Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Discussion: Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

[dr...]

[ef...]

Does anyone else feel like phase 3 in particular lasts forever? Out of all the phases so far, I swear phase 3 has been going on for over a year for me now. Every time I think I'm about to be in phase 4, I get a sensitivity-based stress wave hitting me out of nowhere. I know this will end, but sometimes it sure feels like this will be permanent. I'm getting to a point in my life where I feel like I'm managing a chronic illness.

I think we go from stage 3 to healed.

I am at 9 weeks of today and think I am very much in stage one.

I really had some odd idea after my long slow taper I would not be here in stage one for long or it would be very mild, but no

Here I am stage one for now till it changes.

No windows for me so far.  Symptoms getting more intense. 

When I see something improve I will be so glad, because I will know then for sure that I am healing, but very early days at week 9 off 

Jen

Thanks.  I feel like I’ve been stuck somewhere between Phase 2 or 3 the entire time.  Outside of a couple moments, my acute phase wasn’t 24/7 torment.  Medication probably helped curb that some.  Just been stuck for 10 months.  No clear windows.  Just a wave and worse waves.

Thanks.  I feel like I’ve been stuck somewhere between Phase 2 or 3 the entire time.  Outside of a couple moments, my acute phase wasn’t 24/7 torment.  Medication probably helped curb that some.  Just been stuck for 10 months.  No clear windows.  Just a wave and worse waves.

Don’t give up. We are all different in our recovery length and symptoms but given the length of your usage you have got to expect it to take a while before you are feeling great again. Of course, that doesn’t make it any easier to withstand.

Keep a healthy lifestyle and just trust that every day brings you a day closer to being well again. Because of waves and windows (or lower waves) it may feel as if you are going backwards sometimes. You are not!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still in two. There is no rhyme or reason to my waves and windows. I'm still waiting for a good day to come along, if not one day its stomach cramps, and follow up the next day with unsteadiness and head aches, gastric problems, and the worst of all no sleep, I go to bead at night at about 7:00PM wake up at 9:30 sometime 10:30 and up for the rest of the night. I sure hope this gets better, saw my doctor last week for a nodular stress test , all was good no restrictions, both Heart doctor and primary doctor cant believe I am still in withdrawals from Xanax . OH well I guess its because he prescribed it to me. Any help on what I could take for sleep and anxiety

Thanks Bob   

I think I am in phase 2, maybe not too far from phase 3. Can't wait to be in phase 4 but I know I've got to be patient.

• 1 month later...
Stage Three. Im really glad a benzo buddy pointed this out when responding to a post. Recently I took some amino acids for workingout and I got depressed it happened again when I took a sleep aid that had melotonin and an amino acid. Sometimes I feel depressed after s tough worout too. I guess my brain is super sentive and balancing out. Thanks fir posting this info!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing a slow direct taper off Lorazepam since 12/2018 and am scheduled to jump off in another two months.

I'm interested in this statement:

PHASE ONE

This is what we commonly refer to as the Acute Phase, which commences once you jump off the medication.  If you tapered and went through tolerance withdrawal, this phase is likely to be a smoother transition than a cold turkey or rapid withdrawal.

I was hoping that my final reduction to 0 would feel the same as all of my other recent reductions. I have difficult WD symptoms the following week, and then start feeling like I'm ok, and often better than I have ever felt while on the medication (beginning in 2006). Do I need to prepare for something more difficult after jumping off?

Bibsjo,

Good question. My recollection is that Ashton says that if you have tapered well then there may not be any significant reaction to your final dose and it sounds like you have tapered well and that you have the symptoms under control. On that basis you do not need to prepare for anything more difficult. Keep doing what you are doing and with a positive mental attitude. If you hit a problem then come back and ask but there is no reason to think that you won’t just continue to sail through.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the good summaries!  I'm definitely in phase 3... doing better for longer stretches... but get totally swamped by MSG, sugar, preservatives, etc.  Its like my brain is oatmeal drowning in molasses!  Wierd visual but a good description!

Thank you for this summary!  It's helpful to see where I am on the recovery.  I have just entered phase 4.  I am 22 months off Xanax and 24 days off Remeron.  Still have my symptoms of burning mouth and spasms of the esophagus/larynx, not as severe though, but debilitating symptoms have been gone for several months now. 

I figure that I am in phase two as it is early in my process and different symptoms comes and goes and new one appears at an almost daily basis. But I already recognize some triggers and try to fend off them. I can't live my life as I am used to and I think it will stay this way for a long time.

2 or 3, hard to say.  I don't experience 'windows' as I have heard them described, moreso just a slight lessening of SX as the day goes on and then back to high SX again in the morning.

Hmmm...

Cheers,

RR

I am  5 months and one week off valium after slow taper,

I would say that I am now probably just moving into phase 2, as I can identify my core symptoms, 

I have some new ones coming and going, and old ones revisiting briefly, 

No windows as yet, but a lessening of the terror and waves of fear, some evenings, not always 

Still very much in evidence from 5am every morning, till 7pm, approx.

I do hope I will feel some progression soon,  but then this is not a linear thing, and only after reading the phases do I realise I am now in phase 2, instead of the acute phase.

Jen

That is progress Jen, and good news.  I know you've really been suffering through this. 

Cheers,

RR

I am  5 months and one week off valium after slow taper,

I would say that I am now probably just moving into phase 2, as I can identify my core symptoms, 

I have some new ones coming and going, and old ones revisiting briefly, 

No windows as yet, but a lessening of the terror and waves of fear, some evenings, not always 

Still very much in evidence from 5am every morning, till 7pm, approx.

I do hope I will feel some progression soon,  but then this is not a linear thing, and only after reading the phases do I realise I am now in phase 2, instead of the acute phase.

Jen

Jen,

The four phases are easy to confuse and blur. You don’t just leave one phase and move into another: you reduce the symptoms and behaviours from one and increase them from the next one. Eventually you might leave one behind totally. Also, don’t be disheartened if you feel you have slipped back at any time. This will just be the elastic pulling you back for a short while.

Best, G

• 3 months later...

I'm really pleased to see that this useful thread has been bumped again . Sofa did an excellent job in increasing awareness about the different phases. Although the recovery process is non-linear and at times can seem like a crazy roller coaster ride ,there is a pattern. It has taken me almost four long years to get to phase four but finally I'm here and it's wonderful . 

I'm really pleased to see that this useful thread has been bumped again . Sofa did an excellent job in increasing awareness about the different phases. Although the recovery process is non-linear and at times can seem like a crazy roller coaster ride ,there is a pattern. It has taken me almost four long years to get to phase four but finally I'm here and it's wonderful .

Im still so shocked how accurate this has been for my journey, not perfect but at least you have an idea whats going to happen

Like I remember stumbling onto this in the worst period of the acute months and feeling like .....finally, someone who can tell me whats happening to me