Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Benzo Lies That Have Been Busted

[Ri...]

At almost 2 and 1/2 years out, I have a question for Riverwolf and anyone else who would like to address it.

One of the benzo lies listed above by Metronome 360 was:

"My brain has been altered and the changes by the benzodiazepines cannot be reversed"

Does anyone here believe that this IS a benzo lie? Or has it been busted? That is one statement that I truly believe to be true, with all the changes that klonopin caused my brain to experience and it has been going on now for about 15 years. Before withdrawal I noticed the changes in my ability to function and did not realize that it was the benzos. It has not yet improved with withdrawal and I have serious doubts that it will.

KK - give it some more time - and you will get better. . .

. . . sometimes 2 1/2 years is not long enough unfortunately. I know you are tired and worn out, but you have to put more time in.

River  :smitten:

At almost 2 and 1/2 years out, I have a question for Riverwolf and anyone else who would like to address it.

"My brain has been altered and the changes by the benzodiazepines cannot be reversed"

Hi Katia,

I believe the first part to be true .....the second part depends on people's age,

their mental health issues before taking this crap etc....

f.i. a over 80 year old person....long time user....would be better off  staying on Benzos......in my opinion.

The human brain is an amazing ''organ'', millions of nerve cells may have been

affected  during the recovery process....they need time to come back to

their origin.....sometimes a long time.....

Therefore I consider it neither to be a lie nor to be the truth....

complicated hey ? :)

Stay strong and keep going Katia.....I believe you will get your health

back...I do. :)

P.S. we had a member here by the name of Polenta....she suffered for

15 years like you stated......was in touch with Prof. Ashton etc.....

she got her Life back, is healthy and happy again....but it took time.

River and Morreweg,

Thanks for the encouragement. However, I was not meaning to sound impatient, I resigned myself a long time ago to the fact that this recovery is going to take possibly 5 years. I think at 3 years I might see improvement. To fully heal, five years. Just my assessment of my own situation, given my history.

When I have asked these type questions before, I never got a straight answer. Morreweg, yours was closer to a real answer. I just would like to know if anyone that has experienced obvious changes in their brain chemistry due to benzos, after withdrawing from them had experienced a reversal of sorts. That they had a return of functioning, where they were prior to taking any benzos at all. Or at least close to that. I know that many say that they have returned to a better level of functioning.

Thanks! I am healing slowly, at least not going backwards!  ;)

Hi Katia - I am now over 4 years out of c/t w/d. I lost a great deal of my brain function in w/d and recovery. I am now so much closer to completely restored in my functional abilities, plus I am so much happier (in general) than I ever was before all this crap. I have a much deeper understanding of myself and the world around me.

So yes, there is much hope! I am very interested to see what this next year will bring in terms of my continued healing process. I have every hope that things will continue to improve for me.. and for you too!

M.  ;D

River and Morreweg,

Thanks for the encouragement. However, I was not meaning to sound impatient, I resigned myself a long time ago to the fact that this recovery is going to take possibly 5 years. I think at 3 years I might see improvement. To fully heal, five years. Just my assessment of my own situation, given my history.

When I have asked these type questions before, I never got a straight answer. Morreweg, yours was closer to a real answer. I just would like to know if anyone that has experienced obvious changes in their brain chemistry due to benzos, after withdrawing from them had experienced a reversal of sorts. That they had a return of functioning, where they were prior to taking any benzos at all. Or at least close to that. I know that many say that they have returned to a better level of functioning.

I don't think there is a straight answer due to so many variables in peoples medical history and in their body chemistry.

Thanks to neuroplasticity your life after recovery looks good

. The number of people who do not recover substantially is statistically irrelevant - but most people think that they are going to be that person.

River

Hi Katia - I am now over 4 years out of c/t w/d. I lost a great deal of my brain function in w/d and recovery. I am now so much closer to completely restored in my functional abilities, plus I am so much happier (in general) than I ever was before all this crap. I have a much deeper understanding of myself and the world around me.

So yes, there is much hope! I am very interested to see what this next year will bring in terms of my continued healing process. I have every hope that things will continue to improve for me.. and for you too!

M.  ;D

So glad to hear that mplsgrl, that is awesome. Thanks for your input!  ;)

• 5 weeks later...
Thank you so much for this thread, River Wolf. It gives me a lot of comfort to read through and some of the words even stay in my head when I'm not at a computer. :) I need so much reassurance to keep getting through the days and believing that my faith and my healthy self will return.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Katia,

I believe the first part to be true .....the second part depends on people's age,

f.i. a over 80 year old person....long time user....would be better off  staying on Benzos......in my opinion.

i always mention Jill Bolte Taylor who lost all use of the left hemisphere of her brain after having a stroke - she completely and fully healed but it took her 8 years.

Hi Katia,

i always mention Jill Bolte Taylor who lost all use of the left hemisphere of her brain after having a stroke - she completely and fully healed but it took her 8 years.

Good one Pretty..... :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I love to read this thread. I still am shocked however when i get sudden intrusive thoughts about my food being poisoned or me fearing the oddest things like earphones or garbagr bags... it makes me feel sometimes like those pills did some type of damage to my brain. I was nit like this before WD....ugh. 4 long months and am terrified this will last years..i know its benzo brain spewing garbage, I know its a time aesnsitive battle but wow...its scary sometimes...

Is this a benzo lie: Every morning without fail since 32 months ago when I had to cold turkey benzos, I have woken up feeling like I have an awful hangover. The shaking, loud ear ringing and generally achy all over. Feels like a hangover but worse. It does not last all day like a hangover could but at least a couple of hours and during that time I just really hate my life and myself for ever taking a benzo. I wish I could improve my attitude but during the mornings it is near impossible. I guess the benzo lie is that this is forever going to occur every morning. I have heard repeatedly that it is not true, but at almost 3 years off, it certainly seems true.

:sick::-\

Wait -- 15 YEARS?!

River and Morreweg,

I do believe, that with the horror we go through, all the intense emotion, that emotions get "trapped", and unfortunately most people don't know how to get rid of these.  For me energy psychology helped me feel a lot better....I got rid of a whole bunch of trapped emotions that I was unable to touch before.  I tried journaling, yelling, etc., but nothing made me feel better. 

M.  ;D

How did you get happier? Just the soul-searching you do while in w/d?

M.  ;D

Hi spring50  :thumbsup: It comes automatically with healing from everything I've read, and also during a good 'window' even a tiny one ;D. I am talking from experiencing, I hadn't had one and then it happened  it just over a week ago. I had one for a few minutes and everything was absolute PERFECTION!! ;D I was in a state of pure bliss an joy an my reality was way more awesome  than BEFORE Benzos, even the air smelled ALIVE!!  ;D

I felt like I had been taken to see the future and there it was this wonderful state of being whole and at one with everything. I now am convinced it was a message to show me that no matter how hard or bad things have been, or will be that's what will be the end result of all this suffering because later that day I went in to a wave and more sxs began, and its still ongoing now. ::)

And I try to remember ''The promise'', and its not just for me, there were many others there as well, that's what it was like an unspoken promise that everything will be way better than alright in time even when I or nobody else  don't think it or believe will as everything's getting worse.  :sick:

Our bodies don't need us to believe nothing to give them permission to heal, they know they can, are, and will. It works like an unseen symphony everything working in harmony to bring us back to homeostasis and a wonderful life in time, whats happening to us really isn't forever its just for now while the healing proceeds :thumbsup:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Wait -- 15 YEARS?!

Don't worry, a very sad exceptional case. There was no BB at the time etc.

Here is her profile.... just look at her signature...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=31705

M.  ;D

Hi spring50  :thumbsup: It comes automatically with healing from everything I've read, and also during a good 'window' even a tiny one ;D. I am talking from experiencing, I hadn't had one and then it happened  it just over a week ago. I had one for a few minutes and everything was absolute PERFECTION!! ;D I was in a state of pure bliss an joy an my reality was way more awesome  than BEFORE Benzos, even the air smelled ALIVE!!  ;D

I felt like I had been taken to see the future and there it was this wonderful state of being whole and at one with everything. I now am convinced it was a message to show me that no matter how hard or bad things have been, or will be that's what will be the end result of all this suffering because later that day I went in to a wave and more sxs began, and its still ongoing now. ::)

And I try to remember ''The promise'', and its not just for me, there were many others there as well, that's what it was like an unspoken promise that everything will be way better than alright in time even when I or nobody else  don't think it or believe will as everything's getting worse.  :sick:

Our bodies don't need us to believe nothing to give them permission to heal, they know they can, are, and will. It works like an unseen symphony everything working in harmony to bring us back to homeostasis and a wonderful life in time, whats happening to us really isn't forever its just for now while the healing proceeds :thumbsup:

:)  :thumbsup:

I love to read this thread. I still am shocked however when i get sudden intrusive thoughts about my food being poisoned or me fearing the oddest things like earphones or garbagr bags... it makes me feel sometimes like those pills did some type of damage to my brain. I was nit like this before WD....ugh. 4 long months and am terrified this will last years..i know its benzo brain spewing garbage, I know its a time aesnsitive battle but wow...its scary sometimes...

Yes Leo  :thumbsup: its a brilliant thread isn't it? I always recommend this thread where applicable, and also refer to it when I need to as well, it helps a lot when your not sure what real, imagined, or WD. And its great its here as a sufferance that it is withdrawal based and really,really common thoughts and symptoms we're all having  :)

[cd...]

Yes Leo  :thumbsup: its a brilliant thread isn't it? I always recommend this thread where applicable, and also refer to it when I need to as well, it helps a lot when your not sure what real, imagined, or WD. And its great its here as a sufferance that it is withdrawal based and really,really common thoughts and symptoms we're all having  :)

I just love reading your posts Nova!  :smitten: :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Bump....if you can....Happy Halloween people!! :)

Back at cha' Claudia  :hug: I found this cool picture of you doing your job on a previous Halloween.. :thumbsup:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftodofondosdehalloween.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimages%2F8d%2Fhalloween.jpg&f=1  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Bump....if you can....Happy Halloween people!! :)

Back at cha' Claudia  :hug: I found this cool picture of you doing your job on a previous Halloween.. :thumbsup:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftodofondosdehalloween.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimages%2F8d%2Fhalloween.jpg&f=1  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Bwahahaha,  :laugh: :laugh:....you are a genius nova.....really cool..... love it ,

love ya girl. :-*:hug:

• 2 weeks later...