Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

This is what I am doing:          (I have 1ml tuberculin syringes to use from work as an RN)

Add .5mg Xanax to 1ml milk) =  0.1 ml/.05mg Xanax 

ML              ML    Mg/Xanax        ML

Waste  .10  leaves  .90      (.45mg)    +  .10 milk =  (1ml solution)      (Dose is  .33ml x 3)

.12  leaves  .88      (.44mg)    +  .12            7/4/15         

.14  leaves  .86      (.43mg)    +  .14            7/6/15

.16  leaves  .84      (.42mg)    +  .16            7/8/15

.18  leaves  .82      (.41mg)    +  .18

.20  leaves  .80      (.40mg)    +  .20

I'm pretty sure the math is right, thanks for answering and looking this over. I can't believe my system is so sensitive, BTW, on 8/31 I will have 28 years of recovery from alcohol and drugs. MD prescribed Xanax when GAD interfered with my nursing education. I never abused it, took it exactly how he prescribed it, 1-2mg, up to 3mg a day PRN, hence the non-stop interdose w/d, mostly took just two. This whole time I thought job stress was causing all my symptoms, had NO idea about Xanax, it seemed like such a benign little drug, ha ha. Nursing Drug books fail to mention W/D symptoms, except about abruptly stopping.  PS Very sorry for your loss, family is so important. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I am doing:          (I have 1ml tuberculin syringes to use from work as an RN)

Waste  .10  leaves  .90      (.45mg)    +  .10 milk =  (1ml solution)      (Dose is  .33ml x 3)

I'm pretty sure the math is right, thanks for answering and looking this over. I can't believe my system is so sensitive, BTW, on 8/31 I will have 28 years of recovery from alcohol and drugs. MD prescribed Xanax when GAD interfered with my nursing education. I never abused it, took it exactly how he prescribed it, 1-2mg, up to 3mg a day PRN, hence the non-stop interdose w/d, mostly took just two. This whole time I thought job stress was causing all my symptoms, had NO idea about Xanax, it seemed like such a benign little drug, ha ha. Nursing Drug books fail to mention W/D symptoms, except about abruptly stopping.  PS Very sorry for your loss, family is so important. 

I can't follow what you are doing, but it appears you are putting Xanax in milk?  As far as I know X will not dissolve in milk and will only suspend.  Also, it looks like you are using only 1ml, which is not enough liquid.  Or am I not following this?

I am a little unclear too.  But according to what I see your first cut was .05mg.  That is a 10% cut. I strongly suggest slowing down.  As SG said im not sure Xanax dissolves in milk.  You can still use it, just remember that it is a suspension which means you need to shake well.  I would suggest diluting alot more either 10ml or 100ml.  This will allow you to take smaller cuts.  I suggest .0025mg a day to start with and if that goes smooth increase the cut rate from there.

Let us know what questions you have!

Stay strong!

sharkey

Aaaagh! My favorite "avatar" on Benzo Buddies (Sharkey hugging his wife) has disappeared and been replaced by what appears to be a ROFL demo!!!  >:(

Oops :(  how is this one  :smitten:

Aaaagh! My favorite "avatar" on Benzo Buddies (Sharkey hugging his wife) has disappeared and been replaced by what appears to be a ROFL demo!!!  >:(

Oops :(  how is this one  :smitten:

Way better!! :thumbsup:

Hello MT Buddies,

Just a little update:  I am on day 3 of my switch to liquid at my normal dose.  Today I appear to be adjusting to the change better.  Just had a bit of irritability and anxiety but I am going to have to find a better way to deal with it because I really want to be successful in my taper.  I want the old me back.

Welcome to all the newbies.  I am a newbie too.

Thank you all for your continued info and support.  I could not do this without you.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle Dog,

I am glad to hear you are doing better. Just make sure you swirl the liquid before measuring and once you have taken your dose, add some water to the container and drink.  Better to be cautious.

Have a great day

Anne

I realize now that for 14+ years I experienced interdose w/d everyday. I took my Xanax 1-2 times and sometimes 3 times a day. As a result my system seems to be highly sensitive to even the smallest changes. (Possible kindling effect? not really sure what that entails) Anyway, I am now micro-tapering every other day, am at .43mg Xanax per 24 hrs (divided in 3 doses) It seems every time I cut the next day I get sweats, insomnia, w/d symptoms in general. Has anyone else been this sensitive? I know micro tapering has been much less harsh than cut and hold, but I am surprised to get symptoms. Thanks, Rose

I unknowingly went through bad interdose w/d for about 6 months dosing Xanax only in the evening and now I am having a bad time even with micro tapering. There might be a relationship between the 2, but but not necessarily causal. We may just be really sensitive to any change in Xanax. I'm contemplating crossing over to a longer benzo because this dosing Xanax 6 times/day is really hard on me. I kind of feel like I'm yo-yoing all day even on 6 doses. Although, I sure do like having my liquid Xanax to dilute. EZPZ.

Hello Gardener,

I noticed that too.  I will miss that sweet pic; however,  I guess that since he is now benzo free that he wants to roll on the floor with laughter.

doodle dog

It was a sweet pic, wasn't it? As a survivor of a miserable 20-year marriage (he eventually walked when I got sick, which turned out to be a very good thing), I just love seeing couples who are so obviously happy together. It shows there's hope for humankind!

And yes, most definitely, Sharkey deserved his ROFL time, but I'm glad he's back to Sharkey again.  :)

Gardener- thanks a lot for that link. I ordered that jar.  :)

So, are an amazon Prime-er, too? When my brother offered to hitch me onto his prime account for free, I jumped at it. Free Prime has been a life-saver for me. I now live in the sticks, so amazon has been my answer whenever I need odd things like 1ml syringes with caps, a graduated cylinder, and an amber jar that easily hold 50ml. Where else would I find this stuff??  :thumbsup:

And here's an odd thing. I even ordered DVD's of that old black and white TV show, Andy Griffith. When I'm really on edge and can't sleep, I pop one in and hit "play all," for several hours of peaceful, funny distraction. Sometimes it the only show I can watch. This from someone who has seen every Midsommer Murders, watched them right before bed, and fell asleep with no trouble! Now all I can watch is that old-fashioned southern town with the black-and-white picture. My brain sure has morphed into something I barely recognize. I've heard long-term benzo use can do that to you. And, of course, withdrawal ratchets that up!

So, I will add that as a stress-reduction and insomnia tip. Try old, low-stress, black and white TV shows. And you young whipper-snappers had better not say, "Andy who?"

Oops. That was tangent.  :-X

Hello MT Buddies,

Just a little update:  I am on day 3 of my switch to liquid at my normal dose.  Today I appear to be adjusting to the change better.  Just had a bit of irritability and anxiety but I am going to have to find a better way to deal with it because I really want to be successful in my taper.  I want the old me back.

Welcome to all the newbies.  I am a newbie too.

Thank you all for your continued info and support.  I could not do this without you.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey Doodle!

I'm so glad to read that.

During my taper I had lots of anxiety and irritability . With acceptance of things just being like that for a while ( which didn't come in a day ) , things got better and I agree it's important we find other ways to deal with that. Which isn't always easy, since most of this , for me, was chemically induced.

I have not been an angry person at all before this journey but boy.... I had some rages on this junk.

What helped me much was guided meditations I found on YouTube. Bellaruth Naperstek has some nice calming guided imagery ones .

Some people are also greatly helped with Tapping.

Maybe these are things that'll work for you.

I hear you on wanting the old you back. I don't think I'll ever be the same , and I don't think I could be. But I find myself back little by little and in ways I feel like a better person because of it.

So much has happened , I'll never take day to day things for granted anymore.  :thumbsup:

Hey Moodle and Doodle! Glad to hear things are going OK for both of you. Thanks for the guided meditation suggestion. I'm always on the lookout for those. I am right with you both on really missing the old me. I think that's the hardest part of this. For my kids, too.  :(

But, there are also parts of the old me that I and they hope to never get back!  :laugh:

Hi guys been a while since I checked in I'm tapering off ativan 6mg a day. Each pill weighs . 300 so I take total of.900 but I tapered my first cut to .870 and held for like 3weeks nothing really stabilizes cuz I'm tapering methadone also and I reinstated 6months out but I made another cut shaving another . 010 off each pill to a total of . 840. Is this too much? I can't tell since I'm in constant withdrawal anyways and my liver is not doing so well. It's under great stress from all the medication and my hepatitis c and my liver is very sick and not processing the medication correctly. I need to get off but I'm so sick mentally and physically I'm falling apart please I need some guidance

Hi guys been a while since I checked in I'm tapering off ativan 6mg a day. Each pill weighs . 300 so I take total of.900 but I tapered my first cut to .870 and held for like 3weeks nothing really stabilizes cuz I'm tapering methadone also and I reinstated 6months out but I made another cut shaving another . 010 off each pill to a total of . 840. Is this too much? I can't tell since I'm in constant withdrawal anyways and my liver is not doing so well. It's under great stress from all the medication and my hepatitis c and my liver is very sick and not processing the medication correctly. I need to get off but I'm so sick mentally and physically I'm falling apart please I need some guidance

That is a 3.45% cut.  I don't think that is too much.  Go with that and then cut the same amount in a few weeks.  Good job HipHop!  Hang in there!

So how many mg is .840? If 900 is 6mg I am so kindled my liver is not processing the medication correctly and I don't know what symptoms are what but I've been insane and I can't relax. Things were going smoothly kinda before my liver started jacking up my enzymes are several hundreds and I am sick and I know it's from the meds. I can't relax

So how many mg is .840? If 900 is 6mg I am so kindled my liver is not processing the medication correctly and I don't know what symptoms are what but I've been insane and I can't relax. Things were going smoothly kinda before my liver started jacking up my enzymes are several hundreds and I am sick and I know it's from the meds. I can't relax

.9 = 6mg  so

.84 = 5.6mg

Sorry for the confusion.  OK how does this sound: Take .5mg Xanax, shake well in .5ml milk, for a .45mg dose Xanax, waste .05 ml. This leaves a dose of .45mg Xanax in .45ml milk. Add .55ml milk back, giving you .45mg Xanax in 1ml milk. Shake well and take .33ml per dose?  Then the next day waste .06ml and so on. I know the measuring device is small, but that enables me to be more accurate. What do you think? Thanks for the input guys.

Sorry for the confusion.  OK how does this sound: Take .5mg Xanax, shake well in .5ml milk, for a .45mg dose Xanax, waste .05 ml. This leaves a dose of .45mg Xanax in .45ml milk. Add .55ml milk back, giving you .45mg Xanax in 1ml milk. Shake well and take .33ml per dose?  Then the next day waste .06ml and so on. I know the measuring device is small, but that enables me to be more accurate. What do you think? Thanks for the input guys.

I'd suggest using the alcohol/water method with Xanax instead of milk.  And I'd also suggest working with 100ml so you can be accurate.  .5mg in .5ml won't work out well.  It is an unworkably small amount of liquid.

I'd suggest using the alcohol/water method with Xanax instead of milk.  And I'd also suggest working with 100ml so you can be accurate.  .5mg in .5ml won't work out well.  It is an unworkably small amount of liquid.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hiphop. I'm going to stick my neck out here, and give some advice that you didn't really ask for. I figure I'm at least old enough to be your mom, maybe your grandma, so you can't sass me! :laugh:

We are all suffering, some more than others. I choose not to focus on every detail of my medical problems (which are far greater than than just the benzo issue and have gone on for decades). They are what they are and I don't think repeating the details over and over would do me any good. Repeating every minutia of a problem cements the details in your brain, strengthens those memory connections, and pretty soon your whole life is focused on those problems. That, naturally, increases your anxiety. I have done that, so I know! I am trying hard to change. I think I have improved and intend to keep heading in that direction for my own sake and for the sake of those I care about, including the people on this forum who have been such a help to me.

I would like to suggest an edit of your post to make it less trauma-focused and more solution-focused.

Hi guys been a while since I checked in I'm tapering off ativan 6mg a day. Each pill weighs . 300 so I take total of.900 but I tapered my first cut to .870 and held for like 3weeks nothing really stabilizes cuz I'm tapering methadone also and I reinstated 6months out but I made another cut shaving another . 010 off each pill to a total of . 840. Is this too much? (deleted section) I need some guidance. Thanks for your help! I have lots of medical problems, so I need all the help I can get! (Well, maybe that last bit sounded like old-lady talk, but you get my drift.)

And, actually, if you feel like sassing me, go ahead and PM me. Maybe I deserve it.  ::)

Sharkey, I'm truly sorry for your loss. You're right...a bitter sweet day. A loss of one life and the gain of a new one. My best to you, buddy. We all thank you for what you do.

Blessings!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Where you at with your taper?  Things still going smooth for you?

sharkey

Hey Sharkey,

Yep, still doing well and hanging in there. Took "a day off" yesterday to spend with our daughter who's in town for a few days from college. I'm down to a whopping 2.38mg of clonazepam, but trying not to think about it. Like I always say, it's better than the 8 that I was on! A day at a time.

Keep on rockin' on your benzo-free life. You're the bestest!

Jeff

O.K., I'm mathematically a mess too. I have a question just for the fun of learning the math. If I could learn the PROCESS behind the math (rather than someone just telling me the end-result), then I could figure things out in time.

Anyway, I currently put my 1mg of clonazepam pill in 98ml of water (after dissolving in 2ml of vodka). That's easy math for me since 1ml = .01mg. I'm reducing .01mg/day now. How would the math work if I only made, say 20ml, of solution? In other words, 2ml of dissolved vodka + 18ml of water. In that scenario, how would the math work as far as reducing .01mg/day or maybe a smaller cut of .0025mg/day?

I'd love to learn how to do the math!!

Thanks...

Jeff

hi friends

ive been breaking one wafer at night apx half for while till bf leaves mon and then figure how to titrate. need help w taht .

i had to fast 12 hrs for lab today -(at 1130)  can that throw you down hard?? feel like i hit a wall. bf drove me and then off to errand we brought chilit for in the car after the lab.

yesterday ok able to drive to DO and after was riding to friends to drop off boat and i had sudden hunger w no food and findally got some but it put me in a bad state too

DO said she could only call rx this once but didnt know bout compounding and i gotta see psych for that. old pnurse wont do it either. maybe the one pharm can tell me Drs that call in compounds? trying not to get worked up about this. I had to skip going to the neurotherapy i started trying out infact to think about anything i have to do panics me so i did stretches, tried to nap, breathwork....

Should i take part of my night time dose?? i cant believe how i cant manage simplist things. felt better in june but its not letting up lately.  i have brief periods of some relief mostly pm. not cutting - why so hard? I am really really weak and keep trembling and cant think (4hrs sleep woke in worse sweat and anxiety kept me up)

i am trying to keep it together since my bf has let up on me bout doing ct and i need to get my head together to tallk w sister too. if she saw me now shed say maybe you should consider a detox. feelin pressure

should i post this on other board?

I am water titrating temazepam capsules.  I started on 7/3/2015.  I have notice that I have a sore throat.  I was wondering is that way they put the Temazepam powder in the capsule?  Is it unsafe to shallow the powder without the capsule even if it is  titrated in water?  Has anyone else experienced this while water  titrating Teamzepam?  I am really doing well with this method and I do not want to go back trying to measure the powder.

RDB,

I agree with SG and Builder.  It is best to work with a larger volume. You can work with either very small or very large volumes.  In theory it will work either way. When working with very small volumes you will do fine as long as the measurement is error free. But, some error is associated with all measurements. The error associated with a very small volume will be magnified--a very large error compared to the same error associated with a larger volume.

Hope this helps,

Anne

O.K., I'm mathematically a mess too. I have a question just for the fun of learning the math. If I could learn the PROCESS behind the math (rather than someone just telling me the end-result), then I could figure things out in time.

Anyway, I currently put my 1mg of clonazepam pill in 98ml of water (after dissolving in 2ml of vodka). That's easy math for me since 1ml = .01mg. I'm reducing .01mg/day now. How would the math work if I only made, say 20ml, of solution? In other words, 2ml of dissolved vodka + 18ml of water. In that scenario, how would the math work as far as reducing .01mg/day or maybe a smaller cut of .0025mg/day?

Thanks...

Jeff

Ditto!!!!  Ditto!!!

Thanks...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

If you have 1  mg in 20 mL of liquid    1mg/20 mL = 0.05 mg/mL  So, 0.05 mg in 1 mL.

To reduce by 0.01 mg daily you would remove 0.2 mL.    0.01 mg/0.05 mg/mL = 0.2 mL

To reduce by 0.0025 mg daily  you would remove 0.0025 mg/0.05 mg/mL = 0.05 mL

You just divide the amount, in mg,  you want to remove by the amount, mg, in 1 mL

Hope this helps.

Anne