Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

Hi I want to hear from people who've had a fairly easy taper. I need to start thinking more positively.

Thanks

I suppose we should refer back to Sonia's original question at the start of this thread every now and again!

There are some awfully sad stories on this forum.

There are others that seem to suffer less.

How they achieve this is an individual thing.

For me staying positive is key.

Mindfulness meditation is so important for me.

Daily practice of long slow breathing.

A place of safety I have created in my own head.

I do guided meditations.

Daily walking

Art/painting

Gardening

Critical for me to not sit and dwell on any sxs I am suffering.

That are are only temporary.

Each day is slightly different.

Great day yesterday painting and lunching with friends.

Day ended with crippling benzo headache and balance issues.

Awoke this morning feeling good.

I didn't let the headache which only came on at 9 pm bother me and ruin a good day.

Have a good day😀

Thanks for you support guys.

Same back too you. 👍👍👍

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

jp thanks for your thoughts this morning, that many of us here share, glad you are doing what you love with your painting and breaking bread with friends, "Living" our life is what it is all about, and yes being "Positive" is the word of the day, not just "Today but "Everyday" it has been my guiding force. Letting things come and letting them go, and not overthinking, but just knowing that this too shall pass. :thumbsup:

So glad you decided to bring this Thread alive and to the forefront where it needed to be. Cheers my Friend. :thumbsup::smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

jp,

Thanks for the list.  I, too, believe that a big factor is mindset.  I see so much panic and fear on BB and my guess is that this makes things exponentially worse.  I know that stress ramps up my symptoms just as doing something that I enjoy brings them way down.  For me, getting out in nature is very important to my well-being and happiness.  There are other things as well.  Accepting the sxs as just an unpleasant but natural part of the process (no one here is dying!) and not giving them undue "power" over our minds is very helpful.  I try to think of one thing that I would enjoy or that would give me pleasure - and I do it! :thumbsup:

Be good and Lynn

Thank you for such lovely words😄😁👍😁👍

You are both so good with words👍

I struggle.

This is a nice piece on the subject by Altostrsta who runs Surviving Anti Depressants;

Quote Altostrata

"One of the techniques I've used to deal with withdrawal symptoms is what I call "changing the channel." It's a composite of whatever works, to switch from bad feelings to more of an emotional equilibrium. Changing the channel is particularly effective with the neuro-emotions of withdrawal syndrome, which come out of nowhere, can be very intense and painful, and then in minutes or hours or days, disappear like a summer rainstorm passing through.

It's a way of managing the distress while not adding to it with very understandable worry, fear, or panic. The key is to understand you have a feeling self, who is sometimes overwhelmed by emotions, and an observing self.

You feel a feeling, and your observing self knows you are feeling a feeling: "Oh, I'm feeling so sad." The technique is very simple: When you recognize you are in the midst of an unpleasant emotion, change the channel by doing something more pleasant or constructive or healthy. It can be anything, any psychotherapeutic technique, your choice: - Switch your thoughts to puppies and kittens, or people you love. - Do slow, meditative deep breathing. - Play with your pets. - Cuddle your children, or significant other. - Phone a friend to say hello. - Take a walk in an interesting part of town, or in a park. - If you like cognitive behavior therapy, do CBT. - Do some gardening, look at trees and flowers. - Go to the store and smell all the spices. - Wash the dishes. - Read a book or magazine you've been interested in.

Gentle physical activity like taking walks, breathing regularly, looking at trees, flowers, and interesting sights is good for you in 4 ways -- the physical activity helps your autonomic nervous system to regularize and it stimulates the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis). Looking at pleasant things puts pleasant images into your memory that you can replay. Plus, you are taking care of yourself and this will build your confidence. (I mentioned "changing the channel" to my therapist the other day and to my surprise, she had never heard of it. It seems I might have invented it! Anyway, she liked it a lot.) This seems like something each of us does in his or her own way. What do you do to change the channel?"

Dear sweeties,

The last possibility i think i can be here online before i leave so wanted to leave a message here for all of you :

The doors of 2016 are almost closed !

A year not as easy as I supposed.

I decided not to live in the past

and live to get some happiness that will last.

Little bits of Sunshine are everywhere..

if you just take the time to stop and stare !

Dancing and music gave me back my true me

friends who helped me to be free !

Sometimes life can bring you down but don't give up and fight

Cauz everything will be allright !

Enjoy the most wonderful time of the year with family and friends

and make sure that this incredible feeling never ends !

Happy Holidays !

Shake and family and Bonnie of course xxx

Thanks jp, I think you are fine with words, I like a man that says what he means and believes. Since there is no mistletoe here I will just send you a little  :-* :-* :-*, hey it is Xmas.

This is a wonderful placement for our buddies to read and remember, thanks. :thumbsup::smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Agreeing with all the " live your life now" quotes. Its more about quality of life during tapers - for those of us who are blessed enough to have that since so many don't. My husband used to nag me about my slow taper but I pointed out to him that I dont even think about it for most hours of the day, and I think if I went any faster I would think about it all the time and in a bad way! So I dont worry about being on the meds- Im hoping my doc will keep letting me decrease and Im asking for a cut on my script from 10 mg to 6 mg since I have so much stored up. Im hoping that lets her know I am doing this in a serious well planned way and I hope to learn enough along the way that I wont need any other drugs once I get off this. Its not about how fast you get off- its about giving your brain the time it needs to heal along the way, and appreciating that we are getting the chance to heal.

Agreeing with all the " live your life now" quotes. Its more about quality of life during tapers - for those of us who are blessed enough to have that since so many don't. My husband used to nag me about my slow taper but I pointed out to him that I dont even think about it for most hours of the day, and I think if I went any faster I would think about it all the time and in a bad way! So I dont worry about being on the meds- Im hoping my doc will keep letting me decrease and Im asking for a cut on my script from 10 mg to 6 mg since I have so much stored up. Im hoping that lets her know I am doing this in a serious well planned way and I hope to learn enough along the way that I wont need any other drugs once I get off this. Its not about how fast you get off- its about giving your brain the time it needs to heal along the way, and appreciating that we are getting the chance to heal.

Kitty excellent, you are walking the walk to Recovery. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

I ran across this quote the other day and thought I would place it here.

"Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it."~~A.U

Hi folks,

Thought I'd check-in as we reach the end of another year.  I've fully adopted the "live in the moment" mindset and the "truth" that we have a choice in our own happiness.  I choose to celebrate life and find the things that make me happy.  If I start to worry or get depressed I ask myself if whatever is going on is World-Ending (a slight exaggeration but you know what I mean) and guess what?  It never is. 

My taper continues to go well and I just reached a milestone - under .10!  This from a starting dose of 8mg xanax!

I think this group here will have an awesome 2017! :thumbsup::smitten:

http://www.zingerbug.com/holidays/glitter_graphics/new_year_rainbow_glitter.gif

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way

of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use".~A.U.

Hi Ladies  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope we all have a happy new year and gently slide of these meds.

I think I will get off sometime in March.

Had a new symptom yesterday.

My right eye appeared to be a mirror reflecting a bright light.

This is weird stuff, only lasted a few hours.

Accompanied by benzo headache. Vice like pain in the skull across the temples.

I can actually massage my skull and feel the pain.

God alone knows what people who CT of this stuff have to go thru.

Mind you having CT off Citalopram after 17 years I have a fairly good idea.

My taper besides benzo belly continues to ok.

Nothing like the cut and Hold at the beginning.

Last night went to family and had a meal and played Linkee.

On the way home I realised that, for 4 hours I had felt completely normal.

No thought of withdrawal whatsoever.

This confirms that sitting alone thinking is the worst thing anyone could do in withdrawal.

Activity and distraction are the key to a smooth taper.

When I do have any thoughts of failure I go straight to deep breathing. I practice mindfulness meditation on a daily basis.

jp, such a wonderful post and so true about the distraction and isn't the cats meow, to feel "Normal", it gives us hope for what is yet to come. I have no date when I will gently "Walk Off", but I know the numbers, but chose not to even think of it, choices are good to have.

About your eye, I went through a period that I was seeing flashes and super imposed images on my windshield, I was a mite worried, so when I had my annual eye exam I told the Doctor, and he did tons of test, found nothing, and I was so happy, eventually it went away and so glad it was not something wrong with my eyes.

I know we will all have a good New Year, it might be trying, but we have tools to help us get through obstacles. I am so glad that I will be walking aside you and the other buddies here, during our Journey off of Benzo's. OK, not sure what Linkee is but glad you had a good time. 

It has been a pleasure meeting you in 2016 and going into 2017. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

Hey jp,

Such good news about your evening!  I often find that when I'm busy thoughts of wd and sxs are completely gone.  I've had eye stuff in the past - heat and warmth, and the occasional feeling of numbness and drooping - usually only affecting the left side. :crazy:

I've had a taste of c/t and also what some huge cuts can produce.  The only good that came of that is knowledge that I can survive some really bad stuff without panic or despair  :thumbsup: and the fact that going at a reasonable pace produces nothing in comparison. :thumbsup:

Happy New Year everyone!  I just want to wish everyone a healthy, happy and love filled year.  We are all getting healthier just by reducing the drug in our systems. I loved reading all of the positive quotes and also want to say that I agree with everyone about keeping busy. It definitely takes the mind off of any withdrawal symptoms. I have to say I have been extremely blessed with my taper. I experienced some minor sfx in the beginning but even those were not bad.  I am down to .15mg from .50 mg per day so I am almost there!  Doing a micro-taper has been the best.  I would suggest it to anyone who may be having trouble with cut and hold. I know we are all different but it has been great for me!  Blessings and peace to everyone! :smitten:

Happy New Year everyone!  I just want to wish everyone a healthy, happy and love filled year.  We are all getting healthier just by reducing the drug in our systems. I loved reading all of the positive quotes and also want to say that I agree with everyone about keeping busy. It definitely takes the mind off of any withdrawal symptoms. I have to say I have been extremely blessed with my taper. I experienced some minor sfx in the beginning but even those were not bad.  I am down to .15mg from .50 mg per day so I am almost there!  Doing a micro-taper has been the best.  I would suggest it to anyone who may be having trouble with cut and hold. I know we are all different but it has been great for me!  Blessings and peace to everyone! :smitten:

Happy New Year Freddy  :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

Freddy, could you let me know about your micro taper if you don't mind.

I have cut and held klonopin from .5mg and am now on .047mg. It seems to be getting harder at the end and am wondering if I should change methods for the last month or so of my taper.

Thanks again and wishing you well for 2017

Freddy, could you let me know about your micro taper if you don't mind.

I have cut and held klonopin from .5mg and am now on .047mg. It seems to be getting harder at the end and am wondering if I should change methods for the last month or so of my taper.

Thanks again and wishing you well for 2017

Hi 2trusting,

I would be happy to answer any questions you have.  I have been using a spreadsheet located here http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=152430.msg2044371#msg2044371 and I am doing daily cuts at a slow steady pace. The spreadsheet converts the pill weight from milligrams into grams.The nice thing about the spreadsheet is you can go as fast or slow as you want and even hold on the days you don't want to make a change.  My suggestion is to download the spreadsheet and play around with it.  You can hit me up with a PM if you have any specific questions. The guy that made the spreadsheet is also still around on Benzo Buddies and I see he still answers questions regarding the spreadsheet if you have any trouble. His username is badsocref. 

Right now my cuts are about .03 per week but done daily instead of one big cut and hold. So for reference this week my daily cuts look like this:

1/1/17 0.154 milligrams = 0.026 grams

1/2/17 0.146 milligrams = 0.025 grams

1/3/17 0.142 milligrams = 0.024 grams

1/4/17 0.138 milligrams = 0.024 grams

1/5/17 0.134 milligrams = 0.023 grams

1/6/17 0.131 milligrams = 0.022 grams

1/7/17 0.127 milligrams = 0.022 grams

1/8/17 0.124 milligrams = 0.021 grams

Total for the week - .03 cut

I may have to go slower once I near .10 but for now this is working for me.  The beauty of the spreadsheet is depending on your symptoms you can hold, or decrease as much as you want.

PM me if you want to discuss further.  I have been following your posts and my heart breaks for the trouble you have been having recently.  I hope you can stabilize soon and finish once and for all. I can tell you are strong, but understand the frustration that comes with this drug.  Peace and light to you!

Happy New Year Freddy👍

Thanks Begood and Lynn.

In an effort to get rid of headache, I decided I had a bug and spent day resting and watching tv.

No headache until 4 pm when bang, I had a light show in my right eye, followed by instant headache.

Lasted about 30 mins.

Headache comes in waves.

So no bug, it's plain old benzo

Not worried.

Just thought at 1.2 mgs I might be over any new sxs.

Watch this space😬😬😬

So tomorrow, back to the old routine of walking and distracting.

jp, now you know, trust me the benzo  >:D likes to keep entertaining us, with new

crap, your plan for tomorrow is a good one, have the upper hand as much as you

can. Benzo's keep on giving no matter how low we are in dosage, their grip is strong,

but we are strong also. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten: