Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

O.K., I'm mathematically a mess too. I have a question just for the fun of learning the math. If I could learn the PROCESS behind the math (rather than someone just telling me the end-result), then I could figure things out in time.

Anyway, I currently put my 1mg of clonazepam pill in 98ml of water (after dissolving in 2ml of vodka). That's easy math for me since 1ml = .01mg. I'm reducing .01mg/day now. How would the math work if I only made, say 20ml, of solution? In other words, 2ml of dissolved vodka + 18ml of water. In that scenario, how would the math work as far as reducing .01mg/day or maybe a smaller cut of .0025mg/day?

I'd love to learn how to do the math!!

Thanks...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

As Anne said, just divide your mgs by the total liquid they are in.

BUT...please don't use only 20ml!!  Water only dissolves about .03mg K per ml so 20ml will only hold .6mg and the rest may want to come back out of solution and settle on the bottom.  When solubility is so low the amount of liquid matters.  I'd stick with 100ml or more.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K., I'm mathematically a mess too. I have a question just for the fun of learning the math. If I could learn the PROCESS behind the math (rather than someone just telling me the end-result), then I could figure things out in time.

Anyway, I currently put my 1mg of clonazepam pill in 98ml of water (after dissolving in 2ml of vodka). That's easy math for me since 1ml = .01mg. I'm reducing .01mg/day now. How would the math work if I only made, say 20ml, of solution? In other words, 2ml of dissolved vodka + 18ml of water. In that scenario, how would the math work as far as reducing .01mg/day or maybe a smaller cut of .0025mg/day?

Thanks...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

BUT...please don't use only 20ml!!  Water only dissolves about .03mg K per ml so 20ml will only hold .6mg and the rest may want to come back out of solution and settle on the bottom.  When solubility is so low the amount of liquid matters.  I'd stick with 100ml or more.

I agree with SG.  Do not use small volumes.  100 mL is perfect.

hi friends

ive been breaking one wafer at night apx half for while till bf leaves mon and then figure how to titrate. need help w taht .

i had to fast 12 hrs for lab today -(at 1130)  can that throw you down hard?? feel like i hit a wall. bf drove me and then off to errand we brought chilit for in the car after the lab.

yesterday ok able to drive to DO and after was riding to friends to drop off boat and i had sudden hunger w no food and findally got some but it put me in a bad state too

DO said she could only call rx this once but didnt know bout compounding and i gotta see psych for that. old pnurse wont do it either. maybe the one pharm can tell me Drs that call in compounds? trying not to get worked up about this. I had to skip going to the neurotherapy i started trying out infact to think about anything i have to do panics me so i did stretches, tried to nap, breathwork....

Should i take part of my night time dose?? i cant believe how i cant manage simplist things. felt better in june but its not letting up lately.  i have brief periods of some relief mostly pm. not cutting - why so hard? I am really really weak and keep trembling and cant think (4hrs sleep woke in worse sweat and anxiety kept me up)

i am trying to keep it together since my bf has let up on me bout doing ct and i need to get my head together to tallk w sister too. if she saw me now shed say maybe you should consider a detox. feelin pressure

should i post this on other board?

Got your PM and wanted to respond on the board. Yes, this is the place for help with micro-tapering, which is often done as liquid titration. Unfortunately, I am not one of the math gurus and, trust me, you don't want me explaining how to titrate. But, if you ask plainly and simply for what you need, including what your exact current doses are and when you take them, you are likely to get the attention of one of our math gurus, who will step in to help.

Besides the part I put in bold, the rest of this seems to belong on the withdrawal support forum. This is the micro-tapering support forum. We would love to help you with micro-tapering if you are ready to try it! Personally, I think it's the way to go.

:smitten:

Sharkey, I'm truly sorry for your loss. You're right...a bitter sweet day. A loss of one life and the gain of a new one. My best to you, buddy. We all thank you for what you do.

Blessings!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Where you at with your taper?  Things still going smooth for you?

sharkey

Hey Sharkey,

Yep, still doing well and hanging in there. Took "a day off" yesterday to spend with our daughter who's in town for a few days from college. I'm down to a whopping 2.38mg of clonazepam, but trying not to think about it. Like I always say, it's better than the 8 that I was on! A day at a time.

Keep on rockin' on your benzo-free life. You're the bestest!

Jeff

Great job man keep trucking!!

Sorry for the confusion.  OK how does this sound: Take .5mg Xanax, shake well in .5ml milk, for a .45mg dose Xanax, waste .05 ml. This leaves a dose of .45mg Xanax in .45ml milk. Add .55ml milk back, giving you .45mg Xanax in 1ml milk. Shake well and take .33ml per dose?  Then the next day waste .06ml and so on. I know the measuring device is small, but that enables me to be more accurate. What do you think? Thanks for the input guys.

RDB,

I agree with SG and Builder.  It is best to work with a larger volume. You can work with either very small or very large volumes.  In theory it will work either way. When working with very small volumes you will do fine as long as the measurement is error free. But, some error is associated with all measurements. The error associated with a very small volume will be magnified--a very large error compared to the same error associated with a larger volume.

Hope this helps,

Anne

:thumbsup:

Thanks...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

If you have 1  mg in 20 mL of liquid    1mg/20 mL = 0.05 mg/mL  So, 0.05 mg in 1 mL.

To reduce by 0.01 mg daily you would remove 0.2 mL.    0.01 mg/0.05 mg/mL = 0.2 mL

To reduce by 0.0025 mg daily  you would remove 0.0025 mg/0.05 mg/mL = 0.05 mL

You just divide the amount, in mg,  you want to remove by the amount, mg, in 1 mL

Hope this helps.

Anne

:crazy: Thanks for the effort, Anne. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and then ask you all what to do as I get to the lower doses. I just see so many people here asking for math help, and I wanted to see if I could learn the logic behind it. Not!! I pray to everything holy that people will be someplace where I can find help here on BB when the time comes. I've got so far to go that I was thinking you'd all be gone by the time I got down to the lower doses you're all talking about. Well, almost all of you who are in the thread now WILL be gone by the time I get to that point. At least that's good news for all/most of you!! Thanks again.

Jeff

Thanks...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, SG.  I had no idea about that. I'll definitely keep things at the higher amounts of water until the bitter end. I didn't plan on using such a small amount (20ml, for example); I just saw other posts where some of the math used smaller amounts of the liquid. I didn't understand why. I guess it all just depends on what people are doing and with what. Again, I pray like crazy that people are around to help me when I get to the lower doses. I'm looking at a pretty long time in the future.

Appreciate you!

Jeff

Thanks...

Jeff

So to calculate how much med is in your dose:

Divide the dose amount by how many ml

1mg/100ml=.01mg/ml

1mg/20ml=.05mg/ml

SO

.05mg/20 = .0025mg or .05ml

As they said, please stick to 100ml.  As Anne mentioned in another post.  If you make small error with 100ml it will not affect you near as bad as if you make a small error with 10ml.

sharkey

Thanks...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, SG.  I had no idea about that. I'll definitely keep things at the higher amounts of water until the bitter end. I didn't plan on using such a small amount (20ml, for example); I just saw other posts where some of the math used smaller amounts of the liquid. I didn't understand why. I guess it all just depends on what people are doing and with what. Again, I pray like crazy that people are around to help me when I get to the lower doses. I'm looking at a pretty long time in the future.

Appreciate you!

Jeff

Jeff, you are dissolving in vodka so the amount of water shouldn't effect your solubility, right SG?  BUT it will effect your measuring accuracy as I mentioned above.

Thanks...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

BUT...please don't use only 20ml!!  Water only dissolves about .03mg K per ml so 20ml will only hold .6mg and the rest may want to come back out of solution and settle on the bottomWhen solubility is so low the amount of liquid matters.  I'd stick with 100ml or more.

Appreciate you!

Jeff

Oh...one other thing, SG: You said that some will want to come out of solution and settle. I'm lost on that. I thought that dissolving the 1mg tablet of clonazepam in Vodka DISSOLVED the tablet, no??  (Ooops!!  Just saw that Sharkey asked the same. It showed up on my screen after I entered this post)

I am water titrating temazepam capsules.  I started on 7/3/2015.  I have notice that I have a sore throat.  I was wondering is that way they put the Temazepam powder in the capsule?  Is it unsafe to shallow the powder without the capsule even if it is  titrated in water?  Has anyone else experienced this while water  titrating Teamzepam?  I am really doing well with this method and I do not want to go back trying to measure the powder.

FluterByee said she had the same thing happen.  Maybe she has an answer about how to handle it.  Make sure you wash down with water after you dose.

sharkey

Hi Jeff,

Appreciate you!

Jeff

Jeff, you are dissolving in vodka so the amount of water shouldn't effect your solubility, right SG?  BUT it will effect your measuring accuracy as I mentioned above.

Well, if there is NOT ENOUGH water I think the K could come back out of solution.  It's called "precipitation."  Basically liquids have a limit as to how much they can dissolve.  There is a ceiling and if you reach it there is no more room at the inn.  And when water dissolves K it can only hold about .03mg in each ml...not much, but enough if there is a lot of it.  The limit for 100ml would be 3mg K (~.03mg/ml).  10ml could only hold .3mg.

Here's how I think this method works.  The K is dissolved in the few mls of alcohol no problem.  Then all that water is added and it can also dissolve K, but only a little (~.03mg/ml).  But that is okay as the K is already dissolved in the alcohol and the alcohol and water mix extremely well (in fact the alcohol is really already an alcohol/water mixture).  As the two liquids mix it quickly becomes basically water.  2ml of 80 proof only contains .8ml ethanol and the rest is mostly water so the final mixture is about 99.2% water and .8% ethanol.  That's water!!  And it has the properties of water, including solubility.

The water would have been able to dissolve the K by itself, but it just might take a long time (and probably does based on the failure rates of that method).  Using alcohol is a neat trick to get it into solution in water quickly and effectively.  Anyway, that's what I think happens.

Aaaagh! My favorite "avatar" on Benzo Buddies (Sharkey hugging his wife) has disappeared and been replaced by what appears to be a ROFL demo!!!  >:(

Oops :(  how is this one  :smitten:

Way better!! :thumbsup:

I agree, sharkey, way better! I too was missing your avatar! Congrats again on your progress. Gives me hope.

Well, if there is NOT ENOUGH water I think the K could come back out of solution.  It's called "precipitation."  Basically liquids have a limit as to how much they can dissolve.  There is a ceiling and if you reach it there is no more room at the inn.  And when water dissolves K it can only hold about .03mg in each ml...not much, but enough if there is a lot of it.  The limit for 100ml would be 3mg K (~.03mg/ml).  10ml could only hold .3mg.

Here's how I think this method works.  The K is dissolved in the few mls of alcohol no problem.  Then all that water is added and it can also dissolve K, but only a little (~.03mg/ml).  But that is okay as the K is already dissolved in the alcohol and the alcohol and water mix extremely well (in fact the alcohol is really already an alcohol/water mixture).  As the two liquids mix it quickly becomes basically water.  2ml of 80 proof only contains .8ml ethanol and the rest is mostly water so the final mixture is about 99.2% water and .8% ethanol.  That's water!!  And it has the properties of water, including solubility.

The water would have been able to dissolve the K by itself, but it just might take a long time (and probably does based on the failure rates of that method).  Using alcohol is a neat trick to get it into solution in water quickly and effectively.  Anyway, that's what I think happens.

Good Stuff SG thanks!  I didn't know all that.  :thumbsup:

Stay strong!

sharkey

Hi Jeff,

Appreciate you!

Jeff

Now my brain is in knots! :o

:laugh:

Hello MT Buddies,

Just a little update:  I am on day 3 of my switch to liquid at my normal dose.  Today I appear to be adjusting to the change better.  Just had a bit of irritability and anxiety but I am going to have to find a better way to deal with it because I really want to be successful in my taper.  I want the old me back.

Welcome to all the newbies.  I am a newbie too.

Thank you all for your continued info and support.  I could not do this without you.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey Doodle!

I'm so glad to read that.

During my taper I had lots of anxiety and irritability . With acceptance of things just being like that for a while ( which didn't come in a day ) , things got better and I agree it's important we find other ways to deal with that. Which isn't always easy, since most of this , for me, was chemically induced.

I have not been an angry person at all before this journey but boy.... I had some rages on this junk.

What helped me much was guided meditations I found on YouTube. Bellaruth Naperstek has some nice calming guided imagery ones .

Some people are also greatly helped with Tapping.

Maybe these are things that'll work for you.

I hear you on wanting the old you back. I don't think I'll ever be the same , and I don't think I could be. But I find myself back little by little and in ways I feel like a better person because of it.

So much has happened , I'll never take day to day things for granted anymore.  :thumbsup:

Hey Moodle,

Thanks for your response and sharing your experience.

This is day 4 on the liquid and some of the irritability has subsided and am amazed that my thinking is clearer.  The ativan has not only made me feel numb but paralyzed my brain in that I could not make a decision about anything.  It has been very scary.

Yes, I will never be the same person too.  The old me is what got me into this brain fog mess.  Hopefully, this entire experience will make me wiser.

It seems to me that I learned the tapping technique some years ago.  I will check out those guided meditations on youtube.  Acceptance is a good tool too.  Last night I was reading a book about mindfulness and it talked about acceptance.

Here's to our healing.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hello MT Buddies,

Just a little update:  I am on day 3 of my switch to liquid at my normal dose.  Today I appear to be adjusting to the change better.  Just had a bit of irritability and anxiety but I am going to have to find a better way to deal with it because I really want to be successful in my taper.  I want the old me back.

Thank you all for your continued info and support.  I could not do this without you.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey Doodle!

During my taper I had lots of anxiety and irritability . With acceptance of things just being like that for a while ( which didn't come in a day ) , things got better and I agree it's important we find other ways to deal with that. Which isn't always easy, since most of this , for me, was chemically induced.

I have not been an angry person at all before this journey but boy.... I had some rages on this junk.

What helped me much was guided meditations I found on YouTube. Bellaruth Naperstek has some nice calming guided imagery ones .

I hear you on wanting the old you back. I don't think I'll ever be the same , and I don't think I could be. But I find myself back little by little and in ways I feel like a better person because of it.

So much has happened , I'll never take day to day things for granted anymore.  :thumbsup:

Hey Moodle and Doodle! Glad to hear things are going OK for both of you. Thanks for the guided meditation suggestion. I'm always on the lookout for those. I am right with you both on really missing the old me. I think that's the hardest part of this. For my kids, too.  :(

But, there are also parts of the old me that I and they hope to never get back!  :laugh:

Hey Gardener,

I agree.  There are parts of the old  me that I do not want back too.

I hope that you are doing well in your taper.

I sort of feel like a mad scientist measuring and mixing everything. :D

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hello MT Buddies,

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle Dog,

I am glad to hear you are doing better. Just make sure you swirl the liquid before measuring and once you have taken your dose, add some water to the container and drink.  Better to be cautious.

Have a great day

Anne

Hey Anne,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I am doing exactly what you said....swirling and adding water to the cup that I just drank from to drink too.  Seems to be working good.

I hope that your taper is going well.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hello MT Buddies,

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle Dog,

I am glad to hear you are doing better. Just make sure you swirl the liquid before measuring and once you have taken your dose, add some water to the container and drink.  Better to be cautious.

Have a great day

Anne

Hey Anne,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I am doing exactly what you said....swirling and adding water to the cup that I just drank from to drink too.  Seems to be working good.

I hope that your taper is going well.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hi Doodle Dog,

Thank you for asking. I am so happy to hear that you are feeling a bit better today.  Were you stabilized on your dose before you started using the liquid? For my first taper, I was completely stabilized, but not for this one.  I do feel better than I did just a few weeks ago though. My symptoms now are manageable and much less intense.  I hope it is the same for you.  I think patience is the key. I have tapered down from 0.75 mg/day to 0.56 mg/day. I will be down to where you are in November if all goes well. 

I wish you a good day tomorrow!!

Anne

Hi MT Team!

Day three of using the liquid K (vodka/water) solution at full dose.  Nothing significant to report other than some of the old tension in the jaw and teeth.  A wee bit of insomnia, but that may just be due to "stuff" going on with my life right now.  I plan to keep this up for 10 days and see how I feel.  If I am doing well, I will hopefully get up the nerve to start the taper July 16. 

Again, I cannot say thanks enough to the folks on this MT thread. It is by far the best on BB IMHO.

All the best to those on this journey to benzo freedom.  For those who have jumped and remain here to help, YOU ARE TRUE HEROES. 

Sharkey, Builder, SG, Anne, Moodle, Doodle Dog, Jeff, Gardner...and I will learn everyone else's names too, thank you and hang tough! 

G'nite,

Shaani

Hi MT Team!

Day three of using the liquid K (vodka/water) solution at full dose.  Nothing significant to report other than some of the old tension in the jaw and teeth.  A wee bit of insomnia, but that may just be due to "stuff" going on with my life right now.  I plan to keep this up for 10 days and see how I feel.  If I am doing well, I will hopefully get up the nerve to start the taper July 16. 

Again, I cannot say thanks enough to the folks on this MT thread. It is by far the best on BB IMHO.

All the best to those on this journey to benzo freedom.  For those who have jumped and remain here to help, YOU ARE TRUE HEROES. 

Sharkey, Builder, SG, Anne, Moodle, Doodle Dog, Jeff, Gardner...and I will learn everyone else's names too, thank you and hang tough! 

G'nite,

Shaani

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad the switch is going well for you!  ;D

Hi MT Team!

G'nite,

Shaani

Shaani,

I am happy to hear that you are doing well with the liquid. 

Have a great evening,

Anne

Hi MT Team!

G'nite,

Shaani

Hello Shaani,

So happy to read that you are doing well.  I was scared to start like you were, however, I knew that I had procrastinated long enough.

Here's to a smooth transition so that you can start your taper on the 16th.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hello MT Buddies,

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey Doodle!

Hey Moodle and Doodle! Glad to hear things are going OK for both of you. Thanks for the guided meditation suggestion. I'm always on the lookout for those. I am right with you both on really missing the old me. I think that's the hardest part of this. For my kids, too.  :(

But, there are also parts of the old me that I and they hope to never get back!  :laugh:

Hey Gardener,

I agree.  There are parts of the old  me that I do not want back too.

I hope that you are doing well in your taper.

I sort of feel like a mad scientist measuring and mixing everything. :D

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey Doodle and Gardener,

Bellaruth Naperstek has some very helpful and relaxing guided imagery meditations. You can just google for her you tubes , there are so many.

Here are two that I like to use myself from some other people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUVKqY_qqM&sns=em

Now my brain is in knots! :o

:laugh:

Sorry if I got too deep into it. :D  I'm prone to that as I have developed a passion for all this stuff.  The bottom line is the method works great, but we are operating close to the edge of solubility so I think it is a good idea to always use a lot of water and also minimize the amount of drug being dissolved to stay away from the margin.