Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Sharkey and MT buddies,  I started the liquid today. 1mg K / day.  2 x .5mg pills in 2ml 80 proof Vodka. Lots of sediment.  I try so hard to be exact with measuring to the lines on the cylinder and syringes.  I feel like I need those glasses that Belle's father wore in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  :laugh:

I almost cried when I took my first dose. It is nerve wracking and this is the first baby step. One week on full dose then I  will start the taper.  Using the plan Sharkey outlined. .25ml reduction per day. Do you have any idea how long it may take me to complete my taper? I won't rush it, but just a general idea?  Sharkey, I am so glad you are still here to help us.  I know there are others available too. I so appreciate you guys.  To think we have to have a virtual village to deal with something so serious.  Words are not enough to express the gratitude.  I am truly alone here doing this. But I have you guys!  :smitten:

Off topic...a friend has invited me for dinner and drinks Wed.  Until thinking of tapering I never worried about an occasional drink. Very infrequent though. I am a light weight where alcohol is concerned.  Should I completely abstain?  I will if that is best.

Hugs and Thanks....Shaani

Congrats,Shaani!!!  I knew you'd get started. You're on your way!! Keep the faith  :)

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Buddies,

This is day 2 of my switching to liquid at my regular dose.  I have read where many had no ill effects, however, I am not one of them.

Yesterday I was rather sleepy but today I am jittery, irritable with a headache.  It actually feels worse than the inter-dosing withdrawal I have been having for years.

Do some not make it on liquids?

Sorry MT buddies, would these questions be more appropriate for another group?

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

If you just stay with it it will pass.  It's an adjustment.

Sharkey and MT buddies,  I started the liquid today. 1mg K / day.  2 x .5mg pills in 2ml 80 proof Vodka. Lots of sediment.  I try so hard to be exact with measuring to the lines on the cylinder and syringes.  I feel like I need those glasses that Belle's father wore in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  :laugh:

I almost cried when I took my first dose. It is nerve wracking and this is the first baby step. One week on full dose then I  will start the taper.  Using the plan Sharkey outlined. .25ml reduction per day. Do you have any idea how long it may take me to complete my taper? I won't rush it, but just a general idea?  Sharkey, I am so glad you are still here to help us.  I know there are others available too. I so appreciate you guys.  To think we have to have a virtual village to deal with something so serious.  Words are not enough to express the gratitude.  I am truly alone here doing this. But I have you guys!  :smitten:

Off topic...a friend has invited me for dinner and drinks Wed.  Until thinking of tapering I never worried about an occasional drink. Very infrequent though. I am a light weight where alcohol is concerned.  Should I completely abstain?  I will if that is best.

Hey Shaani,

Good going!  I have been reading how scary this has been for your to start.

I started my liquids yesterday so I am right there with you.

Wishing you a smooth transition.

doodle dog

Hello Buddies,

This is day 2 of my switching to liquid at my regular dose.  I have read where many had no ill effects, however, I am not one of them.

Yesterday I was rather sleepy but today I am jittery, irritable with a headache.  It actually feels worse than the inter-dosing withdrawal I have been having for years.

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Thanks so much SG.  I needed to hear that.

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle,

I am sorry you are not feeling well. I have a couple of questions for you. 

First, I assume you are dissolving a 0.5 mg pill into 2 mL of alcohol and then adding 98 mL of water.  You then remove 50 mL of liquid for your dose.  Do you measure out the 50 mL using a graduated cylinder?  Do you drink it from the graduated cylinder?  Are you using 10 mL syringes to remove the 50 mL?

Do you shake up the 100 mL liquid before removing the 50 mL dose? 

When you drink your 50 mL dose, do you add some water to the container you drink it from?  I add water to mine, swirl and drink. I also shake my liquid very well before quickly measuring my doses.

Anne

Sharkey, I'm truly sorry for your loss. You're right...a bitter sweet day. A loss of one life and the gain of a new one. My best to you, buddy. We all thank you for what you do.

Blessings!

Jeff

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog!

You can definitely post and ask here.  That why we are here and your experience will help others.  Some people just don't do well with liquid.  I will tell you another guy I talk to regularly, the same thing happened to him the first time he tried to switch.  He is on day 10 of his second attempt at liquid and is feeling fine so far.  I dont really have an explanation for the discomfort.  If it gets too bad you can do micro cutting with a gram scale.  We have people in this group doing that method so let us know. 

Stay strong!

sharkey

Sharkey, I'm truly sorry for your loss. You're right...a bitter sweet day. A loss of one life and the gain of a new one. My best to you, buddy. We all thank you for what you do.

Blessings!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Where you at with your taper?  Things still going smooth for you?

sharkey

Shaky

Thank you for the advice.

I just started the titration on Friday.  Should I wait for a while before dividing my doses?  Or can I start dividing the doses tonight?

Shaky

I just started the titration on Friday.  Should I wait for a while before dividing my doses?  Or can I start dividing the doses tonight?

I would go ahead and divide them.  interdose withdrawal is a bad place to be.  Anyone have any advice on the transition from 1 dose to 3 or 4 doses?  Im not that experienced with it.

sharkey

Shaky

I would go ahead and divide them.  interdose withdrawal is a bad place to be.  Anyone have any advice on the transition from 1 dose to 3 or 4 doses?  Im not that experienced with it.

sharkey

My preference was to just do it and not bother with any transition since it is the same dose per day.  Others pay more attention to slowly transitioning.  I would make each dose even amounts and space them evenly through the day.  Three dose at eight hours or four doses at six hours.

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle,

First, I assume you are dissolving a 0.5 mg pill into 2 mL of alcohol and then adding 98 mL of water.  You then remove 50 mL of liquid for your dose.  Do you measure out the 50 mL using a graduated cylinder?  Do you drink it from the graduated cylinder?  Are you using 10 mL syringes to remove the 50 mL?

When you drink your 50 mL dose, do you add some water to the container you drink it from?  I add water to mine, swirl and drink. I also shake my liquid very well before quickly measuring my doses.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Thanks so much for your response.  Yes, I did dissolve the pill in 2 ml vodka and then added enough water to equal 200 ml.  Which is enough for 2 days.....right?  Or am I fuzzy thinking?  I used a 10 ml syringe to take out 50 ml.  Does a cylinder work better?

I did shake it,  however, I did not add water to the container that I drank from.  I guess I left some of the benzo behind....well that was silly of me.

Anne, you are using water only and that is going well for you....right?  Can you still make yours ahead of time?

Thank you kindly for your help.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hello Everyone! I hope this post finds you all well and doing the best you can given your present circumstances.

My signature line is not up to date. But briefly, I will say that due to this forum, I learned the importance of a slow taper. I was very proud that I was able to go from 4mg daily to 2mg daily over a period of 10 months. I did dry cuts. I had minimal side effects. I definitely felt better when I went down in dosage. I was less dizzy. I used to feel like I was going to fall over and my walking became very unsteady. That abated, fortunately.

When they discontinued brand Klonopin, my only option was Teva. I asked to be given 2.5 mg/day because I had taken it before and know that it is less potent than brand name. While trying to get some other health issues addressed, I stopped tapering. I tried again to go from 2.5 to 2.25 mg. This time, it was VERY, VERY difficult. It was only a 10% cut, but I was sweating, dizzy, lightheaded and had horrible stomach pain.

I am confused about how to micro taper. I've read many of these posts and I just don't quite understand how it's done. Any advice about how to do it that includes simple instructions is welcome and appreciated.

Best,

Briggy

Hey Briggy and welcome to the group!

There are several ways to do a micro-taper.  Which of the methods that you read about were you thinking about using?  titration? dry-cutting? or a liquid/dry combo?  Once you decide on a method we can help you with a specific plan.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Thank you so much, sharkey! So I'm on 2.5mg. Long story short, at one point I was taking 2.0 mg of brand name klonopin. When they stopped making brand last summer, I was switched to Teva. I know Teva is weaker, so I asked to be upped to 2.5 mg. I stopped making any cuts. When they resumed making brand 6 months later, I tried to take it and my body freaked out. I'm still on Teva. After another year, I tried to resume my cuts, but even going down to 2.25 seemed like too much for me. Which is weird, because when I did it on brand, I was fine. My whole taper from 4mg to 2mg starting in September 2012 and continuing until June 2013 was fine.

If I can get a prescription for .5mg, then I will try 2.375 for a month, then 2.25 for a month, and so and so forth via dry cutting. Once I dip below 2mg, I would probably want to do a liquid/dry taper. I watched a video on how to do the liquid titration and I was confused as all heck. If any of you could explain to me how that works, I would sooo appreciate it. I'm not a dumb gal. I just confuze easily. :)

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog!

You can definitely post and ask here.  That why we are here and your experience will help others.  Some people just don't do well with liquid.  I will tell you another guy I talk to regularly, the same thing happened to him the first time he tried to switch.  He is on day 10 of his second attempt at liquid and is feeling fine so far.  I dont really have an explanation for the discomfort.  If it gets too bad you can do micro cutting with a gram scale.  We have people in this group doing that method so let us know. 

Stay strong!

sharkey

Hello Sharkey,

Thanks so much.  I get confused because so many of the posts pertain to how to make the liquid and then all of you math genius figure out how to divide it, which is a lot of brain work.  So, I did not want to burden you with the taper side effects too.

Thanks for sharing with me about the person that you know that is having a hard time of it.  It is helpful to know that it is not easy for all.  I sure hope that things go better for him on this second try.

Thanks again for everything

doodle dog

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

I haven't had any problems from transitioning to a partial liquid micro-taper. But it's a small amount. Hope you feel better soon.

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle,

Anne

Hi Anne,

Thanks so much for your response.  Yes, I did dissolve the pill in 2 ml vodka and then added enough water to equal 200 ml.  Which is enough for 2 days.....right?  Or am I fuzzy thinking?  I used a 10 ml syringe to take out 50 ml.  Does a cylinder work better?

I did shake it,  however, I did not add water to the container that I drank from.  I guess I left some of the benzo behind....well that was silly of me.

Anne, you are using water only and that is going well for you....right?  Can you still make yours ahead of time?

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle,

Yes, you are correct.  I am sorry, but I forgot that you are on 0.25 mg/day. The syringe is fine, but I prefer to use a 50 mL graduated cylinder to measure my doses. This way I measure out a dose only once instead of having to measure 5 x 10 mL.  Yes, I am using just water--the pill is not soluble in water. I am used to working with both mixtures and solutions, so this is not a problem for me--it has worked in the past and continues to work well for me now. This is the reason I have not researched lorazepam solubility in other solvents like alcohol. 

I think shaking the liquid before drawing out your dose and adding some water to the container and drinking the rinse after dosing is a good idea. 

I am sure you will start to feel better soon.

Anne

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

I haven't had any problems from transitioning to a partial liquid micro-taper. But it's a small amount. Hope you feel better soon.

Hello Enough,

Thank you kindly for your response and encouragement.

So glad to hear that your transition is going well.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle,

Yes, I prepare my doses ahead of time.  Right now I make 5 doses each day. I take three one day and then 2 the next day in addition to one more when I prepare 5 more doses. Once I get lower I will be preparing doses for about 4  to 5 days and they will keep just fine.

Anne

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle,

Anne

Hi Anne,

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle,

Yes, you are correct.  I am sorry, but I forgot that you are on 0.25 mg/day. The syringe is fine, but I prefer to use a 50 mL graduated cylinder to measure my doses. This way I measure out a dose only once instead of having to measure 5 x 10 mL.  Yes, I am using just water--the pill is not soluble in water. I am used to working with both mixtures and solutions, so this is not a problem for me--it has worked in the past and continues to work well for me now. This is the reason I have not researched lorazepam solubility in other solvents like alcohol. 

I think shaking the liquid before drawing out your dose and adding some water to the container and drinking the rinse after dosing is a good idea. 

I am sure you will start to feel better soon.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Thanks again for your support and info.  I am so happy that your taper is going good for you.

Had you ever considered using the prescription liquid lorazepam?  I might consider that myself.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Fwiw, micro-tapering using the jewelry scale has been working for me, 8mg to where I'm at. I've hit bumps in the road for a variety of reasons, but I think it's safe to say it's a viable way to go, for me at least.

Doodle,

A prescription for liquid lorazepam is a great option. Definitely something for you to think about. In my case, I do not think my doctor would prescribe it.  He does not know much about benzos. I told him about a daily liquid taper several years ago, and it was the first time he had heard of it. At this point I will continue what I am doing--it is working and I am thankful for that. 

Have a good evening,

Anne

This is so much like me when I diluted for the first time. I was so nervous! But we did it! :clap:

Hello Buddies,

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

I have heard some people say they went back to dry cutting because they did not like the liquid. I wouldn't give up to quickly. I dry cut trazodone and it was the biggest pain the rear you can imagine! I was so glad when I put that darn scale away for the last time. Freedom from the tyranny of calibration! Yippee! :yippee:

Sharkey and MT buddies, I started the liquid today. 1mg K / day.  2 x .5mg pills in 2ml 80 proof Vodka. Lots of sediment.  I try so hard to be exact with measuring to the lines on the cylinder and syringes.  I feel like I need those glasses that Belle's father wore in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.   :laugh:

So now you have a solution where 1mg=2ml.  Yeah, that makes it kinda tough to meter out precise doses.

But if you just add 18ml of water, the you will have a solution where 1mg = 20ml.  Its a lot easier to precisely measure out 2.5ml than it is to measure out .25ml.

Dilution is what makes microtapering easy.