This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

For me, one of the big things that distinguished this piece from others -- e.g. Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil -- is the Lisa Ling's visible reaction to what she was learning. She was moved. She wasn't sensationalizing it or distancing herself from it in a clinical or TV-show-host sort of way (think Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil). The fact that her own father had had a reaction to the medication or withdrawal from it meant she had some skin in the game. Unlike the TV doctors, she showed a capacity to care about the plight of those whose lives had been affected so deeply.

Kudos to those who participated both behind the scenes and in front of the camera. It wasn't an easy piece to do from either side of the camera, I'm sure.

There's always more to do. Of course, there is. But I'm really glad that this piece was done and that at least part of the story was told.

And that's a fair point about how Drs Oz or Phil would have approached the subject. But I don't think anyone here is totally disparaging the show. We just have differing personalities, perspectives, and hopes for such a show, that's all.

Again I agree here too, and thanks. I never meant to knock the show (or the producers, writers, journalist, etc.) and I am thankful for it actually--I believe it's a great start but still believe more could have been explained and covered about the depth and scope of the severe and life-threatening, disabling problems of iatrogenic injury by way of benzodiazepine prescription. This shouldn't be offensive, in my opinion, that some of us weren't fully satisfied. To state that individuals harmed are labeled addicts quite often or that we have no clue how long sometimes severely debilitating side-effects can persist, these kinds of realities of the crisis we all face that are easily said/not a challenge to explain and are not necessarily boring facts are missing pieces I really feel no one needs to be offended by when being pointed out.

Doesn't it make sense that we would want to discuss and highlight our experiences in hopes that someday others will understand who are our loved ones and friends, or for professionals so that at some point we could have better support? These all seem like reasonable points of discussion to me, and not at all offensive.

Hear, hear.  :clap: I've left my review on pg. 18 & feedback from some I'd requested view the program on pg. 22.  In other posts pg. 22 &/or beyond, I referenced the Krissy Q&A on youtube & the P.A. from BIC on youtube.  All more educational & informative than what aired.  Apparently, there are some(?) here who may have participated in it, behind the scenes & they're taking umbrage due to the work involved in the program.  I posted that is fine, but most here are not aware of what goes into making a documentary/tv production & even more importantly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I have also taken to requesting in posts that people kindly be civil to each other, which, apparently/unfortunately/sadly, some folks need to be reminded of.  It's great to be passionate/enthusiastic about something, but be respectful of others.  Y'know..."Treat others as you wish to be treated".  ;)  :thumbsup:

Definitely agree Cuz, also that posters need not become mutinous because of differing thoughts and feelings on any matter. I don't think it's too much to ask. Why one would become cutthroat defensive, seeing that an opinion does not a master make, is borderline insanity to me. Debate, discussion and personal opinion have nothing to do with disrespect or personal attack.. in my opinion.

I do not find it offensive that we should all not have identical views on any one topic, I'm thankful that I'm not alone in this. As a matter of fact I find it almost comforting that we all don't constantly agree, I think that would be sort of a twilight zone unreality if we all decided we had the same opinions. Why is it ever necessary to control the thoughts and feelings of someone else if they are simply stating those which are obviously personal? It's not something I understand, and it would be silly and hypocritical to take offense--I simply don't wish to be controlled. Appreciate that you added your interpretation, and I agree that I appreciate when others are able to hold their own without becoming aggressive or verbally militant.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, one of the big things that distinguished this piece from others -- e.g. Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil -- is the Lisa Ling's visible reaction to what she was learning. She was moved. She wasn't sensationalizing it or distancing herself from it in a clinical or TV-show-host sort of way (think Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil). The fact that her own father had had a reaction to the medication or withdrawal from it meant she had some skin in the game. Unlike the TV doctors, she showed a capacity to care about the plight of those whose lives had been affected so deeply.

Kudos to those who participated both behind the scenes and in front of the camera. It wasn't an easy piece to do from either side of the camera, I'm sure.

There's always more to do. Of course, there is. But I'm really glad that this piece was done and that at least part of the story was told.

And that's a fair point about how Drs Oz or Phil would have approached the subject. But I don't think anyone here is totally disparaging the show. We just have differing personalities, perspectives, and hopes for such a show, that's all.

Again I agree here too, and thanks. I never meant to knock the show (or the producers, writers, journalist, etc.) and I am thankful for it actually--I believe it's a great start but still believe more could have been explained and covered about the depth and scope of the severe and life-threatening, disabling problems of iatrogenic injury by way of benzodiazepine prescription. This shouldn't be offensive, in my opinion, that some of us weren't fully satisfied. To state that individuals harmed are labeled addicts quite often or that we have no clue how long sometimes severely debilitating side-effects can persist, these kinds of realities of the crisis we all face that are easily said/not a challenge to explain and are not necessarily boring facts are missing pieces I really feel no one needs to be offended by when being pointed out.

Doesn't it make sense that we would want to discuss and highlight our experiences in hopes that someday others will understand who are our loved ones and friends, or for professionals so that at some point we could have better support? These all seem like reasonable points of discussion to me, and not at all offensive.

Hear, hear.  :clap: I've left my review on pg. 18 & feedback from some I'd requested view the program on pg. 22.  In other posts pg. 22 &/or beyond, I referenced the Krissy Q&A on youtube & the P.A. from BIC on youtube.  All more educational & informative than what aired.  Apparently, there are some(?) here who may have participated in it, behind the scenes & they're taking umbrage due to the work involved in the program.  I posted that is fine, but most here are not aware of what goes into making a documentary/tv production & even more importantly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I have also taken to requesting in posts that people kindly be civil to each other, which, apparently/unfortunately/sadly, some folks need to be reminded of.  It's great to be passionate/enthusiastic about something, but be respectful of others.  Y'know..."Treat others as you wish to be treated".  ;)  :thumbsup:

Definitely agree Cuz, also that posters need not become mutinous because of differing thoughts and feelings on any matter. I don't think it's too much to ask. Why one would become cutthroat defensive, seeing that an opinion does not a master make, is borderline insanity to me. Debate, discussion and personal opinion have nothing to do with disrespect or personal attack.. in my opinion.

I do not find it offensive that we should all not have identical views on any one topic, I'm thankful that I'm not alone in this. As a matter of fact I find it almost comforting that we all don't constantly agree, I think that would be sort of a twilight zone unreality if we all decided we had the same opinions. Why is it ever necessary to control the thoughts and feelings of someone else if they are simply stating those which are obviously personal? It's not something I understand, and it would be silly and hypocritical to take offense--I simply don't wish to be controlled. Appreciate that you added your interpretation, and I agree that I appreciate when others are able to hold their own without becoming aggressive or verbally militant.

I'm so sorry.  I removed that post; only b/c I also made a post requesting further BIC information & thought my chances of seeing a reply to that might be lessened.  It shouldn't have made a difference, but I can't control how others interpret things.  ;)  Well, it's here now!  :laugh:  Will advise if I do or do not receive my answers!  :D  I'll copy the most important part here: I have also taken to requesting in posts that people kindly be civil to each other, which, apparently/unfortunately/sadly, some folks need to be reminded of.  It's great to be passionate/enthusiastic about something, but be respectful of others.  Y'know..."Treat others as you wish to be treated".   ;)  :thumbsup:  I had actually come back to include that I think other posters, besides those who may have been involved in the show production were being contentious.  I believe Colin & other members did address this, as well.  I probably had a propensity to overthink, prior to both tolerance & post-jump w/d sxs, which has been exacerbated.  That & perhaps, online communities, where I try to faithfully abide by community forum policies/guidelines.  I guess it's the "be a good girl thing"... I don't want to get thrown off or reprimanded.  - And, that's enough into my psyche for 1 day!!  :D;):laugh:  Time to remove myself for some less intense distractions (i.e. some totally vapid tv.)

It's ok Cuz, we're in a war for our lives and sanity with this. It all feels important and I understand intuiting the need to position oneself for best effect on all fronts.

It's been known for a long time. BBC doc from 1987:

This is from 1988....London ITV even went over to Pennsylvania to interview

the Pharma Boss of Wyers. ....watch his reaction.

No real surprise there. Sad, so sad.

I'm just amazed that we have had this information for years.

I wasn't familiar with her style of reporting either. I have not watched the entire show but what I did watch struck me as "sensationalist" stuff. Not that the subject isn't real, it definitely IS and we on BB know that all too well. I am concerned that how this was presented might further hurt already fragile people dealing with benzo wd. Bwd makes you highly susceptible to outside "influences". Hearing, supposedly, that two people died due to benzo wd is not a great thing for us to hear.

Just when you think you have heard everything, something new comes up to slap you in the face.

Okay, fellow benzo warriors: don't let this stop you. You are far stronger than you know yet. Time will be your best friend and in time, you will heal and move on.

east

Here is a link to the YouTube video of the

The Benzo Crisis episode aired 6 October 2019 on CNN on

Lisa Ling - This is Life.

They did a really good job in my opinion.

A major breakthrough in getting our collective story out into mainstream media.

https://youtu.be/Yh54uj6qH98

I emailed the video to all my friends and family and shared it on Facebook.  Maybe they won't bother to watch it, but I feel better about trying to spread the word about the dangers of benzodiazepines.

I sent the link to two of my friends and the one didn't even say he watched it and my other friend said he watched some of it and wondered if the people on there could go to a treatment center or detox.  He doesn't understand about the nerve damage these drugs cause.