Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

So sad. I've been reading some of the introductions of people joining and its heartbreaking how they are suffering and some on such high doses. This is Life with Lisa Ling is actually one of my favorite shows but its not the type of show where they will do double episodes. They kind of hit on a topic once and thats it. I wish there was a way to get this covered further and all these people coming forward now.

There is a documentary in post production now:

https://www.asprescribedfilm.com/

Let's hope that is very thorough.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

The new registrants usually about 5-6 a day.  The count I last saw today was over 100.

I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of people who need support and information. It's great that they found their way here thanks to the Lisa Ling program.

Personally, I'm trying to keep up with all the links, info and action around here. Lots!

Yes, but what I haven't seen, is any other coverage. Has anyone been watching CNN to see if any of them comment on this at all? Or is it still just Ukraine and vaping all day long?

Oprah,  Dr.Oz,  Dr (turd face) Phil,  whats that whoopie goldberg show in the mornings?, Joe Rogan, and more all need to cover and do folow ups to the show, cause they have big audiences into these types of topics

I just saw this. How nice of an Australian man to go further than a doctor with help. Especially after Lisa mentioned how so many doctors were negligent. It warmed my heart that a random person would help another, not asking for money... just interested in helping. The world needs more of that.

This episode with Lisa Ling on benzos was excellent....I feel that it didn't miss a beat. Even where it "failed" it was still a true and necessary beat in this sad story of benzos today.

The personal accounts were difficult to listen to. Those who took part in this film...I want to personally say thank you so much!!

I feel so much for the parents of Jonathan, he suffered so much, and it is difficult to accept this even happened to their son.

It was PREVENTABLE. If only the doctors who had been seeing him during the window of opportunity had taken the proper action to taper Jonathan off these drugs humanely, Jonathan might have made it through. It needs to stop...doctors need to wake up to this problem that has been happening way too long....and to too many people.

Thank you to anyone having a part in this episode...especially to Lisa Ling and her father. I'm happy to see he is doing well. :)

I wish benzo recoverers would be encouraged to come to this forum and post their success stories so that we'd would have more hope

I just saw this. How nice of an Australian man to go further than a doctor with help. Especially after Lisa mentioned how so many doctors were negligent. It warmed my heart that a random person would help another, not asking for money... just interested in helping. The world needs more of that.

:thumbsup:

At least several of my loved ones did watch.  :thumbsup:  I've spent a couple of hours today on the phone.  I'm glad that the dialogue is open, but ongoing?  We'll see & 1 of the callers, before we parted said "So, is everything okay?"  Maybe, fearing my possible imminent suicide?  As I'd been concerned that would end up being the take-away from it, for any of the general public, who did view the program.  I, myself, have not experienced suicidal ideation, thankfully. Or, just still clueless, as I imagine most w/out much or any prior knowledge, would be who watched this program.  -  All in my review on page 18 of this thread. - I just answered as okay as it gets.  So tired of trying to explain it.  Show did nothing, from what I've learned today from feedback received, w/regard to enlightening the masses.  Krissy's Q&A on youtube contains the most vital information & that didn't air.

Anyway, I composed an e-mail w/same content as my earlier post to send to them w/Krissy Q&A youtube link included, b/c I am tired, at least today, of discussing the show, which was a let-down to me.  Of the 3 I've spoken with, 2 mentioned "like the opioid crisis" & another used the word addiction, which I corrected.  2 fell asleep 15-20 minutes into show. - They've said they may view the rest through OnDemand cable feature.  So long as it's part of your cable package, it's free.  -  Proof what I'd said immediately that the first example of man who was polydrugged & committed suicide shouldn't have lasted 20 minutes in a 1 hour show, when there's enough for a 3-part documentary.  For any who fell asleep 15-20 minutes in, that's all they saw.  ::):(  I have been absent from life for 2 years already.  This program didn't focus nearly enough on w/d symptoms of being completely debilitated & the fact that they are often ongoing, post-withdrawal for months/sometimes years afterwards.

... Show did nothing, from what I've learned today, w/regard to enlightening the masses. 

...  2 fell asleep 15-20 minutes into show.... For any who fell asleep 15-20 minutes in, that's all they saw.  ::):(

:-\

... Show did nothing, from what I've learned today, w/regard to enlightening the masses. 

...  2 fell asleep 15-20 minutes into show.... For any who fell asleep 15-20 minutes in, that's all they saw.  ::):(

Wow... I don't know how anyone could fall asleep during that...

Wow... I don't know how anyone could fall asleep during that...

I'm pragmatic:  People, in general, are self-absorbed & oftentimes, overwhelmed just w/living their own lives, stressed out themselves.  If it's not affecting you directly it's not going to have as much impact.  These folks are busy living their lives; they're not physically &/or mentally suffering & derailed/absent from their lives, so they get tired & have to up early for work on Monday.  I was just pleased they tuned into it at all & appreciate & love them even more for doing so, especially as I know they're typically in bed by 10 PM.  I very much doubt my loved ones were the only ones who may have fallen asleep.  Of course, you're entitled to your own opinion.  Just remember, your opinion is from one who's living this reality.  Try to distance yourself to really view it as someone who isn't.  That's who we'd, or at least I, hoped this show would reach.  We know what it is.  It is a common & shared theme on the BB Community that it's nearly impossible to convey to others what our present situation is & feel they understand it.  Many have loved ones denying that it's caused by a benzo &/or benzo w/d, as too many doctors also do.  This show didn't help further educate on that....imo.  All in my review, pg. 18.  I merely conveyed what I'd received as feedback from some who are not living this experience firsthand. 

I'd like to know where the chorus of voices are from those who have healed? It's like there is our world, and there is the other world, and only the very few bridge those worlds. For me, one of the most inexplicable aspects of this is that there seems to be no one in the world, with a platform or name recognition, who will speak about this. They mumble something to a newspaper and then go buy exotic cats or cut three albums on drug recovery that might as well be talking about addiction to hot sauce for all the clarity it offers.

We've got regular people here and elsewhere dedicating themselves to helping people. I guess you don't get to where they are by being overly concerned with other people.

And I'd like to see someone put a microphone in Jonathan's doctors faces and ask them a question or two. Every muckraker we have left is worried about Trump. This one lady I was talking to who covered the opioid epidemic is just working the campaign trail. A great use of investigative skills. There is no oxygen left in the room.

People are freaking out about this. They are so scared their Benzos are going to be taken away. This is the only thing any stranger who has "approached" me wants to talk to me about.

Doctors have been moving away from prescribing Benzos long term for years. You can see that a lot of people here started tapering because their doctor forced them to taper or their previous doctor retired and they couldn’t find another one who would prescribe benzos. Part of this is because GPs don’t want to deal with the hassle of prescribing benzos. Also, the patent on a lot of these drugs expired years ago so drug manufacturers just don’t make that much money from them. Instead, drug representatives are pushing doctors to prescribe more expensive drugs onto the consumer.

The whole reason I started tapering was because I was afraid I would be cut off and I didn’t want to have to taper in a very short period of time.

However, I don’t think last night’s episode is going to cause any kind of shift in terms of taking these drugs away from long term users.

I do think an unintended consequence will be long term users tapering off too quickly because they are now scared to take them. Last night’s episode was very vague about how long it takes to taper off these drugs. 4 weeks was deemed inadequate but there are people here who need years to taper off of these drugs.

Heavy emphasis was placed on not stopping the medication abruptly so hopefully people paid close attention to that.

I will also say that unlike most people here, benzos were a positive addition to my life. I had severe social anxiety and depression for 8 years before I started taking them. They really did help me get a grip on my anxiety and helped turn my life around.

Short term I think they can be helpful. I know my mom had horrific insomnia a couple of years ago and a two week Ativan prescription really helped.

And I'd like to see someone put a microphone in Jonathan's doctors faces and ask them a question or two. Every muckraker we have left is worried about Trump. This one lady I was talking to who covered the opioid epidemic is just working the campaign trail. A great use of investigative skills. There is no oxygen left in the room.

Same...

[1c...]
What piss me off about the whole situation is that doctors not only NOT follow the initiation protocol for this kind drugs meaning only use this drugs for not more than 3/4 week but also they suggest different secession times mainly cutting and hold method and most of the time CT. As we all know, mainly here in the US, benzos aren't suitable for small doses when needed like in other countries where the liquid form comes handy for such purpose, clonazepan and diazepan are a good examples. This shows that not only Pharma but also the FDA ignores what is going on with the use of this drugs. I mainly blame the FDA for all the mess. They are either useless or in bed with Pharma. you pick! I think is both...

I think this show was a great start, and I thank everyone that participated in it. There's so much more that needs to be covered, and it just can't be done in 45 minutes, as many of you have already said. That next documentary that's in post-production looks very promising. I think what's needed is data on the scope of the problem, even if we don't have exact information. Focusing on a couple people and seeing their videos is a very powerful visual, but I'd like to see it attached to a bigger picture. I'd also like to see much more focus on the variability of outcomes and lengths of disability, methods for treating it, and long term damage to the CNS, even once "healed". I am in that last category, but still dealing with lingering effects. And of course, confrontations of doctors!

Except for the very beginning and the very end, I thought it was a very good show. I'm sharing it with all my friends and family.

People are freaking out about this. They are so scared their Benzos are going to be taken away. This is the only thing any stranger who has "approached" me wants to talk to me about.

...You can see that a lot of people here started tapering because their doctor forced them to taper or their previous doctor retired and they couldn’t find another one who would prescribe benzos. ...

The whole reason I started tapering was because I was afraid I would be cut off and I didn’t want to have to taper in a very short period of time.

in red...me too, initially. but then i found out they were the cause of so many of my past sxs i decided to do it because they are ruining my life.

What piss me off about the whole situation is that doctors not only NOT follow the initiation protocol for this kind drugs meaning only use this drugs for not more than 3/4 week but also they suggest different secession times mainly cutting and hold method and most of the time CT. As we all know, mainly here in the US, benzos aren't suitable for small doses when needed like in other countries where the liquid form comes handy for such purpose, clonazepan and diazepan are a good examples. This shows that not only Pharma but also the FDA ignores what is going on with the use of this drugs. I mainly blame the FDA for all the mess. They are either useless or in bed with Pharma. you pick! I think is both...

:thumbsup: