• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

The severity of withdrawal is certainly not downplayed, it's really the essence of the whole show.  But, as noted by a couple others, not much mention of protracted recovery. 

Rather than mass hysteria, I'm hopeful it'll prove to be very educational, and that doctors *and* addiction treatment centers will take heed and adjust their withdrawal protocols accordingly.  We shall see ...

Not good time slot for it.

Just learned this today:

"Mr. Robot's return date is no longer password-protected: The fourth and final season of USA Network's crypto-thriller will premiere Sunday, Oct. 6 at 10/9c, TVLine has learned."

Of course, I'm wathing Lisa Ling.  I would hope that would go w/out saying, but posting that, too, just in case.  :);)  To my mind, this is bad for those who'd we like to watch it, not to mention any medical professionals on their "off-time"; how likely is it they'll watch something medically-related.  I guess whoever's going to watch will watch, regardless.  I know it's easy enough to view the other, at a later date, through OnDemand feature & both will have repeats of the episodes.  Lisa Ling's same night @ later time 1:00 AM, Monday.  (EST)

I doubt very much that my extended loved ones will watch it, if I even bother notifying, b/c that will probably just be an exercise in futility.  I'd be delighted if they did.  They are, plainly, so very uncomfortable w/this topic, no matter that I've opened up the dialogue.  I don't get any questions regarding this whole travesty & if I start discussing, they either just go quiet or change the subject.  I don't believe it's that people are uncaring; I think they're scared, themselves, & instead, cower in ignorance.  That & people are generally self-absorbed; just modern life...very busy & oftentimes, overwhelmed themselves - If they only realized what we're going through!  ::)

That's another hurdle for reporters, BIC & any medical professionals who do want to learn & to educate others', to get beyond: Fear -  b/c I don't believe that's only in the realm of laypeople. 

I think it also would have been nice of Lisa Ling/CNN, whatever other organizations are involved, to have let BB Community have the episode beforehand.  ...The other thing I'm debating, before notifying anyone, is that, w/out having viewed it, I'm uncertain whether or not they are stressing the words prescription-dependent, not addiction, & actually, should even be highlighting that difference.  Without that distinction they may be doing more harm, than good.  I'm also very much hoping they'll also shine a light on the important fact that many are put on these medications for pain-management; that this isn't, singularly, a mental health issue. - That will be the next health-care trouble: overprescription of anti-depressants. - Baby-steps, better than no steps.  This is a problem that's been started & built, exponentially, over at least 20-25 years, if not more.  Nothing's going to change overnight.  I'm happily surprised & grateful it's being addressed now & not 10 years from now.

Whether all issues and topics we think should be included or not, the fact SOMETHING has been made to shed light on this hidden epidemic is good news!  Any news coverage is appreciated over none!! It would be great if they created a series relating to many of the topics mentioned in this thread.  This drug has such a HUGE span of syptoms during use, during withdrawal and after (protracted) that all deserve the spotlight!  Maybe this will get other news/investigative journalists inspired! I hope so!

I doubt very much that my extended loved ones will watch it, if I even bother notifying, b/c that will probably just be an exercise in futility.  I'd be delighted if they did.  They are, plainly, so very uncomfortable w/this topic, no matter that I've opened up the dialogue.  I don't get any questions regarding this whole travesty & if I start discussing, they either just go quiet or change the subject.  I don't believe it's that people are uncaring; I think they're scared, themselves, & instead, cower in ignorance. That & people are generally self-absorbed; just modern life...very busy & oftentimes, overwhelmed themselves - If they only realized what we're going through!  ::)

I doubt very much that my extended loved ones will watch it, if I even bother notifying, b/c that will probably just be an exercise in futility.  I'd be delighted if they did.  They are, plainly, so very uncomfortable w/this topic, no matter that I've opened up the dialogue.  I don't get any questions regarding this whole travesty & if I start discussing, they either just go quiet or change the subject.  I don't believe it's that people are uncaring; I think they're scared, themselves, & instead, cower in ignorance. That & people are generally self-absorbed; just modern life...very busy & oftentimes, overwhelmed themselves - If they only realized what we're going through!  ::)

Yeah, I get that also. Maybe I'm talking about it too much. I dunno. I think part of the issue is that people truly want to help, but they just don't know how. That makes them afraid to try.

Edit: Typo.

I'm starting to think that the biggest pushback won't be from Pharma, or doctors, it will be from patients whose medication seems to be working for them. They are going to be scared and vocal about not having it taken away.

I'm starting to think that the biggest pushback won't be from Pharma, or doctors, it will be from patients whose medication seems to be working for them. They are going to be scared and vocal about not having it taken away.

Hm... something that never occurred to me. You could be right.  :thumbsup:

Hey everyone,

Life blows as usual but I was checking in.  I live in the northeastern US, and in my area it will air at 10 pm on Sunday on CNN.

Here is what I think will happen: Not a f-ing thing.  We are hen's teeth, frog's hair, 1 in 1000 cases of benzo use.  I have long stated that there is nothing wrong with us except being really, really, unlucky.  Are we sick?  Hell yes.  Will anyone care?  Hell no.  And it is not a conspiracy.  It is just that our condition is extremely rare.

Still, I look forward to seeing the episode.

Hope you are all having better days than I am.

Ramcon1

Hey everyone,

Life blows as usual but I was checking in.  I live in the northeastern US, and in my area it will air at 10 pm on Sunday on CNN.

Here is what I think will happen: Not a f-ing thing.  We are hen's teeth, frog's hair, 1 in 1000 cases of benzo use.  I have long stated that there is nothing wrong with us except being really, really, unlucky.  Are we sick?  Hell yes.  Will anyone care?  Hell no.  And it is not a conspiracy.  It is just that our condition is extremely rare.

Ramcon1

I disagree. I know or have known people, in real life, who were prescribed benzos during the 1970's and later. I believe most long-term users of benzos suffer long-term or permanent damage. That's just my opinion based upon my observation of real life people who have used benzos, long-term, as prescribed. best wishes 

Hey everyone,

Ramcon1

Of course this is just a drop in the much larger bucket but I have no doubt whatsoever that this episode won't prevent some people from starting these awful drugs and make others aware that the drugs they are taking might be causing them problems. It may very well also save a few people from a very painful and protracted withdrawal since it explains the importance of doing a slow taper. I am also pretty optimistic that it is a step in the right direction and that it is possible that it could act as a catalyst for more accurate coverage of this problem.

You have to look at the big picture. One news piece isn't going to eliminate the problem but it is a positive step. If enough people make enough noise eventually people will start to listen.

I think what some of us are wrestling with internally are our two hopes.

1) this will help others.

2) this will help me.

seems like this show has a good chance to do the first. Save others, lessen their pain, help move the needle on informed consent, provoke a groundswell of information and even anger over this issue that might lead to some oversight or rule changes or whatever. Maybe a real black box warning about dependence. Lot's of possibilities.

And in some psychological way, it may help the second by making conversations easier or removing some of the stigma. I'm sure there are people who are suffering right now who will find comfort in ways I can't imagine from this.

But I know there is a part of me that thinks this will help me now in some unspecified action-orientated way. Like some researcher at Pfizer will pop up and distribute the complete guide to the "cure" after seeing it.

Part of going through this is wrestling with these different kinds of hope. And knowing that part of the process is having some of my own unreasonable-magical-thinking-type-hopes that are a part of "this will help me," fail to materialize.

I am not a fully rational being. I'm an emotional one. My mind is looking for escape everywhere. Part of me sees this as an escape and I'm trying to acknowledge that so that I can lessen the damage I do to myself by thinking about this show as being about my

situation. Hope that makes sense. I know it's confusingly written.

quiet

I think what some of us are wrestling with internally are our two hopes.

1) this will help others.

2) this will help me.

seems like this show has a good chance to do the first. Save others, lessen their pain, help move the needle on informed consent, provoke a groundswell of information and even anger over this issue that might lead to some oversight or rule changes or whatever. Maybe a real black box warning about dependence. Lot's of possibilities.

And in some psychological way, it may help the second by making conversations easier or removing some of the stigma. I'm sure there are people who are suffering right now who will find comfort in ways I can't imagine from this.

But I know there is a part of me that thinks this will help me now in some unspecified action-orientated way. Like some researcher at Pfizer will pop up and distribute the complete guide to the "cure" after seeing it.

Part of going through this is wrestling with these different kinds of hope. And knowing that part of the process is having some of my own unreasonable-magical-thinking-type-hopes that are a part of "this will help me," fail to materialize.

I am not a fully rational being. I'm an emotional one. My mind is looking for escape everywhere. Part of me sees this as an escape and I'm trying to acknowledge that so that I can lessen the damage I do to myself by thinking about this show as being about my

situation. Hope that makes sense. I know it's confusingly written.

quiet

This really makes a great deal of sense, and I personally don't think it's all that confusingly written quiet.

The part I bolded in the quote is how I feel about one major lesson I'm learning from the entire experience of iatrogenic benzodiazepine injury and withdrawal. I guess that it is a huge part of becoming an adult and growing older. This is what I feel is true anyway. Especially because there are so many ways for us in this time we are living in also, to fall into magical thinking and base our lives off of the illusory.

I guess it's a good thing to start to recognize, accept and understand... all that you have written here and what it is that I'm also trying to communicate. Probably life can be a whole lot less painful when lived from a more realistic(?) and practical perspective.

I think it's a great idea to talk about things like this. It seems to me that many of psychological processes are challenging to explain and/or define. So I think you did a pretty good job of summing up some feelings and thoughts probably many of us are having.

That's been my fear, too. People are very vocal about their benzos if the drug "seems" to be working for them. They always say that they've taken the pills as prescribed and have no problems. They're a tough crowd to get across to.

In fact the second post I saw to Lisa Ling's instagram asking for people's stories is this: I have been on Klonopin since I was 15 after I was diagnosed with panic disorder. I am 41 now. I take ONLY as prescribed. Why is a whole group of people that have emotionally gone through enough now going to have to jump through hoops to get our medication. Absolutely ridiculous. People who use it recreationally and buy it off dealers are the ones dying, not the ones who abide by their doctor’s orders. Pisses me off!!!

Uninformed, mad as hell...

I think this is typical of their thought processes, unfortunately. And maybe doctors agree with them, which would be just terrible...

I just watched the Lisa Ling link provided thus far.  If I wasn't a victim, this is what I would think about that video:

There is an older man in  the hospital who is having a tough time and a daughter who is concerned with his "mental state" primarily...dillusions

and psychological symptoms.  This man is probably in the hospital because he took too many pills called benzos.  He is apparently an

addict because the interviewer called him that.  This is very uncommon because the interviewer said this happened to 1/1000 people who

used the drug.  I don't know how long the man took the benzo.  The patient got better but after how long and how is he now?  Was he given

an antibiotic that brought on  these acute symptoms? Does he have physical symptoms.  I wish I could hear from the patient!! 

I hope that we, as a large contingent of victims from BB's, can have a voice after watching the CNN video of Ms. Ling's and I will be one to

write to her personally and tell my story.  She is listening but  as I am reading this thread there are so  many points to make beginning at

pharmaceutical responsibility, doctor/patient care, warning labels, short and long term symptoms, protracted symptoms, antibiotic contraindications and the lack of responsibility of the FDA.  I know you could all add to this list of information and hope some of you will take

time to write to her and the network to keep the ball rolling.  I surely have been waiting for this kind of opportunity.

What a great proactive thread.  Wishing you all a bright shiny window today.

Klonkar :thumbsup:

Klonkar I agree you see a sick old man who maybe took a cocktail of pills and is very sick. It wasn't even said he was given benzos long term and its suggested maybe benzos did this maybe they didn't. Watching him was hard imagining it was benzo w/d because I know that feeling.

I love Lisa Ling and this show. Its actually one of my favorite tv shows to watch but I agree the episode fell short of explaining fully what benzos do and how long off we are all suffering which has been the hardest thing for me to make anyone believe even my doctors. I've only been off 7 months.

I love the idea of writing Lisa Ling. Do you know how to do this? Maybe a bunch of us could do this.

I think it will help a bit...like a grain of sand.  After all, Chris Cornell passed away 2-1/2 years ago.  I'd thought @ that time (almost a full year before my doctor just stopped ativan prescriptions, after writing them for over 10 years; but realized around that same time, that perhaps, the agoraphobia & depression I'd been experiencing since sometime in '16 might possibly be related to the ativan & upon research, discovering I was in tolerance withdrawal) that this, a celebrity's taking his own life, possibly from ativan-induced suicide, might get this out to the public, at large, in a much greater way.  Nope.  There are so, so many intangibles.  Gleaned from research (I do like his music w/Audioslave & solo career; not so much Soundgarden; too depressing): He was a beacon to a lot of people who have struggled through addictions, which, probably is not a help for benzo-dependents), as he'll be viewed as an addict.  He, himself, had been an alcoholic who had not touched alcohol for at least a decade.  Had sustained an on-stage injury & then was, I'm actually, not certain, if he was opioid-dependent, or addicted.  Checked himself into a center for a 2-month stay.  No more opioids.  He did Not take more than the prescribed amount of ativan.  His bodyguard held that & disbersed, as written.  That's something that absolutely needs to be addressed in a much better way; to make that critical distinction between dependent & addicted. That doesn't help the cause of folks who are benzo-dependent, to be either viewed as, or lumped together, w/addicts.  There is addictive-behavior.

I'm thinking of this program as a start.  (I haven't seen the whole episode trailer; only what was in link which was for the whole series trailer.  I have no idea how others' here, have viewed the episode.)  This has been a crisis-in-the-making for at least 20 years.  The opioid crisis has been around & still not managed, for some time, now.  I think if you're hoping for any groundswell of public enlightenment, (both medical establishment & public, at large) you'll be disappointed.  Any series, documentaries, exposes, at this point in time, may help now & in the future; it's not going to relieve our present circumstances.  Only the future outcome can be corrected; not the past.  Unfortunately, we need answers now.  That's why it needs so much more investigation, in order to benefit those who are presently suffering the consequences; not just to stave off furthering its' perpetration.  It really needs to be a 2-step approach, for that reason.  Otherwise, doctors are only going to be stopping writing prescriptions.  They need to be educated. 

So, for those, like myself, in pain & otherwise, debilitated: this isn't going to change present circumstances.  Will it answer questions?  Perhaps.  Regarding protracted withdrawal: Unlikely.  Does w/d depend on dose & length of time prescribed?  Unknown, but likely.  PAWS?  More research required.  I doubt those topics will be addressed at all.  Will know by Sunday.  IMO, re: this program...Best to have realistic expectations. 

I just watched the Lisa Ling link provided thus far.  If I wasn't a victim, this is what I would think about that video:

There is an older man in  the hospital who is having a tough time and a daughter who is concerned with his "mental state" primarily...dillusions

and psychological symptoms.  This man is probably in the hospital because he took too many pills called benzos.  He is apparently an

addict because the interviewer called him that.  This is very uncommon because the interviewer said this happened to 1/1000 people who

used the drug.  I don't know how long the man took the benzo.  The patient got better but after how long and how is he now?  Was he given

an antibiotic that brought on  these acute symptoms? Does he have physical symptoms.  I wish I could hear from the patient!! 

I hope that we, as a large contingent of victims from BB's, can have a voice after watching the CNN video of Ms. Ling's and I will be one to

write to her personally and tell my story.  She is listening but  as I am reading this thread there are so  many points to make beginning at

pharmaceutical responsibility, doctor/patient care, warning labels, short and long term symptoms, protracted symptoms, antibiotic contraindications and the lack of responsibility of the FDA.  I know you could all add to this list of information and hope some of you will take

time to write to her and the network to keep the ball rolling.  I surely have been waiting for this kind of opportunity.

What a great proactive thread.  Wishing you all a bright shiny window today.

Klonkar :thumbsup:

agreed. i'm writing her also after the show, and after i get my drug hx complete to send with it. i want to show the clear prgression of the drug rx's with dates and then the sxs that came withand followed them.  but agreed, the short portion of her dad wasn't concise, the full episode is much more thorough, though how thorough can a 1 hour, or 40 minutes witout commercials, be? she did a great job considering time constraints. i'll be watching it sunday night again (i saw it on the leaked link). thanks for your perceptive view!

I think it will help a bit...like a grain of sand.  After all, Chris Cornell passed away 2-1/2 years ago.  I'd thought @ that time (almost a full year before my doctor just stopped ativan prescriptions, after writing them for over 10 years; but realized around that same time, that perhaps, the agoraphobia & depression I'd been experiencing since sometime in '16 might possibly be related to the ativan) that this, a celebrity's taking his own life, possibly from ativan-induced suicide, might get this out to the public, at large, in a much greater way.  Nope.  There are so, so many intangibles. He was a beacon to a lot of people who have struggled through addictions, which, probably is not a help for benzo-dependents), as he'll be viewed as an addict.  He, himself, had been an alcoholic who had not touched alcohol for at least a decade.  Had sustained an on-stage injury & then was, I'm actually, not certain, if he was opioid-dependent, or addicted.  Checked himself into a center for a 2-month stay.  No more opioids.  That's something that absolutely needs to be addressed in a much better way; to make that critical distinction between dependent & addicted. That doesn't help the cause of folks who are benzo-dependent, to be either viewed as, or lumped together, w/addicts. There is addictive-behavior.

I'm thinking of this program as a start.  (I haven't seen the whole episode; only what was in link which was for the whole series.  I have no idea how others' here, have viewed the episode.)  This has been a crisis-in-the-making for at least 20 years.  The opioid crisis has been around & still not managed, for some time, now.  I think if you're hoping for any groundswell of public enlightenment, (both medical establishment & public, at large) you'll be disappointed.  Any series, documentaries, exposes, at this point in time, may help now & in the future; it's not going to relieve our present circumstances.  Only the future outcome can be corrected; not the past.  Unfortunately, we need answers now.  That's why it needs so much more investigation, in order to benefit those who are presently suffering the consequences; not just staving off furthering its' perpetration.  It really needs to be a 2-step approach, for that reason.  Otherwise, doctors are only going to be stopping writing prescriptions.  They need to be educated. 

So, for those, like myself, in pain & otherwise, debilitated: this isn't going to change present circumstances.  Will it answer questions?  Perhaps.  Regarding protracted withdrawal: Unlikely.  Does w/d depend on dose & length of time prescribed?  Unknown, but likely. PAWS?  More research required.  I doubt those topics will be addressed at all.  Will know by Sunday.  IMO, re: this program...Best to have realistic expectations.  For those, like myself, in pain & otherwise, debilitated: this isn't going to change present circumstances... For us: must continue having blind-faith/what other recourse.

thank you czKK for this.

personally, so i can show the black and white progression from date of RX and increased doses, CT and rapid tapers off by dr's and the onset and worsening of sxs, i'm compiling an accurate timeline of my drug and sxs history so others can see it without the emotionality distraction that my story telling will insert. after they can see the facts on paper in black and white, then i'll add my story. like in a courtroom. facts facts facts. later on the witness testifies to seal the jury's decision. i hope this will help others.

i encourage EVEYRONE to obtain all of your medical records and preferably on paper but cd or digital is next best, including printouts from every pharmacy you've ever visited for a dated list of your RX meds and also a list of all your prrescribers, including surgeries and anesthesia used and antibiotics used because like Klonkar said the interactions/contraindications make a big difference. get your records asap because they are getting rd of the evidence. i know, having to use a damn lawyer to get my records from this last psychiatrist, smh. anyways, the pharmacy records tell a lot. and they are free.

money drives change. if companies get sued change occurs, sometimes later than desired but faster than just complaining. lawsuits help the changes get made. unfortunaely i will likely have to sue  to get disability or any other compensation for the decades lost on benzos and other drugs. fine. there have been class action lawsuits in the past on some of my meds and there will be huge ones in the future for the benzos and others, like opiods. even if they file bankruptcy like purdue, eventually the word spreads of money losses and settlements spread that message far across the globe. when the manufacturers in india and isreal etc etc start losing their funding, well. nobody wants to just cold turkey off of course. but somewhere it's got to start/stop. and if the dr's dont find out their patients lives are ruined longterm, then it will never start to stop. and yes they must be educated. nobody wants the zombie apocalypse to start because everyone got cut off at the same time with no slow w'd.

Thank you for the great thread Nomore.  I don't get CNN so I will look for other ways to watch any post airings of this.  If there is any way

I can tune into the site where you watched, I'd be thrilled.  I'll be collecting my information as well and your thoughts are really appreciated.

Klonkar

Thank you for the great thread Nomore.  I don't get CNN so I will look for other ways to watch any post airings of this.  If there is any way

I can tune into the site where you watched, I'd be thrilled.  I'll be collecting my information as well and your thoughts are really appreciated.

Klonkar

hey Klonkar,

they yanked the link down after Jordan Peterson tweeted it publicly, but you will be able to buy the episode for 2$ from Amazon Prime after it airs i believe. if not, i'm SURE somebody will put a bootleg of the episode on youtube after it airs...if i see a link i'll send.  :)

Klonkar

You can watch CNN for free on a smart tv through the Pluto app, but I am not sure if the Pluto broadcast matches up exactly with the live broadcast.

And if at all possible, let's make sure we are watching this through legitimate means. I get it if you absolutely can't cause you are dead broke or are using a Commodore 64. This community has a "right" to this experience. But if there's one show on earth we don't want to bootleg it's this one. I think nomoredrug's earlier suggestion of finding it on youtube later was perfectly valid if, as she also suggested, you can't do it another way.

But let's all give it our best shot. If this show tanks in the ratings then we may go backward, cause no one else will cover it. If it does well, or even soars? Then that opens up other options for the people who have worked on this story or other people in news who see it and get interested.

Basically: watch it live, watch it through other official means (they might post it themselves to youtube, that would be awesome), buy it, buy it for your friends. I know we all know this, and that people are only looking to see it now and will watch it again later live, and that in the end the person suffering deserves this more than one extra click will matter. I just want us to think tactically in our choices, if we can.

And if at all possible, let's make sure we are watching this through legitimate means. I get it if you absolutely can't cause you are dead broke or are using a Commodore 64. This community has a "right" to this experience. But if there's one show on earth we don't want to bootleg it's this one. I think nomoredrug's earlier suggestion of finding it on youtube later was perfectly valid if, as she also suggested, you can't do it another way.

But let's all give it our best shot. If this show tanks in the ratings then we may go backward, cause no one else will cover it. If it does well, or even soars? Then that opens up other options for the people who have worked on this story or other people in news who see it and get interested.

Basically: watch it live, watch it through other official means (they might post it themselves to youtube, that would be awesome), buy it, buy it for your friends. I know we all know this, and that people are only looking to see it now and will watch it again later live, and that in the end the person suffering deserves this more than one extra click will matter. I just want us to think tactically in our choices, if we can.

agreed. that's why i'm watching it on CNN even tho i saw the leaked one, cause i want to show support for the makers and contributors of the episode. i wish my family would watch it too  :thumbsup: