Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

I would love a series showing everything from top to bottom. But it would be an expensive series. I could do an entire episode on tapering. An entire episode on the medical field. I could do one on extent of damage. I could do one on society and how they treat us. I could do one on worsening outcomes. I honestly could spend an entire decade doing this and still would not have told the entire story

Boy....isn't that the truth! You missed one. How U.S. Veterans are affected by this mess.

Veterans are so important. And so impacted. They did talk to a veteran for this show but ended up w people on a localized area. Probably budget related.

There’s so many things to cover. So many. I’m glad we won’t run out of topics. But benzo issue 101 o do think is covered here

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Again I must say this is one of my favorite shows and I love Lisa Ling. The first time I watched it I was a little upset they never really mention how it can take months or years to recover which I think is such an important part of benzo w/d. That is the biggest trouble I'm having almost 8 months off is people including my doctors don't believe I should be feeling bad this long.

That being said the second time I watched it I did think they did a pretty good job and the psychiatrist touches on this but its not really emphasized. I do wish they showed how people are losing their jobs and lives over this. There was a lot more obviously that could have been covered but I'm happy with the fact they got a decent doctor on there saying how it should not me prescribed long term because that seems to be whats happening everywhere.

I'm still irate they quote a hospital saying it should not be used long term and its a doctor at that hospital who prescribed benzos to me long term.

It was a good try but what I found seriously missing was a frank discussion about how long it takes to heal and WHY........

A good "TRY"?? Certainly you mean a good "START"

Its unbelievable to me the lack of respect for those who worked so hard on the show.  I would love for any of the critics to go out there and find and successfully contact a decent journalist with a national audience, then educate and convince and see the show to fruition.  PLEASE when you've done this - let me know - I can't wait to rush to my computer and criticize your work 

Pill cutting is not news nor does it make a good show -Micro Tapering IS - and this community IS -  these people have ratings to think of.  Lisa Ling is ENTERTAINMENT not NEWS.  The show wanted someone who was sicker with aka.  BIC looked and looked for someone who could demonstrate just how sick people get.  No one was able to do it.  And I understand why.  Krissy spent TWO FULL DAYS with a a camera crew of 6 plus Lisa in her home - this is one of the reasons they had to use videos.  They also have things like journalistic integrity - they can't point the finger only at Benzo's when most people are poly drugged. 

Of course there is more to tell - but you can't throw a torch out there to begin with - you have to first light a candle and let people become curious.  and remember that we patients live in an echo chamber.  the reality is that most of the world has never even heard of a "Benzodiazepine" even if they are TAKING ONE - Lisa's show was the PERFECT introduction to the problem.  I hope you all will take a look at her Facebook, Twitter and Instagram where she's ASKING PATIENTS TO TELL THEIR STORIES and DEFENDING them when people call others addicts........I am just blown away by the criticism here.

Thank you FG and Terry and whomever else has posted positive reviews and supported BIC

Yes, I thought it was a good show - a "good start" at the very least - and I said so twice. But criticizing the show is not disrespectful to anyone at all. On the other hand, your personal attack on other buddies is very disrespectful, below the belt, disgusting, and a violation of forum rules. If you cannot discuss the merits of a television program calmly and sanely, without flaming those who disagree with you, then maybe you should recuse yourself.

Thank you for posting your viewpoints on the show.  I only wish it had come about 4 days prior to broadcast.  Had I read this, I more than likely, would not have requested folks to tune in.  I was unfamiliar with Lisa Ling's reporting, so did not realize this would be reported in a sensationalistic, or irresponsible fashion, as would seem to be suggested as "par for the course".  I thought I'd read from others here that Lisa Ling would handle it in a conscientious fashion.  I was cringing inside while viewing the show.  (Please posters, don't ask me why...read a whole post & you'll see in the quote contained in Colin's post that I've already given my views & feedback of those who did tune in, on pages 18 & 22.)  However, I do disagree with what I've highlighted, in purple.  This is not what doctors are doing w/people every day; hence, part of the issues which need addressing/correcting.  Some doctors are just stopping prescriptions (irresponsible/negligent); cutting people off or tapering much too rapidly, causing even larger problems.  What this program should have been addressing.  One of the largest cruxes of the whole crisis, which needed to have the brightest light shone on it.  - And, benzo-cooperative doctors seem to be almost mythical creatures. -

Also, encourage you/others to view Krissy's Q&A on youtube, in the event you haven't already.  The first 2 minutes contained the most critical information of all = broken central nervous system, which wasn't broadcast, at all.  ::)

My comments was a generalisation about medicines, not benzodiazepines in particular. What I meant was that doctors ween off patients from medicines all the time. Less so with benzodiazepines, and even if they do, often not as slowly as may be required. But the basic premise or weening is completely ordinary to them. Start waving around four bottles of (unnamed) liquid in front of them, and it likely will just turn off some doctors to the wider message.

Thank you for posting your viewpoints on the show.  I only wish it had come about 4 days prior to broadcast.  Had I read this, I more than likely, would not have requested folks to tune in.  I was unfamiliar with Lisa Ling's reporting, so did not realize this would be reported in a sensationalistic, or irresponsible fashion, as would seem to be suggested as "par for the course".  I thought I'd read from others here that Lisa Ling would handle it in a conscientious fashion.  I was cringing inside while viewing the show.  (Please posters, don't ask me why...read a whole post & you'll see in the quote contained in Colin's post that I've already given my views & feedback of those who did tune in, on pages 18 & 22.)  However, I do disagree with what I've highlighted, in purple.  This is not what doctors are doing w/people every day; hence, part of the issues which need addressing/correcting.  Some doctors are just stopping prescriptions (irresponsible/negligent); cutting people off or tapering much too rapidly, causing even larger problems.  What this program should have been addressing.  One of the largest cruxes of the whole crisis, which needed to have the brightest light shone on it.  - And, benzo-cooperative doctors seem to be almost mythical creatures. -

Also, encourage you/others to view Krissy's Q&A on youtube, in the event you haven't already.  The first 2 minutes contained the most critical information of all = broken central nervous system, which wasn't broadcast, at all.  ::)

My comments was a generalisation about medicines, not benzodiazepines in particular. What I meant was that doctors ween off patients from medicines all the time. Less so with benzodiazepines, and even if they do, often not as slowly as may be required. But the basic premise or weening is completely ordinary to them. Start waving around four bottles of (unnamed) liquid in form of them, and it likely will just turn off some doctors to the wider message.

I was not "pro" the liquid titration segment, though I thought Krissy presented very well, calm & well-spoken.  Others here have also stated that it presented in a confusing manner.

I don’t think it should surprise anyone that a group of people whose brains have been injured, forcing them into the most extreme emotional states, might have justifiably intense reactions to the only real depiction of their condition to ever be broadcast by a serious person. This has to be  true for people who undertook the emotional and physical toll of assisting with the production. And it’s also true for those who have felt a complete lack of agency and looked to this to speak for them.  All of our reactions seem pretty reasonable considering how vital this is to us. I can’t even watch the damn thing and I think about it constantly :)

I’m just looking forward to when members of BB start to get involved in what happens next. I feel like this energy needs to be tapped right now.

I watched the show and it made me cry.  I'm so glad there is finally some media coverage about what we are going through.  It has been so difficult for me to convince my family and friends that this is real.  I have sent the You Tube link to them in an email, and I hope they will watch it.  Maybe now they will believe me and spread the word.

"in my opinon." <-- Why do so many of us seem to think we always need to say that here, myself included? It's getting redundant and can't we all begin to ever accept the implicit as a community. It's ludicrous. OF course it's my f*ing opinion. What other option do I have but to have one opinion that is my own, and why do I need to state this. We should all be intellectually and emotionally capable as adults of figuring these things out. Last time I'm typing it!

Well, you do not need to write that. In fact, its use probably signifies a failure in how we have structured our post. We have rule against 'prescriptive' writing. We consider this more important than 'tone'. We should not be in business of telling others wht to do in their personal healthcare. We can express opinions, describe what we or others did, and discuss options, but we should not urge other members in into particular actions or inactions. But, we all fall back on a phrase like 'in my opinion' sometimes, because it can be difficult to consistently write in a non-prescriptive manner. Though, I should add, using 'in my opinion' should not be used a disclaimer. Members cannot write a whole post urging others in particular directions and think that's OK because they started the post with 'In my opinion', you signed off with, 'your mileage might vary'.

Anyway, so long as the post as a whole is structured utilising discussional language, there is no need to include such phrasing.

Quietquiet I agree how can we further this discussion in the media? My benzo brain is too foggy to really write an article or anything still.

For me, one of the big things that distinguished this piece from others -- e.g. Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil -- is the Lisa Ling's visible reaction to what she was learning. She was moved. She wasn't sensationalizing it or distancing herself from it in a clinical or TV-show-host sort of way (think Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil). The fact that her own father had had a reaction to the medication or withdrawal from it meant she had some skin in the game. Unlike the TV doctors, she showed a capacity to care about the plight of those whose lives had been affected so deeply.

Kudos to those who participated both behind the scenes and in front of the camera. It wasn't an easy piece to do from either side of the camera, I'm sure.

There's always more to do. Of course, there is. But I'm really glad that this piece was done and that at least part of the story was told.

And that's a fair point about how Drs Oz or Phil would have approached the subject. But I don't think anyone here is totally disparaging the show. We just have differing personalities, perspectives, and hopes for such a show, that's all.

Members of the show are forum members. This goes both ways bud.

To whom are you responding? What do you mean? A typo, maybe? I don't understand. :-\

My comments was a generalisation about medicines, not benzodiazepines in particular. What I meant was that doctors ween off patients from medicines all the time. Less so with benzodiazepines, and even if they do, often not as slowly as may be required. But the basic premise or weening is completely ordinary to them. Start waving around four bottles of (unnamed) liquid in form of them, and it likely will just turn off some doctors to the wider message.

I was not "pro" the liquid titration segment, though I thought Krissy presented very well, calm & well-spoken.  Others here have also stated that it presented in a confusing manner.

A general explanation that the pills are generally too large in dose to allow for a more comfortable gradual withdrawal. At that point, then, perhaps, mention that some individual even go to the trouble of making up their own liquids to allow them to make smaller cuts. But these liquids, being 'home brews', are not tested for efficacy. But these people are desperate to get off, and desperate to avoid (as best they can) the worst of withdrawal symptoms.

For me, one of the big things that distinguished this piece from others -- e.g. Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil -- is the Lisa Ling's visible reaction to what she was learning. She was moved. She wasn't sensationalizing it or distancing herself from it in a clinical or TV-show-host sort of way (think Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil). The fact that her own father had had a reaction to the medication or withdrawal from it meant she had some skin in the game. Unlike the TV doctors, she showed a capacity to care about the plight of those whose lives had been affected so deeply.

Kudos to those who participated both behind the scenes and in front of the camera. It wasn't an easy piece to do from either side of the camera, I'm sure.

There's always more to do. Of course, there is. But I'm really glad that this piece was done and that at least part of the story was told.

And that's a fair point about how Drs Oz or Phil would have approached the subject. But I don't anyone here is totally disparaging the show. We just have differing personalities, perspectives, and hopes for such a show, that's all.

I'm also coming from a place of experience in terms of getting media attention for something. It's hard work, and it's fraught with challenges because many things are out of the control of those who have a stake in the message that is portrayed to the public.

I have so much respect for the efforts that went into the production of this piece.

It was a good try but what I found seriously missing was a frank discussion about how long it takes to heal and WHY........

The didn't cover this because it isn't known why. I asked my psychiatrist and Dr. Wright the same question and their answer was the same: there is no research on this topic. The very best you will get is speculation.

And, it doesn't seem like there is a set amount of time "to heal." It is probably different for everyone. People that have an easy time of it aren't on this forum.

They don’t know exactly why, but there are certainly some indicators. Such as diet, 💤, the dose, the length of time, the person’s overall health not including benzos, support, and taper rate. Ergo let the patient determine his/her rate. And yada yada

I wish Lisa would have gone and interviewed those women at about 3 minutes into the show she watched online on her computer and that the camera picked up.  Those women were frantic, and couldn't calm down and were walking in place and jerking and the one could barely walk.  The one woman with ceiling fan abover her looked into the camera and said that she can't function.  Lisa Ling said that there were thousands of those vids out and that those people were desperate.  The guy who commited suicide seemed like that too in the last vid. pic of him.  That would have made for a realistic show.  I'm alot like those women are now after getting off the pills.  Can barely walk now and can barely talk either without stuttering, etc.  I've read about alot of bb's on here too who are bedbound, have trouble walking, the body jerking, etc, and suffering really badly every second of every day.  That would have appealed to the masses too, showing how bad off those women are. I'll bet alot of people wouldn't believe it.  I think that would show the truly very dark side of this benzo damage.  I wonder if Lisa and CNN were concerned about being sued by Big Pharma if they REALLY showed how some people were with the benzo's?

I wish Lisa would have gone and interviewed those women at about 3 minutes into the show she watched online on her computer and that the camera picked up.  Those women were frantic, and couldn't calm down and were walking in place and jerking and the one could barely walk.  The one woman with ceiling fan abover her looked into the camera and said that she can't function.  Lisa Ling said that there were thousands of those vids out and that those people were desperate.  The guy who commited suicide seemed like that too in the last vid. pic of him.  That would have made for a realistic show.  I'm alot like those women are now after getting off the pills.  Can barely walk now and can barely talk either without stuttering, etc.  I've read about alot of bb's on here too who are bedbound, have trouble walking, the body jerking, etc, and suffering really badly every second of every day.  That would have appealed to the masses too, showing how bad off those women are. I'll bet alot of people wouldn't believe it.  I think that would show the truly very dark side of this benzo damage.  I wonder if Lisa and CNN were concerned about being sued by Big Pharma if they REALLY showed how some people were with the benzo's?

She interview one. The other two are dead

Where did she interview the one?  How do you know the other two are dead?

The producers did on the phone

Because I know who they are and my org recommended the videos.

Christine and Stephanie. I posted the full videos in this convo and both their stories are on our site.

I have not watched that show yet but do plan to. I think its great that someone well known is speaking up for all of us, bringing the problem into the light of day, instead of shoving to the background. However, I do have some minor worries, as I have received several messages from my personal BB people who were absolutely terrified watching this show. Benzo brains tend to over-react to anything stimulating. But in the long run I am so pleased she did this.

east

Where did she interview the one?  How do you know the other two are dead?

The producers did on the phone

Because I know who they are and my org recommended the videos.

Christine and Stephanie. I posted the full videos in this convo and both their stories are on our site.

I just watched those videos again. Really heartbreaking. Really.  :(

They also have things like journalistic integrity - they can't point the finger only at Benzo's when most people are poly drugged. 

That!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  How often we see people doing quite well after jumping and then sometime later they start tapering their AD or Gabapentin/Lyrica or whatnot.  And suddenly they claim to be in a terrible "wave" or "setback" and all blame is on benzo withdrawal.  And then of course, unfortunate for those of us who do keep it real, but not everyone is honest about their situation so I can only imagine it would be tough to do any accurate and meaningful research based on subjective questionnaires anyway.

The didn't cover this because it isn't known why. I asked my psychiatrist and Dr. Wright the same question and their answer was the same: there is no research on this topic. The very best you will get is speculation.

And, it doesn't seem like there is a set amount of time "to heal." It is probably different for everyone. People that have an easy time of it aren't on this forum.

They don’t know exactly why, but there are certainly some indicators. Such as diet, 💤, the dose, the length of time, the person’s overall health not including benzos, support, and taper rate. Ergo let the patient determine his/her rate. And yada yada

Although I would imagine dose, length of time, and taper method/rate are probably Med Withdrawal 101 (I believe I also saw Dr David Juurlink tweet same), and I could probably add a bunch of other possible factors that come to mind, but in the end, even with all things being equal, what are the chances of any two people sharing the exact same experience? 

At the end of the day, it does all amount to *speculation*. 

Regarding the comments critiquing the show, I agree with so many of the points raised and I, too, would have liked to have seen a bit more of this and a bit less of that, etc.  However, I just cannot criticize the show, I think for mainstream television, it was a fantastic first start!

I wish Lisa would have gone and interviewed those women at about 3 minutes into the show she watched online on her computer and that the camera picked up.  Those women were frantic, and couldn't calm down and were walking in place and jerking and the one could barely walk.  The one woman with ceiling fan abover her looked into the camera and said that she can't function.  Lisa Ling said that there were thousands of those vids out and that those people were desperate.

I'm glad Lisa Ling even showed clips of these videos....there are new ones being posted all the time on Youtube. I appreciated that the clip Lisa showed with Lucinda, did include Lucinda saying, 'I can't function. I was a productive member of society.'

Lisa Ling did say..."These videos are hard to watch."

When Lisa was with Jonathan's parent's and discussing their loss...at one point the camera stayed on Jonathan's mother because Lisa was undoubtedly tearing up. I watched Lisa's facial expressions closely as the subject was so very sad. Her expressions, although subtle, were heartfelt. What a difficult show to have made...for everyone involved.

I'm very concerned about Lucinda. She has really put her all into surviving this nightmare. I'm just glad her voice was heard through a different channel. Granted, it would have been nice to have had some of these people on the show in person. But again, trying to cover this benzo nightmare in 40 minutes and include all angles of it in order to get the benzo issues understood by the masses, is asking the impossible.

I still feel it was really good and obviously drove the point home for many who watched it, because I've read their introduction posts on BB since this Lisa Ling show aired on October 6.

My comments was a generalisation about medicines, not benzodiazepines in particular. What I meant was that doctors ween off patients from medicines all the time. Less so with benzodiazepines, and even if they do, often not as slowly as may be required. But the basic premise or weening is completely ordinary to them. Start waving around four bottles of (unnamed) liquid in front of them, and it likely will just turn off some doctors to the wider message.

I have never known of a doctor who weans a patient off a drug. Every doctor that I've talked to goes way too fast, will tell the patient usually to "just stop taking the drug." I've been to many doctors. They also say to add another drug to counteract the previous drug's problems, so now the patient has two drugs to grapple with.

I wish Lisa would have gone and interviewed those women at about 3 minutes into the show she watched online on her computer and that the camera picked up.

She interview one. The other two are dead

I posted my last comment before I read this. I'm so sorry to hear this about the other two women. How heartbreaking. And to think this has been happening for what I thought was 50 years...but I have seen posts on BB indicating it's been 60 years.

Either way...what an absolute travesty. The amount of suffering that has obviously been hidden for so long.