Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Benzo Lies That Have Been Busted

[Ri...]

Awesome stuff!  So encouraging and true.  I have believed all of these and it's so helpful to recognize them for what they are - lies. 

Thank you for these hope-inspiring words.

I hope my fears are all benzo lies

1. I will be homeless

2. i won't be able to support myself

3. i will die alone

4. i am broken

5. The nausea will never lift

6. My brain is permenantly shot to pieces

7. Will have to live in hiding

and oh many many many many many many many many many more

1. I will be homeless

3. i will die alone

4. i am broken

Hi , sounds like text book to me ....when I look at yout ticker the timing

is dead on as well. Benzo lies can make a mouse look like an elephant....

way to go Saraa....hope this stupid sx will soon be gone ...... :smitten:

Thanks Claudia

I am also watching your ticker and hope that in a couple of days we can all chime in for your permenant window anniversary :thumbsup::smitten:

Thank you Saraa. :):smitten:

1. I will be homeless

3. i will die alone

4. i am broken

Saraa! Claudia! :hug:

I share benzo-lie number 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7... why not 5? Because for me it's "this fatigue will never go"  >:(

Let's bust the whole lot!!!!

Hugs,

Julz xxx

1. I will be homeless

3. i will die alone

4. i am broken

Saraa! Claudia! :hug:

I share benzo-lie number 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7... why not 5? Because for me it's "this fatigue will never go"  >:(

Let's bust the whole lot!!!!

Hugs,

Julz xxx

Right Julia, :hug: lets bust the lot.... :thumbsup::)

I love gambling now and then, but I wouldn't put a bet on your fatigue

never to be gone. I have seen a lot here ...and from my own experience .....

anything is possible once the nerve regeneration has been completed.

Claudia,

I compeltely agree with you Claudia, as i have seen it over and over again with my own relatives who are yes in their late 80's who were on high dosages of valium about 50mgs and stopped cold turkey went through hell but as we speak will run circles around us. 

They are tireless and speaking of gambling, THEY LOVE TO GAMBLE ! :laugh:

Claudia thanks for reminding me of them as proof to how right you are. :smitten:

Luv

Saraa

Claudia,

I compeltely agree with you Claudia, as i have seen it over and over again with my own relatives who are yes in their late 80's who were on high dosages of valium about 50mgs and stopped cold turkey went through hell but as we speak will run circles around us. 

Claudia thanks for reminding me of them as proof to how right you are. :smitten:

Luv

Saraa

Lovely Saraa,..... to hear about the success of your relatives......

made me smile. :smitten:

Claudia,

Luv

Saraa

Lovely Saraa,..... to hear about the success of your relatives......

made me smile. :smitten:

Sarraa, thanks great to hear some positive results once off this crazy GABA glue  :thumbsup: ~CD

anything is possible once the nerve regeneration has been completed.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::smitten:

CD, "the GABA glue", that made me smile too  :thumbsup:

This thread feels so good to read  :smitten:

Keep busting those myths Buddies!!!

This thread is great. I have been getting better at ignoring the lies that go through my head, and I hope they continue to have less and less power over me. Thanks so much all of you for keeping this going!

Bump and a big lie for me: perhaps this is already on the list but posting anyway. :)

OTHERS may have healed but I am different and won't.  BUSTED!

When I have a symptom, my mind says, "It's something more serious. It's not withdrawal".

Or

You will never heal.

I hate Benzo Lies!

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest benzo lie- that it won't get better.

It will. Just because it doesn't happen right now, doesn't mean it won't. 

Some take longer to heal than others. 

We've all been marked by the drugs and their effects. Every day you survive, is one day less you'll be in it. 

Keep going.

The below are the 'benzo lie' that started this thread and the ones I've been telling myself over and over again, as I get ready to start my taper soon. I've virtually allowed myself to believe these for so long. I get taking an AD over 6 months ago and am experiencing depression again. I've been so confused on whether I will always have depression or if it's only happening again, because I came off the AD. I'll be seeing my pdoc on Monday and asking whether or not I should reinstate an AD until my taper is through. I know, a little too late that Ashton says if you're taking both, you should come off the benzos first. LOST!!!!

Benzo Lie # 1. There is no hope.  This one is nasty. Do not believe this lie. It can take you down fast. It is not true, even though it feels very true. For me, this hopelessness was a result of benzo created chemical imbalances coloring my thinking into a perceived end of time. I could not imagine time extending for more than 3 months into the future. There was no way I could think of any possible outcome at all – not even a negative one, and all of my imagined outcomes of less than 3 months were negative. If you cannot imagine a positive future for yourself, know you are under the trance of lie # 1.

Benzo Lie # 2. My Life is ruined.  Do not believe this lie. You are in a temporary state of withdrawal. It is an awful state, but it is temporary and you will move out of it and have a life that you can mold into what you had before or one that is better than before. When you can think clearly, you are able to fashion a life that is better than what happened to you when you were tranquilized and your life fell apart as a result of being drugged. When you are out of withdrawals and free from the effects of their symptoms, you will be in a better position to solve problems instead of having them take you down.

Benzo Lie # 3. These benzo effects will last forever.  I see this lie as being conditional.  The lie part is that if you are making decisions that will move yourself toward health and away from benzos, it will not last forever. There WILL be an end to the benzo-related troubles. As you get further away from benzos and their effects, the less the benzos will act on you.  If you make benzo related decisions that move yourself away from natural health and into benzo use, you may end up in a never ending loop of having side effects being confused as diseases, and having benzo symptoms being medicated with more benzos, and in turn, more and more drug and symptom interactions and more and more suffering.

Benzo Lie # 4. I will never be happy again  This lie broke my heart. I let this lie rob me of my dreams. I am living proof that you can totally believe this lie and live to prove it wrong. I never thought I could ever be happy ever again. I’m not only happy now, but happier than I was before I started on benzos. I feel like I have just vanquished a dragon, and there is a great deal of satisfaction in that. Now, I am happy. I am happy just because I exist and because life is available to me. There is such joy in coming back from the edge and being able to function again.

This is a super thread. This website has made all the difference since it helped me believe I could detox and get off meds. I'm coming around the bend, have my moments, but am generally good and when I'm not I come here to work it off.

Things I tell myself or other benzo lies:

I will never have anything

I will never learn to love

Success will always allude me because I've wasted too much time with meds

My brain is fried permanently

I'll never be able to support myself

I'm a loser

It's hopeless, why bother?

I'll never sleep through the night with any regularity

The numbness has left me, the deep depression is gone, I'm sleeping better & in a hard to succeed field I'm doing okay for an older person. Youth culture is not stopping me. I'm just getting started!

Happy New Year from one who has been in despair for decades and now sees the light in front of me and behind me.

That I need to isolate from my close friends because in always afraid I won't feel well enough and I'm don't want to be a doggy downer blah blah blah. My friend called this morning and simply said I am not taking no for an answer anymore I am on my way over so be ready and she hung up before I could say anything. Jumped in the shower, got dresses when I heard her come in. Left the house at 9am and didn't get home till 4:30. Belly laughed all day.  Another benzo lie busted. Im going to start saying yes to things. Sorry benzos but I'm breaking up with you

I sure resonate with what others are saying. Frequent benzo lies for me recently:

Everyone else is moving on with their lives but you and you'll always be stuck (growth in career, activity, leisure when I'm just trying to hang on). All the good times are behind you.

This is as good as it gets.