Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

ABR

I was very symptomatic in the beginning as I was going way too fast. Things have improved greatly. 

I do have periods of waves but my last clear run was 7 weeks in a window virtually symptom free! The waves seem milder and shorter and the windows are wider and longer as I get lower. 

For the last 3 days I am feeling pretty amazing.  I have baked, gone to a Christmas party, Took my grandson mall shopping and none of it forced or just making it but enjoying it all! I feel so much like old "normal" self. So much I could sing and dance.

Stability is so different for everyone and when to feel comfortable to make a cut.  My rule was always if I am having more good days then bad I would cut. Then is would take 2-4 days to feel it and 5-14 days to recover. Once I started the liquid things improved. I have to work and was getting weary. Then a friend suggested I try a low 3% month. This is when things really started to improve.  I had more and more hours then days of low to no symptoms. I worked up from there and found I can go comfortably below 6%.  I find my symptoms creep in above that. If symptoms creep into the real uncomfortable zone I back off and hold/slow.

It is going to take me a long time to get off this but for me this slow pace is paying off for now.  I can work and live life.  I am not afraid to plan things.  There have been times I have still had waves and struggles but nothing like early in my taper.

I stayed away from BB for a long time.  I needed that.  But now I realize it is important that I not only post when I need help of feel bad but improtant I post when things are going well too.

JuJuBi

Thank you for that JujuBi!

For those who switched to a liquid compound, what concentration was your prescription? I’m trying to switch and want to be as accurate as possible for a smooth transition. Any other details about the liquid compound would be greatly appreciated!

I am also tapering Lorazepam, but feel I ran against a wall and decide to hold for a while.

The taper was very tough, but with last cut it was to much and went to the former dose.

I am roughly half way down and feeling drained, depressive/lack of positive mind/motivation now and then, burnoud, anxious in the morning, physically unwel, terrible.

Are there people who have hold for a while, or lower their taper rate starting to feel better?

My life is so misserable, maybe also due Paroxetine taper which is done for at least 85% but is on hold since a long time now (9-10 months).

Also taking Clomipramine, but this doesn't seem to do much and have tapered this also down to 21 mg a long time agoo (6 months).

I am doing basically the same as JuJuBi as to when I cut.  Even though I never feel completely stable, if I am having more good days than bad overall, I will go ahead and cut.  Over the last year that has varied from 5 days to 1 month.

It helps to write down symptoms daily or every few days to see if you have a pattern of symptoms.  This can help you to know when might be a good time to cut. 

Also, sometimes instead of holding, I will make a smaller cut and see how that goes.  I think it’s a process learning how to listen to your body and brain and making the most reasonable decision you can.

For me I try not to confuse “stable” with “normal”.  I don’t think I will ever feel normal during this process and maybe not even soon after.  In fact, I think I will probably have to adjust to some kind of a new “normal” of sorts.

:) :)

Thank you for that JujuBi!

For those who switched to a liquid compound, what concentration was your prescription? I’m trying to switch and want to be as accurate as possible for a smooth transition. Any other details about the liquid compound would be greatly appreciated!

ABR my concentration is 2mg/ml.  I pull out 1 ml with a syringe mix it with 299 ml water.  This is enough for me for 4 days.  I draw out 14.8 ml at 6am 11 am 4 pm then 29.8 ml at 10 pm.

ABR

I was very symptomatic in the beginning as I was going way too fast. Things have improved greatly. 

I do have periods of waves but my last clear run was 7 weeks in a window virtually symptom free! The waves seem milder and shorter and the windows are wider and longer as I get lower. 

For the last 3 days I am feeling pretty amazing.  I have baked, gone to a Christmas party, Took my grandson mall shopping and none of it forced or just making it but enjoying it all! I feel so much like old "normal" self. So much I could sing and dance.

Stability is so different for everyone and when to feel comfortable to make a cut.  My rule was always if I am having more good days then bad I would cut. Then is would take 2-4 days to feel it and 5-14 days to recover. Once I started the liquid things improved. I have to work and was getting weary. Then a friend suggested I try a low 3% month. This is when things really started to improve.  I had more and more hours then days of low to no symptoms. I worked up from there and found I can go comfortably below 6%.  I find my symptoms creep in above that. If symptoms creep into the real uncomfortable zone I back off and hold/slow.

It is going to take me a long time to get off this but for me this slow pace is paying off for now.  I can work and live life.  I am not afraid to plan things.  There have been times I have still had waves and struggles but nothing like early in my taper.

I stayed away from BB for a long time.  I needed that.  But now I realize it is important that I not only post when I need help of feel bad but improtant I post when things are going well too.

JuJuBi

Hey JuJuBi

I’m glad you’re posting when you feel better too.  It’s helps us all to see there is a chance of some windows and that helps keep us going.  :smitten:

Hi everyone

Hope you all made it through the holiday break ok.  Now that we’re on the other side of the winter solstice, I can see spring somewhere in the distance  :)

I was wondering how many of you took something to help you sleep when you needed it.  I have a Rx for 25 mg hydroxyzine and always hesitated to take it but the last couple of weeks have been very rough. I have taken one for the last three nights.  They do help me sleep but the next day i am groggy.

I don’t really want to take it on a regular basis but it has helped.  I know it is an antihistamine. 

I actually did have a good window on the 23rd.  Was able to travel 1 1/2 hrs to my mother-in-law’s with no anxiety and very low pain but the next few days were pretty rough.  But is was the best day I’d had in weeks!

I went ahead and did my last regular cut.  We’ll see how the next few days are.  I’m off work all week. Yay!

What’s going on with you guys?

2cats

Hi 2cats,

I am so glad you had a good window and was able to travel...that is awesome!

I haven't ever taken hydroxyzine but I have read where others said it made them groggy the next day. 

I made it through Christmas it was hard plus the week before my husband had knee replacement surgery.  I've been dragging the past couple of days.  I had been holding my taper hoping it would help but I don't think it had so I'm back to my DLMT.  Good luck with your cut I hope it goes well for you.

How is your sciatica doing?

Hugs ❤

Hi 2cats,

I haven't ever taken hydroxyzine but I have read where others said it made them groggy the next day. 

I made it through Christmas it was hard plus the week before my husband had knee replacement surgery.  I've been dragging the past couple of days.  I had been holding my taper hoping it would help but I don't think it had so I'm back to my DLMT.  Good luck with your cut I hope it goes well for you.

Hugs ❤

I think it’s taken a turn for the good.  The chiro I’ve been seeing is definitely helping although it’s subtle , there has definitely been a shift. I’m hoping between that and the medical massage it will become a lot more bearable.  There has been some improvement for sure.  Thanks for asking

I’m sorry you’ve had a rough few days.  I hope your husband has a good recovery from his surgery.

My friend had both knees replaced last year and she can’t believe how much better she feels.  No pain anymore!

Yes sometimes I also cut even if I don’t feel “stable “(whatever that means).  I’m just doing a reasonable amount and keep going although I have held a cut for a longer time if I felt really bad.. looking forward to when I’m done!…. As we all are  :)

2cats

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

Does anyone know what is going on with Actavis (watson) generic? I was doing really well on it, and was told that it is bought by Teva, and the pill looks completely different. It is also not scored, and given the fact that I have to cut it in at least 4 equal parts, it will now be extremely difficult.

I am now freaking out, remembering that at some point I had to try a different manufacturer (Major) and worked very poorly for me. Should I call Teva??

Also, please tell me if you have successfully switched from one manufacturer to another.

Any insight would be really appreciated.

Sending love and healing to everyone ❤️

Hi 2cats, my Psychiatrist gave me 2 months supply of Melatonin (only available on prescription here in UK) and it REALLY helped me when the insomnia was at its worst. I have got a better sleep pattern now so have stopped it but have kept one pill back for emergencies. I used to take 1mg per night so I wasn’t too bothered about getting dependent on it using that low dose. I had no trouble stopping it. I have never tried Hydroxyzine.

So pleased you had some good times over Christmas, they give us hope.

Next Sunday, I will make a cut to 0.3mg. Like you I am going to cut whatever, it doesn’t seem to affect how I feel now.

Healing hugs and prayers to all.

Hello Laila

Welcome to our Ativan group. Glad you are here.

I have switched manufacturers with no issues that I am aware of. Some of us are more sensitive to that than others. 

I have been taking a compounded liquid form for most of my taper so I am not much help when it comes to cutting pills.

2cats - glad to hear of any upturn. Even slight move to the positive are good in all this. An I love your reminder of the days getting longer and Spring in the near future.

Hardy - you are making your way. Getting down there.  For me when I got under .3 I noticed some good changes. Less GI issues and more open wide longer windows. I hope the same for you.

Dianedeedee- I hope your husband's surgery was a success.  Glad you got through the Holiday. I hope things are going well for you.

And glad to see we all survived the holidays. I was able to bake, cook, clean and decorate.  It felt good to be able to do all that.  I had my two grandsons here for 3 days over New Years.  One is 2. I did well with it but by the end of the 3 days my CNS was pushed to the limit.  As soon as they were out the door I had a good cry and was in bed the next day wiped out.

Friday will be a landmark in my taper.  I will be at .198  under the .2!!!!  This is such a slow journey but it feels good to know that we do get there. I will have taken me 625 days of tapering to get under .2.  It seems so close to the end but yet still so far.  I am ok with it feeling as good as I do.  I just take it everyday like brushing my teeth.  Trying to not make it a big event but just something I have to do everyday.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year. 

Hugs

JuJuBi

Hi 2cats,

Hugs ❤

I think it’s taken a turn for the good.  The chiro I’ve been seeing is definitely helping although it’s subtle , there has definitely been a shift. I’m hoping between that and the medical massage it will become a lot more bearable.  There has been some improvement for sure.  Thanks for asking

I’m sorry you’ve had a rough few days.  I hope your husband has a good recovery from his surgery.

My friend had both knees replaced last year and she can’t believe how much better she feels.  No pain anymore!

Yes sometimes I also cut even if I don’t feel “stable “(whatever that means).  I’m just doing a reasonable amount and keep going although I have held a cut for a longer time if I felt really bad.. looking forward to when I’m done!…. As we all are  :)

2cats

Hi 2cats,

I am so glad the chiropractor and massage are helping you that is awesome.

My husband had a rough several days but is showing a lot of improvement now.

I hope your taper will continue to go well.

Hugs❤ and prayers

Hello:

Does anyone know what is going on with Actavis (watson) generic? I was doing really well on it, and was told that it is bought by Teva, and the pill looks completely different. It is also not scored, and given the fact that I have to cut it in at least 4 equal parts, it will now be extremely difficult.

I am now freaking out, remembering that at some point I had to try a different manufacturer (Major) and worked very poorly for me. Should I call Teva??

Also, please tell me if you have successfully switched from one manufacturer to another.

Any insight would be really appreciated.

Sending love and healing to everyone ❤️

[/quote

Hi Laila,

Welcome!

I use liquid ativan so I don't know much about the dry and switching switching brands.  I do know that it does affect some people who are sensitive to meds.  It might be a good idea to call Teva maybe they could tell you the difference in fillers. 

Wishing you the best.  I know how horrible tapering ativan is.

Hugs❤ and prayers

Hi 2cats, my Psychiatrist gave me 2 months supply of Melatonin (only available on prescription here in UK) and it REALLY helped me when the insomnia was at its worst. I have got a better sleep pattern now so have stopped it but have kept one pill back for emergencies. I used to take 1mg per night so I wasn’t too bothered about getting dependent on it using that low dose. I had no trouble stopping it. I have never tried Hydroxyzine.

So pleased you had some good times over Christmas, they give us hope.

Next Sunday, I will make a cut to 0.3mg. Like you I am going to cut whatever, it doesn’t seem to affect how I feel now.

Healing hugs and prayers to all.

Hi Hardy,

So proud for you that your next cut will be .3 mg.  I keep hoping to feel better so I can continue to taper but maybe I just need to do it anyway.  Who knows it's all a guessing  game.

You will soon have your new life!

Hugs❤ and prayers

Hello Laila

Welcome to our Ativan group. Glad you are here.

I have switched manufacturers with no issues that I am aware of. Some of us are more sensitive to that than others. 

I have been taking a compounded liquid form for most of my taper so I am not much help when it comes to cutting pills.

2cats - glad to hear of any upturn. Even slight move to the positive are good in all this. An I love your reminder of the days getting longer and Spring in the near future.

Hardy - you are making your way. Getting down there.  For me when I got under .3 I noticed some good changes. Less GI issues and more open wide longer windows. I hope the same for you.

Dianedeedee- I hope your husband's surgery was a success.  Glad you got through the Holiday. I hope things are going well for you.

And glad to see we all survived the holidays. I was able to bake, cook, clean and decorate.  It felt good to be able to do all that.  I had my two grandsons here for 3 days over New Years.  One is 2. I did well with it but by the end of the 3 days my CNS was pushed to the limit.  As soon as they were out the door I had a good cry and was in bed the next day wiped out.

Friday will be a landmark in my taper.  I will be at .198  under the .2!!!!  This is such a slow journey but it feels good to know that we do get there. I will have taken me 625 days of tapering to get under .2.  It seems so close to the end but yet still so far.  I am ok with it feeling as good as I do.  I just take it everyday like brushing my teeth.  Trying to not make it a big event but just something I have to do everyday.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year. 

Hugs

JuJuBi

Hey JuJuBi,

So glad to see that you are doing so well.  You really are so close to the end and I know feeling good helps you to keep tapering.  That's wonderful you were able to do everything you did during the holidays.  I know spending time with those grandsons was awesome.

My husband's surgery went the recovery has been rough but he is improving now.  I'm struggling a lot held through his surgery and Christmas tried to get back to tapering but feeling awful.  Praying it gets better soon.

Sending you hugs and prayers ❤

Laila

Welcome!  I have never had to change manufacturers but when I read your post, I went and checked my last refill.  I have always taken lorazapam from Watson like you.  The newest refill is Williams....I guess I will see what happens. 

Hardy

I'm glad the melatonin works for you.  I have take melatonin for years even before Ativan taper.  I'll consider reducing after this benzo taper. I also take L-theanine and magnesium at night.  It seems to work for me.  I usually get somewhat decent sleep (5-6 hrs) but occasionally I get so revved up that I need something else. Last night I took a hydroxyzine and today I have the worst "hangover" ever!  Never had it this bad!  Bleh! 

JJB

Glad you had a decent holiday.  Yes I can tell when I am over stimulated and get knocked back for a couple of days.  Congrats on your milestone! Getting ever so close!

Hope everyone has a calm day!

Does anyone know If there is a shortage of Lorazepam tablet, Teva/Actavis/Watson , 0.5 mg, NDC 00591-0240-01 ?

This is a scored tablet, the new Teva one (different NDC) that they are now offering is not scored (((

Does anyone know If there is a shortage of Lorazepam tablet, Teva/Actavis/Watson , 0.5 mg, NDC 00591-0240-01 ?

This is a scored tablet, the new Teva one (different NDC) that they are now offering is not scored (((

I only show Lorazepam injection listed as being in trouble on an FDA website, not sure about the rest of the world.

The ASHP drug shortages database shows the following:

Lorazepam tablet, Teva, 0.5 mg, bottle, 100 count, NDC 00591-0240-01

Lorazepam tablet, Teva, 0.5 mg, bottle, 1000 count, NDC 00093-3425-10

Lorazepam tablet, Teva, 1 mg, bottle, 100 count, NDC 00591-0241-01

Source:

Current Drug Shortages - ASHP

https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages/

The ASHP drug shortages database shows the following:

Lorazepam tablet, Teva, 0.5 mg, bottle, 100 count, NDC 00591-0240-01

Lorazepam tablet, Teva, 0.5 mg, bottle, 1000 count, NDC 00093-3425-10

Lorazepam tablet, Teva, 1 mg, bottle, 100 count, NDC 00591-0241-01

Source:

Current Drug Shortages - ASHP

https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages/

Thanks Libertas, I knew we'd heard from you on this subject so I'm grateful you weighed in.

Hi 2cats,

How are you doing with your taper.  I saw were you recently made a cut I hope its going well.  Is your sciatica still improving?

I'm having a lot of anxiety today lots of anxiety.  Was blessed with a little window last night.

Sending hugs❤

Hi DianeDD

It’s been a rough couple of weeks since my last cut.  I’m actually in my third week .  I’ve been cutting every two weeks but felt like I had to hold another week.  I haven’t been “stabilizing” in between cuts even though I’ve stretched them out so I will cut again this weekend. 

I’m really hoping I’m done tapering by the end of this year.  That would make it a two year taper from 1.25 mg.  Seems so long !

Like many, it’s getting tougher the lower I get. Makes me a little nervous for how I might feel when I walk off.  Oh well, one day at a time.  Tomorrow will have its own problems, right?

Thanks so much for asking.

I’m so sorry you’re having so much anxiety.  I can never predict when I’ll get hit with overwhelming anxiety. Can you?  One minute I’ll be fine and the next I will be freaking out!

I hope it levels out for you and so glad you had a bit of a window.  Those little moments keep us plugging along. 

Have a good evening. :smitten: