Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

Due to her father going through what she experienced... being a great journalist she got her antenna's up, as she knew who he always way and saw what was taking place.  Thank you to Lisa that she took this further.  I viewed it, it showed the truth... Grateful one of our bbs was covered with the reality, and BB was shown.  I can only share with each and everyone of you, I healed and my husband did also.  It's a journey of none other, but you can and will get to the other side of this nightmare journey.  It truly does occur...

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone finds out the audience (viewership? Ratings?) whatever, can you please post? I really want to know how this did compared to her previous shows (all of which are listed on Wikipedia, except for the first episode of this season).

So many ads on Ling's production it was hard to find an coherency.  Really came up short IMHO but better than the silence the subject has received up until now.  Pharma may have a hold on CNN, BTW which would explain the equivocal feel of the piece.  I am so sorry for others who may be triggered by this program.  WBB

Yes. I watched the leaked version that had no commercials. So much better of a viewing experience.

Hi thinkstopthink, where can we find that leaked version, would you mind sharing?

Thank you!

Firstly,  I only viewed snippets of youtube excerpts on this, so don't have that to compare this to.  I didn't feel what I had viewed on youtube depicted my own situation at all & felt that viewing those would not be helpful.  Now, 7-/2 months post 10-month taper, w/worsening pain last 2 months.  All in signature line.  Feel the same about this.

Grade: D

I took notes immediately after show ended, while fresh in mind.  My thoughts:

Sensationalistic, focusing on possibility of suicide.  I can understand opening with it, but not spending 20 minutes of an hour-long broadcast on that first man's parents/his suicide.  That was also due to Cold Turkey/being polydrugged.  Showing all those bottles, while it may be some people's experience, what about those who have taken 1?  Again, sensationalistic w/potential of more harm than good. 

Immediately after open, was time to educate that w/d (both tolerance & afterwards) is physiological: about GABA & broken Central Nervous System.  That CNS is reponsible for the entire body's functioning systems & why w/d sxs effect various body mechanics - Physical & Mental.  Unknown whether or not CNS repairs itself & whether or not ever returns to full functioning.

Found it interesting that she also opened w/death of Chris Cornell, ever so brief/Widow, Vicky not interviewed. 

No sense of how many people she'd spoken with preparing for broadcast, or how much research done, or how much time spent on it?  Just showed shuffling a bunch of papers.  Surely not merely those 2 & her Dad?  Or, that brief support group, which appeared to be same community.  Not enough statistics given overall; just about increase in number of prescriptions.  How many living in a state of withdrawal? Not enough MDs interviewed.  1 pharmacist, 1 psychiatrist, 1 MD.  No pharmaceutical company representatives (big surprise).

Errors, IMO, re: Krissy segment.  Raised questions, even for myself.  I didn't do liquid titration.  I only know that it's converting to liquid.  I didn't know by syringes.  I'd thought droppers.  Showing anything w/a syringe in a show on medication withdrawal = irresponsible/big negative.  People will automatically associate a syringe w/the worst street drugs & addicts/junkies injecting drugs.

(Is this how it is done?  I, myself, thought it was converted & drank.) 

BB part: Again w/suicides.  Krissy mentioning there had just been 4 suicides.  I haven't seen this type of content on BB & it's been my understanding that such talk is taken down & is against Community guidelines/rules.  If I am correct; this is misrepresentation of BB.

More imporant/vital information contained in Krissy's Q&A which wasn't broadcast (even in just first 2 minutes).  This is what should have aired.  There should also be information & distinction between "Protracted & PAWS" (Post-acute w/d syndrome, as people suffer for years, from either.)  Krissy = wonderful/excellent public speaker, especially considering she said she's inherently shy. 

Nothing about how long w/d sxs may possibly last, after stopping.  Part about Dad jumped from hospital to 3 years later. 

Did show people being prescribed for other conditions, such as sleep, but not for pain, & it is largely for this reason, as well.  i.e. fibromyalgia, post surgeries, injuries...(& for chemotherpy-related pain, ativan is the particular benzo prescribed).  LL's own husband is a radiation oncologist & she, nor he, is aware of that?  (But, it's also my belief that chronic pain following cancer &/or its' treatments will be yet another epidemic, as more are surviving & living w/those possible results.)

In conclusion: Believe more harm than good was done.  Those whose loved ones viewed may well be alarmed by the focus on suicide in this program.  The possible result being they may try to coerce their loved ones to see a mental healthcare professional.  That's where people are typically polydrugged & where that incidence actually becomes greater.  Should have been a multi-part documentary.  Showing such a short featurette is like extrapolating a portion of a book, or paragraph; substance can be taken out-of-context & misunderstood.

I am disappointed by the program.  Should have remembered my own thoughts & words on it, beforehand, to keep realistic expectations.

Embarrassed that I did notify & request my loved ones to view this. 

Firstly,  I only viewed snippets of youtube excerpts on this, so don't have that to compare this to.  I didn't feel what I had viewed on youtube depicted my own situation at all & felt that viewing those would not be helpful.  Feel the same about this.

I took notes immedately after show ended, while fresh in mind.  My thoughts:

Sensationalistic, focusing on possibility of suicide.  I can understand opening with it, but not spending 20 minutes of an hour-long broadcast on that first man's parents/his suicide.  That was also due to Cold Turkey/being polydrugged.  Showing all those bottles, while it may be some people's experience, what about those who have taken 1?  Again, sensationalistic w/potential of more harm than good. 

Immediately after open, was time to educate that w/d (both tolerance & afterwards) is physiological: about GABA & broken Central Nervous System.  That CNS is reponsible for the entire body's functioning systems & why w/d sxs effect various body mechanics - Physical & Mental.  Unknown whether or not CNS repairs itself & whether or not ever returns to full functioning.

Found it interesting that she also opened w/death of Chris Cornell, ever so brief/Widow, Vicky not interviewed. 

No sense of how many people she'd spoken with preparing for broadcast, or how much research done, or how much time spent on it?  Just showed shuffling a bunch of papers.  Surely not merely those 2 & her Dad?  Or, that brief support group, which appeared to be same community.  Not enough statistics given overall; just about increase in number of prescriptions.  How many living in a state of withdrawal? Not enough MDs interviewed.  1 pharmacist, 1 psychiatrist, 1 MD.  No pharmaceutical company representatives (big surprise).

Errors, IMO, re: Krissy segment.  Raised questions, even for myself.  I didn't do liquid titration.  I only know that it's converting to liquid.  I didn't know by syringes.  I'd thought droppers.  Showing anything w/a syringe in a show on medication withdrawal = irresponsible/big negative.  People will automatically associate a syringe w/the worst street drugs & addicts/junkies injecting drugs.

BB part: Again w/suicides.  Krissy mentioning there had just been 4 suicides.  I haven't seen this type of content on BB & it's been my understanding that such talk is taken down & is against Community guidelines/rules.  If I am correct; this is misrepresentation of BB.

Nothing about how long w/d sxs may possibly last, after stopping.  Part about Dad jumped from hospital to 3 years later. 

Did show people being prescribed for other conditions, such as sleep, but not for pain, & it is largely for this reason, as well.  i.e. fibromyalgia, post surgeries, injuries...(& for chemotherpy-related pain, ativan is the particular benzo prescribed).  LL's own husband is a radiation oncologist & she, nor he, is aware of that?  (But, it's also my belief that chronic pain following cancer &/or its' treatments will be yet another epidemic, as more are surviving & living w/those possible results.)

In conclusion: Believe more harm than good was done.  Those whose loved ones viewed may well be alarmed by the focus on suicide in this program.  The possible result being they may try to coerce their loved ones to see a mental healthcare professional.  That's where people are typically polydrugged & where that incidence actually becomes greater.  Should have been a multi-part documentary.  Showing such a short featurette is like extrapolating a portion of a book, or paragraph; substance can be taken out-of-context & misunderstood.

I am disappointed by the program.  Should have remembered my own thoughts & words on it, beforehand, to keep realistic expectations.

Cuzz, great post.

The syringes are for putting the liquid in your mouth. There is no needle attached.  It is just like an oral injection you would give to a baby or small child. 

50 new people registered for BB in Introductions today, October 7, after the Lisa Ling documentary aired. And the day has barely begun.

Perhaps members can help the team by being a bit more active on the forum for awhile to answer questions they see in posts.

The team and Colin are on top of Introductions, responding quickly and that’s great. 

Good luck to the team!

Sofa

Seems to be good feedback from people in the know (all of you). I couldn't get through the first 15min... just hits too close to home at this point. Good for the overall cause though so there's a positive...

I just received an invitation to buy "The Benzo Crisis" on iTunes.  It just popped up on this site. :thumbsup: Was that the name of the show aired

last night? 

I would  love to write Lisa or the network to respond to the show and share my story.  If anyone has an email address or a site to which we can post, I'd be grateful for that information. 

I didn't get to watch the show yet but I love the fact that it might have opened up a dialogue.

Klonkar

Firstly,  I only viewed snippets of youtube excerpts on this, so don't have that to compare this to.  I didn't feel what I had viewed on youtube depicted my own situation at all & felt that viewing those would not be helpful.  Feel the same about this.

I took notes immedately after show ended, while fresh in mind.  My thoughts:

More imporant/vital information contained in Krissy's Q&A which wasn't broadcast (even in just first 2 minutes).  This is what should have aired.  There should also be information & distinction between "Protracted & PAWS" (Post-acute w/d syndrome, as people suffer for years, from either.)  Krissy = wonderful/excellent public speaker, especially considering she said she's inherently shy. 

It's extremely difficult to write a paper or produce a comprehensive show about the dangers of benzodiazepines.                                                   

I am healed.  I have been healed for several years.  One of the first things I did once I healed was to return to college to finish my undergrad degree after leaving my degree unfinished in the 80's.  Back then, I was prescribed benzos for anxiety and quickly reached tolerance resulting in interdose withdrawals which no one recognized as the problem.  I'll spare you the details of 30+ years from the 80's to the last decade trying to find answers to what I was told and thought was my anxiety disorder.  Suffice it to say my history with these drugs is similar to many others here.  As a member who was fairly active a few years ago I have written about some of my experiences here.

To finish my degree the last class I took was a capstone course, a class intended for seniors to draw upon all their experiences over their time in college in pursuit of pursuing a fulfilling, happy and successful life.  I was uniquely qualified to offer insights as a person in my late 50's whose pursuit of these attributes had been derailed by benzos.  I used my benzo experience, my story, to pass this class and to graduate. 

Writing two papers (midterm and final) about my experiences and history with benzos and the damage they did was far more difficult than I ever imagined.  Yes it was emotional, but it wasn't the emotions that made it difficult to communicate the issues that benzos can bring.  Mostly it was how much back story had to be given.  The amount of education that had to be relayed for anyone to understand what I had dealt with over a lifetime was overwhelming. 

For anyone who hasn't had our experiences with benzos our stories are extreme and very hard to explain clearly.  There is just so much material to cover.  So much education to relay. 

It can't be done in one show.  It can't be done in one or two college papers. 

One of the problems I ran into in writing my story was that I found I quickly lost interest in sharing my story, wanting to move into the broader issues that benzos can bring that we are all familiar with here.  Focus was really difficult.  There is so much to teach, so much to talk about, so many new ideas for others to absorb.

So CuzKK, I understand where you are coming from with your critique of the show.  All our experiences here at BB's are unique and still eerily similar.  Putting together a show like this that everyone can relate to is just beyond reasonability.  To understand what I'm saying I would suggest that you to sit down and try to write out your story, simply to get an understanding of how difficult putting together a comprehensive discussion of what happened can be.  Write a paper as if someone is going to grade it.  It needs to be clear, logical, and somehow medically and/or scientifically supported.

Our stories simply are not easy to relay to others.  Understanding is hard to come by.  We are trying to explain crazy, the crazy that is a result of the drugs, not something that is really us. 

I really appreciate the effort given by those involved in helping to put this show together and to get it out there. 

There is so much more work to do.             

I just received an invitation to buy "The Benzo Crisis" on iTunes.  It just popped up on this site. :thumbsup: Was that the name of the show aired

last night? 

I would  love to write Lisa or the network to respond to the show and share my story.  If anyone has an email address or a site to which we can post, I'd be grateful for that information. 

I didn't get to watch the show yet but I love the fact that it might have opened up a dialogue.

Klonkar

There's a post on fb and twitter where she accepting patient stories in the post. I think that's the best spot to put it. It's called "The Benzo Crisis" this is life with Lisa Ling

Last night's #ThisIsLife episode is already on iTunes to purchase. Get your permanent copy!

Screen-Shot-2019-10-07-at-11-13-47-AM.png

Yes but it's quite expensive, $22, it's a pitty

Last night's #ThisIsLife episode is already on iTunes to purchase. Get your permanent copy!

It's $3

I literally just spent $2.99. $22.00 is probably for the season. You have the option of purchasing the episode for 2.99.

last night? 

Klonkar

There's a post on fb and twitter where she accepting patient stories in the post. I think that's the best spot to put it. It's called "The Benzo Crisis" this is life with Lisa Ling

Here's information w/links where LL's accepting peoples stories.  My question: if you post it, is that going to be viewable for everyone on twitter, instagram or facebook to view?  Just medication history, never mind any healthcare/personal backstory, may be lengthy in (a lot?) of cases to make a "post".  Just be concise & maybe you'll be contacted for further information(?)  I have no ideas how this works.  How was Krissy "discovered" to be interviewed for this episode? 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=230038.0

Thanks to any/all who have greater knowledge of Twitter, Instagram & Facebook than I.  :)

Last nights 'revelations' didn't even make it to CNN's main page, much less any others.

I did learn that "Actress sought Princess Margaret's blessing via psychic for 'The Crown'"

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

quiet

50 new people registered for BB in Introductions today, October 7, after the Lisa Ling documentary aired. And the day has barely begun.

Perhaps members can help the team by being a bit more active on the forum for awhile to answer questions they see in posts.

The team and Colin are on top of Introductions, responding quickly and that’s great. 

Good luck to the team!

Sofa

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

how much more is this than the usual number of daily new registrants?

People are freaking out about this. They are so scared their Benzos are going to be taken away. This is the only thing any stranger who has "approached" me wants to talk to me about.

People are freaking out about this. They are so scared their Benzos are going to be taken away. This is the only thing any stranger who has "approached" me wants to talk to me about.

maybe they're worried cause they aren't tapering off, or they don't ever plan to, maybe they haven't realized the injury it will do to them yet...so of course they don't want it taken away, they're still in the honeymoon phase of benzo use. maybe

last night? 

Klonkar

Here's information w/links where LL's accepting peoples stories.  My question: if you post it, is that going to be viewable for everyone on twitter, instagram or facebook to view?  Just medication history, never mind any healthcare/personal backstory, may be lengthy in (a lot?) of cases to make a "post".  Just be concise & maybe you'll be contacted for further information(?)  I have no ideas how this works.  How was Krissy "discovered" to be interviewed for this episode? 

Thanks to any/all who have greater knowledge of Twitter, Instagram & Facebook than I.  :)

Krissy answers about her experience in this video:

So sad. I've been reading some of the introductions of people joining and its heartbreaking how they are suffering and some on such high doses. This is Life with Lisa Ling is actually one of my favorite shows but its not the type of show where they will do double episodes. They kind of hit on a topic once and thats it. I wish there was a way to get this covered further and all these people coming forward now.

last night? 

Klonkar

Krissy answers about her experience in this video:

watched this last night after the show and it is excellent. also the other video that was on after the show on BIC