Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's been a while since you posted but I am hoping that mine will be an easy taper as well, although I just started.  Since you posted in August, how have you been doing?  Are you off completely?  I have gone down from 1mg Lorazepam to 1/2 mg for past 3 days and I feel OK although I am having some trouble sleeping.  I wake up in a cold sweat every night and have weird dreams, some anxiety and some slight headaches, but other than that OK.  I feel better during the day because the 1mg was making me feel like I should sleep all day.  I also have been trying to exercise which I haven't done in a long time and I'm hoping that helps. 

One thing I haven't found in my searches is whether being on Prozac helps the withdrawal in any way.  I've been on Prozac for a long time (27 years) and found that it's gotten me through many a tough time and seems to stabilize my reactions to things (although I've never been on/tried to stop a benzo before).  Don't know if you've had any experience with this, but if anyone on the board has any input would be appreciated.  I'm pretty worried about withdrawal because of these boards but, again, hoping I'll find it as easy as you have. 

Thanks. 8)

I stopped the prozac c/t after 25yrs with my first (large) cut of xanax.  This did not affect my mood.  Actually the depression and anxiety disappeared practically overnight.  I think that either the xanax or the prozac or both were causing the mental issues.  It's been almost 2 yrs and the depression and anxiety have not returned.  I still take lamictal.

I am a bit confused here!

Suzie Q

Are you asking if it's ok to CT Prozac after 25 years use?

If yes I would say that some people can stop all psych meds CT.

Lynn proves that point.

Others like me get into a right pickle.

I slowly descended into hell after quitting CT.

I was on Citalopram (Celexa) for 17 years. Very similar to Prozac as an SSRI.

I became very ill with post acute withdrawal syndrome PAWS.

Many on this board have PAWS from CT Benzo's.

If you are one of the unlucky ones PAWS can last for years, particularly after long term use of a medicine.

This is a great talk by Will Hall about why all psych meds should be tapered slowly.

http://willhall.net/comingoffmeds/

Sounds to me like you are doing fine on Prozac.

Is it doing you any harm?

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.  No, I am not thinking of going off Prozac and Lorazepam at the same time; I am hoping that staying on Prozac helps me get off the benzo by keeping me more stable.  I'm not sure if it will, but I think going off both at the same time would be more of a shock to my system.  I was just so surprised to find out (too late of course) that going off a benzo can be such a drag.  If I hadn't done my research I would have quit the benzo CT, for better or for worse. 

I'll have to figure out how to list my progress the way others have.  Just seems like this is a scary journey...sometimes I wish I hadn't read these boards...LOL (sort of).  I also noticed there is a board here that deals specifically with Prozac, so I'll check into that.  Thanks, again, for your help.

Congrats begood!!! It must be such a good feeling so close to the finish line!

Nice job Candice!! one down and one to go!  :thumbsup:

Suzie dont let the horror stories scare you. Many people do not go through horrible tapers. I was scared like you and found that I worried for nothing. I am having a very smooth taper and 1/2 way there. If you find cut and hold difficult you can always try a micro taper like many of us here have. Good luck! :smitten:

Congrats begood!!! It must be such a good feeling so close to the finish line!

Nice job Candice!! one down and one to go!  :thumbsup:

Suzie dont let the horror stories scare you. Many people do not go through horrible tapers. I was scared like you and found that I worried for nothing. I am having a very smooth taper and 1/2 way there. If you find cut and hold difficult you can always try a micro taper like many of us here have. Good luck! :smitten:

[glow=red,2,300]"THANKS",[/glow] Ready yes it does feel good, and even better I am going to hold for a while and just be. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

Hello All! I'm posting this here simply bc I've posted in a couple of places and havent had much in the way of responses

I crossed from Klonipin to Valium the first part of this year to taper from - believing it was the smart thing to do - Since then, I've not been right - furthermore my thyroid TANKED shortly after and we are unable to get it stable through medications - I'm very symptomatic (thyroid symptoms) -

The tank in my thyroid corresponds directly with my switch to valium - i've been on thyroid meds for 20 years with no problems - so I'm well versed in thyroid and its clear that most of my sxs currently are thyroid related especially when looked at with my thyroid numbers

SO - I'm considering crossing BACK to Klonipin - has anyone here crossed back from Valium to their original drug or know of anyone who has - and has had a successful taper?

thanks to you all for reading!!!

I'm pretty stable as far as the taper goes - but i've GOT to get my thyroid normalized before continuing.....

thanks for reading!

I thought it might be worthwhile to pop in with a quick update here. I've already said the same thing on the Valium support group and 3,2,1 thread, so I feel a little repetitive, but...

Day 14 post-jump and everything has been really easy. I felt that I was lucky with my entire taper even though I had some really rough times, but this phase has been mind blowingly easy and I am just so grateful for that. It might all hit me in the next few weeks, but for right now, all I've got is some akathisia when sitting still or at red lights in the car, a tiny bit of head pain, and a tiny bit of stomach pain. That's it. Mentally, I have amazing clarity. I'm a better partner. I'm a more creative person, picking up old projects that I'd dropped long ago. I'm honestly pretty HAPPY every day, even during work, and that's so vastly different from the numbed-out person that I was on Ativan and Valium.

One thing I will note is that I thought they had stopped working for me. Well, maybe they stopped working for anxiety, but they still had me numbed out and mentally foggy! The difference between how I felt then and how I feel now are night and day. Not only did I not have hope to get back to this point, but I honestly forgot that things could feel any differently! I got so used to it. I'm so glad that I was able to snap out of it. I've lost my laziness and my fear in this whole process. I just want to live now and never take a single day for granted.

I know my posts tend to be super sappy and positive, but I have been through some truly terrible things in life and if I don't find the bright side, I'll go nuts. I had to turn this situation into something good. I refused to leave it without leaving it BETTER. I wanted there to be a point to going through this dependence. I wanted it to be worth it. And so far, the changes in me have made it abundantly clear that it was worth any damage that might have been done. I don't feel damaged. I feel stronger. I feel so much more capable to handle whatever life throws my way without any pharmaceutical help to do so.

Sending lots of love to all of you! :smitten:

Thanks S&P

Loved your attitude as you have tapered.

Like what you said today about breathing and not fighting the anxiety when stuck at the lights. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just wanted to update on my progress.  I actually tapered to .33 mg Lorazepam for 2 days (not bothered to list here) and I felt awful and it was probably too soon so I went back to .5 mg.  I'm sleeping Ok but have slight panic attacks when I'm waking up, although they seem to go away quickly.  Generally I feel a little off, like my brain is on slow-mo, but not awful.  Have been trying to exercise as well to relieve any future symptoms.  Still taking Prozac; I'm afraid to go off both at once, although I'd like to get off that as well.  I've had a pretty rough few years personally so I don't blame myself for taking Lorazepam although I wish I had known how bad it was.  At any rate, so far so good and I'm still hoping my taper is as uneventful as some of the posts here.  Thanks, all, for the positive posts....they give me hope.  8)

Im so thankful I listened to the people who told me to take it slow. I had a few people tell me to knock a mg off a week for a while and see how it goes.. if I had done that I think it would have really screwed me up. I listened to the take it slow folks and they said dont do it. I didnt and its been slow and steady and while I still have a lot of bumps I can work and my husband and dog are still here! Hoping that keeping it slow and easy keeps it easy. Congrats to yall who are nearing the jump. I hope to know what thats like in about 16 months!

Wow, this thread may be the only uplifting one on this site!  I love it and would like to join.  I limit my use of BB b/c it increases my anxiety but this thread is comforting actually. My taper hasn't been easy at all but I've had good times.  Actually looking back over the time since my cross to Librium, I would say more than 2/3 of the time, I was feeling pretty good actually.  It's easy to focus on the bad times and when feeling bad, to think this is forever and this is how it always has been and always will be.  But when I actually looked at my notes and calculated bad weeks and good weeks, the good weeks far outnumbered the bad ones.  I'm still trying to figure out how to make the taper even smoother.  But trial and error, keeping notes, and not getting sucked into some of the strong opinions on here are key. Working on staying positive.  I work part time and have 2 young kids and have remained functional during this taper so far despite bad symptoms at times. I socialize, go on vacation, and organize parties and social events for my kids and for my family.  I never had any underlying anxiety issue to begin with....for me, it's all w/d.  But I'm hoping to learn how to keep things running smoothly.  Yes, meditation helps!  Thanks for reading and well wishes to all!

Hi Everyone.

Glad we all seem to be doing ok.

Suzie Q. The morning waking with cortisol surges (feel like mini panic attacks as you wake up), are quite common and do lesson with time and a slow taper. I did read somewhere that Vit C helps to reduce them. Since I read that I have taken 500mgs  Vit C daily and it seems to work. I rarely have them now.

Happy winter solstice to Northern Hemisphere readers. The days start getting longer, hooray!

Hope every one has a good Christmas.

Warning advice coming!! :-[ :-[

If you are new to tapering try not to indulge or overindulge in chocolate, alcohol, sugar and too much food in general as they will ramp up you symptoms. (Sorry)

I cut up my last 2 mg pills up last night. I take 1 mg in pill form and have liquid V for cut.

On 16th Jan I will be down to 1 mg V and done with pills for good.

My GP has removed my prescription for V pills. All small celebrations as I approach the finishing line.

So glad we have some checking in and letting us know their progress, keep up the good work.

Hey JP, that is great, shows what we can do, if we keep plugging along and not let things get in the way. kudos to you. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

Welcome Libr, this is a good group :smitten:

SusieQ, I also take Vit C each day and I read here at BB, that if before you go to bed have a 1/2 nut butter sandwich with 1 glass of natural OJ, it works on your Liver and it seems to help with the surges. :smitten:

Kitty, you were very wise to listen to your gut, it amazes me the things I read, not to worry about 16 months, time goes by in a blink of an eye. Time is your Friend. :smitten:

Hi Lynn, nice to meet you here. Know you had a great day. :smitten:

Hey Begood!  Congrats on reaching 1mg :thumbsup: and so very glad you are doing well my friend!  You are correct that time flies - esp. when tapering at a pace that allows "life" to continue with only mild interruptions. :thumbsup:  I think it slows to a crawl when things are bad. :(

Kitty, I am so happy that you are doing well! :smitten:

jp, a big pat on the back!  :thumbsup:

I'm feeling great and having a wonderful vacation in sunny Florida 8) 8)  The taper is going very well.

Wishing everyone a very joyous Christmas.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hey Begood!  Congrats on reaching 1mg :thumbsup: and so very glad you are doing well my friend!  You are correct that time flies - esp. when tapering at a pace that allows "life" to continue with only mild interruptions. :thumbsup:  I think it slows to a crawl when things are bad. :(

I'm feeling great and having a wonderful vacation in sunny Florida 8) 8)  The taper is going very well.

Thanks Lynn. So very true "I think it slows to a crawl when things are bad". :)" perfect analogy

Thanks Lynn. So very true "I think it slows to a crawl when things are bad". :)" perfect analogy

Hope you don't mind me dropping in?

I have got from .5mg of klonopin to .0585 since the end of April this year, although not really easy I think I have not had it as bad as some on here who have been house bound etc. And yes I totally get that when feeling bad time crawls and when feeling better time fly's

Hope to be done tapering in January or February next year with an eye on having a good summer.