Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hardy

I currently take vit D and curcumin in the morning.  Then at bedtime or shortly before, I take melatonin, magnesium and L-theanine.

I know people have different experiences and opinions about supplements.  The melatonin, theanine and magnesium really help me calm down and get to sleep.  If I’m having a really bad night with a spike in anxiety or pain I take hydroxyzine, a prescription antihistamine used for anxiety and sleep.  It gives me pretty intense grogginess the next day, though, so I use it very sparingly.

The curcumin I take for inflammation and the Vit D because I struggle to keep my levels up even when I spend time in the sun. I’ve tried some other things but these seem to give me the most benefit.

I think supplements are one of those things where everyone reacts differently and you may have to experiment if you’re so inclined.  ;)

Thanks for that 2cats, I have ordered Magnesium and Theanine today and like you say I will have to experiment. Well at least we know that they won’t be harming our bodies as much as benzos! Hope everyone has a good sleep tonight. It’s my bedtime here in the UK. Healing hugs.

HI everyone.

Maybe I need some encouragement or some tips. Since the last month or so, I am in a bad wave. The last 2 weeks have been horrid. A lot of depression and some anxiety. I am holding at the same dose since the last 2 months now. I dont see any stabilisation yet. This is the first time since the beginning of my taper (last march) that I struggle as much to find stabilization. Can you help me to see what am I doing wrong?

Of course, my situation now is very different than last spring. I was in sick leave, now I am back to work. It was spring, now it is winter. Maybe I am stressing out about Christmass and how I will be able to go throught with those awful symptoms?

I need some wisdom as I feel pretty discouraged. I've had this wonderful chance to be in a very good place, almost symptom free,  from May till november, except for a brief nasty wave in august. But this one is awfully worst and doesnt seem to go away.

Thank you for your help.

Marie

Hello Marie

I am so sorry to hear you are having a rough time.  This surely is not an easy process. I have found that even at my slow pace I have experienced waves.  I had a marvelous period of 7 weeks of clarity then back in waves and windows.  I have been in my most recent wave for almost 3 weeks. Yesterday was a better day and Today seems even clearer so far. I do think at least for me the stress of the holidays, cloudy cold winter weather, the covid stuff, family difficulties and my withdrawal have all taken a toll on my tender CNS and psyche.

I do not think you are doing anything wrong. This process is not linear and sometimes symptoms come on for seemingly no reason.  But the usually recede at some point as well.  We have to keep telling ourselves that it is temporary. There are better days ahead.  At the rough times acceptance and patience is our friend as hard as it is.

We just need to give ourselves grace and support each other.  We will get through this.

Hugs  :hug:

JuJuBi

Yes I think ups and downs are definitely part of this process too.  For me personally, I haven’t really felt “normal “ or stable since I started tapering.  I cut and hold until I feel like the worst symptoms have calmed a bit and then soldier on.

The farther I get in tapering, the longer my hold are.  This seems to be pretty common with others too.  That’s where the patience JuJuBe talked about comes in . It’s frustrating and difficult but there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

;):smitten:

Yes, I have found the same. It gets harder the lower the dose is. No logic really and definitely NOT linear. Still it helps to know that everyday can be different and to not expect too much. Makes planning pretty much impossible though. So glad I am retired, I couldn’t begin to imagine working through this. Hats off to those who do. I have started on the Magnesium, too early to tell if it’s helping yet.

Healing hugs.

I feel fortunate , too, that I’m working part-time, from home and with a flexible schedule.

You are absolutely right that everyday is a crapshoot.  I can feel pretty good in the latter part of the day and go to bed feeling hopeful and then feel completely horrible the next day.  It has taught me to slow down and enjoy the windows even if it’s only for an hour! 

We’ll be better one day! 

:)

Hello Everyone,

I’m just checking in after a long time away.

I’ve been feeling so much better. Huge progress. Im having more days feeling well than feeling bad. And the suffering is not as extreme. Last year at this time I was suffering terribly.

Today not so great, but I am pretty sure it will pass quickly. I’ve had a ton of good and bad stress in my life this last month, and I tend to react to that with symptoms.

I’ve also noticed that when I actually say out loud to my friends and family that I’m feeling good, I usually get hit the very next day with a wave. So frustrating! It feels like a spiritual attack.

Also I notice that when I’m feeling good I don’t check bb. I would say that if you wonder where everyone goes, it’s probably to a place of well being:)

Anyway, overall I’m doing So much better.

Praying we all are healed and soon!

Hi everyone,

I can so relate to waves.  You never know when you are going to get hit but oh when they ease up its wonderful.  I have also been battling a lot of stress the past 6 months and that doesn't help at all.

Praying for everyone ❤

Bibsjo

So glad you’re feeling better.  Yes I also find that if I say I out loud “ Hey, I’m feeling pretty good today . Maybe tomorrow I’ll feel even better!” then Wham! wave knocks me down!  In a weird way, I find some humor in that!  :P

Yes. Stress does number on us for sure.

:)

Hi everyone- happy to see a thread specifically about Ativan! Been on it for over 5 years (3mg daily). My doctor also won’t switch me to a longer lasting benzo to assist with withdrawals, so here I am!

My first moth of taper is almost over (3mg to 2mg daily), and tomorrow I make the second cut. I really wish I was on a longer acting one - that last 1 hour before my next dose is especially tough.

HI everyone.

Maybe I need some encouragement or some tips. Since the last month or so, I am in a bad wave. The last 2 weeks have been horrid. A lot of depression and some anxiety. I am holding at the same dose since the last 2 months now. I dont see any stabilisation yet. This is the first time since the beginning of my taper (last march) that I struggle as much to find stabilization. Can you help me to see what am I doing wrong?

Of course, my situation now is very different than last spring. I was in sick leave, now I am back to work. It was spring, now it is winter. Maybe I am stressing out about Christmass and how I will be able to go throught with those awful symptoms?

I need some wisdom as I feel pretty discouraged. I've had this wonderful chance to be in a very good place, almost symptom free,  from May till november, except for a brief nasty wave in august. But this one is awfully worst and doesnt seem to go away.

Thank you for your help.

Marie

And Marie, I saw your post and I definitely feel like there are environmental factors contributing to your struggle with stability. Being at work while on withdrawals brings a whole new level of stress and anxiety, plus it’s winter. Seasonal depression/anxiety (especially in locations that get a low of winter weather) can be it’s own beast. You seem to be doing awesome, and are undergoing a slight setback due to the changes around you. Do you have a history of seasonal depression? Because that could account for a lot of your difficulties right there!

Hi everyone- happy to see a thread specifically about Ativan! Been on it for over 5 years (3mg daily). My doctor also won’t switch me to a longer lasting benzo to assist with withdrawals, so here I am!

My first moth of taper is almost over (3mg to 2mg daily), and tomorrow I make the second cut. I really wish I was on a longer acting one - that last 1 hour before my next dose is especially tough.

Hi Horrorbear,

Good to see you on here.  You are doing awesome with your taper.  Good luck with your next cut.

I'm sorry the hour before your dose is difficult I am having the same issue.  I didn't have that until I had gotten lower in dose.  I hope it eases up for both of us.

I agree with everything you said to Marie...I can relate.

Horrorbear

Welcome to our little lorazafamily.  I love our thread where we support each other.

Just knowing we are not alone makes a difference.

Bibsjo it is so good to hear you are improving and doing well.  Gives us all hope.  Thanks for coming back in and posting.  I agree most doing well do not come out here but it is so important for those going through it to hear the positive improvement and success. 

I so get what you all are saying about talking about your good day(s) like being jinxed for daring to mention it.  I am going to chance it and share here. The last 2 days have been really good.  I have baked cookies, went to a friends holiday open house, been shopping and still working.  I was given a large project at work and I was so stressed at first but I am handling it well actually.  I have just come out of 21 days of a wave, not a horrible wave but a wave.  After each wave I seem to feel better, clearer and more myself on each window.  This one is pretty amazing.  Last night I belly laughed with friends.  It felt so normal and wonderful.  My dearest friend and I cried as she knew what I have been going through and we both cried tears of joy that we could again share this laughter and fun.

I do not know what tomorrow or the next day brings but these good days give me a boost to take with me and remember in the next wave.  Reminds me this is temporary.  This has been the hardest thing I have ever had to go through but God has carried me this far.

Hugs and Love to all. :smitten:

JuJuBi

Horrorbear

Welcome to our little lorazafamily.  I love our thread where we support each other.

Just knowing we are not alone makes a difference.

Bibsjo it is so good to hear you are improving and doing well.  Gives us all hope.  Thanks for coming back in and posting.  I agree most doing well do not come out here but it is so important for those going through it to hear the positive improvement and success. 

I so get what you all are saying about talking about your good day(s) like being jinxed for daring to mention it.  I am going to chance it and share here. The last 2 days have been really good.  I have baked cookies, went to a friends holiday open house, been shopping and still working.  I was given a large project at work and I was so stressed at first but I am handling it well actually.  I have just come out of 21 days of a wave, not a horrible wave but a wave.  After each wave I seem to feel better, clearer and more myself on each window.  This one is pretty amazing.  Last night I belly laughed with friends.  It felt so normal and wonderful.  My dearest friend and I cried as she knew what I have been going through and we both cried tears of joy that we could again share this laughter and fun.

I do not know what tomorrow or the next day brings but these good days give me a boost to take with me and remember in the next wave.  Reminds me this is temporary.  This has been the hardest thing I have ever had to go through but God has carried me this far.

Hugs and Love to all. :smitten:

JuJuBi

Oh JuJuBi,

Your post was so wonderful to read!!!  I am so happy for all of your happiness.  I can't wait to belly laugh again.  Congratulations on having some wonderful days!!!

❤ Debbie

Hi everyone! I was reading through peoples signatures on this thread airhead about taper plans, and it got me a little worried that my own taper is too fast.

I have been on 3mg for about 5 years now, and last month made the first cut from 3mg-2mg. It went pretty well! No dramatic or intense symptoms- some days it was barely noticeable. My biggest symptom is sleep issues/insomnia.

Yesterday I made the cut to 1.5mg. It seems like everyone’s taper is a lot more slow than this - also, how are you all getting such small amounts? My pill is super tiny and can barely be cut in half!

Also, when do you all notice the added symptoms kick in from a cut? Since I just made my second cut 24 hours ago, when should I expect to see more symptoms (if any)?

Thank you all for your support! I really want this taper to be done as painless as possible, and sorry I am setting myself up for failure by doing it too quickly….

Hi everyone

Horrorbear, Thank you for your words. I have never suffered of seasonal depression, or any depression before tapering Ativan. I think this is why it is so hard this symptom for me. I am a happy going person usually.

And I dry cut my pills and weight them with a jewelry scale. I don’t have any choice to go so slowly, because I am so sensitive. Even a little cut (0,01mg) put me in a awful state.

Hi Horrorbear,

I started off fast not knowing any better my symptoms the first few cuts weren't bad but when I hit .75 mg things started to get rough and still are at .495 mg.  I use liquid Lorazepam deluted with water.  I would suggest slowing down now.  Wishing the best.

Hi Horrorbear, I agree entirely with the others. 10% reduction per week would be a reasonable guide but be guided by your body. It doesn’t matter how slow you go. It might be good to record your symptoms so you can monitor how a cut affects you. I use a jewellers scale also…….from Amazon. I use a pill grinder, then weigh the powder out. If this is tricky with such small pills, let us know, there are ways around this.

Very best wishes.

Hi!

I’m currently taking Lorazepam .5 mg once daily at night and desperately need to split my doses. Not sure if if I should do 2, 3, or 4. How did you do your split? Did you go from 1 to 4? How would you recommend I do the split. Been holding at .5 for 3.5 weeks now. Going to ask my doc to submit a script for liquid.

-Abr

Hello ABR

Welcome to the Ativan support group.!

Personally I have not had to split up my dose.  I was already dosing 3x a day which seems to work for me.  There are others on here that I’m sure can help you.

I am dry cutting and not sure if I will go to liquid but again, I know there are others here that use liquid. I’m sure they will be happy to chime in.

:) 2cats

Welcome ABR

I am using a compounded liquid.  when I split my doses I did it gradually.

I went from 2 to 3 doses a day. I now dose  6am-2pm-10pm.  I moved mine slowly over time. A liquid made this easier.  I moved a little morning closer and closer to 2 and some of the 10 pm closer and closer to 2pm until they were even.  It took me a few weeks.

JuJuBi

Thanks! I was reading some of your posts and it seems like you’ve been symptomatic the whole way down? How do you know when you are stable enough to cut? Seems like there’s so many ups and downs (mostly downs), and I’m having a hard time understanding when I should make a cut (microtaper, dry, with scale). I don’t really ever feel fully “stable”. What is your criteria for making a cut?

I was taking Ativan only at night.  After I started to taper it became apparent I needed to split the dose.  I split to twice daily twelve hours apart.  This worked for me.  Later I tried going to three times daily but didn't like it so I went back to twice a day all the way down.  I made my own solution with vodka and water and used a syringe to measure  each dose.  Ginger