Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Medical Cannabis and Cannabis CBD Oil Group

[su...]

Magnolis, not that I have a degree in any of this but anecdotally I would say that MMJ has no negative influence on recovering from benzos.  If you are using MMJ as medicine, it is intended to help relieve pain, anxiety, depression if you're lucky (no luck for me), and improve sleep.  Sleep is key to all the body's needs so if that improves everything else gets better too.  Like anything, you have to be careful and go slowly.  I share a lot of information with the sales associates at the dispensary to ensure I'm choosing things that will be most likely to help me.

Percentages of THC and CBD are listed on the packaging of MMJ sold in dispensaries.  All products, from flowers to candies, include this information.  If I'm using flowers, I am very conservative with my intake, and I too only take the minimal amount for the effect I want.  I feel it quickly and strongly no matter what, so I don't do this at work. I use CBD oil that has a minimum of THC when at work if needed, but it can make me tired.  I think I need to try something with more THC because I'm not getting quite the effect I am seeking.  The highest % I've had has been 13.6% and it didn't make me paranoid, but it didn't improve my mood either.  Still seeking the miracle that will provide me with an escape from 3 years of depression with zero breaks.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

• [Re...]

• [or...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just beginning taper.  But so far. What has helped is an indica tincture 1/2 dropper with 5% thc.  Took the edge off heavy chest anxiety.  This week I tried my new cbd oil from ezra and it also helped with anxiety. Since I'm taking close to 11 mg valium have not tried cbn yet.  Have high hopes.  But I only want to use as medicine as I need to find my sweet spot in this taper which now looks like is going to be a year.( have trouble wrapping my head around that I'm collecting indica strains and letting them air out to increase cbn. 

Magnolis, not that I have a degree in any of this but anecdotally I would say that MMJ has no negative influence on recovering from benzos.  If you are using MMJ as medicine, it is intended to help relieve pain, anxiety, depression if you're lucky (no luck for me), and improve sleep.  Sleep is key to all the body's needs so if that improves everything else gets better too.  Like anything, you have to be careful and go slowly.  I share a lot of information with the sales associates at the dispensary to ensure I'm choosing things that will be most likely to help me.

Percentages of THC and CBD are listed on the packaging of MMJ sold in dispensaries.  All products, from flowers to candies, include this information.  If I'm using flowers, I am very conservative with my intake, and I too only take the minimal amount for the effect I want.  I feel it quickly and strongly no matter what, so I don't do this at work. I use CBD oil that has a minimum of THC when at work if needed, but it can make me tired.  I think I need to try something with more THC because I'm not getting quite the effect I am seeking.  The highest % I've had has been 13.6% and it didn't make me paranoid, but it didn't improve my mood either.  Still seeking the miracle that will provide me with an escape from 3 years of depression with zero breaks.

People use sativa for depression and i think it is the higher thc that relieves depression. The only problem with that is ,yeh it might relieve your depression but it's only temporary and chances are when you go back into depression it will become worse coming off the cannabis. Cannnabis is just a band aid just like any other medication.

I think seeking a "escape" through drugs is not wise. There are natural ways to cure depression. I mean you could use cannabis while you do things to clear up your depression but I think in the long run you would be digging yourself a deeper hole. Then what? It would mean you can only be happy if you have drugs in your system. It's a slippery slope. Using cannabis as a escape is just the same as using alchohal or any other drug. Yeah it's the healthiest " escape" but it's still a drug .

Hi Everyone, I’m loving all the activity on this thread!

I’m posting this for MMJ Newbies, like myself. Going into a dispensary for the first time can be very intimidating because there are so many choices, and often there’s not much privacy for personal conversation. I’ve been a medical marijuana patient for 7 short months, and I’ve made some mistakes that were both costly and physically uncomfortable. So I’d like to help others avoid the same.

Like so many here, my original quest was for CBD, but I didn’t know that there’s a huge variety of CBD products, each with different effects.

My first time at a dispensary I was sent went home with a bottle of CBD capsules - each with 40mg CBD plus 3mg THC. Turns out it was way too much CBD, and it made me very shaky and jumpy. Threw out the rest of the bottle.

Next I tried a 2:1 ratio CBD/THC vape oil, but that too was too strong - too much THC in the mix. Threw that out too.

While each person is different, for reference, I think 10mg CBD is a better dose for me.

Also, I find the CBD is more effective when a small amount of THC is blended in the mix. Not for psychoactivity, but simply because the cannabinoids often work better when they are used in combination with each other - they’re synergistic, or at least that’s my understanding. So I try not to be afraid of a small amount of THC.

So far, my favorite formulations have been the concentrated oil syringes (not smokable), because I can control the dose down to 0.1 ml. We don’t have patches in my state, but I would try them if I could. They are also dose-specific and their gradual release into the system is a plus.

Finally, I absolutely love my CBN oil syringes for sleep, when I can get them, but there are months and months when my state is out of them.  I sleep well with a dose of 20mg CBN, but I’m told that most people begin with half or a quarter of that amount.

And when I can’t get CBN, I use a little bit of indica flower at bedtime. I like decarbed flower because I can use just a little bit, and I don’t have to burn it to activate it. Smoking hurts my lungs, so I eat it mixed in a tablespoon of applesauce instead.

So here’s a quick recap what I’ve have learned through my mistakes so far:

- Don’t feel pressured to buy everything they recommend at the dispensary. If you’re unsure, ask to take a picture of the label with the lab specs, and go home and research it. And don’t count on your pharmacist to know what’s best for you. Most that I’ve met have no experience with patients recovering from benzos.

- When considering flowers for sleep, many people prefer the Indicas.  And for daytime anxiety and pain, many prefer the CBD strains. When deciding on a strain, preview the dispensary menu on the web before going, and look up the available strains on leafly.com to see what their profile is like. Read the user reviews.

- Research the plant source of any oils you buy. Oils (including CBD oils) are often blended from a mixture of Indicas, Sativas, and CBD strains. I try to stick to oils that are purely Indica sourced. I had a bad experience with a CBD oil that was sourced from a Sativa plant. Gave me the shakes. And I didn’t figure out it was sourced from a Sativa strain until it was too late.

- Whenever possible, try to do the math and figure out both percentages and milligrams of the various cannabinoids in the product you buy. Learning the milligrams of your effective dose will help prevent unwanted anxiety and paranoia that can happen when you take too much. I find it harder to gauge what I’m taking when all I know is percentages.

I’m sure there’s much more than this, but I hope this helps other beginners feel more confident when dealing with with some of the uncertainties in the cannabis learning curve.

And, if this IS the type of info that is helpful, maybe others with more experience will chime in with their own tips. Above all, what I’ve learned is to go slowly and be patient. And hey, we’re all experts at that by now!

I'm finding that CBD heavy flower vaporized doesn't help keep me asleep.  I'm not sure how the patches will work, but my take away from my own dabbling is that if the CBD takes away pain, and pain is keeping you awake, it will help with sleep.  THC is what makes you sleep.  Parker had some excellent information on this.  Good luck with the patches. They are really expensive where I live.

Isn't THC also the psychoactive part? The 1 time I tried MJ in the last 3 years I got super paranoid. I have no idea what strain it was and what the percentages were, so if I experiment again it will be with low THC and I assume this is the right thing to do.

Anyone?

I'm finding that CBD heavy flower vaporized doesn't help keep me asleep.  I'm not sure how the patches will work, but my take away from my own dabbling is that if the CBD takes away pain, and pain is keeping you awake, it will help with sleep.  THC is what makes you sleep.  Parker had some excellent information on this.  Good luck with the patches. They are really expensive where I live.

Isn't THC also the psychoactive part? The 1 time I tried MJ in the last 3 years I got super paranoid. I have no idea what strain it was and what the percentages were, so if I experiment again it will be with low THC and I assume this is the right thing to do.

Anyone?

Hey,  CBDs do not really help with sleep. For sleep I use Indica or Indica dominant hybrid flower and I like the lower THC strains. The dispensary I go to, lab tests all their product so everything is labeled with the percentage of THC.  I never get paranoid, if I stick to the lower THC strains and I smoke in very small doses.  I also like edible candies between 10 and 25 mg of THC no more.    Hope this helps.

I mostly need something for anxiety and nerve pain. What's best for that? Also, I don't think I can use edibles because of the whole Cytochrome P450 thing.

both CBD and THC are psychoactive. this non-psychoactive talk is nonsense. CBD at much higher doses though. CBD is good for nerve pain, and any physical pain, but in my personal expierence does nothing for anxiety.

Avoid MJ in acute *mental* withdrawal phases.

I have avoided THC for a long time, mostly because negative experiences. I found it sleep disturbing as well, while CBD didn't help at best.

Anyone?

both CBD and THC are psychoactive. this non-psychoactive talk is nonsense. CBD at much higher doses though. CBD is good for nerve pain, and any physical pain, but in my personal expierence does nothing for anxiety.

Avoid MJ in acute *mental* withdrawal phases.

I have avoided THC for a long time, mostly because negative experiences. I found it sleep disturbing as well, while CBD didn't help at best.

Anyone?

So you've had no luck with CBD or any kind of medical marijuana?

Hi CeCe Too,

To avoid paranoia I never buy MMJ with more than 20% THC and I try to micro dose. What I mean by that is a smoke as little as possible to get the effect I want. So, I use a little and wait 15 minutes before using anymore.  Also low dose edibles like 10mg candies work well for me.  I treat my use of MMJ like regular medicine, I do not want to take more than I need and I do not want to be so high I can not drive or work.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response, benzosrbad...how do you know it's only 20%THC? I guess I'm not understanding how to buy this stuff anymore..do you get it from someone you know??  It sounds like it really works well for you and I'd love to try it for myself...mainly for anxiety and social anxiety, as well. So if it can be gotten at 20%, I just want to know how...thanks so much!!  ~CeCe

If you buy from a shop it will list it on the package like with alchohal the percentage of thc and cbd.

Hi Remy..Thanks for responding. Can't buy weed at a shop in the USA..or on line..CBD I have gotten on line, but weed??.. :)

I live in Washington state there are tons of shops I can buy from. USA ! USA ! Wooooooooo!

Lucky you! Not in MN...no way..I can't even find it online! 

I've asked this before, but I'm going to ask again: 

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SLEEP!  I tried "pineapple" at 13% THC for sleep and it just didn't keep me knocked out.  Is there a specific product, strain, etc... you've had good results with?  I'm getting desperate now.  I understand that people like edibles, tinctures, oils, etc... Yes, we're all different, but instead of taking a shot in the dark, it would be great to have an idea of where to start. Anyone want to share?  Our dispensaries put their menus on line.  Anyone want to share their menu and recommendations? 

[07...]
You'd have to get a script to buy weed.  Minnesota is a bit limited regarding qualifying conditions unfortunately.  Intractable pain perhaps if you're experiencing a lot of pain.

You'd have to get a script to buy weed.  Minnesota is a bit limited regarding qualifying conditions unfortunately.  Intractable pain perhaps if you're experiencing a lot of pain.

Thanks for responding, bads..I know MN is extremely rigid (at least the docs, I've run across) and some clinics don't even prescribe it. So..I'll continue with the CBD oil for now.

But I have been benzo free for a year this month. With only a couple rescue doses...

So maybe the cbd is hitting me harder than it would have earlier on....

Whatever the case I will continue on occasion to utilize it as a tool...

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SLEEP!  I tried "pineapple" at 13% THC for sleep and it just didn't keep me knocked out.  Is there a specific product, strain, etc... you've had good results with?  I'm getting desperate now.  I understand that people like edibles, tinctures, oils, etc... Yes, we're all different, but instead of taking a shot in the dark, it would be great to have an idea of where to start. Anyone want to share?  Our dispensaries put their menus on line.  Anyone want to share their menu and recommendations?

I was told cbn is SPECIFICALLY  FOR SLEEP AND SEDATION

I will be looking for CBN products at the dispensary. I know they have some things by Mary's but not sure what.  Not sure they are on the menu on line and they change that too.  They are out of CBD oil right now, so I'm not using mine unless I'm desperate. I've been white knuckling it for a while now, and the anxiety during the day is a real challenge that's affecting me at work.  I'm too afraid to try anything but the oil at work...

Sunday, I’m sorry things are so rough for you right now. I’ve had major sleep issues for decades and have tried almost everything to help, so I hear you.

As I’ve mentioned before, the CBN oil is what works best for keeping me asleep. When I can’t get that, I use an Indica flower called Rare Darkness. Here is the strain profile on Leafly.com https://www.leafly.com/indica/rare-darkness

Right now I can’t get that either, my dispensary is out, so there would be no point in posting a link to my dispensary’s menu today.

I see you’re still tapering – I just want to toss out an idea out here because it helped me during my taper… I used Unisom Sleep Tabs for sleep, and it helped me get 4hrs straight. Not great, but better than nothing. Some BBs get much more sleep than that. And it was not hard to discontinue. If you decide to try it, make sure you get the Sleep Tabs, which contain doxylamine succinate. Other formulations of Unisom contain diphenhydramine. I learned from people here on the forum that most BBs tolerate the doxylamine succinate better. http://www.unisom.com/common-questions/

I’m not suggesting you give up on your cannabis quest. But maybe having something like Unisom around would help fill the gaps while you’re still trying things, and it might buy you a little more time.  Hope you get some sleep soon!

[07...]

Smoking cannabis will usually only cause me to sleep a few hours.  Edibles or tinctures will buy me 5-8 hours of sleep.  What's the name of your local dispensary?  I'm happy to look at their wares.

Smoking cannabis will usually only cause me to sleep a few hours.  Edibles or tinctures will buy me 5-8 hours of sleep.  What's the name of your local dispensary?  I'm happy to look at their wares.

Bad,

Please name the tinctures that are helping?

I had an scary CBD exp. yesterday which makes me to stop using any MJ stuff completely I think for now. I did put some CBD paste in an empty supplement capsule around 1pm. Didn't feel anything until 7pm or so. At 7pm it hit me hard - I felt like smoking 3 joints at once. very bad nausea, dr/dp and an intense amplification of K w/d symptoms. today is bad too. could be just regular w/d, altough I haven't been cutting at all. still sitting at 0.18mg K. is it coincidence or could waves come and go even when holding dosage? I was feeling reasonable for the last couple days or so until this....

I had an scary CBD exp. yesterday which makes me to stop using any MJ stuff completely I think for now. I did put some CBD paste in an empty supplement capsule around 1pm. Didn't feel anything until 7pm or so. At 7pm it hit me hard - I felt like smoking 3 joints at once. very bad nausea, dr/dp and an intense amplification of K w/d symptoms. today is bad too. could be just regular w/d, altough I haven't been cutting at all. still sitting at 0.18mg K. is it coincidence or could waves come and go even when holding dosage? I was feeling reasonable for the last couple days or so until this....

Do you know how much CBD was in the paste ?  CBDs need to be treated with the same respect as THC as it is possible to take too much and hence cause nausea.