Health Anxiety

[bo...]

Totally agree... how do you know when you are really sick ? really good question and I don't think there is a straight forward answer... I use my old 7 day trick .. if the symptoms are still ther or have got worse, but then no one seems to know about the WD symptoms.. I was talking about itchy skin and eyesight/ brightness , which comes and goes with me and I know are withdrawal symptoms but the GP said no they weren't.. !! Now with symptoms that donet seems that serious like itchy skin I just don't bother. I KNOW the brightness of the day and the sensitivity to sound are absolutely symotons of the withdrawal and not anything wrong with my eyes or ears.. it's interesting though I have noticed so many folks having the heart issues. Or fear that something's is wrong with the heart... that seems to be so common .. anyone else noticed that ?

I would have to wait longer than 7 days.  Of course with the heart thing, its pure anxiety.  And worrying about that increases the anxiety, thereby increasing the sxs.  I actually first went to the ER cuz racing pulse was one of my blood clot sxs.  They refused to look at that.  When I told them I was not going to stay they threatened me, repeatedly telling me I was going to die, so that was really making anxiety worse.  I had that racing pulse up until I got my last cardio test come back negative.  The subconscious is really a very powerful thing.  No breathing exercises or anything could get that pulse down.  So I think anxiety is why all the heart sxs

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bo...]

• [Re...]

• [Gr...]

• [fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree... how do you know when you are really sick ? really good question and I don't think there is a straight forward answer... I use my old 7 day trick .. if the symptoms are still ther or have got worse, but then no one seems to know about the WD symptoms.. I was talking about itchy skin and eyesight/ brightness , which comes and goes with me and I know are withdrawal symptoms but the GP said no they weren't.. !! Now with symptoms that donet seems that serious like itchy skin I just don't bother. I KNOW the brightness of the day and the sensitivity to sound are absolutely symotons of the withdrawal and not anything wrong with my eyes or ears.. it's interesting though I have noticed so many folks having the heart issues. Or fear that something's is wrong with the heart... that seems to be so common .. anyone else noticed that ?

I would have to wait longer than 7 days.  Of course with the heart thing, its pure anxiety.  And worrying about that increases the anxiety, thereby increasing the sxs.  I actually first went to the ER cuz racing pulse was one of my blood clot sxs.  They refused to look at that.  When I told them I was not going to stay they threatened me, repeatedly telling me I was going to die, so that was really making anxiety worse.  I had that racing pulse up until I got my last cardio test come back negative.  The subconscious is really a very powerful thing.  No breathing exercises or anything could get that pulse down.  So I think anxiety is why all the heart sxs

I worry about a doctor taking my symptoms, not knowing about benzo withdrawal symptoms, and diagnosing me with diseases that I don't have.  We have to be so careful.

Grandma - I totally agree - When I was in withdrawal after a 4 month taper but didn't realize it was withdrawal (symptoms didn't hit until 3 weeks out and I was ignorant about what withdrawal was so I just thought I was dying) I walked around in a horrendous painful panicked daze going Dr to Dr.  Each Dr had a different diagnosis and they ALL wanted to prescribe meds for the "condition" - When I asked my PCP if my symptoms could be related to Klonipin withdrawal she flatly denied it - Said "that would be out of your system and over in 3 weeks - maybe you NEED the Klonipin - Your anxiety is out of this world" (I was on K mostly for SLEEP)  One dr prescribed medication for Restless Leg, another diagnosed me with Thyroid Eye Disease, another with Hashimoto's, another tested me for Sjogrens, my gyn. said it was "for sure" menopause (NOT) - he also sent me home with a hormone patch (without doing any bloodwork) - it goes on and on.........I'm meeting with a new PCP who I am going to explain calmly about Benzo withdrawal and ask her to do a once over now - rule out anything scary and then help guide me through what is worth checking into and whats NOT - she has been referred to me by my Endocrinologist who has become "benzo wise" though me - I love her - so supportive and believes in me!  I will tell my new PCP that I dont want to be screened for anything that doesnt have a black/white test for it  - nothing SUBJECTIVE - bc I think I'll end up with a HOST of new diagnoses !!!

Tinwi.... do you actually have heart failure? Gosh... I hope you don't that would be terrible.... :'(

I have a thumping heart and a very rapid pulse and shortness of breath problems.... My bp tends to be normal or on the very low side when I get my period.... I get and am so weak...

Tinwi.... do you actually have heart failure? Gosh... I hope you don't that would be terrible.... :'(

I have a thumping heart and a very rapid pulse and shortness of breath problems.... My bp tends to be normal or on the very low side when I get my period.... I get and am so weak...

When I first went in for my stress test, the Dr looked at the ultrasound and said my heart was not beating good enough. I had to go back in for a nuclear stress test.  The initial heart reading was 45%, they want it 55 or better.  But after the nuclear heart test, she said it did go up from 45 and there was no blockage, abnormal hearbeats or anything else they could find that could cause a weakened heart.  I think its just because I was in such a rapid beat for so long.  So ya, I totally believe ct off this crap could really kill a person

Man I been getting this wierd sensation at the tip of my penis. It is a tingling/pain sensation . Kind of like I need to pee but I don't. Trying not to get paranoid about it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Yes and it goes away......

Thank you BB - I guess I should get the lymph nodes and horrendous itchy ezema like rash on my back checked out - OH another Dr APPT - SHOOT ME!  Thanks so much for your reply!

Did you ever get your lymph nodes checked?

Following this thread, it is such a relief to hear other folks worry about things too.  It is sooo hard sometimes to know when something is due to benzos or not.  I have pain in my kidney area and worry about a kidney infection now-going to doctor tomorrow.  Also worry that I'll get put on some med I don't need, too.  I found a lump?  in my tongue and made the mistake of googling about it and all that came up was tongue cancer  :-\  Not what I needed to hear.  Have to be more careful about googling everything although, it led me to BenzoBuddies and a few really good health care providers.  Sorry for going on and on- just so overwhelming sometimes.

I do this all the time.  I have little white bumps all over my feet know and made the mistake of googling that.  I am sick of doctors.But if I am not nervous about some health thing, then it's something else.

Following this thread, it is such a relief to hear other folks worry about things too.  It is sooo hard sometimes to know when something is due to benzos or not.  I have pain in my kidney area and worry about a kidney infection now-going to doctor tomorrow.  Also worry that I'll get put on some med I don't need, too.  I found a lump?  in my tongue and made the mistake of googling about it and all that came up was tongue cancer  :-\  Not what I needed to hear.  Have to be more careful about googling everything although, it led me to BenzoBuddies and a few really good health care providers.  Sorry for going on and on- just so overwhelming sometimes.

A few years ago when I was having a lot of anxiety I noticed that my tongue looked funny. I asked my dentist about it and she referred me to another doctor who said I had a "geographic tongue" and there was nothing wrong with it. All that time I wasted worrying over nothing. So now as a new pain crops up here or there I ignore it for a while and see if it goes away. Usually does. And I sure won't Google anything online because I know where I would end up, with another doctor! This is craziness! But with time we all will get through this.

:smitten:

A few years ago when I was having a lot of anxiety I noticed that my tongue looked funny. I asked my dentist about it and she referred me to another doctor who said I had a "geographic tongue" and there was nothing wrong with it. All that time I wasted worrying over nothing. So now as a new pain crops up here or there I ignore it for a while and see if it goes away. Usually does. And I sure won't Google anything online because I know where I would end up, with another doctor! This is craziness! But with time we all will get through this.

Me too on the tongue...geographical tongue...I convinced myself it was cancer, of course. Google is a scary place for us with health anxiety, however if you don't take it too far, it can also be helpful. Just google only the specifics and move on....don't read too much into anything.

Yesterday I reread a partial list of withdrawal symptoms for klonapin, this PARTIAL LIST pretty much covered any everything that you can feel/get including hair falling out and scaly skin and discoloration of finger nails.

I still get a bit spooked by strange pains and symptoms but so far they have all been withdrawal effects and either cleared up or cycle with my dose cutting.

Seriously proud of myself ... managed to fly to another city yesterday deliver a seminar and do some training and fly back home... did it all without an extra dose ! My goodness when that plane door closed thought it was all over .. ( smallish plane 30 seater , two hour trip each way) .. could feel the heart pounding and the clammy hands and forehead..managed to distract myself from heart attack thoughts and not being able to get out ! Got myself settled and used the. Headspace app for the remainder of the trip ...

To think there used to be days when didn't give second thoughts to jumping on a plane ! Hopefully they will return ...xx

Grandma D:  Yep, my dentist said nothing to worry over, too...whew!  Like your idea about waiting awhile and see what happens with some new pain or symptom.  Craziness indeed with all this but, we will recover  :)

CeCe too:  Yeah, the geographic tongue is weird but, not thankfully, not a big deal.  Good advice about don't take it too far on Google and read too much into it!

2trusting:  It is simply amazing about how many symptoms there can be from klonopin withdrawal  :o

bozobertie:  congratulations on flying and delivering a seminar too!!!  That's a good idea to use a helpful app on the plane.

Seriously proud of myself ... managed to fly to another city yesterday deliver a seminar and do some training and fly back home... did it all without an extra dose ! My goodness when that plane door closed thought it was all over .. ( smallish plane 30 seater , two hour trip each way) .. could feel the heart pounding and the clammy hands and forehead..managed to distract myself from heart attack thoughts and not being able to get out ! Got myself settled and used the. Headspace app for the remainder of the trip ...

To think there used to be days when didn't give second thoughts to jumping on a plane ! Hopefully they will return ...xx

WAY TO GO BERTIE!!!!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your post was just what I needed to see tonight. It's so encouraging! Thank you for sharing it with us!

WAY TO GO BERTIE!!!!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your post was just what I needed to see tonight. It's so encouraging! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Amazing Bertie! Gives me a lot of encouragement! Thanks for posting this! HM

Thank you so much .. it really was a big deal ! I decided to post it here because as you all know I am completely overwhelmed with health anxiety at times ( most times !) I love reading when someone with sx similar to mine achieves a small victory over the disability ... it helps me believe it is achievable.. one thing I used on the head space app was trying to distance myself as  in 'I' from the thinking/feeling  of doom ... I have done much reading on health anxiety and some say to absolutely experience it and let it move through you , while others say to step back from it and distract. The information is confusing but I realise it's what works for me.. letting it flood through me is a recipie for disaster ! And complete distraction doesn't seem to work either it just holds it off till it pops up again . The middle ground is better for me.. at the risk of sounding too airy fairy I tried just recognising what was happening , and working out if it was a thought or feeling , and then working out if it was unpleasant or nutural ( it's never pleasant !!) and just acknowledging it. So holding it at a distance sort of .. does that make sense? So recognising that my heart is beating too fast , it's a feeling and it's unpleasant and that's it ... not jumping that step further to the looming heart attack .. It somehow looses its power then , because you're not ignoring it , you've recognised it ,  it that's it .. full stop ...

I've been practising this for a while and it seems to work a lot of the time ...

Just wanted to share xx

Thank you so much .. it really was a big deal ! I decided to post it here because as you all know I am completely overwhelmed with health anxiety at times ( most times !) I love reading when someone with sx similar to mine achieves a small victory over the disability ... it helps me believe it is achievable.. one thing I used on the head space app was trying to distance myself as  in 'I' from the thinking/feeling  of doom ... I have done much reading on health anxiety and some say to absolutely experience it and let it move through you , while others say to step back from it and distract. The information is confusing but I realise it's what works for me.. letting it flood through me is a recipie for disaster ! And complete distraction doesn't seem to work either it just holds it off till it pops up again . The middle ground is better for me.. at the risk of sounding too airy fairy I tried just recognising what was happening , and working out if it was a thought or feeling , and then working out if it was unpleasant or nutural ( it's never pleasant !!) and just acknowledging it. So holding it at a distance sort of .. does that make sense? So recognising that my heart is beating too fast , it's a feeling and it's unpleasant and that's it ... not jumping that step further to the looming heart attack .. It somehow looses its power then , because you're not ignoring it , you've recognised it ,  it that's it .. full stop ...

I've been practising this for a while and it seems to work a lot of the time ...

Just wanted to share xx

That is Awsome and inspiring bb! Huge accomplishment ! :thumbsup:

Remy

I have not had the lymph nodes checked yet - a friend of mine looked it up for me and said she thought it was nothing - I'm going with that for now - I have an appt with a new Internist in Nov. and will have her check them out.

I did have my THYROID checked again and sure enough, my T3 is in the TOILET - I lowered my T4 (Levoxyl) and upped my T3 and my rash/eczema is going away (Skin problems are a common symptom of hypothyroidism) - thyroid problems can cause a LOT of the same symptoms as Benzo withdrawal - so I am holding in my V taper while I hammer out some of the thyroid stuff - Its worth mentioning here that I've been on Thyroid medication for 15 years - NEVER had a problem - my numbers were beautiful......until this taper.......so I do think having your thyroid checked is wise if you are having symptoms of hypo or hyper thyroid - you can google the list......and if you do have your thyroid tested - it's imperative to have Free T4, Total or Free T3 and TSH all checked - most PCP's will only look at TSH which does not give a total picture - and TYPICALLY, thyroid deficiencies are easy to treat - Low thyroid affects many aspects of our mood and general well being - and we need to be our strongest while fighting this "Benzo War"

I also learned that my Ferritin is low (Iron Stores) which can affect Thyroid and cause symptoms of Anemia - so I'm on Iron supplements now which have helped my sense of well being greatly (and my hair)

Also - when I have Anxiety health about other symptoms - I usually look up Ashton's list of possible withdrawal symptoms and more often than not - whatever symptom I'm experiencing is on there - which brings huge relief.......

Last night every dam twinge and pain was potentially terminal !! Its just horrible . Always worse at night .. anyone else find that?

Last night every dam twinge and pain was potentially terminal !! Its just horrible . Always worse at night .. anyone else find that?

During my taper yeh everything was always worse at night. Now that I jumped it's different every day. I will get a couple bad mornings then a couple bad nights and sometimes both at the same time. Hang in there my friend. This is all worth it in the end. :thumbsup:

REMY - thanks for the meditation.....

Right now I am FREAKING out about these nodules in the back of my neck - my husband finally felt them and agreed that I need to have them checked out - I'm especially worried because I did the most dangerous thing possible - I "GOOGLED" it - and the first thing that came back was THYROID CANCER - I'm having LOTS of problems with my thyroid right now........So I guess I'll be calling the Dr. this week to have it checked out - I struggle with  my blood pressure and a sure fire way to get a high pressure is to go to the Dr where they take your VITALS

SIGH.......