Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m going to do what is right for me and not watch it at all. I can only imagine the debates tomorrow. Team be warned.

I don't know why there would be any trouble over this. Of course everyone is going to have their opinions but I think people are going to be very satisfied in general.

We debate whether garlic can send you into a wave :)

True, true. But I think most people will agree that this is a fantastic news piece and a big step for the cause.

I have been here for almost 9 years and I have never seen this much buzz over a media piece. I can't remember there being this much buzz over anything, actually.

And also the real debates will hopefully happen out in the world. And they might get ugly and hurtful. Though probably not as bad as just a shrug and more silence, which is what I fear.

We debate whether garlic can send you into a wave :)

True, true. But I think most people will agree that this is a fantastic news piece and a big step for the cause.

I have been here for almost 9 years and I have never seen this much buzz over a media piece. I can't remember there being this much buzz over anything, actually.

Correct FG

So many ads on Ling's production it was hard to find any coherency.  Really came up short IMHO but better than the silence the subject has received up until now.  Pharma may have a hold on CNN, BTW which would explain the equivocal feel of the piece.  I am so sorry for others who may be triggered by this program.  WBB

I just watched the show.

Lisa Ling hardly covers this in the detail required IMO. For people who don’t understand a thing about benzos, I think they’d  walk away scratching their heads.

Just watch it and see what you think. Full of ads, and rather disjointed.

So many ads on Ling's production it was hard to find an coherency.  Really came up short IMHO but better than the silence the subject has received up until now.  Pharma may have a hold on CNN, BTW which would explain the equivocal feel of the piece.  I am so sorry for others who may be triggered by this program.  WBB

Yes. I watched the leaked version that had no commercials. So much better of a viewing experience.

And also the real debates will hopefully happen out in the world. And they might get ugly and hurtful. Though probably not as bad as just a shrug and more silence, which is what I fear.

QQ,

It’s already way beyond ugly and hurtful when you consider members who have lost their jobs, homes, friends, family and their lives due to suicide.  Time to bring out the ugly...

Oh, and let’s not forget the well established, respected “doctors” who prescribe neurotoxins to small children to curb normal childhood behavior.  Shall we get started on our elderly citizens that are poly drugged in order to mute them? 

Where in the world do we begin?

I’m going to do what is right for me and not watch it at all. I can only imagine the debates tomorrow. Team be warned.

This is what I was mainly referencing when agreeing with quietquiet, when he said we debate garlic on BB...... when Benzogirl commented, "I can only imagine the debates tomorrow. Team be warned."

I doubt there will be any heated debates on BB. If anything, people will be thankful to see that something of substance has been publicized on this way over due topic on benzos.

I personally have not seen it, and look forward to anything that someone has to say on it...we are all entitled to our thoughts and speaking out freely as to how we see/understood something. As long as it isn't defamatory.

This is what I was mainly referencing when agreeing with quietquiet, when he said we debate garlic on BB...... when Benzogirl commented, "I can only imagine the debates tomorrow. Team be warned."

I doubt there will be any heated debates on BB. If anything, people will be thankful to see that something of substance has been publicized on this way over due topic on benzos.

I personally have not seen it, and look forward to anything that someone has to say on it...we are all entitled to our thoughts and speaking out freely as to how we see/understood something. As long as it isn't defamatory.

There has already been some debate on it. It was leaked last week and a link was posted here on BB. Discussion in previous posts.

Lisa Ling hardly covers this in the detail required IMO. For people who don’t understand a thing about benzos, I think they’d  walk away scratching their heads.

My sisters weren't completely clueless but they watched it and it had a big impact on them. I was texting them the whole time. They were shocked to see this other perspective and they were both pissed about it by the end.

Weighing in:

Disclaimer: I worked on this episode so I am biased. I didn't have any say on the final product. Just helping with the process.

My parents watched this. My dad really liked it. He doesn't know much about what happened to me. My mom, who does, thought it was a great start but it's not as severe as I get.

The thing was they were willing to go more extreme, but extremely severe people are too sick/unwilling to be filmed. It's highly unlikely Jonathan would have been well enough to be filmed had he survived.  :( The fact it helped connect something with the less informed member of my family is a big deal. I am hopeful this will open the door to take this topic even further in the future, while probably opening many eyes right now.

Part of me thinks if we showed our worst people everyone would think it's a show about severe mental illness and that would be that. I'm kinda glad they used a relatable to normal humans but still suffering deeply group. I thought the taper part with Krissy was extremely powerful. I think the father part brings in another issue and the confusion around it that is extremely important.

I wish they said that a few people in the YouTube videos are dead. That's BIC and W-BADs youtube and 2/3 are dead:

Lucinda is fortunately living:

Christine and Stephanie are not :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trq-_3r_yBs

Lisa was on facebook expressing her concern about the medical field on video about 15 minutes before the episode. I am so thankful for this human. I am also quite happy with the episode. Brooke did an amazing job as this was her project.

Did they miss a few important points? Yes. But they did a good job of hitting most of the important points and everyone needs to keep in mind that this is the first and only major piece that has at least portrayed this ACCURATELY, and that is HUGE.

Hopefully they will get a good response from this and do a follow up at some point.

Did they miss a few important points? Yes. But they did a good job of hitting most of the important points and everyone needs to keep in mind that this is the first and only major piece that has at least portrayed this ACCURATELY, and that is HUGE.

Hopefully they will get a good response from this and do a follow up at some point.

Yes, it's literally the first mainstream video I've seen that was over 3 minutes and didnt make me curse at the screen and fill w anger. LOL. I feel peaceful and happy we weren't lied about and agreed with nearly everything said. I am so happy with this and I think I will use the copy I'm going to buy on iTunes as soon as it comes out to educate people in the future. I think it's a great approach for newbies and people who may not know anything. We're so entrenched in it we forget what normies understand sometimes.

Yes, it's literally the first mainstream video I've seen that was over 3 minutes and didnt make me curse at the screen and fill w anger. LOL. I feel peaceful and happy we weren't lied about and agreed with nearly everything said. I am so happy with this and I think I will use the copy I'm going to buy on iTunes as soon as it comes out to educate people in the future. I think it's a great approach for newbies and people who may not know anything. We're so entrenched in it we forget what normies understand sometimes.

There have been dozens of articles and shows that talk about benzos in the 9 years I have been here and for the longest time I would hold my breath thinking that maybe someone produced soemthing that I would be able to share with friends and family without them getting the wrong idea but after awhile I pretty much gave up on thinking it would ever happen.

I haven't kept this a secret but today was the first time I really put it out there when I posted about this on facebook. Only got one "like" from someone who I believe has some medical issues of her own, but who knows who saw it with facebook's censorship tactics in full effect. Point is this is the only piece I felt comfortable with sharing with the world to help explain what happened to me.

I'm really pleased with how this show came across. Made my wife and I both cry and nod in agreement. Not as in depth as many of us would like, but I was surprised that they actually depicted (at least partially) the degree of suffering that many of us go/have gone through. The discussion has been opened at a national level now.

There's only so much that can be covered in 48 minutes or so of programming. I'm just thrilled that WE weren't the ones being blamed for once.

Best,

Ed

I'm really pleased with how this show came across. Made my wife and I both cry and nod in agreement. Not as in depth as many of us would like, but I was surprised that they actually depicted (at least partially) the degree of suffering that many of us go/have gone through. The discussion has been opened at a national level now.

There's only so much that can be covered in 48 minutes or so of programming. I'm just thrilled that WE weren't the ones being blamed for once.

Best,

Ed

same here!

i'm glad you and your wife are of one accord and a united force together in this  :thumbsup:

This is the first actual documentary I'd seen about benzos on TV. Thanks to everyone who had a role in making this happen. This is an amazing breakthrough.

I had one serious conversation with a man on twitter who was very angry that his wife's Benzos may be taken from her. He knew EXACTLY how bad that would be. Lisa (or her handle) spoke directly to him, made sure he understood that no one one the show was an "addict." I told him that no one was trying to take his wife's medicine, that we also knew exactly how bad that would be. He was assuaged. I think mostly by her attention. He's a big "fan!"

I think his reaction points out two spots we all knew would be hard, even for those who watched the show. And these will just have to be addressed over and over.

1) This isn't about addicts or pill mills or people copping kpins out in the streets (though if that were happening they deserve help too).

2) People are terrified their meds will be taken from them.

Babyrex: Completely agree with your analysis.

By ugly I meant uninformed arguments about addiction and whether we we are all junkies or just nuts; the usual twitter/reddit kind of arguments. And that can be hard to deal with, because those attitudes are also held by doctors. So it will be hard to hear how many people respond to this if it is in that same vein. And I worry that those are the very same arguments, (i.e. this only happens to those who misuse their pills, these are really underlying conditions of people who are "crazy"), will be used to silence this story.

But you are right, the real ugliness is the pain we and others deal with every single day because of this drug.