Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Under .125 Klonopin Club

[Wo...]

Hello- I will be home for the summer so I thought about stopping at .125 mg of Klonopin (on June 20th).  I asked my doctor and this is what he said: “Once you are down to 0.125 daily reasonably comfortably, then I would change to 0.125 mg every other day.  Once you are comfortable at that dose, spread it out to every 3rd day.  Then twice weekly, then you can probably safely and comfortably stop.  Go at the pace that you can, but weekly is probably too quickly to change doses.  Hope that makes sense.”

I have been dry cutting about 1% a day, so I am not sure about the above method... Thoughts?

Hi Lily17 - I was given similar advice by my doctor and it was a horrible experience for me.  That doesn't mean it will be for you, but it didn't work for me.  When I joined here, I had terrible symptoms and shared that I was doing this.  I was told that it is best to have a steady supply of medicine in the bloodstream, and that daily reductions were the way to go.  If you are already dry cutting, would you be comfortable continuing with that method, gradually reducing your daily dosage?  However, if you are not having withdrawal symptoms doing what you are doing, maybe the above method would work for you.  Most people on the forum are struggling with their tapers, but we are the minority.  I'm sure the above method has worked for many others.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Gr...]

• [Kr...]

• [Wo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Lily17- I would NOT follow this advice with klonopin.  I think varying the dosage from day to day can be disastrous in terms of interdose withdrawal. I would much rather cut to .0625 each day, than take .125 every other day.  I also would advise you to go down small cuts from .125mg to .0625.  I know doctors sometimes think there is a magic number, where any amount below that has no therapeutic value, but I  think as you are cutting and going down, you are only doing favors to yourself if you go slow and cut small.  That said, each person is different. 

Flibberty- I wouldn't change the way I'm tapering this late in the game.  Are you going to continue cutting on your trip to Ireland?  What kind of dp/dr are you having?  I had some really bizarre dp last Spring.  I kept feeling like I just popped into this life and was given the memories.  I felt like someone else had lived my life up till now.  It's a super weird feeling.

KristinM-  It's good to hear from you.  Ah yes, the chemistry set.  My son loves that I have a graduated cylinder and syringes in the house. I bought a giant pack of 5ml and 10ml syringes one time and he's still playing with them.  I was thinking about holding until I was done moving, but I'm not sure about it.  We haven't found a place yet, and we don't have to be out of here until August.  I could taper down now or later...I just don't know what to do. 

I totally hear you about overstimulation and kids activities.  Good for you being supportive of your daughter's trumpet playing.  I had a hard time dealing with my son playing the recorder.  I like listening to him sing or play the keyboard, but that recorder...Oh, it's so high and loud. 

Bob -  What dosage are you at now?  How is your chest pain?  Are you still taking Buspar? 

WW-  I hope your sleep got better.  I know that can make all the difference in the world.

As for me,  I have been taking Flexeril, the muscle relaxer I was prescribed last year for jaw clenching.  I have been taking it to get some sleep. My husband has been raising concerns about how often I am taking flexeril.  It's annoying though, what my husband just does not get, is that no other drug, ever seems to be as powerful as benzos, though luckily that means no other has as bad of a withdrawal as benzos.  Like even antidepressants and even opioids just are not as hard to get off of than benzos.  Maybe I am justifying this terrible behavior of taking a muscle relaxer to sleep, but damn, it made me feel so much better. 

Funny thing is I took it two nights in a row, and then on the third night, I didn't take it, and I do feel like my sleep was much much better.  My muscles also ache a lot too, so there is that relief I get also.  I have a friend who took Flexeril every night for many months, and she was in pain from her muscles, and then I asked her recently about quitting and she said she had not taken any in a while, and she had no problem quitting.  Of course we are all different, so who knows. 

GreenCup,  Great description of dp/dr.  "just popped into this life and was given the memories.  I felt like someone else had lived my life up till now."  Exactly.  No, I just wasn't thinking clearly about changing methods, just thinking about the ease of the capsules.  I am planning to continue my taper, but I'm going to take my scales and medication so I can hold if I decide to.  What am I talking about?  I really don't know how I will manage the trip, but I so desperately need a change of scene, and walking trips have always been such pure pleasure for me and my husband. 

GreenCup--It really does seem like taking something that helps is the lesser of the two evils sometimes.  The only thing I've taken is ibuprofen but I think it was well worth it for the nerve pain, especially because it continued to help after I stopped taking it.

I decided to stop therapy; she just doesn't get it, and I am not in a position to benefit.  I went to acupuncture today; she decided to "move some energy" after trying to contain me for weeks---kind of like holding vs. tapering.  :  )  So...I've spent the rest of the afternoon crying.

Hi GreenCup,

I am at 0.087 mg - still doing 0.001 mg per day.  The chest pains are mostly gone, just now have strange feeling in chest, like my heart is stuck in my throat.  Right now have extra family health stress and my symptoms went out of control for a couple of days.  It should be better soon.

I only take the Buspar when things are real bad.  Last time on it was 10 days ago.  I am very close to getting back on it for a few days if things don't lighten up around here.

Thanks for asking.

I’m not under .125, sure wish I was, but thought people here would be able to help.

My normal generic teva klonopin is/has been on back order.

The pharmacy only has Mylan & solco where my script is at & doc won’t call new script in anywhere else till I see him since he’s called me in different things to taper with so feels like there too many different scripts needs to cover his ass.

Has anyone taken teva strictly daily for years & switched to the above manufacturers with or without problems?

I’m holding right now as life’s been throwing me too many curveballs & I couldn’t tell if my compounded liquid clonazapam was making things worse, but I’ve felt better since stopping it.

I have .125 teva odts, that have aspartame in them. Should I try using them until my generic is back?

Do a partial order on the solco, or Mylan? I think solco might be qualities to bought out by solco.

I’m trying to remain as stable as possible before trying to start taper again.

Also, can withdrawal cause fatigue, just like too high of a dose can?

Much thanks

Hey Scaredie,

I never had a problem with different types of generics until my dose got low.

At higher doses like you are on, I don't see how you could notice the difference between manufacturers.

You are on such a high dose, I think I would be sleepy all day long.  When I was on 1 mg, I would wake up looking forward to when it was time to go to bed again.

With you taking 3.5 mg a day of Klonopin, I don't think you need worry about small changes or concern yourself with micro tapering.  If I were you, I would look to pill splitting, perhaps reduce by one quarter of a pill in mornings and wait two weeks to see if your energy comes back. 

Hey Scaredie,

At higher doses like you are on, I don't see how you could notice the difference between manufacturers.

You are on such a high dose, I think I would be sleepy all day long.  When I was on 1 mg, I would wake up looking forward to when it was time to go to bed again.

With you taking 3.5 mg a day of Klonopin, I don't think you need worry about small changes or concern yourself with micro tapering.  If I were you, I would look to pill splitting, perhaps reduce by one quarter of a pill in mornings and wait two weeks to see if your energy comes back.

I am at a lower dose, and also experiencing the issue with getting the teva .5 mg pills. I have a two week supply but if they are not in by next week, I am not sure what I am going to do. I really don't want to run out ...

I probably shouldn't post here as I am not in your club! I really had hoped to be by now but not able to make much progress in my taper. Maybe this time next year I will be down to .125 mg.

To taper or not to taper, that is the question. 

I've entered a new phase in my withdrawal symptoms now.  I'm getting a bunch of DR/DP.  This morning at marriage counseling(does it seem like we are here a lot? cause it feels like it), so this morning while the therapist was talking I felt like what was happening wasn't real, and this was actually in the past and already a memory. 

Flibberty- I totally get you stopping therapy.  For me when I went last Fall, I felt like I just couldn't examine things the way she thought I could.  I was in so much agony at the time.  My therapist also completely did not get how and what my anger was.  I actually don't really get it either, except I know it's not as bad now. 

Kristin- Do you know how long you are going to hold for?  I still am not sure what to do.

Bob-  That's exactly how I used Buspar when I had it and it did help a lot, to take as needed.  I remember I switched psychiatrists when I had Buspar and he laughed because he said I was taking Buspar for its side effect, of being tired.  Oh, jeez, I can remember so many psychiatrists visits.  It amazes me how few times the side effects of benzos was ever brought up.

Scaredie-  Yes withdrawal can cause fatigue, but I didn't get that symptom until I got to .125mg.  Maybe try the generic and see how it works.  When I was on 2.5-3mg a day, I had a lot of anxiety that has now gone away, as I've tapered down.  I started to feel better around .5mg, and I also had some long holds in there too. 

NJSTrength-  *wave hi* 

Hey Scaredie,

Thanks bob.

I did a partial order of another generic, hoping that teva will come in ASAP.

I have felt a difference from different generics in the past, even on a high dose.

I’ll intersperse the other generic with what I have left to try to remain as stable as possible as right now I’m holding, due to too many stressors in my life. I agree I wake up wanting to go back to bed, but I also get withdrawal symptoms quickly.

I’ll consider all options again after my hold & waiting for teva.

I may need to microtaper either liquid or dry. I’m very sensitive.

GreenCup- Oh, gosh, so sorry to hear that you're having dp/dr again now.  It is hard to imagine advancing in any kind of therapy when it is going on---I guess you probably didn't say anything?  I'm so envious of your lack of anxiety.  It's my major symptom.  It's horrible enough in itself, but I believe it is responsible for causing me to have to eat all the time so that my weight doesn't completely plummet.

Scaredie---I wish you the best of luck with the different generic!  Yes, major fatigue here, too, from withdrawal.

Dang!  Now that I've fired my therapist, I'm hearing more good stuff about Buspar.

GreenCup- I'm going to do a small updose when I start the liquid and will then try to taper 10% every two weeks.  If I continue to taper at that rate, it will take me approximately 5 months to get down to .025.  I'm even afraid that might be too fast.  Seems ridiculous that it will most likely take me more than 2 years to get off .25mg.  All of the health anxiety crap is kicking in.  Why is this so hard? I want to start the liquid soon...like tomorrow.  I had a rough couple days and freaked out about everything and wasn't mentally capable of starting, but I feel better today, so maybe I'll be ready to start tomorrow.  If I had a move coming up like you do, I would definitely hold.  I'm hoping your symptoms stay manageable throughout and that packing/moving will be a good distraction.

I had to laugh about the recorder because I went through that with both of mine. My girls break out into loud singing spontaneously.  Between that and the instruments, I'm constantly yelling stop, lol. I have some good noise cancelling earbuds though. 

Bob and Flibberty, thanks for getting back to me about the vitamins/supplements.  I wrote down what you are taking for future reference.  I really want my body to get what it needs but it's so tricky.  I'm going to get some bloodwork done in a few weeks to see what I'm lacking and then I might try to supplement again.  It's all a big Catch22 though for me, it seems, as I've had vitamin/mineral deficiencies in the past that haven't been corrected due to my body's inability to absorb the supplements. The naturopath said I wasn't absorbing them due to my messed up gut and that I would have to heal my gut first to aborb the vitamins/minerals.  But I can't heal my gut with normal protocol due to benzo withdrawal.  And it was the benzos that messed up my gut in the first place causing deficiencies. Frustrating

NJstrength - I feel for you with wanting to be further along in your taper.  I'll probably still be here when you get down to .125.  Who knows.  Just keep keeping on.  You can do it!

Okay everybody, I'm wanting to start this liquid taper and I think I have everything figured out but just have a couple little questions that I will probably post on the titration section unless someone here knows the answer.  I'm planning on dissolving my .5mg pill in 1ml of Vodka.  I will then add 99ml water to make the solution.  This would make enough for 6 days of dosings (my first dose being 15.08ml).  My question is, can I just leave this water solution out on my counter?  I wouldn't think it would need to be refrigerated since I'm not using milk/nut milk, but I'm unsure.  Any suggestions from those of you who are doing liquid?

Yes, Kristin, you can just leave it out at room temperature.  I know it's hardly any, but are you concerned at all about the vodka?  It is a minuscule amount, so it's probably not a problem.  I was drinking non-alcoholic beer with no problem, and it contains a little alcohol. I chose propylene glycol as the lesser of two evils, though I'm not sure that's true.  Good luck!

Thank you, Flibberty!  I'm trying not to be concerned about the vodka.  From what I've read it seems like a good solvent.  And my husband is more scientific-minded than myself and has convinced me it is basically nothing.  But of course we all know that things are different for our sensitive systems so I'm really just trusting it's the best process and hoping for the best.  I guess if I have a bad reaction I could try the propylene glycol.  I was actually more concerned about using milk/nut milk because of what they both do to my stomach.  Isn't that crazy? The alcohol seems like a safer choice than nut milk. lol. 

Question: Do you think I need to let the pill dissolve over night?  I'll probably try to make the solution in the evening and see how it goes.  Just wondering.

GreenCup,  Great description of dp/dr.  "just popped into this life and was given the memories.  I felt like someone else had lived my life up till now."  Exactly.  No, I just wasn't thinking clearly about changing methods, just thinking about the ease of the capsules.  I am planning to continue my taper, but I'm going to take my scales and medication so I can hold if I decide to.  What am I talking about?  I really don't know how I will manage the trip, but I so desperately need a change of scene, and walking trips have always been such pure pleasure for me and my husband. 

GreenCup--It really does seem like taking something that helps is the lesser of the two evils sometimes.  The only thing I've taken is ibuprofen but I think it was well worth it for the nerve pain, especially because it continued to help after I stopped taking it.

I decided to stop therapy; she just doesn't get it, and I am not in a position to benefit.  I went to acupuncture today; she decided to "move some energy" after trying to contain me for weeks---kind of like holding vs. tapering.  :  )  So...I've spent the rest of the afternoon crying.

Hey Fliberty, did I read right in your sig TMS worsened your depression anxiety & caused tinnitus?

Thanks wow congrats your almost there with you k taper!

Hi Everyone!

I’ve not read the entire group thread yet, but have read some of it. Thank you Flibberty for telling me about the group, it will be nice to communicate with others tapering the same benzo. I am at .118mg clonazepam and am doing a liquid microtaper with everclear/or vodka as a solvent for my benzo. So far I’m doing ok, the small amount of alcohol doesn’t bother me. I have windows and waves like everyone else, but am doing much better now that I’m on a liquid taper. Before that I was a mess. It took me a year to figure out the medication was making me sick. I only took it for three months before reaching tolerance and had been very ill and bedridden for the year prior from endocrine issues and mismanagement of my illness by doctors. So, naturally, I thought I was still sick and it had nothing to do with the medication. I suspected, but didn’t believe it, so here I am! I look forward to getting to know you!

Welcome, Lucielle!  This is a very supportive group of wonderful people.  It's nice to have your input about the alcohol.

Kristin--I shake the solution a lot, and then leave it for the day or over night, just to be safe.  Keep us posted.

Scaredie---Yes, the TMS turned out to be a nightmare.  It seemed to rev the glutamate system way up---just what I needed---and a year later my head symptoms are the same as the day I finished.  I see this now in hindsight.  Of course, the taper might've left me in the same place anyway.  The depression and anxiety that I got from that lifted only to return with my taper. 

I have to say that the finish looks close on paper, and when I put those 14 drops into each vial, but boy, it seems so far away sometimes.  It's something of a moving target, my having held some and decreased my speed.  I was originally supposed to be finished on June 2nd.  If I don't hold anymore, it won't be a lot farther out than that.  On my good days, I can almost imagine that.  How's it going with you?

Kristin- I think 20 minutes is enough to dissolve the pill.  I usually shake the solution as well.

This talk of how long our tapers our made me look at my extended signature and I feel a bit depressed with my progress or lack of.

May of 2016, I was at .375. May of 2017, I was at .1875.  Now, May of 2018, I'm at .0625.  At least this means by NEXT May, I should be off of this crap. 

Welcome, Lucielle!  This is a very supportive group of wonderful people.  It's nice to have your input about the alcohol.

Kristin--I shake the solution a lot, and then leave it for the day or over night, just to be safe.  Keep us posted.

Scaredie---Yes, the TMS turned out to be a nightmare.  It seemed to rev the glutamate system way up---just what I needed---and a year later my head symptoms are the same as the day I finished.  I see this now in hindsight.  Of course, the taper might've left me in the same place anyway.  The depression and anxiety that I got from that lifted only to return with my taper. 

I have to say that the finish looks close on paper, and when I put those 14 drops into each vial, but boy, it seems so far away sometimes.  It's something of a moving target, my having held some and decreased my speed.  I was originally supposed to be finished on June 2nd.  If I don't hold anymore, it won't be a lot farther out than that.  On my good days, I can almost imagine that.  How's it going with you?

Thanks Flibberty,

I’m struggling with depression & personal issues right now, so am unfortunately holding right where I’m at for the time being. Am looking for a therapist & was thinking of trying TMS, but sounds like too much risk involved since hearing your story. What head symptoms do you have a year later? Did they start with the TMS? Sorry to hear that. Had you already tapered down from 1mg to .5mg when you began TMS?

How has your taper been overall?

Did I see in your signature that you were ct off clonazapam @ one point before reinstating & tapering?

If so, do you think that’s effected your process?

You’ll get there soon enough. But I totally get wanting off ASAP. So your having bad days?

Sorry for all the questions. Best wishes

Sorry GC, didn't mean to bring you down with the slow taper talk!  If it makes you feel any better, I was at a similar dosage in May of 2017 and you are now further along than me. lol  We will get there eventually and the amount of time it took to taper will hopefully not seem so depressing.  Hang in there.

Lucielle - Welcome!  I'm so sorry you were sick for so long before figuring out it was the medicine.  Every time I hear a story like that it makes me sad because I relate.  It is encouraging for me to hear the liquid taper has worked for you.

Flibberty - I had to look up TMS.  That's so awful that something that was supposed to provide relief revved up your symptoms even more!  Ugh, all of our sensitive systems are so different.  I don't understand why we have to go through this, the constant seeking for relief, the trial and error.  We just want to feel better.  You are almost at the finish line. 

Scaredie - Welcome! I hope holding during this difficult time will bring some relief.

Wonderwoman - Where are you?  Hope you are ok.

Hi, Bob!

I didn't start the liquid taper yet but I have everything ready. However, I'm now a bit concerned about my body not absorbing the medication fully in liquid form.  I hadn't even thought about this until I read something on the titration forum and made a connection with my difficulty in absorbing vitamins through the small intestine.  I don't want to throw myself into acute as I know how awful that is.  Something is telling me to just go for it because I know the dosing will be more accurate and it could be a smoother taper.  Who knows, I might even absorb it easier.  I feel like I owe it to myself to try. Just a bit cautious...

KristinM,

Well if the Liquid fails you, I can help you will a dry taper, 0.001 mg per day. 

But crossing my fingers you will do well.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I'm going to start tomorrow. I think I'm mentally ready. Thanks for offering to help me with your innovative pill-making method if this fails.

Scaredie---I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time.  Yes, the head symptoms started with the TMS.  I was at .5 mg when I did it.  My head has a feeling of being full of liquid, and I'm continually trying to clear it by popping my ears.  The tinnitus is a hissing noise that waxes and wanes with my stress level.  These are both common withdrawal symptoms, so I probably would've eventually gotten them anyway.

The beginning of my taper was not too bad.  We had our whole family staying with us at Thanksgiving for four days and had dinners here every night, usually with extra people, and I cooked everything.  I was exhausted afterwards, but managed it.  There is no way that I could do that now.  I would say that things got progressively worse after Christmas (I started in September), and I probably should have slowed down at that point.  I think many of us struggle with the taper or hold question.  I felt that since I was in tolerance for so long before beginning that it might be best to keep going, but I probably should've slowed to .001 mg a day at that point.  I did eventually slow down.  Fatigue and dp/dr are major now, two things I did not have until well into my taper, but I still have windows---I've slept the last two nights and have felt good for 2 1/2 days---so I'm just going to go forward.  That said, I helped a friend today who was backed up with clerical work in her business and even that few hours of mindless work wore me out and I had a meltdown afterwards.  Rest and eating almost constantly are key for me.  I hope you feel better soon!

Kristin---Thanks for the encouragement and best of luck getting started with the liquid!

I hope everyone is doing okay!

Thanks flibberty for the thourogh response.

Sorry to hear your struggling, but glad you have windows & sounds like you know what you need to do to cope. Rest & eating. I’ll need to remember that.

All my best wishes to you on the rest of your journey & I hope your head symptoms clear up.

Love Scaredie

I probably need to get out of here because I’m not in your club so will ASAP. One more question, Flibberty. What is being in tolerance? Thanks happy wishes

Scaredie---It means that the medication no longer works at the dosage you are taking and you begin to have withdrawal symptoms.  Hope that's clear.