Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

In the world of benzodiazepine withdrawal, our knowledge base is almost entirely rooted in one foundational source, and that is The Ashton Manual.  Even though many people have had to rely on modified tapering methods apart from those in the Manual, it is still the gold standard for a majority of patients, and it will always be regarded as the preeminent groundbreaking work in benzo withdrawal.  Therefore, I wish there would have been at least some brief mention of the Ashton Manual on last night's program.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that if Dr. Ashton were still alive and had watched last night's program, she may well have felt slighted.  -Jeff

I saw it for free today on YouTube. I was disappointed 😔. It made us look like lunatics.

How do you mean?

To us it was fine. But to new people uneducated it might have seemed we are weird. Too much time spent on the suicide and liquid titration with that syringe. Pictures of her dad shaking. And the old adage that wasn’t addressed is why don’t people get better once they quit the drug?

In the world of benzodiazepine withdrawal, our knowledge base is almost entirely rooted in one foundational source, and that is The Ashton Manual.  Even though many people have had to rely on modified tapering methods apart from those in the Manual, it is still the gold standard for a majority of patients, and it will always be regarded as the preeminent groundbreaking work in benzo withdrawal.  Therefore, I wish there would have been at least some brief mention of the Ashton Manual on last night's program.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that if Dr. Ashton were still alive and had watched last night's program, she may well have felt slighted.  -Jeff

agreed. :'( :-\:( hadn't even considered it til you mentioned it...how could we forget her so quickly?

I was lucky with the psychiatrist and pharmacist that oversaw my taper. But interestingly enough, neither of them had ever heard of Ashton. I'm not sure where they learned about the process of tapering, possibly indirectly from Ashton? I don't know. Tapering people off psych meds is a common practice, not solely for benzos.

Watched the CNN benzo show.  I feel like those ladies at 3:00 who shake all the time and the one said she can't function anymore.  I sent links of the Youtube to four people.  It's good she did this.  I hope there are other shows on now for more awareness.

Thinkstopthink

Can you say how you found the pharmacist helpful? Was this a compounding pharmacy?

quiet

Hi Quietquiet,

No, it wasn't a compounding pharmacy. She works in a clinic that I go to where I see my psychiatrist and therapist. A one stop shop, I guess.

She did all the math and calculated the dosages for the taper. I also had monthly appointments with her to check on how the taper was progressing and if I needed to hold or not—that seemed to be her main function. She asked a lot of detailed questions about how I was feeling, etc. And, she "prescribed" that I come to the clinic and go for a walk (she knew I liked to exercise) with her and another of her coworkers when they went out at lunchtime.

In hindsight, after reading so many other people's stories, I realize that I've been very luck with my mental health team.

Here's my review.  I've been on benzos nearly 30 years.  I thought is was about as good as we could have hoped for being that the show was done by a woman who has never gone through this.  I believe that's the only way to get the proper perspective.  Honestly, I was surprised at how good it was, even though it made me angry and cuss out the people on the screen at times (and I'm not supposed to ever cuss and rarely do).  Okay, so I said the show was good and better than I expected which it was.  I'm too messed up right now to give examples of the things and comments that were seen and heard that I thought were very good, but there were many.

All that being said, I have a few negative comments as well.  (keep in mind I only saw parts because I got so emotional I had to stop)  I felt the main core topic that was missed was the actual suffering.  They didn't even scratch the surface of how bad the suffering is.  That's the main thing that greatly disappointed me.  The other thing was that they made it sound like Doctors don't understand it, and don't know what to do.  Generally speaking, this is not true.  Most of them play dumb and/or ditch their patients.  I'll spare you all the real negative comments I have.

Over all, I'm glad the show was aired, and think it will make a difference in the lives of some, so how could we be against it?

Kindly,

j

I saw it for free today on YouTube. I was disappointed 😔. It made us look like lunatics.

How do you mean?

To us it was fine. But to new people uneducated it might have seemed we are weird. Too much time spent on the suicide and liquid titration with that syringe. Pictures of her dad shaking. And the old adage that wasn’t addressed is why don’t people get better once they quit the drug?

Agree w/part I've highlighted in purple.  I gave a full review on pg. 18 & feedback from some folks who I'd asked to view the program, on pg. 22, which illustrates that the program neither resonated with, nor educated those w/out prior benzo knowledge.  Also, on pg. 22 I addressed that folks here should be attempting to view their perception of the program from outside of themselves/their own experience - they've been "in it" probably conducting research, perhaps reading books, communicating on BB.  If this program is your first exposure to anything benzo: what a benzo is, what a benzo withdrawal is, etc. this show very far from hit any home-run.  I think those here who are thinking it was great, are just so overjoyed that anyone has paid this any notice at all.  But, the show jumped from someone who'd been poly-drugged, cold-turkeyed & committed suicide to Krissy, who did liquid titration, skipping over a dry-cut taper, other than 1 sentence re: dry-cut per an MDs instructions of a 4 week taper; nothing about long-term dry-cuts, which is how many do this; some for months, possibly many, & can be up to a year or more. - Which is the vital part that needed to be communicated: that a benzo w/d cannot be done (successfully) via standard w/d treatment plans &/or centers or doctors doing, as Krissy's, rapid tapers-which they believe is fine, in that it isn't a CT-which are much too quick for a benzo w/d: The system & protocols need to change.  Selective reporting.  The dry cut wouldn't have been as sensationalistic/dramatic (like opening w/a suicide.)  Thankfully, Krissy was calm & well-spoken.  Anyone who doesn't have any prior knowledge on this situation will just have seen a syringe, which, unless they happen to be a diabetic requiring insulin via injections, is going to have an extremely negative connotation & will even further confuse the situation, too, as people (w/out prior knowledge) will likely think "benzo's are injected"?  I did not do liquid titration & I was confused  ??? - I'd thought it was converted to drink, but nowhere in that segment was the drinking part made clear (unless I missed it :-\  Another member did confirm to me, on pg. 19 that it is indeed drank. (That's correct spelling; I looked it up, drank being the verb for past tense drink; drunk is adjective for state of inebriation.)

It was also irresponsible to air Krissy saying there are no doctors on BB.  It was meant in a professional capacity, but that wasn't crystal clear, either.  This is an anonymous site.  She can't say, w/any authority there are no doctors here, themselves, as benzo-dependents.  We know from BIC & other benzo organizations that this has occurred to doctors, themselves, too.  At least one of them has a blog; I think I've actually come across 2.  Additionally, one MD is on the board of BIC, others on their Advisory Committee & the founder was working on a Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology.  Maybe that should even have been mentioned.

There could/should have been an "alert" @ end of program, featuring Benzodiazepene organizations, to direct people to for further information/donations. 

(And, why weren't any of the BIC medical professionals on the program?  Only Krissy.  Conflict of interest?)

How do you mean?

Agree w/part I've highlighted in purple.  I gave a full review on pg. 18 & feedback from some folks who I'd asked to view the program, on pg. 22, which illustrates that the program neither resonated with, nor educated those w/out prior benzo knowledge.  Also, on pg. 22 I addressed that folks here should be attempting to view their perception of the program from outside of themselves/their own experience - they've been "in it" probably conducting research, perhaps reading books, communicating on BB.  If this program is your first exposure to anything benzo: what a benzo is, what a benzo withdrawal is, etc. this show very far from hit any home-run.  I think those here who are thinking it was great, are just so overjoyed that anyone has paid this any notice at all.  But, the show jumped from someone who'd been poly-drugged, cold-turkeyed & committed suicide to Krissy, who did liquid titration, skipping over a dry-cut taper, other than 1 sentence re: dry-cut per an MDs instructions of a 4 week taper; nothing about long-term dry-cuts, which is how many do this; some for months, possibly many, & can be up to a year or more.  Selective reporting.  The dry cut wouldn't have been as sensationalistic/dramatic (like opening w/a suicide.)  Thankfully, Krissy was calm & well-spoken.  Anyone who doesn't have any prior knowledge on this situation will just have seen a syringe, which, unless they happen to be a diabetic requiring insulin via injections, is going to have an extremely negative connotation & will even further confuse the situation, too, as people (w/out prior knowledge) will likely think "benzo's are injected"?  I did not do liquid titration & I was confused - I'd thought it was converted to drink, but nowhere in that segment was the drinking part made clear (unless I missed it :-\  Another member did confirm to me, on pg. 19 that it is indeed drank.)  It was also irresponsible to air Krissy saying there are no doctors on BB.  It was meant in a professional capacity, but that wasn't made clear.  This is an anonymous site.  She can't say, w/any authority there are no doctors here, themselves, as benzo-dependents.  We know from BIC & other benzo organizations that this has occurred to doctors, themselves, too.  One of them has a blog.

good point...this could scare folks away from liquid titration if they think they have to use syringes with needles, not the kind we actually use. that part was confusing. i really liked how Krissy was calm and eloquent. that speaks volumes for us.  sigh so many conflicting thoughts

It didnt relate to my situation too well... -I didnt expect it too...

For what it was, I think they did a good job, an importantly didnt throw fuel on the addiction fire, or other common misconceptions like patient blaming...

Standing back, my take was that if one was unaware and having problems, it connected some dots.. And if that is the case, then one might find it prudent to get up to speed sooner rather than later...

-A very personal journey often ensues...

I finally got a chance to see this yesterday. I found one of the YouTube uploads. I do wish I hadn't viewed it at work as I was crying at my desk which was a bit challenging to stifle. A few of my co-workers did inquire, and I talked a little, explaining that the premise of the show was the reason I disappeared from work for a year in 2012/2013.

I would think it challenging to capture the full scope of the benzodiazapine issue within a 40 minute primetime slot. So at its base, I felt it did capture immense human suffering resulting from something we'd sought to bring us less suffering. And for me, that was what was emotionally evocative and led to my tears. I saw at least portions of my withdrawal in all of those profiled - both the major profiles, and minor. It could have easily been me recording myself in the car, crying, and hoping for days free from the unbounded anxiety and depression. The shaking and inner vibrating. The dark thoughts. The sense of being alone. The suffering...

Because our nervous systems are all different, it manifests individually in all of us. But at it's core, we all share the one common bond - that is the bond of suffering, at times indescribably, from a substance that was served to us as a medication.

Hang in there,

Dave

It didnt relate to my situation too well... -I didnt expect it too...

For what it was, I think they did a good job, an importantly didnt throw fuel on the addiction fire, or other common misconceptions like patient blaming...

Standing back, my take was that if one was unaware and having problems, it connected some dots.. And if that is the case, then one might find it prudent to get up to speed sooner rather than later...

-A very personal journey often ensues...

This is what I think too. There was not probably room for much more in that kind of program and time slot. But I think physical problems should have been given a little more attention. Many of us suffer horribly from physical pain and are bed-ridden for months or in some cases years, which was not mentioned.

Agree w/part I've highlighted in purple.  I gave a full review on pg. 18 & feedback from some folks who I'd asked to view the program, on pg. 22, which illustrates that the program neither resonated with, nor educated those w/out prior benzo knowledge.  Also, on pg. 22 I addressed that folks here should be attempting to view their perception of the program from outside of themselves/their own experience - they've been "in it" probably conducting research, perhaps reading books, communicating on BB.  If this program is your first exposure to anything benzo: what a benzo is, what a benzo withdrawal is, etc. this show very far from hit any home-run.  I think those here who are thinking it was great, are just so overjoyed that anyone has paid this any notice at all.  But, the show jumped from someone who'd been poly-drugged, cold-turkeyed & committed suicide to Krissy, who did liquid titration, skipping over a dry-cut taper, other than 1 sentence re: dry-cut per an MDs instructions of a 4 week taper; nothing about long-term dry-cuts, which is how many do this; some for months, possibly many, & can be up to a year or more. - Which is the vital part that needed to be communicated: that a benzo w/d cannot be done (successfully) via standard w/d treatment plans &/or centers or doctors doing, as Krissy's, rapid tapers-which they believe is fine, in that it isn't a CT-which are much too quick for a benzo w/d: The system & protocols need to change.  Selective reporting.  The dry cut wouldn't have been as sensationalistic/dramatic (like opening w/a suicide.)  Thankfully, Krissy was calm & well-spoken.  Anyone who doesn't have any prior knowledge on this situation will just have seen a syringe, which, unless they happen to be a diabetic requiring insulin via injections, is going to have an extremely negative connotation & will even further confuse the situation, too, as people (w/out prior knowledge) will likely think "benzo's are injected"?  I did not do liquid titration & I was confused  ??? - I'd thought it was converted to drink, but nowhere in that segment was the drinking part made clear (unless I missed it :-\  Another member did confirm to me, on pg. 19 that it is indeed drank.)

It was also irresponsible to air Krissy saying there are no doctors on BB.  It was meant in a professional capacity, but that wasn't crystal clear, either.  This is an anonymous site.  She can't say, w/any authority there are no doctors here, themselves, as benzo-dependents.  We know from BIC & other benzo organizations that this has occurred to doctors, themselves, too.  At least one of them has a blog; I think I've actually come across 2.  Additionally, one MD is on the board of BIC, others on their Advisory Committee & the founder was working on a Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology.  Maybe that should even have been mentioned.

There could/should have been an "alert" @ end of program, featuring Benzodiazepene organizations, to direct people to for further information/donations. 

(And, why weren't any of the BIC medical professionals on the program?  Only Krissy.  Conflict of interest?)

I saw the show a couple of days before it aired. My instant reaction (which I relayed to some of the team) was that it was 'information-lite'. And I have no idea why titration was highlighted that way. It is a minority necessity, even for a self-selecting bunch of generally tougher cases at BB.

Yes, Krissy seemed quite stable, but there was an air of obsessiveness about her and the way titration was portrayed. Though, this is not criticism of Krissy or titration per se. I have written before that titration is a mixed bag. It does allow for smaller cuts to dose than via pill-splitting, and this can be very useful. On the flip-side, it can encourage obsessiveness - that can be counterproductive. But even saying that, for someone who has had a really tough time with previous attempts to taper, that very obsessiveness might actually be positive it if allows the individual to feel that they are more in control. There are a lot of complicated issues around titration - I really do think it would have been better to not include an unusual situation and instead concentrate on the fact that for many, a controlled, relatively lengthy withdrawal taper (via pill-splitting) is all that is required. This would have the added benefit that it is what doctors do with their patients every day. Instead, the show risks alienating professional healthcare providers rather than help bring them into the fold, as it were.

I have no idea why Lisa Ling's father and her relationship with him was made into an important element of the show. Benzodiazpines may or may not have played a part in what he experienced. What we can say is that elderly patients sometimes (or often) metabolise benzodiazepine very slowly, so blood levels can skyrocket, even when taking a reasonably modest dose. That may be an explanation for what he experienced, but really it is a side issue to how benzodiazepiens are generally over-prescribed, more often than not for far longer than allowed by the guidelines, and the general lack of acknowledgement for the potential negative effects of this class of drugs.

I am not sure what was the point of the show, apart from to entertain. The show certainly helped raise the profile of the problems surrounding benzodiazepines, but it wasn't very balanced, and was low on information. I don't know what else to say. It could have been a lot better, but from what I've seen of Lisa Ling, this was par for the course.

People are freaking out about this. They are so scared their Benzos are going to be taken away. This is the only thing any stranger who has "approached" me wants to talk to me about.

Doctors have been moving away from prescribing Benzos long term for years. You can see that a lot of people here started tapering because their doctor forced them to taper or their previous doctor retired and they couldn’t find another one who would prescribe benzos. Part of this is because GPs don’t want to deal with the hassle of prescribing benzos. Also, the patent on a lot of these drugs expired years ago so drug manufacturers just don’t make that much money from them. Instead, drug representatives are pushing doctors to prescribe more expensive drugs onto the consumer.

The whole reason I started tapering was because I was afraid I would be cut off and I didn’t want to have to taper in a very short period of time.

However, I don’t think last night’s episode is going to cause any kind of shift in terms of taking these drugs away from long term users.

I do think an unintended consequence will be long term users tapering off too quickly because they are now scared to take them. Last night’s episode was very vague about how long it takes to taper off these drugs. 4 weeks was deemed inadequate but there are people here who need years to taper off of these drugs.

Heavy emphasis was placed on not stopping the medication abruptly so hopefully people paid close attention to that.

I will also say that unlike most people here, benzos were a positive addition to my life. I had severe social anxiety and depression for 8 years before I started taking them. They really did help me get a grip on my anxiety and helped turn my life around.

Short term I think they can be helpful. I know my mom had horrific insomnia a couple of years ago and a two week Ativan prescription really helped.

You both raise an important point. We know that benzodiazepines are often taken away from patients without their consent. It is certainly important for doctors to act in the best interests of their patients. But this includes taking into account the possible negative effects of withholding medications upon which the patient might be dependent. It seems that some doctors are taking their patients off benzodiazepines because they fear possible lawsuits. So long as they prescribe sensibly in the first place, only vary from guidelines for very good reason (the details of which should appear in patient notes), and take a balanced approach in reviewing longer term use or withdrawal, there really should be no problem. I suggest that a patient fearing benzodiazepine withdrawal is a perfectly valid reason to continue the prescription. Or, at least, it should be a large part of the discussion and decision in the continuing care of the patient.

I also suggest that there must be balance on subject as a whole. Just because some or many patients do not fair well on benzodiazepines, particularly after extended use, this does not mean that benzodiazepines do not have positive benefits for some, even on an extended basis. A lack of care in prescribing, or a lack of care in removing these medications, and a general lack of nuance on both sides of the argument leads to crappy consequences for individual patients.

For these reasons, BB is not actually an anti-benzodiazepine website. We are here to provide support for members in their use and withdrawal of benzodiazepines. For most of us here, this means help with tapers and moral support in achieving a goal of being free of benzos. But this is not true for all members. Members are supported in whatever decision they take. If a member decides to reinstate, and so long as it is a considered decision, there should be no discouragement. We each, in consultation with our doctors, are in charge of our personal healthcare needs. Each of our situations are different, and our goals might vary.

The BB Mission Statement:

BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals.

Edit: typos.

Agree w/part I've highlighted in purple.  I gave a full review on pg. 18 & feedback from some folks who I'd asked to view the program, on pg. 22, which illustrates that the program neither resonated with, nor educated those w/out prior benzo knowledge.  Also, on pg. 22 I addressed that folks here should be attempting to view their perception of the program from outside of themselves/their own experience - they've been "in it" probably conducting research, perhaps reading books, communicating on BB.  If this program is your first exposure to anything benzo: what a benzo is, what a benzo withdrawal is, etc. this show very far from hit any home-run.  I think those here who are thinking it was great, are just so overjoyed that anyone has paid this any notice at all.  But, the show jumped from someone who'd been poly-drugged, cold-turkeyed & committed suicide to Krissy, who did liquid titration, skipping over a dry-cut taper, other than 1 sentence re: dry-cut per an MDs instructions of a 4 week taper; nothing about long-term dry-cuts, which is how many do this; some for months, possibly many, & can be up to a year or more. - Which is the vital part that needed to be communicated: that a benzo w/d cannot be done (successfully) via standard w/d treatment plans &/or centers or doctors doing, as Krissy's, rapid tapers-which they believe is fine, in that it isn't a CT-which are much too quick for a benzo w/d: The system & protocols need to change.  Selective reporting.  The dry cut wouldn't have been as sensationalistic/dramatic (like opening w/a suicide.)  Thankfully, Krissy was calm & well-spoken.  Anyone who doesn't have any prior knowledge on this situation will just have seen a syringe, which, unless they happen to be a diabetic requiring insulin via injections, is going to have an extremely negative connotation & will even further confuse the situation, too, as people (w/out prior knowledge) will likely think "benzo's are injected"?  I did not do liquid titration & I was confused  ??? - I'd thought it was converted to drink, but nowhere in that segment was the drinking part made clear (unless I missed it :-\  Another member did confirm to me, on pg. 19 that it is indeed drank.)

I saw the show a couple of days before it aired. My instant reaction (which I relayed to some of the team) was that it was 'information-lite'. And I have no idea why titration was highlighted that way. It is a minority necessity, even for a self-selecting bunch of generally tougher cases at BB.

Yes, Krissy seemed quite stable, but there was an air of obsessiveness about her and the way titration was portrayed. Though, this is not criticism of Krissy or titration per se. I have written before that titration is a mixed bag. It does allow for smaller cuts to dose than via pill-splitting, and this can be very useful. On the flip-side, it can encourage obsessiveness - that can be counterproductive. But even saying that, for someone who has had a really tough time with previous attempts to taper, that very obsessiveness might actually be positive it if allows the individual to feel that they are more in control. There are a lot of complicated issues around titration - I really do think it would have been better to not include an unusual situation and instead concentrate on the fact that for many, a controlled, relatively lengthy withdrawal taper (via pill-splitting) is all that is required. This would have the added benefit that it is what doctors do with their patients every day. Instead, the show risks alienating professional healthcare providers rather than help bring them into the fold, as it were.

I have no idea why Lisa Ling's father and her relationship with him was made into an important element of the show. Benzodiazpines may or may not have played a part in what he experienced. What we can say is that elderly patients sometimes (or often) metabolise benzodiazepine very slowly, so blood levels can skyrocket, even when taking a reasonably modest dose. That may be an explanation for what he experienced, but really it is a side issue to how benzodiazepiens are generally over-prescribed, more often than not for far longer than allowed by the guidelines, and the general lack of acknowledgement for the potential negative effects of this class of drugs.

I am not sure what was the point of the show, apart from to entertain. The show certainly helped raise the profile of the problems surrounding benzodiazepines, but it wasn't very balanced, and was low on information. I don't know what else to say. It could have been a lot better, but from what I've seen of Lisa Ling, this was par for the course.

Thank you for posting your viewpoints on the show.  I only wish it had come about 4 days prior to broadcast.  Had I read this, I more than likely, would not have requested folks to tune in.  I was unfamiliar with Lisa Ling's reporting, so did not realize this would be reported in a sensationalistic, or irresponsible fashion, as would seem to be suggested as "par for the course".  I thought I'd read from others here that Lisa Ling would handle it in a conscientious fashion.  I was cringing inside while viewing the show.  (Please posters, don't ask me why...read a whole post & you'll see in the quote contained in Colin's post that I've already given my views & feedback of those who did tune in, on pages 18 & 22.)  However, I do disagree with what I've highlighted, in purple.  This is not what doctors are doing w/people every day; hence, part of the issues which need addressing/correcting.  Some doctors are just stopping prescriptions (irresponsible/negligent); cutting people off or tapering much too rapidly, causing even larger problems.  What this program should have been addressing.  One of the largest cruxes of the whole crisis, which needed to have the brightest light shone on it.  - And, benzo-cooperative doctors seem to be almost mythical creatures. -

Also, encourage you/others to view Krissy's Q&A on youtube, in the event you haven't already.  The first 2 minutes contained the most critical information of all = broken central nervous system, which wasn't broadcast, at all.  ::)

Colin

Benzos have messed me up so bad (for nearly 30 years) I wasn’t even able to give an accurate point of view on the show.  (Sept bout not portraying n describing the real depths of the suffering and the false representation of the way doctors help their patients n view the use of benzos.)

One of the tragic things benzos has done to me is warp my perception immensely while trying to communicate with people, and take things in accurately, but after reading only a fraction of your comments here n meditating on them...I agree (at least with your posts I read) whole heartedly.

Thanks for helping me think more clearly n accurately about the show.

Me, personally, I believe the show didn’t do us, or the people at large any real and true and accountable justice.

Kindly

j

Any way to get the Administrators here to make this a "Thumbnail" or whatever is proper term for similar to that "FED Medwatch Program/Please Participate" in upper right of Community page? 

I only found this information through community wanderings & finding a link to this thread, from another.  And, this is Very Important information for bb members to have.  Is that trailer video on youtube, or only available by going through facebook or instagram? 

Media fail.  This show should be advertised on programming; not just people finding it by way of online.  And, yes, put faces on benzo dependency: professionals, housewives, retirees.  Stress dependency not addiction.  Of course, many of us are struggling too much to participate at all.  I've been "absent from life" entirely.  I haven't been further than my mailbox in 2 years. I look bedraggled/like a homeless person. I look nothing like who I was 2 years ago.  Looking as I do now, maybe, I'd be just the right depiction...to scare the medical profession into greater action of educating about this crisis - to the medical professionals, in particular.  And, therein lies one paradox.  The folks who are most paralyzed/crippled by this wouldn't be able to participate & the ones who are recovered enough, won't look as ruined as while in it.

..."Still feel the medical professionals, themselves, need to be further educated.  They've been prescribing these meds for at least 25 years, now...longer, counting valium & what's occurring now is that doctors' are just stopping prescriptions.  So, news of the dangers of benzo's are now known, but not how to responsibly & compassionately taper their patients off.  This is just cold-blooded treatment for the benzo-dependents that doctors & pharmaceuticals have created.  I would love to actually see a physician who is knowledgable & one who I feel I'd be able to trust, after feeling betrayed by the doctor who both put me on ativan, prescribed @ a high dosage for over a decade & then gave 1 extra refill w/news of stopping prescribing. - I feel, b/c he must have been questioned by new uber-group who'd absorbed his smaller group practice & been questioned why still prescribing - The only doctor I've seen in the last 3 years is ER doctor in April, so that was not at all a comprehensive medical visit & I did not speak of benzo at all.  I've seen far too many posts here that any sxs are not recognized by the medical professions as being benzo or benzo w/d-related.

I'm tired of "treating myself" & finding my only reliable sources on this travesty being through an online community of strangers w/out medical experience; only the same, or similar, dire circumstances.  Let's be honest: That's a scary situation.  I'm in constant pain..  No feeling better, nor even leveling off; rather, worsening.  What's additionally scary is that throughout searches here, I am not finding anyone else w/worsening pain.  And, then, again, that hopeless feeling of "So what, even if I do find a compatriot in this awful battle, w/that particular similarity; unless it's someone who's been in the medical field, it's still an online stranger".  And, this is the "best there is".  This is gross negligence on the part of doctors."

Thanks for posting about this & I will watch.  This is important.

Hey Cuz,

Your words are so true and this issue IS lurking in the shadows bc we are either too down to be open or too far gone and good to care anymore.

I am thinking very strongly about opening some video platforms for help and awareness.

I think it is also very needed in this community and as terrible as I often feel, I am steadfast with hope most days.

I just want you to know your words were spoken with truth and they inspire me dearly.

Thank you for saying them

I wish you so much healing and happiness, knowing you will one day return to your vital glory.

So much love,

Heather Elizabeth

Somebody already linked this somehow on this site and I watched it. The link no longer works. Its helpful somewhat but it doesn't go too in depth and mainly it talks about the dangers of tapering off too quick and what can happen during w/d and how benzo w/d might play a role in suicides but it never talks about how long w/d lasts are gives benzos all the credit they deserve in destroying lives. I love her and this show in general but I was hoping it would really shed better light on the issue. Its kinda hard to watch because it shows several people suffering and you know what they are going thru and how long it can last but the show doesn't show that it can go on and on like this.

I keep writing similar today but couldn't even get into description because of how disappointed and hurt I also feel that it failed in all of these areas. It didn't go into how extensive the withdrawal symptoms list is or how devastating each one is and can truly be, and what it is like to have a combination of them happening daily for sometimes years. It didn't cover how some people can't even taper slow enough or that they reach such a tolerance that no amount of benzo in their system is of any help at all. It doesn't cover how none of us know how long our symptoms will last, or what happens when we can't work at all or socialize, none of these things. What about those forced to work and/or raise kids, or take care of aging and dying relatives? What about those of us who become homeless as a result...? And it didn't cover a whole lot more.

What about the part regarding being labeled an addict by prescribers and pharmacists, or when a doctor doesn't even write the script and schedule an appointment in time to cover even a 30 day supply and the patient is waiting in a living hell nightmare of an experience while being gaslit by the medical profession and can't even be sure their prescription will be covered. What about walking into the pharmacy and you are about to fall on the floor or pass out, eyes wild, being tortured internally in ways no one even came close to describing on that segment? What about these things.

I am extremely tired, etc. from my symptoms and from being at this for three (plus) years. And to think, there are those of us here who have it continue for 5, 8, 10 yrs. Ha! Yeah right I'm excited and satisfied. Nonplused is more like it. Thankful that something is out at all, finally. That's about how I feel. And I like the series too, and also like Lisa Ling as a reporter.

F*ing hell. This was and is nowhere near close to good enough...

"in my opinon." <-- Why do so many of us seem to think we always need to say that here, myself included? It's getting redundant and can't we all begin to ever accept the implicit as a community. It's ludicrous. OF course it's my f*ing opinion. What other option do I have but to have one opinion that is my own, and why do I need to state this. We should all be intellectually and emotionally capable as adults of figuring these things out. Last time I'm typing it!

Mon P,

You ARE correct.

We need to do better.

I am going to start some video platforms and try to start advocating.

Please, send me all your prayers.

Sending you so much healing love.

Love, Heather Elizabeth