Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi DianeDD

It’s been a rough couple of weeks since my last cut.  I’m actually in my third week .  I’ve been cutting every two weeks but felt like I had to hold another week.  I haven’t been “stabilizing” in between cuts even though I’ve stretched them out so I will cut again this weekend. 

I’m really hoping I’m done tapering by the end of this year.  That would make it a two year taper from 1.25 mg.  Seems so long !

Like many, it’s getting tougher the lower I get. Makes me a little nervous for how I might feel when I walk off.  Oh well, one day at a time.  Tomorrow will have its own problems, right?

Thanks so much for asking.

I’m so sorry you’re having so much anxiety.  I can never predict when I’ll get hit with overwhelming anxiety. Can you?  One minute I’ll be fine and the next I will be freaking out!

I hope it levels out for you and so glad you had a bit of a window.  Those little moments keep us plugging along. 

Have a good evening. :smitten:

Hi 2cats,

Oh my I am so sorry it has been so rough.  You were wise to hold another week I hope this next cut is easier for you.  We just never know with this poison.  I have tried every way I can think of to make it a little easier and nothing works for me.

I sure hope this year is your year to be free.  It will be two years of tapering for me in July from 1.5 mg. 

Yep we sure never know what one day from the next will feel like.

My anxiety starts about 9 am everyday and lasts pretty much until after supper along with other symptoms.

Wishing you a good evening too.  :smitten:

Hi, I am in the process of tapering off of Ativan, originally was going to switch over to valium but my Dr. refuses to give me the correct crossover dosage, I tried with the dosage she wanted me to use and I had terrible withdrawals.  So it looks like I will stay on the  Ativan to continue tapering.  Is there anyone here that is having success with tapering the Ativan? Also is  there anyone that has completely tapered off of  the  Ativan and  how was it when you  finally jumped?  I am just so worried because I have  read  horror stories about tapering off of Ativan but very few  success  stories... Please any info. or advice would really be appreciated!!  Thank you!

Hi Graycloud,

If you will look back through this thread at Luey and JuJuBi's posts as well as others you will find encouragement.  I am tapering ativan and started off too fast I have struggled all the way but I know it can be done.  I have chosen not to cross over to valium because I have read horror stories on that also.  Hang on and do the best you can I believe we will get through this.

Hi Diane,  That happened to me  also. I went from  .5 right to .25 and  I had bad withdrawals for 2 months. Still not feeling so great. I have slowed down  to a crawl......  Thank you for responding!! :)

I decided not to try a crossover to a longer acting benzo  because I read so many posts on how difficult it can be for some.  I chose to remain with the poison I knew.  I went very very slowly with many long holds of several months built in.  I jumped from ativan on Nov. 27, 2020.

The first few months were difficult, but I was free, so I held on.  Now I'm improving, still have waves but they are fewer, shorter and less intense.  I'm not healed but I know someday I will be.  Benzodiazepines are now listed as an allergy on my medical record.  I never want to go through this again.

Go low and slow and you will make it.  Ginger

Thank you so much  Diane and Ginger for the encouragement!!!  I've been struggling so much with this and my Drs. have been causing me so much stress... By rushing me through the process and then giving me the wrong dosages etc...  I wasn't doing too  bad until  they brought all this stress to me.  All I do is  worry about getting off of this...  Thank you again,  I  truly appreciate your words!! :smitten: :smitten:

Graycloud you are so welcome.  Sadly the majority of the doctors don't have a clue about tapering and wd.  You are low in dose so just go slow.

I'm happy if my words were encouraging.  The majority of us get off benzodiazepines in spite of our doctors, not because of them.  Follow your own instincts regarding your taper.  You know yourself better than your doctor ever will.  I did my taper on my own, no doctor guiding (or misguiding) me.  One doctor told me it would be impossible for me to get off ativan without taking antidepressants, two of them, and without professional help.  Ginger

I would like to participate in this thread (My Introduction http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=264622.0) if allowed... - even if i take Temesta and not Ativan

I'm taking currently (after my last recent taper step) 0.75mg Temesta per day. And i'm looking forward (not so really...) to the next steps.

Besides 0.75mg Temesta i'm taking 25mg Pregabalin - This was part of my initial dosage in May 2021 (1.5mg Temesta and 25mg Pregabalin) - the Pregabalin was meant to be a support from the beginning once i would start to reduce Temesta. However it would be necessary to updose Pregabalin - and i dont want that. At least currently not. So i'm trying to tapering Temesta. Switching to Diazepam is also not an optimal route for me since i have high anxiety from side effects with regards to most medications and i think my psyciatrist would not support this anyway.

I'm also taking Arsenicum Album (Homopathic) and Tinctures of Passiflora, Lavandula and Avena Sative (so all plant based) in support for my nervous system

Hi Tomson, I would be careful with the herbs. I had a very bad  time when I stopped taking the  Passionflower,  I believe  I actually went into withdrawals from it, which is why i was put on Lorazapam , I was miss diagnoised with having  anxiety.  Passionflower works on the same GABA receptors as Benzo. It has been stated that it is equal to 2mg of diazapam.

Hi GrayCloud

Thanks for this information - i wasnt aware of that. However i take them in homopathic dosis not the herbs/plants directly. Some sort of tincture and only 3-4 drops with a glass of water - so it's a pretty small,homopathic dosage. I've took some of them already prior this phase i'm now in when i wasnt on any medication. Did you take the Passionflower plan/herb directly (how? in what form?)

Hi  Tomson, I had  purchased it in supplement form the NOW brand of vitamins. It  probably  does not  effect everyone the way it effected me,  I can't seem to handle any kind of supplements  or meds that mess with my head... I think that is why I am having such a hard time tapering off of the lorazapam...  It has been a nightmare...

I can't seem to handle any kind of supplements  or meds that mess with my head... I think that is why I am having such a hard time tapering off of the lorazapam...  It has been a nightmare...

I am similiar. Highly sensitive nervous system - even small dosages can have tremendous impact. Also very little alcohol have a big impact - that's why i dont trink any.

Plant-based stuff on the other side is not a problem for me - at least not in small dosages. I'm also very prone to paradox reactions to medication. Placebo effect also works pretty well on me. It seems i'm loading everything up with my anxiety  ::) - we'll get through it i'm sure

I would like to participate in this thread (My Introduction http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=264622.0) if allowed... - even if i take Temesta and not Ativan

I'm taking currently (after my last recent taper step) 0.75mg Temesta per day. And i'm looking forward (not so really...) to the next steps.

Besides 0.75mg Temesta i'm taking 25mg Pregabalin - This was part of my initial dosage in May 2021 (1.5mg Temesta and 25mg Pregabalin) - the Pregabalin was meant to be a support from the beginning once i would start to reduce Temesta. However it would be necessary to updose Pregabalin - and i dont want that. At least currently not. So i'm trying to tapering Temesta. Switching to Diazepam is also not an optimal route for me since i have high anxiety from side effects with regards to most medications and i think my psyciatrist would not support this anyway.

I'm also taking Arsenicum Album (Homopathic) and Tinctures of Passiflora, Lavandula and Avena Sative (so all plant based) in support for my nervous system

Welcome Tomson,

Glad you are here.  I'm sorry your anxiety is rough I also have high anxiety my CNS does not like anything!

You will find a lot of good info on this thread.  I have read it from the beginning several times. 

Wishing you the best with your taper.

Hugs ❤

Hi Tomson,  I noticed  that  you also take the Avena Sativa , How do you like  that?  Does it help?  I bought it a few weeks ago after researching  to make sure it does not effect the  GABA receptors and it does not but I have been afraid to take it. Worried about a  bad reaction, since everything seems to effect  me negatively.

Welcome tomson777 and Grey Cloud– glad you are here.  You will find a lot of support and information here. This is not a journey for wimps but it can be done and this is a good place to be. Stay away from the scary stories and Try to stay as positive as you can.  Man it is really hard if not impossible sometimes.  We will heal.

Grey Cloud - your story sounds a bit similar to mine.  I was put on Xanax because of a side effect of another med.  I was switched over to Ativan and have tapered.  My early journey was hell. I went way too fast. But I have slowed down and taking my time. My symptoms have been pretty mild since September (a few waves here an there but nothing I couldn’t get through)  and close to symptom free since November and I feel better and better as I get lower.  I have this nagging feet burning symptom but even that has eased.  I feel very blessed to feel as good as I do.  Tapering Ativan is very doable. Many have done it with success and we will too.

Gingermint-I am so glad to hear you are improving. Yes one day you will be healed.  Thank you so much for coming out here and still supporting even though you are off.

Dianedeedee-I think about you and pray for you often.  One day your symptoms will ease.  I know we all can’t wait for the day to be off this stuff and healed.

Hugs to all.  We got this.

JuJuBi

Hi JuJuBi,

I always love hearing from you and how well you are doing.  Thank you I keep praying that my symptoms will ease they have been pretty rough the past few weeks. 

You give us all hope that we will heal soon.  I think of you often too.

Hugs and prayers ❤

JuJuBi,

I see you are now in the one's.  I felt it a real victory when I made it that low.  Congratulations!!  I know what it takes to get there.

I'm very happy your sx seem to be less as you get lower in dose.  I was the opposite and ended up jumping at .098.  I figured if I was going to feel lousy anyway I might as well be off the ativan. Ginger

Grey Cloud - your story sounds a bit similar to mine.  I was put on Xanax because of a side effect of another med.  I was switched over to Ativan and have tapered.  My early journey was hell. I went way too fast. But I have slowed down and taking my time.

Oh god, it's so encouraging to hear that you seemed to be in better state after taking your time of too fast first steps. Especially because you came from the same Inital dosage as i do. I feel like i've gone to fast too with my first steps from 1.5mg to 0.75mg now within 3 months. I need to take the foot of the gas - but my anxiety about the Tinnitus and Temesta is so high - i feel like i have to rush.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Hi Tomson,  I noticed  that  you also take the Avena Sativa , How do you like  that?  Does it help?  I bought it a few weeks ago after researching  to make sure it does not effect the  GABA receptors and it does not but I have been afraid to take it. Worried about a  bad reaction, since everything seems to effect  me negatively.

Frankly  i think it has not too much impact on me. But keep in mind that i really only take on homopathic tincture so i dont know about taking it in any other forms. The product i take is really really mild.

I understand your worries - i worry also about every supplement, vitamin etc. i take currently in this situation. It seems like the anxiety just attaches itselve to every object the mind can find. :-\

Hi All, good to read how everyone is getting on. I honestly think I would have given up months ago if I hadn’t had BB to read in the really bad moments. Just knowing that others are suffering and NOT giving in is a massive support. I very nearly took extra Lorazepam this morning. I had just had enough. I cannot keep still today and my stomach is doing cartwheels. This time last week I was feeling pretty good. No sense to the symptoms at all. Thank you all for the hope and support.

Healing Hugs and Prayers.

Horrible day for me too. Anxiety crawling up my stomach. I guess it was too early to be sure that i had my last taper behind me and absorbed it. Just cried my heart out to my sister. Talked with my neighbour about how he did master the tough times in his life.

Talking helps.  Also thought today about raising my dosage again to last pre-taper levels. Not today - i'll wait another 24hours and look how it unfolds. Have to stay away from my computer for a fews days.

Wish you all luck and love for the next few days :smitten:

Tomson- going from 1.5 down to .75 in 3 months may be too fast for you. 

I went from 1.5 to .65 in 2 months before I put on the brakes. I was nearly bed bound.  I had a friend suggest I hold and try 3% a month.  I thought crazy slow but I was not in a good place and I had to be functional and work. I was willing to try. My other choice updose and start over.  Not a choice in my book. It took patience and a lot of forced positivity. After a couple months at 3% things started to improve. I gradually went up to 6% a month and SX acted up again. I held and dropped back to 3%.  I found my threshold is about 5.5% a month max.  It took another 10 months to start feeling good with few symptoms. It is going to take me FOREVER it seems to get off this stuff. But a very dear friend said “who cares how long it takes. You only want to do this once no matter how slow. And get it to be as insignificant as brushing your teeth”  I do not know how much longer it will take me and I have not given myself a date. I am happy to live with this functionality and what few symptoms do pop up now. I just keep the syringe going in the right direction and one day it will be empty.  My hubby wisely said pretend its like insulin you just have to take it everyday. But unlike a diabetic one day I won’t have to. So I am blessed in that. This is not forever.

I wish us all healing and peace.

JuJuBi