Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Uggghhh!! looking like I am going to have to settle for being back at 1mg as opposed to .5mg. Things still are not smooth yet, but hopefully will smooth out soon. Hope I dont have to bump any higher. I looked back at my taper schedule and it does look like I possibly tapered to fast the last 1mg before getting off. Well, it wasn't fast, but perhaps should have been much slower at the end to allow my brain to adjust more to no mirt on board. After my brain was free and clear of all mirt the sxs really started coming. Im really tired of this WD crap :tickedoff:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[82...]

Uggghhh!! looking like I am going to have to settle for being back at 1mg as opposed to .5mg. Things still are not smooth yet, but hopefully will smooth out soon. Hope I dont have to bump any higher. I looked back at my taper schedule and it does look like I possibly tapered to fast the last 1mg before getting off. Well, it wasn't fast, but perhaps should have been much slower at the end to allow my brain to adjust more to no mirt on board. After my brain was free and clear of all mirt the sxs really started coming. Im really tired of this WD crap :tickedoff:

The WD from Mirt is horrific for many.  I am wondering which med to taper, the mirt (3.5) or valium (12mg)  Had to reinstate Mirt because it was bad. If I go down that road again, very slowly, I am afraid I won’t be in any shape to taper the Valium.  Would love some opinions.  Dr. is adamant about getting rid of Mirt.  Thank you!

It’s somewhat of a toss up. Either one can help mask the WD sxs of the other. I’ve tapered both & my advice would be to taper the mirtazapine first since, from my experience, it’s been a booger to get off of. Having the Valium on board may help you ease off it. The Valium was relatively easy for me to get off using a liquid form of it at the end. But don’t make a decision on my opinion alone. Gather more information before you decide which way to go. It literally is a choice of “picking your poison”.  :-\

Pokey

The WD from Mirt is horrific for many.  I am wondering which med to taper, the mirt (3.5) or valium (12mg)  Had to reinstate Mirt because it was bad. If I go down that road again, very slowly, I am afraid I won’t be in any shape to taper the Valium.  Would love some opinions.  Dr. is adamant about getting rid of Mirt.  Thank you!

Two schools of thought on this. What it really comes down to is which chemical you want to use to support the taper off of the other. For many of us here including myself, the Mirt was/is used as a stabilizing force during the Benzo taper and subsequent withdrawal. Yet I’ve seen people do the exact opposite with success as well. I think what it probably should come down to is which drug is giving you the hardest time, is least stabilizing, and is the first you wish to discontinue. Which drug do you think is least disruptive to your system? That would be the one to taper last in my opinion.

[f3...]
I have decided to just cut 5 % at a time, I dont care how long it takes. I have found if I do a 5% cut I have zero symptoms but if I got to 10% its not fun at all.

[82...]

Two schools of thought on this. What it really comes down to is which chemical you want to use to support the taper off of the other. For many of us here including myself, the Mirt was/is used as a stabilizing force during the Benzo taper and subsequent withdrawal. Yet I’ve seen people do the exact opposite with success as well. I think what it probably should come down to is which drug is giving you the hardest time, is least stabilizing, and is the first you wish to discontinue. Which drug do you think is least disruptive to your system? That would be the one to taper last in my opinion.

I really appreciate your feedback. I am afraid Mirt will take so long because of the minuscule  bits I can taper that I could have Valium done with then not even worry about how long the Mirt takes,if that makes sense.

[82...]

:idiot:

I really appreciate your feedback. I am afraid Mirt will take so long because of the minuscule  bits I can taper that I could have Valium done with then not even worry about how long the Mirt takes,if that makes sense.

How long did it take after finishing up Valium did anyone feel like starting the Mirt. Taper?  I know people struggling with sxs of Mirt and still have Valium to go!

[f3...]
I would get off the benzo first and deal with the remeron later, I know that remeron really helped me with my benzo withdrawal. Now that I a'm 19 months off benzos and tapering remeron, while getting off remeron has not been fun It is nowhere near as bad as getting of xanax.

I really appreciate your feedback. I am afraid Mirt will take so long because of the minuscule  bits I can taper that I could have Valium done with then not even worry about how long the Mirt takes,if that makes sense

It sounds like the Valium is the more pressing of the two drugs you wish to discontinue. My benzo was too - in my case it was Xanax and Ativan first, then the Mirt. I personally felt that while the Mirt was difficult to get off, it was far less damaging to me than the Xanax and Ativan had been. If you have more confidence in your ability to ditch the Valium first, then I'd go that route too.

How long did it take after finishing up Valium did anyone feel like starting the Mirt. Taper?  I know people struggling with sxs of Mirt and still have Valium to go!

I didn't taper well. I jumped from benzos June 22, 2012. I did not start tapering the Mirtazapine for at least a half year. Again, I think the gut-check needs to be stabilization. When you finish your Valium taper, you're going to want to give your system some time to balance to a non-benzo life. But once you have given it some time and feel a sense of stabilization, then taking a slow approach to cutting the Mirt is ready to happen.

I was very much of your mindset. After clearing the benzo hurdle, I didn't care if it took me forever to finish my Mirt taper. And it took me about 6 years, so it sort of did :)

Good luck and hang in there,

Dave

PS - well-said bensanity:

I would get off the benzo first and deal with the remeron later, I know that remeron really helped me with my benzo withdrawal. Now that I a'm 19 months off benzos and tapering remeron, while getting off remeron has not been fun It is nowhere near as bad as getting of xanax.

[82...]

I really appreciate your feedback. I am afraid Mirt will take so long because of the minuscule  bits I can taper that I could have Valium done with then not even worry about how long the Mirt takes,if that makes sense

It sounds like the Valium is the more pressing of the two drugs you wish to discontinue. My benzo was too - in my case it was Xanax and Ativan first, then the Mirt. I personally felt that while the Mirt was difficult to get off, it was far less damaging to me than the Xanax and Ativan had been. If you have more confidence in your ability to ditch the Valium first, then I'd go that route too.

I didn't taper well. I jumped from benzos June 22, 2012. I did not start tapering the Mirtazapine for at least a half year. Again, I think the gut-check needs to be stabilization. When you finish your Valium taper, you're going to want to give your system some time to balance to a non-benzo life. But once you have given it some time and feel a sense of stabilization, then taking a slow approach to cutting the Mirt is ready to happen.

I was very much of your mindset. After clearing the benzo hurdle, I didn't care if it took me forever to finish my Mirt taper. And it took me about 6 years, so it sort of did :)

Good luck and hang in there,

Dave

PS - well-said bensanity:

You have all been so helpful!  Thank you.  Seems that Valium is the one to get out of the way!  I will speak to my dr. About this.  He has a good point about the Valium scaffold for Mirt.  But I can’t wait 6 years to get to Valium!  Thanks again!

I have decided to just cut 5 % at a time, I dont care how long it takes. I have found if I do a 5% cut I have zero symptoms but if I got to 10% its not fun at all.

I did this and it worked for me. 5% of highest dose, each time, and cut only when I felt it, usually when I got a little sleep.

[82...]

I did this and it worked for me. 5% of highest dose, each time, and cut only when I felt it, usually when I got a little sleep.

You are still tapering Remeron? 

[1f...]

What dose are you on now? How often are you cutting 5? Of previous dose?

[82...]

What dose are you on now? How often are you cutting 5? Of previous dose?

Just started REmeron taper of 5%.  Feel horrible, but don’t know if it is from the Valium or the Mirtazapine.  I think the Valium makes me feel sick.  And I am on 3.50 Remeron.  Trying to figure out whether to just stop and get rid of Valium then come back to Remeron and take all the time needed.  People of this forum have been very helpful.

Is it WD or sugar, or combo?

It has been 13 months since my quit of 3 very very short term drugs. I have already been on a severe anx. wave for 3 or 4 weeks. But, i realized that i  took some sugar recently. For example, previous night i had three wafers+one banana+2 peaches before bed and yesterday morning i woke up terrible. I got a look at the label on it and it contains 32 gr for 100 gr serve, i took app. 20 gr. And as i know people have 4 gr steadily on bloodstream. Last week while i was having some good days comparably i ate two or three spoon cremchocolate from my children's plate in patisserie, then i got hit at late evening. But i dont know it stems from sugar. I hadnt been a sugar lover before drugs, but i hadnt have a reaction to them. Sugar can exacerbate one's ongoing anx. like that? If so, i will cut forever and will be pleased to take one pistol from wd's hand. I am holding 9.3 mg.Any comment is appreciated...

[1f...]
What are you supposed to do if you have seen no healing on remeron and seen to be getting worse? Should you taper regardless?

[82...]

What are you supposed to do if you have seen no healing on remeron and seen to be getting worse? Should you taper regardless?

There is a Mirtazapine Withdrawal support group on FB.  They strongly advocate stabilizing before continuing to cut. I know it is hard.  It is a tough drug to withdrawal from for some.  Lots of members only cut 5% a month because of the sxs. Did it take you through benzo taper?

[1f...]
I was rapid tapered off a benzo 17 months ago. I kept getting worse as the months went by. In month 8 I was put on remeron. Continued to get worse and more and more symptoms. Ive never had a window or a second of distraction. I am a horror story.

[82...]

I was rapid tapered off a benzo 17 months ago. I kept getting worse as the months went by. In month 8 I was put on remeron. Continued to get worse and more and more symptoms. Ive never had a window or a second of distraction. I am a horror story.

So sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time.  I would like to begin a Valium Taper, but with Remeron giving me such a hard time, I am afraid if I go through all of that with the benzo,I will be needing it to get through Remeron w/d.  Have hope, you are off the benzo.  The Remeron takes some time for a lot,but healing does happen.

Is it WD or sugar, or combo?

It has been 13 months since my quit of 3 very very short term drugs. I have already been on a severe anx. wave for 3 or 4 weeks. But, i realized that i  took some sugar recently. For example, previous night i had three wafers+one banana+2 peaches before bed and yesterday morning i woke up terrible. I got a look at the label on it and it contains 32 gr for 100 gr serve, i took app. 20 gr. And as i know people have 4 gr steadily on bloodstream. Last week while i was having some good days comparably i ate two or three spoon cremchocolate from my children's plate in patisserie, then i got hit at late evening. But i dont know it stems from sugar. I hadnt been a sugar lover before drugs, but i hadnt have a reaction to them. Sugar can exacerbate one's ongoing anx. like that? If so, i will cut forever and will be pleased to take one pistol from wd's hand. I am holding 9.3 mg.Any comment is appreciated...

Sugar revs up any Rem w/d symptoms for me Juneight. Others here have mentioned that too. Just try to limit it is the best thing to do. I get kind of spacey and dizzy when I have too many sweets thanks to Mirt. I hope things improve for you soon.

Becky

Yup, last night I ate four ice cream cones. I was dizzy as hell after that. It feels funny just to walk. Now today I am exhausted! I have been avoiding sugar for the most part. I seen to get away with more than many here but when I have too much sugar I get some serious symptoms I never had before mirt. Lights start to seem brighter, my vision actually gets sharper but everything seems dream like. It’s very weird.

Thanks Jack and Becky. I ll cut completely artificial sweets or sweeteners. I ll give a chance to fruits. Most people dont report fruits as a trigger. So i ll try.

Lookinup, which FB group. The secret group with 50&60 members. I am in this group. (Freedom from Mirt)

Perth, you are right, but your condition isnt worse than the others. You are fortunate your GABA receptors are healing now, Remeron receptors are histamin receptors, so dont worry so much. Just wait with patience. Read Dave's and others stories over and over and then see you can get through this journey...

Thanks Jack and Becky. I ll cut completely artificial sweets or sweeteners. I ll give a chance to fruits. Most people dont report fruits as a trigger. So i ll try.

Lookinup, which FB group. The secret group with 50&60 members. I am in this group. (Freedom from Mirt)

Perth, you are right, but your condition isnt worse than the others. You are fortunate your GABA receptors are healing now, Remeron receptors are histamin receptors, so dont worry so much. Just wait with patience. Read Dave's and others stories over and over and then see you can get through this journey...

Just a heads up. Fruits trigger me just as bad. Sometimes worse because of the histamine. I can’t have more than one apple. I can’t eat bananas, peaches, plums or cherries AT ALL! I would rather eat an entire box of cookies than a couple of peaches. That is my experience. Weird as it seems. My body seems to dislike fructose more than table sugar.

[82...]

Mirtazapine withdrawal and recovery support group.  May want to check it out.