This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

Thanks for the heads up Floridaguy.  I have the Pluto app downloaded but it's been a while since I opened that. I wouldn't know how to bootleg something if I wanted.  That comes free on the Roku box where  I  pay for a few apps.  I can't even pay for YouTube in my area but can get that on my computer. 

There are other channels that have broadcast mini documents regarding benzos but not for a long time.  Fox news did some pieces and I found

those articles on the inet and YouTube.  If I get my timetable and story finished, it'll be easy to send it off to more than one TV journalist.  Here's

an old link that is great but that didn't create much of a stir either.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/popping-xanax-is-more-harmful-than-you-think

I'm looking forward to watching Ms. Ling and have shared this information with my ND daughter and she is on board to take a look.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisa asked on her Facebook and twitter for benzo harm stories. Over 600 responses so far outlining devastation.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-03-at-9-59-06-PM.png

Sidebar to a previous comment: I don't think we're all that rare. I think most people have something when they try to stop. Extremely severe is less common, but I know 5 people in 20 min drive of me who have this.

1. totally disabled for years. had PAWS 2 years when I joined I 2014

2. has akathisia and has been tapering since 2015

3. been off 2 years, still disabled after a 2-3 year taper

4. killed herself after 10 months of aka

5. gave up and reinstated

this is all within a 20 mile radius...  how rare can it be?

To put it in perspective, ALS got all those people to dump ice buckets on their heads. Raised 115 million. There's only 100k people living with it at once. Only 5k are diagnosed per year. There's an estimated 16k people living with ALS in America. ALS is not the type of thing that never gets diagnosed... those numbers are accurate. We matter, we're big enough, and this crap needs to get fixed.

:thumbsup:

Lisa asked on her Facebook and twitter for benzo harm stories. Over 600 responses so far outlining devastation.

Sidebar to a previous comment: I don't think we're all that rare. I think most people have something when they try to stop. Extremely severe is less common, but I know 5 people in 20 min drive of me who have this.

To put it in perspective, ALS got all those people to dump ice buckets on their heads. Raised 115 million. There's only 100k people living with it at once. Only 5k are diagnosed per year. There's an estimated 16k people living with ALS in America. ALS is not the type of thing that never gets diagnosed... those numbers are accurate. We matter, we're big enough, and this crap needs to get fixed.

I totally agree. We are not a minority. I don’t know the numbers but I know we aren’t a minority.

:thumbsup:

I totally agree. We are not a minority. I don’t know the numbers but I know we aren’t a minority.

I suspect if everyone currently suffering from this became aware of it in the same day it would be a lot of people.

I doubt very much that my extended loved ones will watch it, if I even bother notifying, b/c that will probably just be an exercise in futility.  I'd be delighted if they did.  They are, plainly, so very uncomfortable w/this topic, no matter that I've opened up the dialogue.  I don't get any questions regarding this whole travesty & if I start discussing, they either just go quiet or change the subject.  I don't believe it's that people are uncaring; I think they're scared, themselves, & instead, cower in ignorance.  That & people are generally self-absorbed; just modern life...very busy & oftentimes, overwhelmed themselves - If they only realized what we're going through!  ::)

That's another hurdle for reporters, BIC & any medical professionals who do want to learn & to educate others', to get beyond: Fear -  b/c I don't believe that's only in the realm of laypeople.

This is my own quote, so I extrapolated from it (something I wouldn't do to anyone else's, nor take anything out of context).  Did this b/c this is the part I'm addressing in this post.  I did receive notification from BIC tonight @ 9:15 PM.  So, I did forward that to my loved ones, along w/a message that I hoped they would watch.  Again, it's doubtful.  "You Can Lead A Horse To Water..."  Also, just today I was on the telephone w/one & so brought it up.  I received the cool reception I'd fully anticipated.  When I asked if she wanted me to send e-mail w/information: "no".  -  Hah...it just occurred to me; maybe I'm being more generous-hearted than they deserve, thinking the public, at large, is uncomfortable w/this subject matter & so they are, too; maybe they actually don't love me/care enough to learn; if they did, they'd watch.  But, I know them well; they're not open for learning much of anything, in general = "Ignorance is Bliss".  I think it's terribly egregious when people stay stuck @ any particular age & don't want to know/learn anything beyond that.  Well, I'll see if anyone does ask me any questions the following week.  If not, the main thing is I've got to love me enough & remain steadfast.

The numbers are disguised by the fact that the people who are supposed to be reporting the problem insists it isn't real.

You can't accuratly report a problem if you don't think the problem exists. And it's hard for you to believe in a problem if you might be the cause.

To misquote Homer, "Doctors: Both the Cause of, and (False) Witnesses to, all Iatrogenic Injuries."

The numbers are disguised by the fact that the people who are supposed to be reporting the problem insists it isn't real.

Absolutely. How many doctors write it off as "anxiety"? How many patients are unable to connect the dots? The problem is magnitudes larger than the general public or the medical community would like to believe.

That said, these are some of the most commonly prescribed drugs in the world and if everyone has the type of reaction you see here, they wouldn't have the luxury of writing it off as something else. So the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I would guess that a substantial minority of people have some kind of issues with these drugs while they are on them, whether they realize it or not, and a decent portion have some kind of withdrawal issues when they try to come off, whether they realize it was the drug or not. As far as how many people suffer from severe issues that last for many months or years? Who knows, but I would bet it's in the single digits.

That's still a LOT of people considering how many scripts are written worldwide every year, but maybe not as many as you would think if you spend time in the benzo support community.

How many people even talk to their doctors about this??? I certainly don't.

And how many people are polydrugged and DON'T EVEN KNOW it's the benzo that has caused the real problem!

I believe it's not a small minority at all.

How many people go through years of symptoms and are confused as to why? Their doctors certainly wouldn't know, so they may give the patient some reason or other why they're suffering.

I know I keep saying it, but my brother-in-law was sick for 10 years and apparently wasn't aware it was the benzos he'd taken a long time ago. I heard my sister say that he was better in 6 months, but maybe he'd had a window. She kept very quiet about it. They were embarrassed because the people around him looked at him as a mental case. He finally went down to Costa Rica for a long time in order to have a feeding tube put down his throat. He had so much acid from the PPI, and doctors in the U.S. refused to do it. I think he finally felt well after that.

I bet a sizable amount of people just go to the doctor and get another pill for their symptoms from benzos. As FG said, they may never connect the dots. They wouldn't even be on BB, having no knowledge of how these drugs work.

What is most interesting to me is that this is utterly unknowable to us at this time. How many syndromes exist where you cannot even say to what order of magnitude the afflicted exist? the Layers of scandal that are required to exist at all levels of society in order for the most basic facts to be unknown about  something this severe, that possibly effects so many people, is astonishing.

Say it this way: what if the only effect of this drug was that it caused significant memory loss in 5% of patients? That would be horrible. But we all know that it is far far worse than that. It’s like a conspiracy, but at some points it looks more like a conspiracy of idiocy.

Bad news, IMO:  In U.S. there have been vaping-related deaths; I believe another one just occurred.  Very prominent in the news.  Like the opioid crisis, this will take precedence over anything affecting (largely, so far) people in their 40s (& 30's, too, though that contingent may also be more affected w/vaping) & beyond to 80s.  Generally speaking, people begin losing viability @ around 50 years of age & more w/each successive decade. -  In the advertising world, it's even younger; anyone over 25 is not considered the primary markets.  Increasing difficulty to bring public awareness to this.  - Please don't take issue w/me; I'm just addressing the social mores aspect. - It's getting to the point of how many crises can be addressed simultaneously?  :o  :(

Bad news, IMO:  In U.S. there have been vaping-related deaths; I believe another one just occurred.  Very prominent in the news.  Like the opioid crisis, this will take precedence over anything affecting (largely, so far) people in their 40s (& 30's, too, though that contingent may also be more affected w/vaping) & beyond to 80s.  Generally speaking, people begin losing viability @ around 50 years of age & more w/each successive decade. -  In the advertising world, it's even younger; anyone over 25 is not considered the primary markets.  Increasing difficulty to bring public awareness to this.  - Please don't take issue w/me; I'm just addressing the social mores aspect. - It's getting to the point of how many crises can be addressed simultaneously?  :o  :(

Yeah, no kidding. How many I don't know.

Could someone pls post when its 10pm in the right time zones, preferably in the days/evenings prior.. lol

I suspect it will be early monday morning for me..??

Sorry, a bit slack, but Ta in advance...

Cantfly,

I used the converter and it looks like the documentary is coming your way at noon on Monday.

7pm PST Sunday = 12noon AEST Monday

Cantfly,

I used the converter and it looks like the documentary is coming your way at noon on Monday.

Ok thanks.. :)

-so is it on at 7pm over there..?

Oh my poor head.. :(

Cantfly,

PST is Pacific Standard Time, so on the West Coast of the USA it is on at 7pm.

Cantfly,

Thanks... am “onto it” now.. :)

Cantfly,

It's on at 10 PM Eastern and Pacific

Cantfly,

It's on at 10 PM Eastern and Pacific

lol, we’ll get there... :)

I just need access at some point, as my good Dr is asking for info now she has “noticed” a couple of other patients having “some problems” with just benzos on their own..

Lol, it might be slow, but she is getting educated, and its flowing on to some Drs under her too..

-No stress.. :)

Cantfly,

wait what? i thought it was on at 10pm central? am i mistaken...i sure don't wanna miss it!

Cantfly,

wait what? i thought it was on at 10pm central? am i mistaken...i sure don't wanna miss it!

I think it's 9 central, but it's 10 PM both ET and PT  - check your listings

Quietquiet: :smitten:

I might be the only one who is deeply concerned about you jumping way up to 3 mg of Klonopin.  Just FYI you have jumped from the equivllant

of 40 mg of valium to 60.  This is a huge jump up and probably so unnecessary.  You could have probably felt equally relieved with just a small

updose, like 2.10 mg to start your taper. 

Please, please consider tapering quickly down to a smaller dose before your brain totally adapts to the three mg.  You don't say, that I can

find, how long ago you made this move.  Please reach out to others to get more opinions.

With love and hope,

Klonkar

Quietquiet: :smitten:

I might be the only one who is deeply concerned about you jumping way up to 3 mg of Klonopin.  Just FYI you have jumped from the equivllant

of 40 mg of valium to 60.  This is a huge jump up and probably so unnecessary.  You could have probably felt equally relieved with just a small

updose, like 2.10 mg to start your taper. 

Please, please consider tapering quickly down to a smaller dose before your brain totally adapts to the three mg.  You don't say, that I can

find, how long ago you made this move.  Please reach out to others to get more opinions.

With love and hope,

Klonkar

That's good find, Klonkar.  QQ...looks like you're going up & down/back & forth; not good.  Suggest doing research here on BB & doing a slow-taper.  From one who conducted massive research when doctor notified no more, after prescribing for 10+ years @ high dose.  Had suspicions that the agoraphobia & depression I'd been experiencing might be from ativan &, sure enough, learned about tolerance w/d sxs, having had no prior history of either, as was prescribed for pain management.  I cut-off doctor & solo slow-tapered for 10 months.  All in signature line.  Good Luck.