne! This will all seem like a bad dream sooner rather than later!

Thanks Leo. Have been up since three am. Still made myself go to my hair appointment and lunch with my sisterinlaw. Then went and picked my daughter up at the horseshow she was in. Just got home, getting in my pjs n parking my butt on the couch till bedtime(whatever that is. Lol). Hope all is well with you

Thanks Leo. Have been up since three am. Still made myself go to my hair appointment and lunch with my sisterinlaw. Then went and picked my daughter up at the horseshow she was in. Just got home, getting in my pjs n parking my butt on the couch till bedtime(whatever that is. Lol). Hope all is well with you

Up amd down for me Jayne. There are times where I feel great and then waves knoco me down again. We get up and continue the march of life. :) God Bless!

• 1 month later...

These are lies that still bother me.

1. I will always look 20 years older

2. I will be financially ruined.

3. Nobody will ever understand (except of course for BB)

4. I will be forever labeled a drug addict, even though my pdoc wrote in my file that I am not.

5. I will never get another job.

6. I will get dementia from long term use.

7. I will feel guilty for the rest of my life because it was my own fault for taking this drug. That I should have ignored my original provider.

I need to bust these lies!!!! But I can't seem to.

Bets

I will hopefully bust one of those lies for you  :thumbsup:

The definition for a drug addict is a person who is addicted to an illegal drug

The drugs we are taking were prescribed by a doctor!  I don't consider myself a drug addict and I don't feel you should either  :smitten:

I will hopefully bust one of those lies for you  :thumbsup:

The definition for a drug addict is a person who is addicted to an illegal drug

The drugs we are taking were prescribed by a doctor!  I don't consider myself a drug addict and I don't feel you should either  :smitten:

Thank you. :smitten:

One time I mentioned to my Dr that I don't like being a drug addict. He said something that really helped me - he said " You are not an addict - you are dependent."

After thinking about that for awhile, I think of it like this - I'm dependent until I try to get off. If I am past the point of being physically dependent, and I am psychologically addicted - I'm an addict, and I will address that.

But I will give myself a break and not label myself an addict until I am past the physical dependence stage. We have been through enough suffering - no need to add to it by the label of addict until I know that I am one.

The bottom line is that your life will be so much better after you are free from the benzos and their lies - ask me how I know. . .

River  :smitten:

One time I mentioned to my Dr that I don't like being a drug addict. He said something that really helped me - he said " You are not an addict - you are dependent."

After thinking about that for awhile, I think of it like this - I'm dependent until I try to get off. If I am past the point of being physically dependent, and I am psychologically addicted - I'm an addict, and I will address that.

But I will give myself a break and not label myself an addict until I am past the physical dependence stage. We have been through enough suffering - no need to add to it by the label of addict until I know that I am one.

The bottom line is that your life will be so much better after you are free from the benzos and their lies - ask me how I know. . .

River  :smitten:

Thank you for such an informative and thoughtful post. Now I will bust that lie. :smitten:

Reminds me of my detox experience at the Hospital.....Dr. Einstein told me

I was an addict .....I replied ...really ? How nice. :laugh:....please call the Police quickly......

my Dealer needs to be arrested at once ....he wears a white coat like you

and has a GP office. ....doo be doo be doo...you shoud have seen his face

drop........priceless. ;)

P.S. Later on, one of the nurses said to me....when you think about it.....

you are right.

Reminds me of my detox experience at the Hospital.....Dr. Einstein told me

I was an addict .....I replied ...really ? How nice. :laugh:....please call the Police quickly......

my Dealer needs to be arrested at once ....he wears a white coat like you

and has a GP office. ....doo be doo be doo...you shoud have seen his face

drop........priceless. ;)

P.S. Later on, one of the nurses said to me....when you think about it.....

you are right.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Right on Claudia  :thumbsup::hug:

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: