The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

Hi all! I signed up here on Feb 2016. From all I read about benzos I figured I was in for a road to hell and back. I wanted to meticulously plan out my taper plan. I wanted to get support set up for what was about to come. I had been on 2mg of Klonopin (clonazepam) for 6 years. I had a sudden move happen in March so I put off my taper plan until things settled down.

I started seeing a new internal medicine doctor after my move. He told me that in his experience most people don't have much of a problem coming off benzos, though some people have a really hard time. He wanted me to go from 2mg a day to 1mg a day. I thought "whoa from what I have read this guy is nuts and he doesn't know what he is talking about." I figured lets try it, I live across the street from my doctors office and a hospital, if things get bad I will just walk over there and ask for help.

The first 10 days of going from 2mg to 1mg I had increased anxiety. I was just constantly worrying about what was going to hit me. Then one day I realized I was doing it to myself. I changed my thinking and for the next two months I really had no problems. Anxiety didn't increase. I didn't have any sleep problems. I think my CBT I did with a therapist for 14 months worked well for me.

Month three at 1mg a day my anxiety started to creep back up and I though oh this has been too good to be true. Went back to the doctor. We went over my antidepressant history and I told him I really didn't think the Zoloft (sertraline HCI) was doing much for my panic disorder. He switched me over to Paxil (paroxetine) which I had taken about six years ago and it worked pretty well for a few years before it seemed to stop working. He wanted me to stay at 1mg of klonopin until the med switch worked itself out.

Month four my switch from Zoloft to Paxil has smoothed out. I am sleeping a lot. I don't remember this happening when I was on Paxil before. Part of me thinks "could the klonopin have caused insomnia?" I just made a post about it here today. After all I have read I keep thinking to myself 'Why am I sleeping so much? This shouldn't be happening."

Two weeks ago I had to go pick up a prescription. The hospital across the street has a pharmacy which is a blessing for someone with Agoraphobia. Even that walk across the street and through the huge parking lot has set off my agoraphobia more than once since I moved here. This time was different though. Zero anxiety, zero panic, and zero urge to run back home. This got me wondering "Why am I not freaking out?" Then I start to wonder if my Klonopin could have been causing anxiety this whole time? Is the Paxil really working that well? I should probably stop questioning it and just enjoy it. But hey, worry is my middle name.

Four days ago I went back to my doctor. We both agree we are going to try to go from 1mg a day to 0.5mg a day. Again part of me thinks this is way too fast and way too big of a jump. But I did pretty awesome with the 2mg to 1mg jump. If things go bad he says we will just go back up to 1mg and make a new plan. Part of me thinks this will go awesome. Part of me thinks hell is about to hit me. I am just going to take it one day at a time and listen to my body.

I have thought about this site a lot the last four months and I have been scared to post. So many people are suffering through so much here. I didn't want to think I am belittling them with my story. I don't want people to hate me because it has been easy for me. I don't know if they will inspire anyone. Maybe if you are new here you will win the benzo withdrawal lotto like I did and not have much of a hard time with it.

Definitely never worry about anyone hating you. If they do, it's not your fault. There's no reason you should ever feel guilty for being okay. If anything, people need to see it since the psych aspect of this whole thing is so strong. I was a mess in the beginning and after I stopped actively freaking out, everything changed. Night and day.

May you continue to do well on your taper.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is quite magical. Really gives you hope. I have often said that I've only had bad hours and not bad days, and at 0.5 mg that is still true. Some truly bad hours, yes, BUT if I think about the actual amount of time compared to the amount of time when I've been fine through this taper, it's been miniscule.

I too have struggled with guilt over posting good updates when others are struggling. But so many have messaged me and said that my posts give them hope, so I hope that's generally the case.

I anticipated a full-on nightmare. I honestly cannot believe that I've just kept on trucking even when it got rough, and even more so can't believe that I have had a pretty easy taper overall. Cheers to this thread inspiring others to keep getting up every morning and getting on with their days on fewer and fewer benzos! :thumbsup:

I started my micro-taper Monday10/31 and so far so good. 5 days in and no sfx.  I am hopeful this is how it is going to be!  Like many others I was terrified by the horror stories. I found this thread and saw the success stories of others which gave me hope.  I also was fortunate to have member NYC2016 give me tips. His story inspired me since we were on almost the same amount of time. With this thread we can all lift each other. Much success to all of you still going through the process and congrats to the people who have completed their journey. Thank you for giving back to the community with your words of wisdom. Hope everyone has a great symptom free weekend! :):thumbsup:

I started my micro-taper Monday10/31 and so far so good. 5 days in and no sfx.  I am hopeful this is how it is going to be!  Like many others I was terrified by the horror stories. I found this thread and saw the success stories of others which gave me hope.  I also was fortunate to have member NYC2016 give me tips. His story inspired me since we were on almost the same amount of time. With this thread we can all lift each other. Much success to all of you still going through the process and congrats to the people who have completed their journey. Thank you for giving back to the community with your words of wisdom. Hope everyone has a great symptom free weekend! :):thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi all,

With the agreement of Sonia (who started this thread) and the help of the moderators this thread has been moved from "withdrawal support" (during your taper) to this new spot.

My taper continues to improve as I get lower. Nearly at 2mgs. OMG can't believe this long journey is coming towards an end.

Still going to take well over 4  months to taper last 2 mgs.

My only niggling symptom besides tinnitus is a couple of nights a week as I fall asleep I wake suddenly with a panicky feeling. It happens in the first hour of sleep.

I deep breath and get back to sleep ok.

Still walking my 4-6 miles a day as I have thru my taper.

Which def helps sleep.

Hi all,

With the agreement of Sonia (who started this thread) and the help of the moderators this thread has been moved from "withdrawal support" (during your taper) to this new spot.

My taper continues to improve as I get lower. Nearly at 2mgs. OMG can't believe this long journey is coming towards an end.

My only niggling symptom besides tinnitus is a couple of nights a week as I fall asleep I wake suddenly with a panicky feeling. It happens in the first hour of sleep.

Which def helps sleep.

This is great news - Thanks JP! this is a great thread - I too have some sxs but nothing major - nothing i can't handle and i am determined to stay positive and hopeful as long as possible.......

Exercise is HUGE for me.......

Hi all,

Which def helps sleep.

Great job, JP!  Glad to see things are going slow, steady, and positively for you.

Best,

Ed

Thanks guys😀

Positive mental attitude is the key to getting thru this in one piece.

Any symptoms I have had during my taper, I have checked the Ashton manual to see if it's listed.

Once I saw it there in black and white the fear and uncertainty was lifted.

It's was ok.

This too shall pass.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for this thread. I am doing the Ashton method all the way down as agreed upon by my doctor with a few minor tweaks. When I got to 10mg, I hit a wall and after reading the horror stories,  I have spun myself right into a sea of debilitating panic. This thread gives me hope that it might not be so bad and to keep positive. It really is a choice.  I'm at 8mg right now from 60 last November. I'm tapering to 7mg after Thanksgiving!

Day 5 of absolutely zero withdrawal!  It is possible to have a mild taper.  Just take your time and listen to your body.  Above all stay positive!

Nice one Lynn :)

Miss Hopeful.

I don't read the horror stories.

Moya in Progress log and begood in buddie blogs are nice posts to read each day.

Acceptance and mindfulness are the pillars of my recovery.

Nice long deep breathing.

I have recently downloaded the Calm mindfulness app.

But there is loads of free stuff on you tube and online.

10 mins a day is all that's needed.

Feel free to do more :)

You are doing great.

You may need, or not as the case may be, to slow a little, as you get lower.

Thank you so much for this thread. I am doing the Ashton method all the way down as agreed upon by my doctor with a few minor tweaks. When I got to 10mg, I hit a wall and after reading the horror stories,  I have spun myself right into a sea of debilitating panic. This thread gives me hope that it might not be so bad and to keep positive. It really is a choice.  I'm at 8mg right now from 60 last November. I'm tapering to 7mg after Thanksgiving!

Look at how far you've come! Wow. That is super inspirational. I hope to see you let go of the panic and begin enjoying your days now instead of waiting until your taper is done. It is normal to have bad hours or bad days, but you can choose to keep moving right through them and come out on the other side. It probably seems like the road ahead is a long one but it'll pass quicker than you think. Stay strong! You can do this!

:smitten:

Fight,

I'm sure that I kindled.  I was on, off, up and down on benzo's for 25yrs.  I sure think this would have caused all kinds of issues - but I am fine and you will be to! :thumbsup:

Nice one Lynn :)

Miss Hopeful.

I don't read the horror stories.

Moya in Progress log and begood in buddie blogs are nice posts to read each day.

Acceptance and mindfulness are the pillars of my recovery.

Nice long deep breathing.

I have recently downloaded the Calm mindfulness app.

But there is loads of free stuff on you tube and online.

10 mins a day is all that's needed.

Feel free to do more :)

You are doing great.

You may need, or not as the case may be, to slow a little, as you get lower.

Thank you, for reading Our Blog, this is just wonderful, there are such good vibes there, and Positivity seems to be key, I tend to get lost when going to other threads and I delete too soon, but my dear friend Lynn just brought it to my attention of the shout out here, this has made my day, JP you are doing a good job here, and I am glad you are helping so many. Oh I am close to tears honestly... :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

Hey JP,

You got that right about Begood and Moya - a couple of the best buddies here.  This is where I choose to hang out (and, now, here as well)! :thumbsup: 

Fight,

I'm sure that I kindled.  I was on, off, up and down on benzo's for 25yrs.  I sure think this would have caused all kinds of issues - but I am fine and you will be to! :thumbsup:

Awesome - this gives me huge hope today!!

Lynn and Begood

Thank you sooooo much.

Your responses have made my day too.

I read your posts every day.

I am not a massive poster as you can see.

Nearly a hundred in 17 months is not prolific :laugh:

But I try and remain positive throughout this journey.

What a journey,

That does not kill you, makes you stronger.

I believe we will be better for this.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hello all - I posted here the other day bc I was worried and looking for some support but in keeping with the subject of this board, I wanted to report that I had a GREAT meeting with a Benzo Wise therapist yesterday - she has overseen many do micro tapers and said NONE have ended up protracted - all have healed and she gave me such a good feeling......LOVE her

and in honesty - I'm just scared bc my symptoms are minimal - I'm doing FINE - engaged in my life with my kids - I'm holding for now but I have no reason to believe that once I start again - and take it slow - I will be just fine

so thank you Lynn and all that have shown support - Today is GOOD......Keeping you all in my thoughts today as well!

Fight F M Life.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Personally I have been tapering for 17 months and it will be 21 months approx to taper 20 mgs Valium.

I have had sxs of course.

But as i get lower they reduce in intensity.

I have no reason to see why this should change going forward.

I meditate every day. Deep breathing when I get intrusive thoughts. Just 3 long deep abdominal breaths.

They just melt away if you don't give them power.

You have absolutely no need to be scared. ;)

Then distract with whatever you enjoy doing.

It works honestly :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: