Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Hardy Thanks for responding.  I’m going through so much. I tapered from lorazepam for 8 months  Was on 1.5  The first few months I went too fast with the help of a crazy doctor who knew nothing about tapering. I had an idea but I wasn’t that knowledgeable about tapering so I turned to a compound pharmacy. 

I know nothing about how important it was to stabilize. So at the beginning of my taper I was cutting 0.1 every week until I got to .3 that is when I slowed down considerably

My pattern of symptoms throughout my taper had been one better day one bad. On my bad day Im suffering with physical chemical anxiety inner restlessness torture on my better day it’s not as severe very mild symptoms.

When I jumped I had to go on 400 mg of gabapentine.

I see small improvements so far. My bad days have lessened in duration and sometimes not as severe. I’m going through pure hell

It’s been pure hell.

Do you have a pattern as well and how are you doing with your taper

Tulip

Tulip, just like you I had been cutting 0.1mg per week most weeks, sometimes holding like for Christmas. And again like you, I am struggling a bit at 0.3mg, awful tummy upset and churning anxiety, crying etc. But I will cut next week and then hopefully be off by end of Feb. There is no real pattern to my days. This journey is certainly not linear! This is what I love about BB, you learn that all these horrors are entirely NORMAL!  Last week I had several really good days when I was able to go out with my sister and do some normal stuff, shopping, hairdressers etc. This week dreadful.

I’m glad Gabapentine has helped you

Healing hugs.

Tomson- going from 1.5 down to .75 in 3 months may be too fast for you. 

I feel broken to read this. 5% every month...from now 0.75mg...this would take 2-3 years...

i cant even think of that - plus it's technically not possible. We have no pharmacies in this country which would create a liquid form for me and i cant do it on my own - this would certainly go very wrong. 5% with pill cutter is impossible. The smallest i can go is about 0.125mg - even this is not very ...accurate

I cant believe what i'm in  :-[

I feel broken to read this. 5% every month...from now 0.75mg...this would take 2-3 years...

i cant even think of that - plus it's technically not possible. We have no pharmacies in this country which would create a liquid form for me and i cant do it on my own - this would certainly go very wrong. 5% with pill cutter is impossible. The smallest i can go is about 0.125mg - even this is not very ...accurate

Please don't be discouraged, I know it looks bleak but the days pass and somehow, we find our way out of this mess.  What about ordering a jewelers scale to weigh your doses, we can help you figure it out because the author of the method in this link is a member.  Bob7 Benzo Dry Taper Method 

Please don't be discouraged, I know it looks bleak but the days pass and somehow, we find our way out of this mess.  What about ordering a jewelers scale to weigh your doses, we can help you figure it out because the author of the method in this link is a member.  Bob7 Benzo Dry Taper Method

Tomson

I have been making very small dry cuts using a jewelers scale and instructions from Bob7 that Pamster

referred you to.  If I can do it, you can too.  Try not to be discouraged.  When  I started my taper , I was taking 1.25 mg a day divided into 3 doses: .5mg in the morning, .25 mg at midday and .5 at bedtime.

At the beginning I was cutting all three doses by a tiny percentage but then decided to cut just the first two and hold my bedtime dosage until last.  This is one suggestion that Dr Ashton makes.  It works for me although I have WD symptoms almost constantly. I usually cut every two weeks but sometimes hold a bit longer if I’m feeling particularly bad.

It takes a little practice with the scale at very small cuts and doses but I have just made up my mind that this is something I do every week or two and I always try to notice how small the pieces are getting and that this means progress.

It’s not easy.  I very seldom feel “normal” but I know I can’t go back so I try to keep the end in sight and know that when the benzo is out of my body and brain, I can start to heal

Some days I can’t believe I’m in this position either but I can’t change that now. I just have to keep going forward. It’s hard but I know I can get there and you can too.  All of us here are in the same boat and we will try to encourage you along the way!  :smitten:

2cats :)

Tompson777, we get through this! My journey to get off benzos and return to a "normal" pre-benzo state has been going on for about 3 years. I had been having interdose withdrawal--which meant I was developing or had hit tolerance on my then dose--and understood I had to either up my dose of lorazepam or get off the meds. I knew instinctively that I had to get off the meds. I have grown as a human being through this process. You can do this too. Please be patient. This doesn't happen quickly. The people and information on this site have been an incredible resource. They have never let me down.

Thank you all for your kind encouragement.

I love you all - even if i dont know you. I love you because i know you are out there and going through the same or similiar than i go. May God bless us all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people I have a question.

When tapering down, did it get better a lower doses?

Because it seem all medicines have a curve where it works the best considering to the dose. Say Lorazepam between 0,5 and 1 mg (per dose).

I am at ~0,70 mg ×4 times and after an "easy" start, it got really tough, (steep part of the s-curve)and switched to a daily micro dosing of 0,2% per day.(1,4% a week)

Symptoms are mostly extreme stress, short peroids of panic or depression and insomnia and not so much anxiety.

So is there some hope it will get better say below 0,5 (per dose)?

I lost much due these medicines, first paxil poopout, which I got for stress only, biggest fault of my life.

When it poopout I got symptoms 100 times worse then before, depression, madness, anxiety etc.

Then number two, second mistake, going on Lorazepam in the search of a new ad, which never worked.

So now another problem added again..So many years destroyed...

I have lost so much, my dreamjob, house, girfriend, just my whole life is gone.

Its only survival, crawling to the end and sometimes enjoy the spare hours in the evening.

I hope to continue this taper rate and get some life back.

I hope it for you all that you see the light soon.

Hi All,

Skinnered I am so sorry you are having such a hard time.  I started tapering at 1.5 mg lorazepam the first few months weren't bad but the doctor started me out too fast I slowed down and have held at times.  I am now at .481 and having a hard time I've read of those that have and easier time at the lower doses and others not so much.  It's just a big guessing game but we can keep hope that maybe the lower doses will ease up.

2cats, Tomson, JuJuBi, Hardy anyone else I missed how are ya'll doing?

Hugs❤

Dianedeedee, congrats on being so low.

I wish I allready was there.

Hopefully you get an easier time when dropping your tapering rate.

I am trying a daily micro reduction of 0,2% per day since a few days, it looks like its working, but have to see how it goes the next days/weeks though.

Sorry you are having a rough day Dianedeedee. I hope you get a lovely window this evening.

I was going to cut to 0.1mg yesterday but was so wired I just didn’t. This morning, I was getting anxious about my cleaner coming and my online shopping arriving. I suddenly thought…….20 years ago, I would have been worried about actually doing the shopping and the cleaning!! Never satisfied are we!? At 0.2mg, I have stopped having the sobbing sessions, I no longer feel depressed and I am starting to plan a few things for the future BUT I get so TENSE! Any little thing sort of overstimulates me where I can’t relax properly. I just tell myself it’s all the GABA receptors and it will pass, I do hope it does.

Skinnered, so pleased to hear your 0.2% reduction is working for you. For me, the journey has been harder at the lower doses but I am getting some good windows now.

Healing hugs and prayers to everyone, I really don’t know what I would do without BB.

Thanks Dianedeedee, hopefully it wil be better soon.

I also have a rough day, to much vit D, so revved up today.

Hardy66, wow, close to the finish line, hopefully ypu can jump soon :)

Sorry you are having a rough day Dianedeedee. I hope you get a lovely window this evening.

I was going to cut to 0.1mg yesterday but was so wired I just didn’t. This morning, I was getting anxious about my cleaner coming and my online shopping arriving. I suddenly thought…….20 years ago, I would have been worried about actually doing the shopping and the cleaning!! Never satisfied are we!? At 0.2mg, I have stopped having the sobbing sessions, I no longer feel depressed and I am starting to plan a few things for the future BUT I get so TENSE! Any little thing sort of overstimulates me where I can’t relax properly. I just tell myself it’s all the GABA receptors and it will pass, I do hope it does.

Skinnered, so pleased to hear your 0.2% reduction is working for you. For me, the journey has been harder at the lower doses but I am getting some good windows now.

Healing hugs and prayers to everyone, I really don’t know what I would do without BB.

Hi Hardy,

Thank you.  I am so happy for you that you aren't having the crying sessions and depression, its wonderful that you can plan for the future.  I have the same problem with getting tense over anything!  I hope you are having a good week.

Hugs and prayers❤🙏

Thanks Dianedeedee, hopefully it wil be better soon.

I also have a rough day, to much vit D, so revved up today.

Hardy66, wow, close to the finish line, hopefully ypu can jump soon :)

Hi Skinnered,

You are very welcome.  I hope your cuts are going well.  I'm sorry about the vitamin  D.  It seems like everything i have tried backfires on me so I'm not taking any supplements.  My CNS is so sensitive its ridiculous!

Sending you hugs and prayers

Just want to drop a few lines (i cant read too much in this forum, i've learned that it fuels my anxiety especially when i'm in withdrawal phase)

Last 4 weeks were ...well...not so nice. The withdrawal in the last weeks was the hardest so far. Did have some very unpleasant and inconvenient thoughts during these weeks because of all the symtpoms - did talk to my psychatrist about it. I'm slowly better now - one day is better the other is bad etc. it's alternating currently - but worst part seems to be over for the current phase.

On the bright side...:

- i've realized that i need more help - i was always someone who had troubles asking for help - thinking i had to go through everything alone. I'm slowly changing that. Looked out for some Peer/Recovery group and will probably go to some meeting in the next 1-2 months when Covid Certificate/Green pass will be terminated in my country (currently you need Vaccination pass for attending such meetings)

- Last week i was on the edge of a panic attack - the first since i'm being on this medicine. Guess it was rebound effect or withdrawal effect. However i've decided because of that to go jogging again. So i've started jogging again first time since 4-5 years - i've forgot how good it feels to release at least some pressure by going on a run - even though my body is weakened from the last weeks - had some days with harsh muscle tremors and shaking, it seems that it was sucking out energy out of me.

- Plus my doctor advised me to change from Temesta regular pills to Temesta Expidet (the ones you let melt on your tongue). Because the "Expidet" Pills are a little bit larger than the regular pills and you can easily cut them with a scalpell without having the pills breaking apart in tiny pieces sometimes and having uneven pill halving. I think it will be technically easier for me to make smaller reduction cuts by this. This gives me some hope. I will first make the change on the morning dosage for the 0.25 and then after some weeks for the evening dosage.

I go now into stabilization phase for at least 2 months and trying to get the head free a little bit from these pills.

I'm still somehow very emotional (got tremendous emotional instability) hence i wish every individual out there who is reading these lines strenght, hope, love and everything you need to endure your next steps - may God bless you all  :smitten:

Just want to drop a few lines (i cant read too much in this forum, i've learned that it fuels my anxiety especially when i'm in withdrawal phase)

Last 4 weeks were ...well...not so nice. The withdrawal in the last weeks was the hardest so far. Did have some very unpleasant and inconvenient thoughts during these weeks because of all the symtpoms - did talk to my psychatrist about it. I'm slowly better now - one day is better the other is bad etc. it's alternating currently - but worst part seems to be over for the current phase.

On the bright side...:

- i've realized that i need more help - i was always someone who had troubles asking for help - thinking i had to go through everything alone. I'm slowly changing that. Looked out for some Peer/Recovery group and will probably go to some meeting in the next 1-2 months when Covid Certificate/Green pass will be terminated in my country (currently you need Vaccination pass for attending such meetings)

- Last week i was on the edge of a panic attack - the first since i'm being on this medicine. Guess it was rebound effect or withdrawal effect. However i've decided because of that to go jogging again. So i've started jogging again first time since 4-5 years - i've forgot how good it feels to release at least some pressure by going on a run - even though my body is weakened from the last weeks - had some days with harsh muscle tremors and shaking, it seems that it was sucking out energy out of me.

- Plus my doctor advised me to change from Temesta regular pills to Temesta Expidet (the ones you let melt on your tongue). Because the "Expidet" Pills are a little bit larger than the regular pills and you can easily cut them with a scalpell without having the pills breaking apart in tiny pieces sometimes and having uneven pill halving. I think it will be technically easier for me to make smaller reduction cuts by this. This gives me some hope. I will first make the change on the morning dosage for the 0.25 and then after some weeks for the evening dosage.

I go now into stabilization phase for at least 2 months and trying to get the head free a little bit from these pills.

I'm still somehow very emotional (got tremendous emotional instability) hence i wish every individual out there who is reading these lines strenght, hope, love and everything you need to endure your next steps - may God bless you all  :smitten:

Hi Tomson,

It's good to hear from you.  I'm glad the jogging is helping you.  I wish you all the best in this journey.

😊

Morning all, I hope this day brings some little bits of joy to us all. I was watching U-tube stuff and came across this as a mental exercise to encourage wellbeing……

Choose something you like to do, anything……...drinking a cup of tea…..watching tv…….having a shower…….ANYTHING.

Now, imagine that this will be the last time ever that you will be able to do this, last time EVER.

Embrace it. Smell the tea, feel how hot it is, how lovely the liquid is on your tongue, the comforting warm feeling as you swallow, take note of every little detail because this is the last time.

As you finish your enjoyable task and start to mourn the lack of it in your life, you remember, it’s OK, you CAN do it again…HOORAY!

I did this and yes, for a few seconds my mind was distracted. Always helpful in this horrid state we find ourselves.

Hey Friends,

I’m posting for a friend who is too deep into cogfog to post right now. She needs help figuring out a taper from ativan. She’s following Ashton, currently taking 0.5 mg ativan 3x/day and 5 mg valium 1x/day. The valium has helped, but also brought unpleasant side effects.

So she’s at a crossroads: keep following Ashton toward valium or try to taper directly from ativan. If she sticks to the valium plan, the schedule is cutting one 0.5 mg ativan per month. From what I’ve seen on the forums, cutting a whole dose at once seems pretty fast.

Could y’all offer a couple of suggested options from this point? I tapered straight from valium, so haven’t been able to offer her useful advice. Thanks!

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But where do I go to get a water titration schedule? I saw that you shouldn’t pm anyone to ask. So I’m not sure where to post or who to ask. I’m on 1 mg Ativan a day. Splitting it into .25 4 times a day. Every 6 hours. I’ve been doing this for at least a few years. Before that I only took it as needed. Unfortunately went through withdrawal with another psych drug and had to take the Ativan more often. And now that’s why I’m taking it every 6 hours. I know my body is addicted. I just want to get off of it, but slowly. None of the Dr’s I’ve asked have been Of any help with weaning off of it. I can’t drink milk or alcohol. I can only do oat milk. So I guess water will have to be my liquid. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But where do I go to get a water titration schedule? I saw that you shouldn’t pm anyone to ask. So I’m not sure where to post or who to ask. I’m on 1 mg Ativan a day. Splitting it into .25 4 times a day. Every 6 hours. I’ve been doing this for at least a few years. Before that I only took it as needed. Unfortunately went through withdrawal with another psych drug and had to take the Ativan more often. And now that’s why I’m taking it every 6 hours. I know my body is addicted. I just want to get off of it, but slowly. None of the Dr’s I’ve asked have been Of any help with weaning off of it. I can’t drink milk or alcohol. I can only do oat milk. So I guess water will have to be my liquid. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to the titration board, you can copy and paste this message into a post and someone will be along to help you work out a taper plan. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0

Hi everyone,

I need some reassurance. Since my last post in December, I’ve had some improvements. From December 25 till last week, my symptoms were manageable and my worst one, bad chemical depression, was non existent. I thought I was out of the wood and was very happy with that. But now, since the last few days, I really don’t know why, but all hell broke loose. The last 2 days I’ve been the worst, very bad depression and feeling of hopelessness. I don’t understand why this is happening, I am currently holding the same dose since October. The only thing that happened in the last weeks, I’ve been back full time at my job and we adopted a cat. Maybe the stress of those situations was enough to bring me in this nasty wave? I am so desperate. I fear of loosing my job and my life as I know it.

Thank you for helping me.

Marie 79