Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Benzo Lies That Have Been Busted

[Ri...]

This is an excellent thread  :clap: the Benzo lies I've been hearing for year's and can't make them go away yet, but on times there's a tiny chink when I can see the light but It closes again. That portal to freedom is always there, its just I can't see it or feel it  the way that I want to. :-\

Sometimes I feel total disbelief about the deception created by Benzos and its lies, but behind everything is the belief I will recover, not never but when I recover. Yes I have terrible day's when it all feels endless and pointlessly never ending. But the day's I get when I hear, know and  believe the truth and thats we ALL can and will heal is what makes me who I really am, not this chemical imposter.  :tickedoff:

Nova xxxx  :smitten: :smitten:

This is my benzo lie that I have busted:

Once you finish your taper, you will be so bad off that you will be put in a psych ward for more than a year and no way to get out of taking their psych pills. Great thread, tho I am very late in the game.

Bets

1. You'll never be able to hold a good job again

2. You'll remain fearful for the rest of your life

3. The best thing to do is to just end it before it gets worse

4. Everyone will abandon you

5. You'll run out of meds, and have a heart attack/cardiac arrest/seizure

6. You'll get arrested since you're an addict

7. Whatever you try (meditation, EFT), it will not help

8. Keep distracting yourself all you want. If you can't go to work in a few weeks, you're toast.

9. You'll never meet someone special now.

10. You'll end up homeless and have a seizure.

11. Your gums will get sick and your teeth will fall out

12. You'll get an abscess and die

13. You'll have a heart attack or cardiac arrest

14. You'll catch some dreaded disease in your weakened state and die.

15. Your best years are long behind you.

16. You are being punished for getting on benzos and not doing the research

17. You don't have the willpower to fight this.

18. You'll go blind

19. You'll get a GI bleed

20. You'll never be able to swim again.

everyone will abandon you

well, yes and no...

God for sure will remove the wrong people from your life

during you journey of hell....

p.s. its really TOUGH to deal with betrayal of your spouse

while you are in this hell...

as if /some cruel design/ wants to push you to the edge of your limits

and see what will happen...

thanks for sharing your /busted lies/ :smitten:

i love this River's  thread  :smitten:

i think its terrific  :thumbsup:

This is such a great thread - brilliant whoever came up with the idea . .  .

. . .all seriousness aside  ;D  - thanks to all the contributions. I know each month I come up with new reasons to be grateful I survived.

This month it is the night blooming Jasmine that smells so so sweet out of my window. . . OMG. . . what a sensual treat after the hell of wd.

Keep holding on if you are suffering. . . good things are in your future that you can not even imagine.

River  :smitten:

I swer I can go to ALL the Benzo lies and tick ALL the boxes for each one. I also believed '' The Doctors were right, you have got'' 1000 misdiagnoses later  ::) ALL the above 'Illnesses'' plus some they missed.  :sick: 

Was CT off 30 t0 40 2mg  Ativan daily and Temazepam 40mg nightly,  Tolerance withdrawal from Diazepam, probably Kindling too from being put on and taken off different benzos and doses being put up and down . ALL the above lies BUSTED!! It was ALL Benzo related  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

You are bed ridden forever and will need carers all your life, or the short life you have left due to the nature of your ''Diagnoses illnesses' you have Cancer thats why your in agony, permanently covered in bruises that wont go. Hematoma's like huge bloody abscesses all over the place.

Painful lumps that keep sprouting up all over your body, toes breaking easily although you got good bone density according to scans YADDA! YADDA! YADDA! ALL known to be 'Benzo withdrawal related from either Benzo toxisity, CT or withdrawal.....everyone, .BUSTED!

More moaning, winging, and exposing to come as the brain finally ''Gets it'' :-\  :)

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Oh my God. Lots of lies indeed.

But how do I block them out? It seems reading forums all day is more attractive than doing something else.

No motivation in watching TV or some other activities that used to enjoy. :(

I swer I can go to ALL the Benzo lies and tick ALL the boxes for each one. I also believed '' The Doctors were right, you have got'' 1000 misdiagnoses later  ::) ALL the above 'Illnesses'' plus some they missed.  :sick: 

Was CT off 30 t0 40 2mg  Ativan daily and Temazepam 40mg nightly,  Tolerance withdrawal from Diazepam, probably Kindling too from being put on and taken off different benzos and doses being put up and down . ALL the above lies BUSTED!! It was ALL Benzo related  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

You are bed ridden forever and will need carers all your life, or the short life you have left due to the nature of your ''Diagnoses illnesses' you have Cancer thats why your in agony, permanently covered in bruises that wont go. Hematoma's like huge bloody abscesses all over the place.

Painful lumps that keep sprouting up all over your body, toes breaking easily although you got good bone density according to scans YADDA! YADDA! YADDA! ALL known to be 'Benzo withdrawal related from either Benzo toxisity, CT or withdrawal.....everyone, .BUSTED!

More moaning, winging, and exposing to come as the brain finally ''Gets it'' :-\  :)

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

nova, is that ever the truth i wonder what i can think i have today crazy crazy crazy ~CD

Oh my God. Lots of lies indeed.

But how do I block them out? It seems reading forums all day is more attractive than doing something else.

No motivation in watching TV or some other activities that used to enjoy. :(

No motivation to do anything is completely normal...

All you have to do is live long enough for your symptoms to go away, and when they do you will have your life back and be happier than ever

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know I've had more lies busted than this, but it's the only one I can think of right now:

"People you love will leave you because they cannot handle/understand/deal with what you're going through."

The truth I've found is that the ones who matter will stay and it will prove the strength of your relationship with  them--you will both rise above it and become closer friends/spouses/family/whatever. I've also found that you will restructure your life so that you de-emphasize the importance of the ones who don't know how to (or don't wish to) understand you and what you're going through.

Also, would really love to hear more from people whose biggest lie was "You must be seriously sick. It's not really withdrawal. The doctors just haven't figured out what's really deeply wrong with you, some kind of chronic illness." Even when my brain says, "But I didn't start feeling so physically lousy until the benzos" the lies keep trying to cloud the truth. The other lie I would really love to have busted for me personally is "This pain will never go away." Keep hoping. I've had a few days, a few moments of it. But I'm holding on for more!

Thanks. Great thread.  :thumbsup:

HT

Gosh, I know exactly what you mean about lies you want to have busted, HT! I keep telling myself I was so much happier and more healthy before benzos, but it's still hard to beat those terrible feelings of doom. The feelings are false, but they're so persistent. I had issues before benzos, but I was able to cope with them, and I also had so much joy. I haven't felt real joy for a long time but I have faith that it will come back.

I'm still able to laugh and "fake it" with friends, and I just had a wonderful weekend where I think that "acting as if" things were OK did actually help me feel better. It's so much easier for me to see these as the lies they really are.

Thanks RiverWolf for your incredibly valuable encouragement. When I felt disconnected and distressed this weekend I kept reminding myself of you and other BBs who made it through long dark periods and came back to themselves.  :smitten:

Dear Blessed RiverWolf and everyone here,

I think it is important for us to remember who we were before we started taking medication, we might of had some issues we needed help with, but sadly without knowing what would happen and the resulting consequences that would follow we chose this as our intervention. With that said for everyone who is here or seeking guidance and support elsewhere we have to know that we are strong of body, mind, and spirit because we have sought out the help and support of other people during our terrible battle through the labyrinth of withdrawal.

We might enlist the powers of our faith and or our spirituality in whatever holds to us like the strength of the mountain to the stone or the tides of the sea, be it god or the creator of whichever name you choose... we might find strength in our friends and family for those fortunate and blessed to have them in their lives, and for those who do not we may choose to wage our battle by sharing our stories and helping as many people as you can that are finding the battle more difficult.

I have come to find, personally for me, that this is one of the great lessons in life, a challenge of strength and character in which it punches you in the gut, slams your head around, and pushes you to the ledge... Does it intend to kill you, of course not. It intends to shape and mold you into a stronger, more patient, and more compassionate person. When you find yourself battling your own body, your mind, and your spirit everyday and then add the battle of the world around you... you tend to find out that no matter how much pain your in and no matter how much you suffer and endure; it teaches you, it prepares you to live life not for the sake of enduring it but for the sake of enjoying every possible moment that it affords you, even if these moments are only squished between moments of pain.

I know I am still dealing with the symptoms of withdrawal, and despite doctors telling me that I couldn't possibly be withdrawing from the medication after only several weeks of use, I know otherwise. It is this and the love, support, and encouragement I find here and from the several people I do have in my life that gives me hope and motivation to continue waging my battle within the labyrinth and to keep taking every moment for what it is be it good or be it bad. My fears of dying by a myriad of diseases and symptoms are abated by reminding myself that I as anyone could die at any moment in time from an indefinite number of causes, and it is because of this that I should treasure and cherish my life as it is, not for what it could be or could not be.

And my benzo lies are thus far, and I am not yet healed but I know in my heart these are lies prompted and facilitated by the benzodiazepines:

1. I am forever entrenched in the swamp of sadness and cannot escape.

2. My brain has been altered and the changes by the benzodiazepines cannot be reversed.

3. The burning and aching pain I feel in my legs and arms will never fade or go away; nor will the chilling and icy cold sensations that move about my legs and arms at random.

4. I am an invisible unseen person that no one cares or wants to care about.

5. That I am developing Schizophrenia/Parkinson's/Or Some Other Incurable Brain Disease

6. I have spent my life since middle childhood being disabled and looked down upon not worthy of living, being loved, or being capable of doing good things with my life or being capable of making a positive difference in the world.

7. That I am a monster and that the government or some force will come take me away and throw me away in a cell or dark pit alone and throw away the keys forever.

8. I am disabled and on a low income, so I must be according to the way the doctors believe and treat me, that I must be either a drug addict or a mentally ill and insane person.

9. Despite my strong spiritual identity and belief, my strength of mind and spirit, my courage, my unparalleled compassion and kindness that I am not worthy of living and that I should die.

10. My family has already abandoned me for being gay and for not being Christian, so the rest of the world should follow suit and abandon me as well.

Though in my heart and my spirit I know these things to be false and at the very least in my darkest moments hope and pray they are, I know that physically and mentally I still feel and fear these things and it is hard to bring my head up to continue the battle. But this deceiver of the body, mind, and spirit will not take me and it will not hold power over my life, so for now it may be grasping to hold on to me but it cannot grasp for much longer. So to everyone struggling find your strength and muster it up from the depths of the hollow or summon it from the force of the mountain and sky. You are never alone on this earth, no matter how dark it gets or how hard it gets, know that we too wage war with this and we are all fighting together. Remember to enjoy life as much as you can, to love as much as you can, and to laugh as much as you can.

"May the gods walk and be with you, and in all the empty places you must walk" ~

Jay

Dear Blessed RiverWolf and everyone here,

I think it is important for us to remember who we were before we started taking medication, we might of had some issues we needed help with, but sadly without knowing what would happen and the resulting consequences that would follow we chose this as our intervention. With that said for everyone who is here or seeking guidance and support elsewhere we have to know that we are strong of body, mind, and spirit because we have sought out the help and support of other people during our terrible battle through the labyrinth of withdrawal.

We might enlist the powers of our faith and or our spirituality in whatever holds to us like the strength of the mountain to the stone or the tides of the sea, be it god or the creator of whichever name you choose... we might find strength in our friends and family for those fortunate and blessed to have them in their lives, and for those who do not we may choose to wage our battle by sharing our stories and helping as many people as you can that are finding the battle more difficult.

I have come to find, personally for me, that this is one of the great lessons in life, a challenge of strength and character in which it punches you in the gut, slams your head around, and pushes you to the ledge... Does it intend to kill you, of course not. It intends to shape and mold you into a stronger, more patient, and more compassionate person. When you find yourself battling your own body, your mind, and your spirit everyday and then add the battle of the world around you... you tend to find out that no matter how much pain your in and no matter how much you suffer and endure; it teaches you, it prepares you to live life not for the sake of enduring it but for the sake of enjoying every possible moment that it affords you, even if these moments are only squished between moments of pain.

I know I am still dealing with the symptoms of withdrawal, and despite doctors telling me that I couldn't possibly be withdrawing from the medication after only several weeks of use, I know otherwise. It is this and the love, support, and encouragement I find here and from the several people I do have in my life that gives me hope and motivation to continue waging my battle within the labyrinth and to keep taking every moment for what it is be it good or be it bad. My fears of dying by a myriad of diseases and symptoms are abated by reminding myself that I as anyone could die at any moment in time from an indefinite number of causes, and it is because of this that I should treasure and cherish my life as it is, not for what it could be or could not be.

And my benzo lies are thus far, and I am not yet healed but I know in my heart these are lies prompted and facilitated by the benzodiazepines:

1. I am forever entrenched in the swamp of sadness and cannot escape.

2. My brain has been altered and the changes by the benzodiazepines cannot be reversed.

3. The burning and aching pain I feel in my legs and arms will never fade or go away; nor will the chilling and icy cold sensations that move about my legs and arms at random.

4. I am an invisible unseen person that no one cares or wants to care about.

5. That I am developing Schizophrenia/Parkinson's/Or Some Other Incurable Brain Disease

6. I have spent my life since middle childhood being disabled and looked down upon not worthy of living, being loved, or being capable of doing good things with my life or being capable of making a positive difference in the world.

7. That I am a monster and that the government or some force will come take me away and throw me away in a cell or dark pit alone and throw away the keys forever.

8. I am disabled and on a low income, so I must be according to the way the doctors believe and treat me, that I must be either a drug addict or a mentally ill and insane person.

9. Despite my strong spiritual identity and belief, my strength of mind and spirit, my courage, my unparalleled compassion and kindness that I am not worthy of living and that I should die.

10. My family has already abandoned me for being gay and for not being Christian, so the rest of the world should follow suit and abandon me as well.

Though in my heart and my spirit I know these things to be false and at the very least in my darkest moments hope and pray they are, I know that physically and mentally I still feel and fear these things and it is hard to bring my head up to continue the battle. But this deceiver of the body, mind, and spirit will not take me and it will not hold power over my life, so for now it may be grasping to hold on to me but it cannot grasp for much longer. So to everyone struggling find your strength and muster it up from the depths of the hollow or summon it from the force of the mountain and sky. You are never alone on this earth, no matter how dark it gets or how hard it gets, know that we too wage war with this and we are all fighting together. Remember to enjoy life as much as you can, to love as much as you can, and to laugh as much as you can.

"May the gods walk and be with you, and in all the empty places you must walk" ~

Jay

That's beautiful  wise fellow spirit, thanks for sharing. :)

Love Nova :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:

Thanks for your lovely post, Metro. I know those lies that you wrote out are definitely all false and the result of bad benzo thinking! :P I admire your strength and I hope you continue to be able to move past those lies and into better times.

• 1 month later...
I live the benzo lies every single day river wolf. I tell the benzo infected brain that its lying to me.....and my brain simply doesn't respond its like my own mind is saying well if the benzo is lying why cant you live your life like any normal person. ..queue mind " its because you aint normal you dumbass" the benzo will always win this psychological battle I know that over time I will heal but I also know tje lies the benzos tell but if your body and mind cant synchronise together well the benzo will effectively be caught in its web of lies. Iv got my head thinking im some sort of mass murder or serial killer. Any time a crime call comes on tv with police appealing for people acting strange I expect a knock on the doors. .all though your  100% no criminal record why does the benzo lie to you about something so controversial.  It is seriously fkd up.  As you said you where scared of your cat for two years but you only noticed it was a lie when you where nearly completely healed.  I know benzos are telling lies I confront it with its lies everyday only for it to continue lying. Im agrophobic but I still force myself out the door even if its for a small stroll.  Im social phobic I can stand in a crowd but not too long. They say facing your fears regular should perspire butthey ddon't in wake up to the same fears every single day.  Yes your right benzo is a lying bastard im standing uo to the bully but it won't leave me alone :(

I want to give encouragement to those who are still struggling.  . .

it WILL get better even though you can't see it now. Those of us who have been through it and came out the other side know, but if you are still in it deep you can't see it because of the nature of the symptoms.

I'm 3 years out and I have good days and some bad days. That's just the way it is for some of us - I expect to be fully recovered in another year. But I was a bad one - you are different and unique.

I'm glad this thread has been helpful.

Just read the whole thread start to current. ..I really want to get better...why does the benzo have so much power over you...im shakin with adrenal production through reading all the posts because there are so so many people going through the same. ..I dont know what to do riverwolf do I fight it or is that the wrong thing. ...I feel these lies.

1.never going to be courageous again

2.im going to lose my job because of my agoraphobia

3. Im going to be afraid for the rest of my life

4.  Im a hopeless father and my kids wont ever forgive me

5. My friend is gonna lose faitg and give up on me

6.my anti depressants are making me worse

7. I feel I cant live like this anymore

8. I wont be confident ever again

9. Im brain damaged

10. So scared all the time

11. I wont ever get my appetite for life back

12. I face my fears everyday but benzos still make me scared

13. Im never gonna be able to cope without any help

14. Im gonna end up in psych ward and they're gonna tell me there's nothing wrong with me taking me at face value

15.  Im destined to die soon so I might as well do it now to stop suffering

16 im gonna destroy my own mind being so negative that positivity doesn't exist. ..

17. I can't remember pre benzo life

18. A three yr old has more courage than me

19. I'll never love again

20. Im gonna lose all my teeth and hair

..............just to name a few just survive every day I confront fears and I get weaker instead of strong....im a lost cause

12. Im a bad person and waste of space

13. I feel like a stranger to people iv known for yeara

14. Im gonna end up being homeless

15. I feel like a monster

• 1 month later...

Benzo Lies

I was talking with a friend about the lies that benzos tell us and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on the topic.

Here are some benzo lies that I previously posted on my blog and thought it would be good to start this thread off with.

Please add some of the lies that you used to believe and now know to be untrue.

This will be very valuable for those who are still under the spell of the lies that benzos tell us. My experience is that our thinking is fundamentally altered by benzo action during tolerance withdrawal and during tapering, and that we are not actually thinking – we are at the effect of chemical storms in our brains. And we think that these are our thoughts. And worse yet, we BELIEVE these thoughts. But what we are experiencing is chemical and electrical processes that occur during the body’s attempt to adjust these chemicals and processes on the fly.

Now that I am feeling better, it’s easy to see some of the lies the benzos tell us. They are plain to see in hindsight. But for those of you who are having troubles with taper symptoms, or pre or post-taper symptoms, I wanted to help you to see  some of the lies that the benzos have told me, and may be telling you too.  Hopefully, you will be able to use this to understand more about your experience and maybe you could use this post as a template for reality.

Benzo Lie # 1. There is no hope.  This one is nasty. Do not believe this lie. It can take you down fast. It is not true, even though it feels very true. For me, this hopelessness was a result of benzo created chemical imbalances coloring my thinking into a perceived end of time. I could not imagine time extending for more than 3 months into the future. There was no way I could think of any possible outcome at all – not even a negative one, and all of my imagined outcomes of less than 3 months were negative. If you cannot imagine a positive future for yourself, know you are under the trance of lie # 1.

Benzo Lie # 2. My Life is ruined.  Do not believe this lie. You are in a temporary state of withdrawal. It is an awful state, but it is temporary and you will move out of it and have a life that you can mold into what you had before or one that is better than before. When you can think clearly, you are able to fashion a life that is better than what happened to you when you were tranquilized and your life fell apart as a result of being drugged. When you are out of withdrawals and free from the effects of their symptoms, you will be in a better position to solve problems instead of having them take you down.

Benzo Lie # 3. These benzo effects will last forever.  I see this lie as being conditional.  The lie part is that if you are making decisions that will move yourself toward health and away from benzos, it will not last forever. There WILL be an end to the benzo-related troubles. As you get further away from benzos and their effects, the less the benzos will act on you.  If you make benzo related decisions that move yourself away from natural health and into benzo use, you may end up in a never ending loop of having side effects being confused as diseases, and having benzo symptoms being medicated with more benzos, and in turn, more and more drug and symptom interactions and more and more suffering.

Benzo Lie # 4. I will never be happy again  This lie broke my heart. I let this lie rob me of my dreams. I am living proof that you can totally believe this lie and live to prove it wrong. I never thought I could ever be happy ever again. I’m not only happy now, but happier than I was before I started on benzos. I feel like I have just vanquished a dragon, and there is a great deal of satisfaction in that. Now, I am happy. I am happy just because I exist and because life is available to me. There is such joy in coming back from the edge and being able to function again.

I felt like there was no way happiness could ever be attained by someone who is going through all of this suffering and torture and ineptitude, and now I’m happy.  I am the guy that was scared to death of my cat for 2 years. I was freaked out because the gardener was going to come on Wednesday and scare me with the noise of his equipment and today it’s Monday and I’m worried about it already. I couldn't drive for over a year. . . and on and on.

If you are feeling that your happiness is behind you, do not despair. You cannot absolutely know that your best days are behind you. The effects of benzo action will make you believe you cannot be happy. It is not true. After your body begins making the feel good chemicals and you are out of wd, your life can get wonderful again.

These are just a few of the benzo lies that have I have busted for myself. And there are many, many more.

Try this on - If it makes you sad, it's probably a benzo lie.

You CAN be happy again. It will feel great, and you’ll love it more than ever.  :thumbsup:

Please post the benzo lies that you have busted so others can learn from your experience.

Thank you! I needed to see this today. I was RIDDLED with benzo doubt all day!

At almost 2 and 1/2 years out, I have a question for Riverwolf and anyone else who would like to address it.

One of the benzo lies listed above by Metronome 360 was:

"My brain has been altered and the changes by the benzodiazepines cannot be reversed"

Does anyone here believe that this IS a benzo lie? Or has it been busted? That is one statement that I truly believe to be true, with all the changes that klonopin caused my brain to experience and it has been going on now for about 15 years. Before withdrawal I noticed the changes in my ability to function and did not realize that it was the benzos. It has not yet improved with withdrawal and I have serious doubts that it will.