Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

Its funny Jeff.  I'm not a fan of summer, maybe its my Irish roots. And before being medicated and going through withdrawal, I never really had the winter blues.  But going though withdrawal.amd feeling stuck in my life has made me more sensitive to the grey days. 

I'm sorry you are feeling low too.    Being sensitive to meds makes us feel everything. 

Hang in there. 

Ultra, NJ and Final

Thank you! This is such helpful information.  I am going to try an adrenal cocktail.  Have y'all also adjusted your every day diet in other ways?  I have omitted caffeine, alcohol, sugar, starches and white flour products.  I don't know if I should get rid of all grains?  I'm still eating steel cut oats, wild rice and occasionally some basmati rice. 

Mai

Your diet looks really good to me. I've had numerous medical people and benzo buddy friends tell me that it's also WHEN you eat that's important. I was told to eat a healthy fat later in the evening simply to help with blood sugar/cortisol regulation. Good luck to you no matter what you do!

Jeff

I agree, your diet looks good.  I continue to eat rice, gluten free oatmeal, and sweet potatoes.  So far it's been okay.   

I don't have much of an appetite so I have to force my self to eat but it's important. 

Let's us know how you like the cocktail.  It took about a week or so for me to really feel a difference.

I tried the adrenal cocktail at 4pm yesterday.  I think I screwed up by using orange juice.  It was a lot more sugar that I am used to and I felt revved up.  I read that you can use unsweetened cranberry juice or coconut water as well which is what I am going to try today at 10am.  Here is a link to adrenal cocktail information that I found by searching this site: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-cocktail/

I was confused a little when I read this as it says this cocktail is for low cortisol and what is ailing me is too much cortisol.  Is this adrenal cocktail supposed to help with cortisol surges?  Is low cortisol what causes them in the morning?  Understanding science does not agree with my benzo brain!

Thanks guys,

Mai

Ultra, NJ and Final

Thank you! This is such helpful information.  I am going to try an adrenal cocktail.  Have y'all also adjusted your every day diet in other ways?  I have omitted caffeine, alcohol, sugar, starches and white flour products.  I don't know if I should get rid of all grains?  I'm still eating steel cut oats, wild rice and occasionally some basmati rice. 

Mai

Your diet looks really good to me. I've had numerous medical people and benzo buddy friends tell me that it's also WHEN you eat that's important. I was told to eat a healthy fat later in the evening simply to help with blood sugar/cortisol regulation. Good luck to you no matter what you do!

Jeff

I agree, your diet looks good.  I continue to eat rice, gluten free oatmeal, and sweet potatoes.  So far it's been okay.   

I don't have much of an appetite so I have to force my self to eat but it's important. 

Let's us know how you like the cocktail.  It took about a week or so for me to really feel a difference.

I tried the adrenal cocktail at 4pm yesterday.  I think I screwed up by using orange juice.  It was a lot more sugar that I am used to and I felt revved up.  I read that you can use unsweetened cranberry juice or coconut water as well which is what I am going to try today at 10am.  Here is a link to adrenal cocktail information that I found by searching this site: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-cocktail/

I was confused a little when I read this as it says this cocktail is for low cortisol and what is ailing me is too much cortisol.  Is this adrenal cocktail supposed to help with cortisol surges?  Is low cortisol what causes them in the morning?  Understanding science does not agree with my benzo brain!

Thanks guys,

Mai

Low cortisol? That's confusing to me too. I actually have that book but I don't remember reading that part. I'll have to look it up again. I'll follow this thread to see what others might say. (I answered your PM).

Good luck to all of us!

Jeff

Ultra, NJ and Final

Mai

Jeff

Thanks guys,

Mai

Have you had your cortisol tested?  The reason I ask is the symptoms of low and high cortisol are similar.  I'm not a doctor but I kept thinking I had high cortisol and then i did a saliva test. 

Mine was super low in the morning, when I was getting the waves of surges and then higher at night.  The morning surges was my adrenals trying to kick out the adrenaline it really didn't have. Also, I have trouble falling asleep due to meds and feel anxious at night. 

So maybe trying it earlier in the day might work if it's going to for you.  Also, using other things besides oj sounds like a good idea if the sugar is too much. .

Tapering off of K. For those of you who have or are in the process, when do symptoms show up?  I started a taper in November at 0.5mg and I am at now at 0.365. It is easy to want to keep taking smaller amounts, but I know that symptoms can hit you. Just don't know when.

If you have symptoms that are difficult do you just hold at that dosage or do you updose? When do people updose? I am also working with a compounding pharmacy. Thanks for your help with this!

Hello, 52andforward.

Can you tell us more about how you are tapering? Rate? Schedule?

You’ve indicated you are working with a compounding pharmacy.  Are you using a compounded liquid or compounded capsules? 

The only pattern I've seen to my symptoms is that they seem worse when I'm tired. I'm not really able to take naps, but I have been able to get some relief by making an attempt at napping. Resting with closed eyes seems to help.

The other thing that really helps is walking or exercise.

52, why are you curious about updosing, are you having issues? I would also like more info about compounding Klonopin. It would be nice to have that as an option. Good luck!

Tapering off of K. For those of you who have or are in the process, when do symptoms show up?  I started a taper in November at 0.5mg and I am at now at 0.365. It is easy to want to keep taking smaller amounts, but I know that symptoms can hit you. Just don't know when.

If you have symptoms that are difficult do you just hold at that dosage or do you updose? When do people updose? I am also working with a compounding pharmacy. Thanks for your help with this!

I think it is different for everyone. I am so happy that you have been able to taper as much as you have and it sounds like you are doing well. For me, symptoms started immediately when I cut from 1 mg of K to .97 mg, within probably days. You may become symptomatic as you go lower ... or you may not. think positive. If symptoms show up you can go back to the dose that you last felt well on or try a long hold.

Last night was maybe my lowest point so far in my taper. I am just emotionally exhausted from making decisions about my taper.

So I decided that last Friday wasn't the right time to cut after all.

When I'm trying to rest or sleep, I get very distracted by my (normal) heartbeat. I use white noise sometimes.

Best of luck to everyone!

Last night was maybe my lowest point so far in my taper. I am just emotionally exhausted from making decisions about my taper.

So I decided that last Friday wasn't the right time to cut after all.

When I'm trying to rest or sleep, I get very distracted by my (normal) heartbeat. I use white noise sometimes.

Best of luck to everyone!

I totally relate about the emotional exhaustion. It sounds like giving yourself a break was a good idea.

I'm feeling very anxious and stuck myself.  Looking for ways to keep steady.

Are people dividing your dose into three

doses per day ? Even at lower doses ?

Thank you.

I have 3 doses but my night dose is heavier for sleep.  I'm trying to now trim across the 3 doses, one at a time, but cutting the night dose more to try and even things out a little more.  I probably will cut across all 3 till I am down.  At least that is my plan for now. 

The doctor who originally prescribed Klonopin for me had me dosing twice, AM and PM.

I kept that schedule through the fist part of my taper, but when I went down to 0.5mg I decided to only dose once, in the evening. For me that felt like the right time to switch, and I knew that I eventually wanted to switch to 1 dose per day.

You guys, I was able to nap this afternoon...for 2 hours! It was the first time I have been able to take a long nap in what feels like forever and it felt glorious.  Since tapering I would fall asleep then immediately jerk awake and have an intense surge in anxiety.  Today's nap felt like restful and deep sleep.  I am 6 1/2 weeks off of my last dose of klonopin.  I found this nap to be very encouraging in terms of the healing process.  How is everyone?

Mai

You guys, I was able to nap this afternoon...for 2 hours! It was the first time I have been able to take a long nap in what feels like forever and it felt glorious.  Since tapering I would fall asleep then immediately jerk awake and have an intense surge in anxiety.  Today's nap felt like restful and deep sleep.  I am 6 1/2 weeks off of my last dose of klonopin.  I found this nap to be very encouraging in terms of the healing process.  How is everyone?

Mai

Congratulations!  I uses to love taking naps and want to do be able do it again.  This is great news.

May I ask what dosage you tapered from?  Thanks!

Mai

can I ask whats yr story in terms of meditations, taper if any...

Final and Bonty,

I have been on all the culprits over the past 20 years - valium, Xanax, klonopin and Ativan.  When I reached tolerance and one benzodiazepine stopped working, my doctor would just switch me over to another one in a vicious cycle which had me on all these benzodiazepines multiple times.  At the height of my dosages, I was on 90mgs of valium, 3 mgs of Xanax or 6mgs of klonopin a day. My last switch over was from an unsuccessful taper of Valium to Klonopin and I was prescribed 1mg klonopin as needed for panic attacks.  I went from taking it 3x a week to 4x to 5x and eventually every day.  My psychiatrist does not believe in tapering off benzodiazepines so I did not have a lot of leeway to work with in regards to a super slow taper.  She told me to go down from .5mg for a week to .25mg for a week and then stop.  I had researched a lot on benzobuddies at this point and was terrified that I couldn't do a slow taper with my own time frame.  I tried to explain to her what was going on but she had zero desire to listen or learn.  I was so angry at myself and my psychiatrist, but I took what remaining pills she would prescribe and did dry cutting with a scale.  I jumped December 6 2019 and had a bad time the first 3 weeks.  The worst of it being Christmas week.  I had a 3 day window over my 6 week mark last week and then the 2 hour long nap a few days ago which have given me such hope.  The things that have helped the most with my healing were a complete overhaul of my diet to cut out sugar, refined carbs and caffeine. I began a daily meditation practice where I force myself to sit and watch my thoughts in order to see that they are thoughts and that they come and go. And daily walks and gentle yoga. When I have tried to get off the meds in the past, I would just lay in bed in the dark all day watching tv, eat processed junk food and feel sorry for myself.  I had to change these self-defeating habits in order to get well enough to get off the Benzos.  What I am still shocked at is that I was on these drugs for 2 decades and I never did any research as to what they were doing to me.  I thought all the tolerance withdrawal symptoms I was going through were non related to the benzodiazepines.  I feel like such a fool for not looking into my prescriptions.  Acceptance of this situation is a practice that I have to engage in anew every day.  I get really angry at myself with anxiety over a wasted life and rumination of my past decisions.  These are a daily battle to overcome. 

Mai

Maltri: Don't beat yourself up over not knowing the risks. I also was not aware, first started K in 1999 before there was much on the Internet. Still on. Actually considering a rapid taper and your history, it sounds like you are doing pretty well.

Final and Bonty,

I have been on all the culprits over the past 20 years - valium, Xanax, klonopin and Ativan.  When I reached tolerance and one benzodiazepine stopped working, my doctor would just switch me over to another one in a vicious cycle which had me on all these benzodiazepines multiple times.  At the height of my dosages, I was on 90mgs of valium, 3 mgs of Xanax or 6mgs of klonopin a day. My last switch over was from an unsuccessful taper of Valium to Klonopin and I was prescribed 1mg klonopin as needed for panic attacks.  I went from taking it 3x a week to 4x to 5x and eventually every day.  My psychiatrist does not believe in tapering off benzodiazepines so I did not have a lot of leeway to work with in regards to a super slow taper.  She told me to go down from .5mg for a week to .25mg for a week and then stop.  I had researched a lot on benzobuddies at this point and was terrified that I couldn't do a slow taper with my own time frame.  I tried to explain to her what was going on but she had zero desire to listen or learn.  I was so angry at myself and my psychiatrist, but I took what remaining pills she would prescribe and did dry cutting with a scale.  I jumped December 6 2019 and had a bad time the first 3 weeks.  The worst of it being Christmas week.  I had a 3 day window over my 6 week mark last week and then the 2 hour long nap a few days ago which have given me such hope.  The things that have helped the most with my healing were a complete overhaul of my diet to cut out sugar, refined carbs and caffeine. I began a daily meditation practice where I force myself to sit and watch my thoughts in order to see that they are thoughts and that they come and go. And daily walks and gentle yoga. When I have tried to get off the meds in the past, I would just lay in bed in the dark all day watching tv, eat processed junk food and feel sorry for myself.  I had to change these self-defeating habits in order to get well enough to get off the Benzos.  What I am still shocked at is that I was on these drugs for 2 decades and I never did any research as to what they were doing to me.  I thought all the tolerance withdrawal symptoms I was going through were non related to the benzodiazepines.  I feel like such a fool for not looking into my prescriptions.  Acceptance of this situation is a practice that I have to engage in anew every day.  I get really angry at myself with anxiety over a wasted life and rumination of my past decisions.  These are a daily battle to overcome. 

Mai

I think you're doing great too!! It was a lot harder 20 years ago to find information so freely about benzos, and we all just trusted docs then. Next thing you know, we've been listening to docs and taking meds for 5 years, then 6, then 8, then 10 and beyond. We can take our experiences and help others coming along behind us. Something tells me that you'll end this long run being a better and stronger version of yourself. Thank you for giving us all hope! You're a leader and probably don't even recognize it yet. Bless ya!

Jeff

Final and Bonty,

Mai

Mai, what an experience and you are still standing. I think you can be very proud of what you have gone through.

You have made good decisions in terms of diet, walking and meditation. 

I I think processing the experience does involve deep feelings about how and why we ended up on these medications.  I experience those feelings myself as I taper. 

I believe you have over come so much and with time will have  peace about what you have gone though.  We all still have a lot to offer to ourselves and others. 

Thank you for sharing your story. It actually offers me hope that I can get off Klonipin too. 

Hope everyone is doing well. I bought a new pill cutter recently, and while I knew that my pills were scored, I noticed that the halves are marked "1" and "2" (accord generic). I plan to ask my pharmacy about this, if it means anything, and also their take on compounding, if they do it, just to see what they say.

I still don't know how to characterize my symptoms, but overall I would say I wake up feeling great, get extremely fatigued around 5-6pm and then feel great again around 7pm. I dose once per day around 10pm.

Good luck to everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. I bought a new pill cutter recently, and while I knew that my pills were scored, I noticed that the halves are marked "1" and "2" (accord generic). I plan to ask my pharmacy about this, if it means anything, and also their take on compounding, if they do it, just to see what they say.

I still don't know how to characterize my symptoms, but overall I would say I wake up feeling great, get extremely fatigued around 5-6pm and then feel great again around 7pm. I dose once per day around 10pm.

Good luck to everyone!

Well, it looks like a big chunk of your day is feeling "great". Great!! Keep it up :)

Jeff

[54...]
Hi everyone.  I have not posted in a a couple of weeks.  Over the last two+ months I have decreased my Klonopin from 3mg daily to 1mg daily, decreasing .25 mg every week.  Symptoms:  anxiety, difficulty sleeping, muscle aches in my legs, elevated blood pressure but am taking Propranolol for that, dizziness but I had that in public places even on the medication.  Overall, I feel like I am doing well and so want to get the taper over although I realize I will have the symptoms for a while after stopping my medication.  Just looking for support and encouragement here.  I am hopeful and fearful at the same time.  :) 

Hi everyone.  I have not posted in a a couple of weeks.  Over the last two+ months I have decreased my Klonopin from 3mg daily to 1mg daily, decreasing .25 mg every week.  Symptoms:  anxiety, difficulty sleeping, muscle aches in my legs, elevated blood pressure but am taking Propranolol for that, dizziness but I had that in public places even on the medication.  Overall, I feel like I am doing well and so want to get the taper over although I realize I will have the symptoms for a while after stopping my medication.  Just looking for support and encouragement here.  I am hopeful and fearful at the same time.  :)

Wow! That is quite an accomplishment and glad you feel you are doing well. Were you on K for a long time?