Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Marie,

I am so sorry you are in a bad wave after having several tolerable weeks.  Sometimes we can't figure out why it happens I know for me the tiniest bit of change in my life throws me for a loop.  It could be the stress of working full time and the new cat or your body telling you it's going to do some more healing.  I wish we had specific answers for our questions.  I hope the wave washes away soon.

I had a bit of confusion at the pharmacy when they told me Ativan by Teva was discontinued.

Teva has been putting out the Ativan that had been made by Actavis which still had the old Watson imprint.

The confusion is that they changed now to an in-house production with a new NDC, and the other one is discontinued. So they're ordering the new one. Does anyone have experience with it?

I've had difficulty with manufacturing changes in the past. I was started so long ago on the original Wyeth brand name. I don't even know if there were generics then. And then I was on Watson when it was actually made by the company called Watson and manufactured in California. The manufacturing went overseas and I had difficulty on it. I tried various generics until I found Vintage which worked well. And I believe that became Qualitest. Then that was discontinued. Mylan was a good substitute but was discontinued. I was trialed on various generics and failed on them and put on the brand name by that point was made in Germany by a Canadian company. Then that German version was discontinued; it's now made in Canada. But to save money, I tried the generics again, and the Watson (by Teva/Actavis) was the only that worked and did not cause additional withdrawal. I am a bit concerned by this change. The 0.5 mg are no longer scored. I can recall people on Klonopin having difficulty I believe when Teva changed the Actavis formula. Teva bought Actavis back in 2016 but I guess only now is bringing everything in house.

This is the one medication I've taken over the years that has had the most discontinuations. Not even the brand (which costs thousands) has stayed the same over time.

Thank you so much DianeDeeDee,

Thank you for your support, it means a lot to me. It is so difficult, my taper was supposed to be short, I was a very short user (only 2 weeks). I can't believe that it is happening to me. I think what is it the most difficult is not being able to taper, being stuck at the same place for months. It gives my this feeling that I will never be able to taper it. It is so frightening! Do you think I should taper a bit even if I have symptoms?

Hi Marie,

I am so sorry I was on a little longer than you but by the time I figured out was going on I was dependent.  I understand your feelings of being scared.  I'm not sure if you should taper or not I've read where some say they do cut even if they have symptoms.  You have to do what you feel is right for you.  Sometimes going with what your gut is telling you is best.  Please know that we are all right here with you supporting you.

Hugs and prayers ❤

Hi everyone, I hope we all have a little joy in our day today. I have good news. I have been stuck on 0.2mg, not daring to cut. On Tuesday, I had to go to the dentist for 2 massive fillings that needed drilling out and repairing. I hate the dentist. I took 0.5mg Lorazepam and got through it ok with a local anaesthetic containing no adrenalin. (Not sure what it was called). I was so so relieved to get it over with and had a sense of achievement so yesterday I cut to 0.15mg and am ok so far. I wanted to share this as I have read a few posts where dentist appointments have been disastrous so this seems encouraging. I had no effects from taking the extra Lorazepam………so far. I am happy, well as happy as it gets in withdrawal!

Hugs and Prayers💖

Hi Hardy66 - I used to hang around this support group back in 2018. I've been gone ever since. I am visiting the old "neighborhood" to see how everybody is doing and to post my success story at http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=265738.0 and I saw your post..

I have been fully recovered since jumping off in January 2018 after 20+ years of 4mg ativan.

Looks like you have made tremendous progress from long-term high-dose use down to .2mg!!!

Be careful with any updosing -- you are almost there!!!! Getting through the dentist is difficult is a heck of an accomplishment. Keep it up.

I am throwing a question here to see if it happens to other. I am in a long lasting wave since November, with a short break in January, and I don’t understand why I am struggling and unable to taper, because last spring/summer/fall I was able to taper almost without symptoms. Why this is so hard for me to stabilize since November?

My question is, do the lack of sunlight can have an effect on withdrawal? I am living in Montreal (Canada) and it is cold winter here. I don’t go much outside and the days are shorter. I’ve never been prone to seasonal depression before, but I wonder if benzo W/D is making me more sensitive to that.

This wave started in mid-November, and I remember having the same pattern at the same time last winter.

Maybe some other people had the same experience?

I am throwing a question here to see if it happens to other. I am in a long lasting wave since November, with a short break in January, and I don’t understand why I am struggling and unable to taper, because last spring/summer/fall I was able to taper almost without symptoms. Why this is so hard for me to stabilize since November?

My question is, do the lack of sunlight can have an effect on withdrawal? I am living in Montreal (Canada) and it is cold winter here. I don’t go much outside and the days are shorter. I’ve never been prone to seasonal depression before, but I wonder if benzo W/D is making me more sensitive to that.

This wave started in mid-November, and I remember having the same pattern at the same time last winter.

Maybe some other people had the same experience?

Hi Marie,

I'm having a harder time this winter and I think part of it is because I can't get outside more.  Cloudy days really affect me.  I know from reading Dr. Jennifer Leigh's blog that she is a big believer in being out in the sun. I hope others will offer input on your question.

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. 

Hi everyone, I hope we all have a little joy in our day today. I have good news. I have been stuck on 0.2mg, not daring to cut. On Tuesday, I had to go to the dentist for 2 massive fillings that needed drilling out and repairing. I hate the dentist. I took 0.5mg Lorazepam and got through it ok with a local anaesthetic containing no adrenalin. (Not sure what it was called). I was so so relieved to get it over with and had a sense of achievement so yesterday I cut to 0.15mg and am ok so far. I wanted to share this as I have read a few posts where dentist appointments have been disastrous so this seems encouraging. I had no effects from taking the extra Lorazepam………so far. I am happy, well as happy as it gets in withdrawal!

Hugs and Prayers💖

Yay Hardy .15 mg that is awesome!!!  Hope you continue to feel better.

Hugs and prayers ❤

Hi everyone. I am still in a bad wave and it is not easy.

I’ve had some troubles falling asleep yesterday so I took half a Gravol. Today, I woke up very anxious, I don’t feel good at all and it is different than my usual symptoms. Could it be possible I am having paradoxical reaction to Gravol, even if it didn’t happen before?

Hi everyone, this is my 3rd day on ZERO Ativan. I jumped on 27th Feb as I was taking just a few granules of the powder, probably less than 0.1mg. It’s going ok, bit of benzo belly today and quite a lot of anxiety but hey, I expected that. I hope that after 40 years, I can give some hope to all long term users. It is possible. Love to all.

Im tapering Lorazapam.  On for 30 yrs. very sick. Akathisia 2.5 years.  Benzo withdrawal syndrome is severe.

In a frenzy. Cant  locate Watson brand.  I’ve taken that for many years and get very sick on all others.  All I can find is teva brand.  Is anyone else in this situation?  I just dont know what to do.

Im tapering Lorazapam.  On for 30 yrs. very sick. Akathisia 2.5 years.  Benzo withdrawal syndrome is severe.

In a frenzy. Cant  locate Watson brand.  I’ve taken that for many years and get very sick on all others.  All I can find is teva brand.  Is anyone else in this situation?  I just dont know what to do.

Hi Casey,

I found this by doing a search...

Teva has been putting out the Ativan that had been made by Actavis which still had the old Watson imprint.

The confusion is that they changed now to an in-house production with a new NDC, and the other one is discontinued. So they're ordering the new one. Does anyone have experience with it? 

Have you checked with your pharmacy?

I just went to pharmacy. I didn’t look at pill. Just saw on bottle said teva.  My brain is so damaged I really don’t u derstand what to even ask the pharmacy.  They are rude.  I’m so scared.

So are you saying teva has been making the Watson pills already that Ive been taking? 

Hi Casey,

I'm not sure but that's kind of what it sounds like.  I am so sorry you are having such a horrible time.

They don’t have any Watson.  So they won’t be able to tell me the ingredients in it

No one is nice.  And no one cares.  I’ve called many pharmacies. I called actavis which is the same same as Watson.  They answer the phone as teva. I’m so confused. They were closed so must call back tomorrow. I was reading that teva bought Watson/actavis a long time ago.  Pretty much like you said. I will try to call company tomorrow.  I’m so confused. I just know if it’s ingredient change I won’t be able to endure.

Thank you for your kindness

Casey you are welcome I am so sorry.  I hope you can get good answers tomorrow.  You might ask about inactive ingredients too sometimes those can be different and cause problems.

Hello, Caseychina:

You can look up the ingredients in your tablets yourself using DailyMed (see link below).

For example, here are the ingredients in the lorazepam tablets manufactured by Teva:

LORAZEPAM (UNII: O26FZP769L)

LACTOSE MONOHYDRATE (UNII: EWQ57Q8I5X)

MAGNESIUM STEARATE (UNII: 70097M6I30)

CELLULOSE, MICROCRYSTALLINE (UNII: OP1R32D61U)

POLACRILIN POTASSIUM (UNII: 0BZ5A00FQU)

Link:

DailyMed

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/

Thankyou.  I tried the link.  I’m unable to find the ingredients for lorazepam by Watson/actavis.  Can you help me. I’m sorry to be a pain.  Im very sick and I’m having trouble even typing.

Watson is not listed as one of the manufacturers.  The ingredients for Activas are the same as those for Teva:

LORAZEPAM

LACTOSE MONOHYDRATE

MAGNESIUM STEARATE

CELLULOSE, MICROCRYSTALLINE

POLACRILIN POTASSIUM

Thank you so much.  Watson and actavis are supposedly the same company. So if ingredients in teva are the same I will be ok. I appreciate your help so much.  Will call company tomorrow.

China I found this on that site for Actavis but nothing for Watson...

Lorazepam, USP, an antianxiety agent, has the chemical formula, 7-chloro-5-(o-chlorophenyl)-1,3-dihydro-3-hydroxy-2H-1,4-benzodiazepin-2-one: C15H10Cl2N2O2            M.W. 321.16 - It is a ...