Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Discussion: Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

[dr...]

Congrats sofa!!!  Woot woot!  Glad you are believing and seeing the magic happening.  You've been such a positive force on this thread and many times your words have been so inspiring.  :smitten:

HUGS!!!

Welchie,

Your humor has been my funny bone lately.  It’s so great when we can laugh again.  I wish I had “discovered” you earlier, but my CNS wouldn’t let me giggle.  Now I can and, like a moth to a flame, I found you.

If anyone on here wants to snortle and chortle a bit, I suggest you read Welchie’s blog in Off Topic called “Under the Rug.”  It’s locked now, so you can’t reply, but you can read the posts from the funniest women on this forum.  They take the misery of diarrhea and say pffft! let’s slap on the Depends.  This withdrawal shit will not rob them of one more minute of their lives. 

It’s really hard—this attitude thing.  Trying to reformat your brain from soaking in the reality of a horrible situation and saying fuck it.  I found it nearly impossible.  Maybe if enough of us huddle in a circle, a little lint of positivity hanging off our bathrobes will rub off on the next person. 

The little victories we beg for...they all add up.  Then you find yourself five years down the road someday, still standing, but surrounded by a bunch of friends you didn’t have before, who walked this journey through hell with you.  And you smile.  Nothing can take this feeling away from you—the grin plastered on your faces because you now know what friendship is.

Here’s to the little moments we share that are VERY BIG DEALS.  Here’s to friendship!

Sofa

“Withdrawal is like hitting your funny bone.  It hurts like hell, but you can’t help but laugh too.” —Forest Gump

Now gimme that box of chocolates.

Sofa

Welchie,

Your humor has been my funny bone lately.  It’s so great when we can laugh again.  I wish I had “discovered” you earlier, but my CNS wouldn’t let me giggle.  Now I can and, like a moth to a flame, I found you.

If anyone on here wants to snortle and chortle a bit, I suggest you read Welchie’s blog in Off Topic called “Under the Rug.”  It’s locked now, so you can’t reply, but you can read the posts from the funniest women on this forum.  They take the misery of diarrhea and say pffft! let’s slap on the Depends.  This withdrawal shit will not rob them of one more minute of their lives. 

It’s really hard—this attitude thing.  Trying to reformat your brain from soaking in the reality of a horrible situation and saying fuck it.  I found it nearly impossible.  Maybe if enough of us huddle in a circle, a little lint of positivity hanging off our bathrobes will rub off on the next person. 

The little victories we beg for...they all add up.  Then you find yourself five years down the road someday, still standing, but surrounded by a bunch of friends you didn’t have before, who walked this journey through hell with you.  And you smile.  Nothing can take this feeling away from you—the grin plastered on your faces because you now know what friendship is.

Here’s to the little moments we share that are VERY BIG DEALS.  Here’s to friendship!

Sofa

Right on Sofa ✔️🤘👍

Thanks sofa...for everything!  Everything you give others now and you have given over the years while struggling yourself.  You're a rare gem  :smitten:

And yeah...don't forget to laugh, when you can.  Should be on a doctor's prescription pad.  It was the best I could give others, and myself, while going through hell on my knees.  And lots of hugs.  Those are good too, even through cyberspace.

Love Ya!!!

Welchie,

You’ve tickled my funny bone many times.  You give your heart to many people too.  What’s funny about love, is the more you give the more you get.  There’s no brim to the jug of love.  It perpetually overflows and replenishes with more love than your heart could ever contain.

From my heart to yours,

Sofa

G,

You have been such a dear friend to me.  I get so much strength from you and the love you show me.  You are handling this process with such grace, even though you don’t feel well some days.  You are always thinking of ways to light the way for others while you grope in your own dimly lit cave sometimes.

What we walk away with, after this journey, is an awareness that the best of human nature is alive and well in many people.  We have first hand knowledge of being touched by selflessness and compassion that exists in this world that sometimes seems so very cold. 

You have soothed me many times, G and Benzogirl.  Your strength becomes my strength.  All the people on this thread have lifted me up so many times in my darkest moments and wiped my tears.  We limp along holding each other up.  Dear God, how amazing this all is.

I am so close to the end of this, I can touch the door.  I got here because I surrounded myself with the people on the Four Phases thread who carried me when I could not walk.  I thank you all from the very bottom of my heart and depths of my soul.  I made it because of all of you.

The Four Phases is real.  It is my journey.  It is your journey.  As Graham always points out, the lines between phases are a bit blurred when you look too closely, but as you pull yourselves up higher, the topography is clearer.  You progress every day, even though you can’t feel it.  You heal every day, even though you see no obvious improvements sometimes.  Healing from this is a testament to our bodies’ innate power to correct what’s wrong and provide us with peace on earth, until we touch down in heaven again. 

The holidays are coming up and they can be tough for many going through this.  I will be here for all of you and you will be here for each other.

Look in the mirror and tell yourself out loud: BELIEVE.

I used to hope.  Now I BELIEVE.

Sofa

Wow just read this and it brought tears to my eyes ! What a wonderful post , what an inspiration!

Thank you so much , I read your threads all the time and you have really helped me and probably hundreds of other bb .

PO

PO,

Those were very kind words.  Thank you.  I say whatever is in my heart.  The replies I get from others are from their hearts to mine.  As long as we keep communicating like this, we will never be misunderstood.  We will give love, and get it back ten-fold.

Like I’ve said many times before, this thread is the safest nook on the forum, full of the dearest people.

Thank you all for returning here.

Sofa

I come because of you Sofa. I come because I care for you and for all those suffering. I come because I grow with each passing day. I come because I need help and always find the help that I need in these pages.

G

G,

Thank you.  That’s why you are going to sail through this without a scratch.  You’ll get a bruise or two along the way.  Those disappear in time.

Love you,

Sofa

I've saved a copy of the Four Phases of Withdrawal and shared it with family. Along with the Ashton manual, this is one of the most useful and positive documents I've found. When I am feeling hopeless, I read this and realize it just takes time.

I like the idea of just getting on with it.  My taper should end in Jan 2020 and I look forward to a drug free life.

Thank you for writing this.

Messedup,

Thank you so much.  You are very kind.  This process has a pattern that is unique to each of us.  It also has a happy ending for ALL of us.

Sofa

Our dear Sofa needs your love and support right now.  Her little "pug", her sweet little Opie became so very ill and today our dear Sofa had to put her little guy to sleep. 

Please... give her your love and support, as she has so much done on this thread, as well as other threads for so many.  I know you'll be there for her...   

Thank you... Pattylu

Sofa . I love you and I am so very sorry . You will be in my thoughts and prayers each and every day .

You are a shining star in our troubled little benzo world . So many of us have gathered strength and courage from your strength and courage . In this dark time know that your loving friends are there for you . Hugs  :smitten: