Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

hey fight.......is a therapist a psychiatrist.  Can a therapist prescribe meds??????  I'm still struggling......looking for a new doc

Hi Lemondrop - unfortunately no she doesn't prescribe. She is a PhD but has worked w many doing microtapers and is reaching out to my prescribing Dr as well. My experience has been though - that psychiatrists are better when it comes to being open about tapering methods (as in comparison to PCP's or Internists. Even though they get so many into this mess, they are (somewhat) better educated in the perils of weaning off.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Fight F M Life.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Personally I have been tapering for 17 months and it will be 21 months approx to taper 20 mgs Valium.

I have had sxs of course.

But as i get lower they reduce in intensity.

I have no reason to see why this should change going forward.

I meditate every day. Deep breathing when I get intrusive thoughts. Just 3 long deep abdominal breaths.

They just melt away if you don't give them power.

You have absolutely no need to be scared. ;)

Then distract with whatever you enjoy doing.

It works honestly :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you JP!! Great advice - I really feel fine other than cog fog (which i started experiencing about a year after starting the drug but didnt realize it was related) and pain in my hands - but I'm OK - I feel good today......Thanks for all the support here - Its great.....

Many may laugh.  After trying cold turkey fast tapers even Ashton schedule I ended up dropping .025 per day of v.  It's been so much smoother.  Yes I even held with family stress going on.  I totally recommend a slow taper.  Of course to each their own.  Tried and true works.

Many may laugh.  After trying cold turkey fast tapers even Ashton schedule I ended up dropping .025 per day of v.  It's been so much smoother.  Yes I even held with family stress going on.  I totally recommend a slow taper.  Of course to each their own.  Tried and true works.

Thanks SBT - I too am about to start a very slow taper - 50days to drop 1/2mg in the beginning and then I'll probably even slow it down further......Once I get to the 6mg mark

I am on my way down to 1mg

Doing a 75 day daily taper for this mg.

Thought this poem was really good.

Could be our benzo withdrawal poem.

Personally I practice mindfulness daily to shut my monkey up. :laugh: :laugh:

Kaveri Patel

THANKING A MONKEY

There’s a monkey in my mind

swinging on a trapeze,

reaching back to the past

or leaning into the future,

never standing still.

Sometimes I want to kill

that monkey, shoot it square

between the eyes so I won’t

have to think anymore

or feel the pain of worry.

But today I thanked her

and she jumped down

straight into my lap,

trapeze still swinging

as we sat still.

My main issues with the taper is overwhelming depression.  Does that lift as valium decreases?

Mine has. It is at its worst in the morning laying in bed but if I get up and get occupied, I forget about it. When I look back it has gotten much better. I had crushing depression and SI (knew it was withdrawal so I would never act on it though). Thank heavens that has lifted as I've never felt that depressed in my life. I think the emotional blunting makes it worse for us. The good news is I am starting to laugh again which I haven't done for years!

You're doing a reasonable taper so hopefully you'll start to feel better as you go down. :)--V

Thank you. I need that support. Holidays amplify it.

You're supported, Magnolis! - for me, fear can be debilitating and a great catalyst of fear -  the fear of what's to come is likely way worse than the journey itself........we will be OK!

Happy Thanksgiving to all and (((hugs)))

Thank you. I need that support. Holidays amplify it.

You're supported, Magnolis! - for me, fear can be debilitating and a great catalyst of fear -  the fear of what's to come is likely way worse than the journey itself........we will be OK!

Happy Thanksgiving to all and (((hugs)))

Although not debilitating I also wind myself up wondering what is around the corner whether it be tomorrow, my next cut of finally jumping off. It is actually a bit worse now that I am pretty low and have not had many bad side effects for a while.

I am sure many have been through this and are now okay.

Fear (anxiety) seems to be a real problem for many.  If I start to worry about a bad cut or protracted, I just remind myself that I've been through the worst early in this taper AND I SURVIVED IT!  AND IT WENT AWAY! :)  AND I'LL BE FINE! :thumbsup:

Fear (anxiety) seems to be a real problem for many.  If I start to worry about a bad cut or protracted, I just remind myself that I've been through the worst early in this taper AND I SURVIVED IT!  AND IT WENT AWAY! :)  AND I'LL BE FINE! :thumbsup:

and it's hard to discriminate between anxiety from our fear of whats to come (normal)  anxiety from withdrawal - I know the chemical terror I feel when I wake is def. withdrawal related - the rest, I think I have control of - I'm working on that - bc I know things would be a lot "Easier" (as this thread is for) if i could shed the over thinking about the process......

Thank you Lynn and JP for always being positive - If I could just get out of my inlaws house and back home - away from political views that are NOT mine - Oh its just making me crazy - hmmm - inlaws or withdrawal??? tough choice  :D:laugh:

and it's hard to discriminate between anxiety from our fear of whats to come (normal)  anxiety from withdrawal - I know the chemical terror I feel when I wake is def. withdrawal related - the rest, I think I have control of - I'm working on that - bc I know things would be a lot "Easier" (as this thread is for) if i could shed the over thinking about the process......

Thank you Lynn and JP for always being positive - If I could just get out of my inlaws house and back home - away from political views that are NOT mine - Oh its just making me crazy - hmmm - inlaws or withdrawal??? tough choice  :D:laugh:

Hi all.

Lynn so true"

FforML

So true what you say above.

I am on 1 mg V morning and .8 V evening.

I am fairly convinced I forgot my morning dose on Tues morning.

I keep forgetting to dose until sometimes an hour or so after dose time.

I suppose this is a good sign and I am less reliant on it.

I never used to forget at higher doses

Yesterday and today I have def felt stressed and wired and as you said above ffml, it is difficult to distinguish it from my thinking or chemical.

I suddenly become self aware and when this happens I take a few deep breaths.

Tinnitus is volume is up as well.

I did my mindfulness this morning and didn't become deeply relaxed as usual so I am plumping for 90% chemical and 10% thinking.

Having said that I def feel better than I did earlier in my taper, even with this blip.

This too shall pass.

This is the a link to my go to mindfulness. I do the first one called relaxing healing meditation. It's by bliss Johns who went thru withdrawal herself.

http://www.recovery-road.org/bloom-in-wellness-videos

Quote from butterfly1 in daily micro tapering group today.

"I am a huge advocate of positive thinking, meditation, relaxation, exercise of some sort. Whatever can help we need to use anything and everything that is positive!"

Here here!!

Today despite feeling a bit low I have;

Done some art work. (Also got a commision for £600)😀

Been shopping.

Meditated.

Walked 6.5 miles (2 dogs)

Quote from butterfly1 in daily micro tapering group today.

"I am a huge advocate of positive thinking, meditation, relaxation, exercise of some sort. Whatever can help we need to use anything and everything that is positive!"

Here here!!

Today despite feeling a bit low I have;

Done some art work. (Also got a commision for £600)😀

Been shopping.

Meditated.

Walked 6.5 miles (2 dogs)

Love this, "I am a huge advocate of positive thinking, meditation, relaxation, exercise of some sort. Whatever can help we need to use anything and everything that is positive!" Also jp wonderful that you keep doing your "Thing" no matter what. Kudos to you. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten: 

I just wanted to give an update on my progress. I am doing very well. It has been a month since I started my dry cut daily taper. (see stats in sig) My biggest side effect has been muscle tension in shoulders and neck. This becomes worse when I am at my desk. I try to get up every 45 mins to stretch and move for a minute or two. I try to work out on my elliptical at least 5 times per week for 30-60 minutes.  I also do at least 30 minutes of yoga a day.  Yoga really helps tense muscles. I eat healthy getting 5 or more fruits and veggies per day.  I think all of this helps. I take epsom salt baths and also take magnesium and melatonin for sleep.  So far so good! I am hopeful it will stay this way because I feel extremely fortunate that my slow taper is working!  :) Keep up the good fight every one!  :smitten:

Ready, that is great to hear, I needed to hear some good thoughts this morning, and your advice for doing Yoga is a good one. Best to you and your Journey Off. Oh I forgot, when I get the muscle tension in my neck I use a small vibrator with four pongs, and it is powerful and really loosens up that muscle tension, I brought it at Walgreens and is very cheap, but powerful. :thumbsup:

Ready, that is great to hear, I needed to hear some good thoughts this morning, and your advice for doing Yoga is a good one. Best to you and your Journey Off. Oh I forgot, when I get the muscle tension in my neck I use a small vibrator with four pongs, and it is powerful and really loosens up that muscle tension, I brought it at Walgreens and is very cheap, but powerful. :thumbsup:

I am glad I could help begood!  The yoga really lessened my sfx.  I have read yoga is one thing that can naturally boost gaba in our brains.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3111147/

I was amazed how much more calm I felt and muscle tension diminishes greatly. I will keep this practice long after I am off benzos.  I look forward to it!  Funny you mentioned the vibrator for muscle tension.  I have one of the big ones and grind that thing in my neck and shoulders! haha  :laugh: My husband can't believe how hard a press it in my muscles, but he has never suffered muscle tension from benzo withdrawal either.  :D  Keep fighting the good fight begood.  You will get through this!!!