Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Discussion: Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

[dr...]

Okay, folks, one holiday down and one to go!

How was everyone’s Thanksgiving?  Mine was a madhouse.  Prepped all week, then the big day, all with Dude underfoot running through the house like he hit the jackpot with the best family ever!  He’s cray cray! 

Anybody have any stories?  I know it was probably challenging for some of you.  Please share the ups and downs with all of us here. 

We want things to be different than they are right now, but you’ll never have another Thanksgiving as difficult as this one because everybody keeps healing.

I’m pulling out all my Christmas decorations from the garage.  It takes me a month to create my Winter Wonderland so I’ve got to get cracking.  I’ve got to get my tree, trim it with bulbs and twinkle lights.  Stockings to stuff with gag gifts.  A hundred presents to wrap. Little and big things to open—but that’s what Christmas is all about for us.

Then I’ll collapse on December 26.

What’s everyone else doing?  You may not be Santa or Mrs. Claus this year, but an elf will do.  Trade that lump of coal feeling for a piece of chocolate.  Remember that our minds can overcome this shit.  We may not be 100%, but dammit these pills will not rob us of one more day than they already have.  We may have to slog through muck, but we will tangle ourselves up in holiday cheer if it kills us. 

Enough already!

Sofa

Okay, folks, one holiday down and one to go!

How was everyone’s Thanksgiving?  Mine was a madhouse.  Prepped all week, then the big day, all with Dude underfoot running through the house like he hit the jackpot with the best family ever!  He’s cray cray! 

Anybody have any stories?  I know it was probably challenging for some of you.  Please share the ups and downs with all of us here. 

We want things to be different than they are right now, but you’ll never have another Thanksgiving as difficult as this one because everybody keeps healing.

I’m pulling out all my Christmas decorations from the garage.  It takes me a month to create my Winter Wonderland so I’ve got to get cracking.  I’ve got to get my tree, trim it with bulbs and twinkle lights.  Stockings to stuff with gag gifts.  A hundred presents to wrap. Little and big things to open—but that’s what Christmas is all about for us.

Then I’ll collapse on December 26.

What’s everyone else doing?  You may not be Santa or Mrs. Claus this year, but an elf will do.  Trade that lump of coal feeling for a piece of chocolate.  Remember that our minds can overcome this shit.  We may not be 100%, but dammit these pills will not rob us of one more day than they already have.  We may have to slog through muck, but we will tangle ourselves up in holiday cheer if it kills us. 

Enough already!

Sofa

He's a new pet Sofa?    :D :D

Hi Mary,

Yes, that’s how I am dealing with my grief over losing Opie.  The hole in my heart was too much to bear.  So I got another soulmate to love.  He’s not Opie.  Nobody can fill those paws—but Dude is his own brand of precious too. 

We are a new love story.

Sofa

:smitten:Dude!!!  :smitten:

Oh man, Sofa, I'm so happy for you! They all have their own unique magic, don't they? What breed is he?

He's not Opie, no. But I believe Opie helped pick him, and he's grinning happily.  ;D

(Remember what I told you happened to me? Well, I'm on the waiting list for a special little bundle now....)

Wishing you and Dude many adventures together and a true happily-ever-after.

Wildflower

Hi Wildflower,

Dude is a pug like Opie.  He’s my new avatar.  I am taking so many pics I will keep changing my avatar.  I don’t know how to insert pics (low tech here).

I remember what you said about losing all your cats, sweetie.  I don’t know how you survived multiple heartbreaks like that.  Just shows how strong you are.

When your new fur baby arrives, your grief will melt away.  This morning I cried for Opie, so Dude is not a panacea, but he is a soothing balm.

I’ve got a new symptom to deal with, ulcer-like pain.  I expected it.  It doesn’t feel like withdrawal.  It feels like stress.  I understand it and accept it (but ouch!).

I love you all.  Here come my tears.  I am so grateful for this pool of compassion. 

Sofa

Hi Mary,

Yes, that’s how I am dealing with my grief over losing Opie.  The hole in my heart was too much to bear.  So I got another soulmate to love.  He’s not Opie.  Nobody can fill those paws—but Dude is his own brand of precious too. 

We are a new love story.

Sofa

I so agree with getting another pet to love and be loved.  I have always thought that my pet that passed away would want me to so save another dog.  And I can't wait to hear alittle of this love story between you and Dude.  And you are right, they all have different personalities.  :smitten: :smitten:

My journey has been really weird. I feel like I never really had a phase 1 or 2 or if I did, they were just extremely brief. When I was in acute, it felt more like an extra horrible phase 3 where the symptoms were super intense when I woke up in the morning and would burn off throughout the day and I was sensitive to absolutely everything. If I had to draw a timeline for this whole thing, it would be more like I started in phase 3 when I c/t'd, and phase 3 has lasted for about 2 years now for me. I think I'm finally in phase 4 now, but phase 3 lasted the longest by far. It felt like it was never going to end.

Hi everyone,

No matter where you are in this process, you will keep moving forward.  I know sometimes it feels like you are stuck in a holding pattern, but you aren’t.  Your body takes breaks now and then and recharges, but even in the “cooling down” periods, it is still turbocharged in healing mode. 

That’s why you can be confident that this will wrap up and you will be completely recovered one day.  You will have no remnants left, no bothersome symptoms when you go through life’s stressors.  In my latest uptick, after losing my little 17 year old Opie, I have had some crummy symptoms come back.  I tell Opie, “You have your own uptick, my little man.  That’s the least I can do to show you how much I still love you.”  So, I am bearing the brunt of the stress of losing my best friend.  But you know what?  The symptoms are resolving faster this time.  My body is letting me know it’s going to finish this off.

No matter what life throws at you, your body will carry you through.  Nothing lasts forever.  What visits you today will leave tomorrow or very soon.  If your body could whisper in your ear, it would probably say, “Please have faith in me.  There are no pills on this earth that are stronger than I am.  I will fix you.  Be patient.  I’ve got this.”

So we wait.  Then wait a little longer.  And we keep the faith.

Sofa

That is such good advice Sofa and your story has been, and still is, the inspiration for my recovery plans and actions. And for my recovery! Thank-you.

G

Sofa, I have 5 dogs over the Rainbow Bridge, I just told them to go find Opie and make sure he is happy.  Just picturing them all together makes me smile, they all so different in shapes and sizes 🌈🌈🌈🌈 :smitten: :smitten:

Love you, G and Mary.  All the support and kind words never go to waste.  You say it once and my head repeats it a hundred times.  The Beach Boys had Good Vibrations.  We have Good Ruminations.  Ha.  Keep them coming. 

Sofa

Sofa , I can imagine that my faithful welsh corgi Megan is running around with Opie , and Sang my beloved siamese kitty is watching them with his usual snooty attitude . Wonderful to think that they are waiting for us in the Gan Eden , a place where there is no pain , just peace and joy.

Rabbit,

I love to think Opie is running around happily with all my friends’ precious animals.  His poor little earth suit finally gave out, but it served him well for 17 years.  God, Rabbit, I still do miss him though.

I gave it my all in his last days, holding him in my arms as he seized.  Oh how I wanted him to stay with me.  But I just couldn’t let him suffer.  Not my little man.  Not while I have one breath in me.

Tears falling still...I will be okay, Opie.

Sofa

I has to put my beloved golden Ranger down exactly 10 years ago this week. It was so sad as he was prancing at the vets as he loved his visits there. But his kidneys had failed. Not a day goes by when I don’t think of him. Honestly I must admit I love my animals more than people...

I has to put my beloved golden Ranger down exactly 10 years ago this week. It was so sad as he was prancing at the vets as he loved his visits there. But his kidneys had failed. Not a day goes by when I don’t think of him. Honestly I must admit I love my animals more than people...

Me too, I have a picture of each on my phone, my IPod, my IPad, one is a screen saver on all my tech stuff.  I smile every time I open something.  They were all wonderful.    Have happy thoughts of him today, he would want that  :).  Half A$$ 🐱