Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

You are welcome, Caseychina.

Unexpected changes in manufacturer can be quite unsettling.

To be on the safe side, I suggest you switch to the Teva, then hold for a few days to see how you react. Refrain from making other changes during this evaluation period (e.g. do not make a reduction in dose, change your dosing schedule, add another medication or supplement, etc.).

Hello,

Just checking in on the ativan board.  How is everyone doing? 

Casey I hope you got the brand figured out and are doing better.

2Cats how is your sciatica?

I've had a rough week except for Wednesday it was a more functional day.  Thank goodness.

JuJuBi I saw where you are down to .177 yay for you!!!  You so deserve to be there.

Hope everyone else is hanging on.

Hugs❤

I’m trying to get the brand name Ativan.  It will be denied and my dr has to fight for it.  I don’t want to deal with the generics anymore if I don’t have to.  Years ago I tried name brand Ativan and it was fine. Praying it works out

Strange. I can’t find the manufacturer of brand name Ativan

The pharmacy should be able to tell you the manufacturer.

Hi!

I'm newly about to start a taper of ativan 1mg after 3 months of use. Any advice would be amazing! Starting with a slow dry taper as i'm already in tolerance withdrawl so I figure i'll just deal with the symptoms and start coming down. My pills are 0.060 in weight each and i'm gonna attempt dropping 10% every 2 weeks and see how i feel. Again ANY advice is appreciated! I have 2mg valium tablets just in case but I haven't taken them cause I really dont want to intro a new benzo into the mix. Praying the symptoms dont get too rough. Wish me luck!

Hi!

I'm newly about to start a taper of ativan 1mg after 3 months of use. Any advice would be amazing! Starting with a slow dry taper as i'm already in tolerance withdrawl so I figure i'll just deal with the symptoms and start coming down. My pills are 0.060 in weight each and i'm gonna attempt dropping 10% every 2 weeks and see how i feel. Again ANY advice is appreciated! I have 2mg valium tablets just in case but I haven't taken them cause I really dont want to intro a new benzo into the mix. Praying the symptoms dont get too rough. Wish me luck!

Good luck StrongLikeThis, have you decided on a taper approach?  Are you cutting your pills or weighing them to achieve the 10%?

I'm hoping you won't introduce another benzo into the mix unless of course you're considering completely crossing over to Valium.

@[Pa...]

The math makes my head hurt lol but I started at each pill weighing 0.060 so I shaved them down with a nail file to both pills now weighing 0.059 . Took my 5am dose, feeling good, gonna take my 5pm dose and do it again dropping to 0.58 tomorrow. If I can tolerate this small drop for a week, the next week i'll start to drop by 2 points and see how I feel. I'm also open to dosing more times if this 12hr gap gets too rough :o

@Pamster hi there! So i've decided to weigh and shave. My idea is that once I get pretty pretty low if it gets difficult i'll switch to water titration (cant drink whole milk only almond). if thats still too hard i'll switch to valium. Valium switch is my lassssst resort and at the lowest dose I can.

The math makes my head hurt lol but I started at each pill weighing 0.060 so I shaved them down with a nail file to both pills now weighing 0.059 . Took my 5am dose, feeling good, gonna take my 5pm dose and do it again dropping to 0.58 tomorrow. If I can tolerate this small drop for a week, the next week i'll start to drop by 2 points and see how I feel. I'm also open to dosing more times if this 12hr gap gets too rough :o

Sounds like a plan, one tip I've learned from members is when adding an extra dose in the day its important to hold your taper because you body may see the change as a reduction.

Just remember to listen to your symptoms, if you begin to feel too unwell hold your dose because tapering allows you to use the drug to minimize your symptoms, once off the drug, you'll be at their mercy.  I'm sure you're aware that getting off the drug is only the first step, recovering from it is the next and it can take some time.

*correction that drop will definitely be 0.058 NOT 0.58

Okay i'll definitely remember that if I add a dose.

Yes yes I realize this will be quite a long journey and the success stories keep my eyes on the prize! I was just so scared to start but I realized every cut it a cut towards healing so I gotta start even super small is still a start! I  can already feel the damage done from this drug so I cannot wait to finally be in recovery and do the work to heal 🙌🏾 I have to do this for my 2 small kids, they deserve a functional happy and healthy mommy! 😃

I do have a question i'm not sure if you have knowledge about but have you heard of tachycardia while on this medicine? I know they say its supposed to lower your heart rate but it does the opposite for me ever since i've started it I have been tachy. my resting heart rate was in the 60-70 range before ativan now its 90-100. I really hope it reregulates itself once i'm off. Working with my cardiologist on this too.

*correction that drop will definitely be 0.058 NOT 0.58

Okay i'll definitely remember that if I add a dose.

Yes yes I realize this will be quite a long journey and the success stories keep my eyes on the prize! I was just so scared to start but I realized every cut it a cut towards healing so I gotta start even super small is still a start! I  can already feel the damage done from this drug so I cannot wait to finally be in recovery and do the work to heal 🙌🏾 I have to do this for my 2 small kids, they deserve a functional happy and healthy mommy! 😃

I do have a question i'm not sure if you have knowledge about but have you heard of tachycardia while on this medicine? I know they say its supposed to lower your heart rate but it does the opposite for me ever since i've started it I have been tachy. my resting heart rate was in the 60-70 range before ativan now its 90-100. I really hope it reregulates itself once i'm off. Working with my cardiologist on this too.

Well, as you can see I didn't catch your drop number, but I'm glad you did, I didn't taper so when I see these percentages my eyes glaze over, maybe I should stay out of the taper advice business, huh?  :laugh:

You have a great attitude and wonderful motivation so I have no doubt you're going to be successful.  As for the tachycardia, I don't have experience but I've seen a lot of discussion about it on the forum, they mention beta blockers.  Have you discussed it with your doctor?

My god this wave is so hard…

I am really trying to stay positive, but I really don’t understand why this wave is so hard and long. I am feeling awful, I haven’t been this bad since the few first months of my benzo w/d. It frustrates me because I haven’t touch to my doses since the last 5 months. 5 months of doing absolutely nothing in the withdrawal department… Why this is so hard now? It is supposed to get better at this point. I am obsessed to find why I am feeling so much worst. I can’t pinpoint anything. I think I am losing it, I am lacking confidence that I will be able to achieve this withdrawal. I feel stuck.

I am so discouraged. I know I must stay positive. I need to ventilate… it is so hard when you have nobody to talk with about all this ordeal.

Anyway, thank you to anyone who would read me.

My god this wave is so hard…

I am really trying to stay positive, but I really don’t understand why this wave is so hard and long. I am feeling awful, I haven’t been this bad since the few first months of my benzo w/d. It frustrates me because I haven’t touch to my doses since the last 5 months. 5 months of doing absolutely nothing in the withdrawal department… Why this is so hard now? It is supposed to get better at this point. I am obsessed to find why I am feeling so much worst. I can’t pinpoint anything. I think I am losing it, I am lacking confidence that I will be able to achieve this withdrawal. I feel stuck.

I am so discouraged. I know I must stay positive. I need to ventilate… it is so hard when you have nobody to talk with about all this ordeal.

Anyway, thank you to anyone who would read me.

Marie I am so sorry you are suffering so much.  Who knows you probably didn't do anything to cause this wave sometimes we don't.  Why have you held for so long?  I know how hard it is to try and stay positive when you are suffering so much.  I'm not good at distracting but it does help some at times.  I wish I had answers for you.

Prayers for you 🙏

Thank you so much Dianedeedee. You are always there for us, having good words to comfort us.

I held this long because I have been in a wave since November. I’ve seen some improvements in January, and I was projecting to resume my taper when this other wave hit 3 weeks ago.

Maybe I should decrease a little bit, even If I feel bad, just to encourage myself.

Hello everyone,

The this thread has been quiet so that either means everyone is feeling better and living life a little or like me just feel so darn bad you don't want to post.  I hope it's not the latter.

Just wanted to check in.

Prayers and hugs❤

[23...]

Yep, like you!!  :smitten:

One day, one day.

Do you get the swollen brain feeling?!?

I’d like to know how people deal with this and how to taper with this. Ugh!

Oh, I’m doing what you did last time and not moving the time of my doses for the time change.

Not putting my body through that.

Hugs

Winnie

Hi Winnie,

I don't have the swollen brain feeling I do have annoying headaches and sometimes pressure like sinus.

Oh yes not messing with doses this time either.

Hang in there.

Hugs❤

Hi fellow taper warriors ,

So I came to see if anyone has ever experienced their heart rate just suddenly drop to around 40bpm for seemingly no reason then just palpitations and strange heartbeats after. Has this happened during taper for anyone? It goes back to normal within seconds too but

I just got in from the er and they don't think it's dangerous nor related to my Ativan. I notice my weird beating around dose times though 😓 I think its related and they just can't convince me otherwise.

So I came to see if anyone has ever experienced their heart rate just suddenly drop to around 40bpm for seemingly no reason then just palpitations and strange heartbeats after. Has this happened during taper for anyone? It goes back to normal within seconds too but

I just got in from the er and they don't think it's dangerous nor related to my Ativan. I notice my weird beating around dose times though 😓 I think its related and they just can't convince me otherwise.

Hi Strong,

I'm sorry you are having this and that you had to go to the ER.  I haven't had this type of issue I have heart pals at times.  Withdrawal can sure cause us strange symptoms.  I'm sorry I can't help you hopefully someone else on here has had the same symptom and and can offer you some validation. 

Wishing you the best with your taper.  I know how frustrating and hard it is dealing with wd.

😊 Diane

Yep, like you!!  :smitten:

One day, one day.

Do you get the swollen brain feeling?!?

I’d like to know how people deal with this and how to taper with this. Ugh!

Oh, I’m doing what you did last time and not moving the time of my doses for the time change.

Not putting my body through that.

Hugs

Winnie

Hello Winnie:

I havent posted in thread in quite some time as I nearly fully recovered years ago and am living my life. That said, how do people deal with this and taper? Well, regarding tapering you have of course by now seen that everyone has their own ideas on what constitutes the ideal tapering strategy. The key, is to not taper too fast for how YOU feel but on the other hand not to drag the taper out unecessarily long. Finding that balance is they key and listening to your body's response is the tool. Tapering to 0, jumping and staying off is necessary to begin the healing and return to feeling great. However, many of us will need to go through tremendous suffering through the withdrawal and post-jump phases from benzos. We must accept the suffering and not let it deter us from the taper, jumping and staying off. Even going super slow on the taper will come with suffering.  Just try to get through each moment knowing that it is bringing you closer to joy, healing, and recovery.  I had nearly every sx in the book from ativan and can say unequivocally that I feel great and live my life normally, with the one exception that my sleep patterns seemed to have permanently change. Nobody should suffer through what benzos bring and everyone tapering must hold strong to get to a 0 dose level and accept the possibility that complete recovery has a unique timeline for each of us. Good luck!

laser

Hi Strong,

I'm sorry you are having this and that you had to go to the ER.  I haven't had this type of issue I have heart pals at times.  Withdrawal can sure cause us strange symptoms.  I'm sorry I can't help you hopefully someone else on here has had the same symptom and and can offer you some validation. 

Wishing you the best with your taper.  I know how frustrating and hard it is dealing with wd.

😊 Diane

Thank you so much! Withdrawl definitely causes strange symptoms. I truly wish I never was given this stuff by so called medical professionals. 😕

If I can guess, i'd say the lower I taper maybe its my anxiety creeping back and i'll need to find a way to reduce/eliminate stressors and deal with my anxiety head on. I will be trying magnesium once I am done and hopefully it brings relief! GOOD LUCK CONTINUING YOUR JOURNEY and i'm available to be ab ear if/when you need one !

Strong thank you.  Yes it could be anxiety it is vicious.  Anxiety and burning stomach are my worst symptoms.  I'm so anxious today that I can't hardly stand it.  I try deep breathing, EFT and talking myself out of it but nothing seems to work very well.  Being outside helps some but it has been so cold and I can't take the cold right now.  I so hope your anxiety doesn't get bad.

Sending hugs and prayers ❤

@[di...]

Oh no!!! I don't like to hear that thats so unfortunate! I was gonna recommend outdoors but I live in southern USA and it is sunny and 60degrees. Can you settle in enough to nap maybe? To me when symptoms get too heavy I force myself to just sleep. Burning stomach sounds awful have you found anyone on here with tips for relief for that? I have tummy moments but I have gallstones :/ try maybe exhausting your anxious energy through writing coloring exercising cleaning/organizing anything you can physically stand. Im so sorry this is your day today. Please continue to believe that the day is coming where you will be free and healed from all of this and life lessons will be strong. YOU are strong! One day at a time, lets conquer this beast!

Sending hugs and prayers to you too ❤️💪🏾

@diane

Oh no!!! I don't like to hear that thats so unfortunate! I was gonna recommend outdoors but I live in southern USA and it is sunny and 60degrees. Can you settle in enough to nap maybe? To me when symptoms get too heavy I force myself to just sleep. Burning stomach sounds awful have you found anyone on here with tips for relief for that? I have tummy moments but I have gallstones :/ try maybe exhausting your anxious energy through writing coloring exercising cleaning/organizing anything you can physically stand. Im so sorry this is your day today. Please continue to believe that the day is coming where you will be free and healed from all of this and life lessons will be strong. YOU are strong! One day at a time, lets conquer this beast!

Sending hugs and prayers to you too ❤️💪🏾

Thank you Strong.  I know it will get better but it's just so hard day after day.

Thank you for the hugs and prayers we can sure use we can get.❤