Health Anxiety

[bo...]

I'm having dental issues too, Bertie and Remy. Terrified to go....cancelled two appointments already. Ugh. Now my anxiety is ramped up because I'm afraid that by having left it so long it'll be worse or a bigger job. This is no fun!

I have cancelled two in a row lol.. i bet they know i am chickening out. I have made another appointment for two weeks. Which i will most likely end up canceling as well....... I swear it made my horrible wave i was in 10x worse after getting three fillings done last month.

So now i am traumatized to go back there again. Especially since my mouth hasn't stopped hurting since i went. He also chipped a filling out of a tooth that wasn't even a cavity and refilled it. Now every time i bite down on that tooth it hurts and he has adjusted it three times and cant adjust it anymore. Si i am kind of like f this guy as well............I am worried he actually damaged the tooth and there was no filling there to begin with...

I dont ever remember getting a filling on that tooth? Although i dont remember much as it is right now.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bo...]

• [Re...]

• [Gr...]

• [fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad someone made this group i just posted something in my blog the other day about having issues with health anxiety. I have a rule, I think its a rule all of us should follow.

here is the post i was referring to:

My benzo recovery rules:

1.) do not under any circumstances Google symptoms.

There are more rules, but as you can see this is number one.. I keep breaking it and freaking myself out over symptoms. Ughhhh somebody needs to slap my teeth out of my mouth . I need a benzo rule enforcer to follow me around this month. I am breaking all the rules I created. Hopefully the fact I am saying this now will lead to me bieng  disciplined and having more self control.

I would say only doing this twice in the months since jumping is fairly good self control.... "Thanks Remy " . You are right other Remy this is a good demonstration of self control. " thanks other Remy , you are a pal"  It's perfectly normal for people to slip up every now and then when it comes to self control. Especially considering your situation . " Wow Remy you just gave me some perspective and I now feel more confident in my mental ability of self discipline. " say, other Remy you should be my benzo recovery rule enforcer ". Yeah sure I can do that! I can't tell which Remy is the other Remy?

Zaaaaaaang!

Lol !!

I best not start that 'two ' of me stuff !! Talk enough to myself as it is.. !!

'You're ok .. Its just withdrawal , you'll be all right, you don't need some more ativan '

Goes on and on ...

I started the thread because this dam health anxiety is one of my biggest complaints next to insomnia.. And you no what , after a bad night I feel really fatigued and that couldn't possibly be anything as simple  as not enough sleep could it .. ? Oh no its probably a heart attack looming !!

Like you I try to stay off google.. Theres a link there that keeps coming up ' the four things that happen just before a heart attack ' i think its some sort of ad blurb , and so far I refuse to click on it because in 10 minutes you can bet I'll be experiencing every single sympton !!

Sooooo tiring x

I'm laughing so hard (even though it's not funny)  :D  I googled "getting sick after the dentist" BIG mistake on my part. Crap.

You broke the benzo recovery golden rule!

That's it cuff her! She is going down town!

I have found that some research is helping. Knowing that what I'm experiencing is helpful because there is some logic in what is going on in my body. Things are making sense now where tests were showing no disease.

I've been to the ER because of symptoms only to end up with "we can't find anything" and a big medical bill.

I've since stopped comparing symptoms and only looking for a common thread that confirms my belief that this process is similar in some ways and all the weirdness of morphing symptoms is 'normal' in what we are going through.

I also have had a LOT of dental work done in the last two years. Thousands of dollars worth. Part of it is normal wear and tear. I don't like going as I'm more sensitive to pain now than before and I'm sure that will get better with time.

I've had to tell myself that unless I have severe pain that I've not had before, it's probably just the healing process. More tests will likely end up showing nothing more wrong.

I don't know if that helps anyone, but it's nice to be able to write down what is going on with me to someone else who gets this crazy process. It somehow makes it a bit better.

Thanks for reading.

I have to agree NT! If I would have waited for a doctor to figure this out I really don't know where I'd be. I didn't look up too many actual medical websites, but like you, just started looking for specific symptoms as they pertain to me. Mostly through google which would take me directly to what I wanted and bypass all the crap in between.

By doing it this way, I learned some things about myself that I had gone to doctors for in the past who always came up without answers. Simple things like panic attacks for instance. I googled panic attacks, because I felt that panic described what I was feeling. Sure enough! The symptoms were all there. This is just one example. I continued my search this way until I found more info about benzos and I found a bezo recovery thread on FB which led me here!

I finally felt like I could understand why I was feeling so bad all the time. And the best part is that there are others who share the same dilemma, so I got an added bonus of fitting in at last by being understood about my health concerns.

In summary, I don't feel as if I can trust doctors to dig deep enough to find the answers, I have to do that on my own, apparently. I still need them for other issues that come up; ordering tests, prescribing meds, lab work and the like, but I really have lost a lot of trust in our medical field. It's too bad because it makes me little lost and I wonder who I can really trust anymore.

I am more selective in what I google .. So for example my first search will always be toothache benzo withdrawal ... That way I'm getting the relationship and mostly there is! I do follow the golden rule that my old doctor told me tho. When you are in the midst of panic / anxiety do NOT google it. Wait until feeling more in control ..likewise I won't take my BP at night as it is always higher... I think we learn these things as we go along ...

Mexttime ..that was really helpful thankyou .. And the absolute reason for this thread. Where we can support each other but also get some good solid processes on better ways to handle all this...

I don't feel there is any right or wrong way . We just do what we can...but sharing the load can be such a relief...xx

I ak more selective in what I google .. So for example my first search will always be toothache benzo withdrawal ... That way I'm getting the relationship and mostly there is! I do follow the golden rule that my old doctor told me tho. When you are in the midst of panic / anxiety do NOT google it. Wait until feeling more in control ..likewise I won't take my BP at night as it id always higher... I think we learn these things as we go along ...

Mexttime ..that was really helpful thankyou .. And the absolute reason for this thread. Where we can support each other but also get some good solid processes on better ways to handle all this...

I don't feel there is any right or wrong way . We just do what we can...but sharing the load can be such a relief...xx

I have my wife google something if I need to know or I call my aunt and have her .... I am to crazy.

I ak more selective in what I google .. So for example my first search will always be toothache benzo withdrawal ... That way I'm getting the relationship and mostly there is! I do follow the golden rule that my old doctor told me tho. When you are in the midst of panic / anxiety do NOT google it. Wait until feeling more in control ..likewise I won't take my BP at night as it id always higher... I think we learn these things as we go along ...

Hi BB,

Thanks for the tips and I think it's an excellent thread! If you ever see your doc again you might inform him about how difficult, if not impossible it would be to do anything on your computer while in a panic mode, let alone look anything up on google. Not trying to be an ass here, it just struck me as odd.These doctors...... ::)

CeCe ... Yes , in full panic mode , but certainly in generalised anxiety mode I used to google like fury !  Amd it would send me into a full scale panic. I know  what you're saying tho !

I have these fears, too, and they are triggered by TV, ambulance sirens, a weird pain, or someone talking about an illness.  I also have an irrational fear of the dentist.  It's painful.

I have these fears, too, and they are triggered by TV, ambulance sirens, a weird pain, or someone talking about an illness.  I also have an irrational fear of the dentist.  It's painful.

Irrational....

They inflict pain and then inflict pain again with the bill!

I'd say you are smart!  :socool:

I never feared the dentist till I got off klonopin. My main health anxiety and fear though is linked with anything prolonging or increasing my pain. See I am already in as much pain as I can tolerate. So the idea of more brings a whole lot of anxiety and fear.  In my eyes the fear isn't irrational . To me that seems like rational thinking.

Oh my goodness yes! Ambulances ! I'd forgotten that .. I hate seeing ambulances ...triggers fear and anxiety .. What about  hospitals ! My legs go all jelly like if I have to visit someone .. And the smell , send my heart racing . When I was having cancer surgery it seemed to be different.. And it felt 'safe' .. But now for all my oncology checkups its back to .. Lets get the hell out of here as fast as possible !

And just have to turn those tv programs off that deal with accidents etc...

All seems to be so much heightened in this withdrawel ...

It is so helpful knowing others experience the same thing.. Makes me feel normal ... Well almost normal !! X

I get really paranoid all of this stress is taking a big toll on my heart. I know stress is one of the biggest factors in heart problems.. Scary... Scares me bad. Last night I woke up with a adrenaline/cortisol surge . This time it was really bad .

Every couple weeks I get them really bad where the severity makes me feel like I am dying. I had to have my wife come site with me till it passed. I really thought I was gonna have a heart attack. I couldn't sleep for a while after and when I woke up. I still felt really crappy it's like it gave a hangover . I get bad headaches and extremely dry mouth . Raging anxiety. A sense of doom. The whole kitten caboodle. Even my left arm is sore.

It is almost is of it ravaged my body. When I would get panic attacks before benzos. I would get this hangover style feeling ,but to a way lesser degree. It's hard with all of these " symptoms " going on that make me feel I am terminally ill. To not actually think I am dying is a daily struggle . I have to reconvince myself everyday. :'(

Thanks

Remy

Rely,

I just hopped on this site because I have major health anxiety. I jumped off of k a few weeks ago. I still experience minor aches and pains...they come and go. But the anxiety is always there. It keeps me up at night, usually from 2 or 3 am for a couple hours. I share your theory that stress causes heart problems, and I constantly worry about this. I've had a few heart tests in the last few years.

I havent read back to the beginning, but I hope that others on this site share their experiences :thumbsup:

New Girl

Rely,

I just hopped on this site because I have major health anxiety. I jumped off of k a few weeks ago. I still experience minor aches and pains...they come and go. But the anxiety is always there. It keeps me up at night, usually from 2 or 3 am for a couple hours. I share your theory that stress causes heart problems, and I constantly worry about this. I've had a few heart tests in the last few years.

I havent read back to the beginning, but I hope that others on this site share their experiences :thumbsup:

New Girl

Thanks for sharing new girl I really appreciate it :smitten:

Remy ... Totally agree about the stress and the heart.. I really could resonate with your post. Do you find the worst HA is at evenings/ night? Sure is for me. In the daylight I seem to be more rational about things. Maybe there is just more to distract me.

That 'hangover' effect I am familiar with. I spent a good part of yesterday feeling like that .. It just doesn't seem to get any better. I really do think the whole withdrawal process highlights the HA.. I guess in my case the benzos helped to suppress that ...

Welcome newgirl .. Good to have you here. Sorry about the reason you're here but at least we can all commiserate together. And for me personally thats a real help. Sharing a sympton and hearing others have it helps lesson its impact.

Remy ... Totally agree about the stress and the heart.. I really could resonate with your post. Do you find the worst HA is at evenings/ night? Sure is for me. In the daylight I seem to be more rational about things. Maybe there is just more to distract me.

That 'hangover' effect I am familiar with. I spent a good part of yesterday feeling like that .. It just doesn't seem to get any better. I really do think the whole withdrawal process highlights the HA.. I guess in my case the benzos helped to suppress that ...

Welcome newgirl .. Good to have you here. Sorry about the reason you're here but at least we can all commiserate together. And for me personally thats a real help. Sharing a sympton and hearing others have it helps lesson its impact.

I get it at both times it really just depends on what symptoms I am dealing with. I guess the majority of HA is during the night and early in the morning . I never really thought two shits about my health till I had my first panic attack. Ever since then I have been obsessing over my mortality. I considered myself invincible until I had that first panic attack. Always throwing caution to the wind.

I did care about my pyhsical health , mostly in the Aesthetic aspect. In the sense of bieng fit and eating right. I was in peak psychical condition and eating extremely healthy when I had my first panic attack.

Since that day I have not been the same in many respects. It is almost like it created a ptsd type effect within my mind. I was one hundred percent convinced I was having a heart attack the first time I had a panic attack. Called the ambulance and everything.

Guess I never got back on my feet since that day. Things in my life have only gotten progressively worse. The past almost three years have been a big struggle for me. Who knew one panic attack would turn my whole world upside down.

Thanks

Remy

Remy that is awful . Its not like having a broken arm that people see and empathise and then it gets better. If only it was that simple.. Only others who have had panic attacks can relate to what you're going through.. And its only in this type of forum that we can talk freely about them anyway..its all very well to rationalise that its not a heart attack when you're not having one , but in the midst of one it really does feel like the heart attack , or what I imagine one wouldnfeel likr.

I don't think we get 'over' these things .. Well I don't anyway , I think its more about finding ways to live with it and minimise the impact on our life.. Today I wanted to get a lot of things in town , but it will need to wait till tomorroe as feeling very fragile and a little unsteady. These days happen  and as much as .i don't like them they are what they are...

All the best to you BB x

Hi guys...

What is HA? Today I had a few spasms in my chest. It kind of hurt, but went away within a few minutes. Needless to say it sent me into full panic mode wondering about my heart. Has anyone here had anything like this? BP and heartrate ok, but a little twinge. Anyone feel free to shout out. I'm in panic mode since this afternoon. Debated going to urgent care but no heart/chest symptoms since then. Anyone who has had any kind of chest symptom, please post... :-[

New Girl

Hi guys...

What is HA? Today I had a few spasms in my chest. It kind of hurt, but went away within a few minutes. Needless to say it sent me into full panic mode wondering about my heart. Has anyone here had anything like this? BP and heartrate ok, but a little twinge. Anyone feel free to shout out. I'm in panic mode since this afternoon. Debated going to urgent care but no heart/chest symptoms since then. Anyone who has had any kind of chest symptom, please post... :-[

New Girl

I get those spasms and my hr is always in the mid 50s and bp is always in the lower range. It's just withdrawel. I know this because I never had them before in my life until I got off benzos. Process of elimination . Now if I could only have this clear of thinking when I react to the symptoms I get lol

I went to the er my third week off . I was in a bad way hadn't slept in three days every bad symptom in the book. The er doc told me I wasn't dying and all my heart tests were good. I actually slept that night , knowing I wouldn't die.

I can't really advise you one way or the other, but it may give you some peace of mind knowing everything is working properly and your ticker is ticking right. If you didn't have heart issues before you are more than likely fine though.

I get all kinds of chest symptoms.

HA is health anxiety