Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hi:

I have a question. Is there anyway you can do a dry, daily micro taper off 70 mg of Valium? I am doing fine with my K micro, but I don't know if this is possible with Valium. I also don't know if doing this will take me a decade. I want to drop by 5% every two weeks. Thank you.

Bets

Sure.  V is one of the better drugs to do that with as it has low potency and comes in 2mg pills.  The smaller the pill dose the better.  Although at higher doses you may not need 2mg pills.

If you are at 70mg and want to cut 5% every 14 days that is .25mg per day, which is 1/8th of a 2mg pill.  So you would be going through a 2mg pill every eight days.  I would think a 5mg or even a 10mg would be okay for a while until you get to a much lower dose.  With a 10mg pill you'd go through it in about 40 days...not too bad.  But hey, if you can get 2mg pills why not?  They are more accurate.

Bets-

We have discussed this.  Yeah, at 70 mg, a dry taper, even a daily dry taper should work.  But what are you going to do whem you get down to 10-8-5mg, or even 2 mg?

You said your doc already agreed to write scrips for liquid V, why not take advangage of it?

Hi builder: I've been trying to find you on the Val support section. I just wanted to double check on dry, but my pdoc saw your answers to my questions about liquid and he said it makes much sense to him. He said from now on, whatever builder says to do, you do it! So my next question is: I want to take a week or two to get adjusted to the liquid. So I don't know what dose I should take in liquid? If I take the entire liquid, I think that would mean I would still be on a total of 70 mg of V. I guess I want to start from 70 mg and let my body adjust to it before making any drops. So I need to take some liquid, and taking the 5 ml in liquid form would mean I would still be on 70 mg. That would mean taking 65 mg in pill form, and 5 ml from the liquid? I want to stay on 70 mg at first. Also, Yes, I can get 2 mg pills. So if 5 ml = 5 mg, then I only should still micro cut by .25 mg a day? Would the typical syringe be able to do this for me? Do I need to buy anything else? Thank you very much.  :smitten:

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Bets-

We have discussed this.  Yeah, at 70 mg, a dry taper, even a daily dry taper should work.  But what are you going to do whem you get down to 10-8-5mg, or even 2 mg?

You said your doc already agreed to write scrips for liquid V, why not take advangage of it?

Hi builder: I've been trying to find you on the Val support section. I just wanted to double check on dry, but my pdoc saw your answers to my questions about liquid and he said it makes much sense to him. He said from now on, whatever builder says to do, you do it! So my next question is: I want to take a week or two to get adjusted to the liquid. So I don't know what dose I should take in liquid? If I take the entire liquid, I think that would mean I would still be on a total of 70 mg of V. I guess I want to start from 70 mg and let my body adjust to it before making any drops. So I need to take some liquid, and taking the 5 ml in liquid form would mean I would still be on 70 mg. That would mean taking 65 mg in pill form, and 5 ml from the liquid? I want to stay on 70 mg at first. Also, Yes, I can get 2 mg pills. So if 5 ml = 5 mg, then I only should still micro cut by .25 mg a day? Would the typical syringe be able to do this for me? Do I need to buy anything else? Thank you very much.  :smitten:

You will never need to take more than 1mg by liquid.  And there is no reason to take more than 1mg by liquid!

1)  Dilute you Rx liquid 9:1.  (10ml/mg liquid V + 90ml water)

2) Take 69mg by tablet, and 10ml/1mg from liquid.

3)  When you actually start your taper (reducing .25mg/day)

69mg tablets    7.5ml/.75mg liquid

69mg tablets    5.0ml/.5mg  liquid

69mg tablets    2.5ml.,25mg liquid

etc.

You can easily, consistently, and accurately meter out 7.5ml with a 10ml syringe.

The key to using liquid is DILUTION!     This is what allows us to make tiny, precise, consistent measurements.  There really is not much real advantage to using liquid if you don't dilute.  I know this all seems complicated, but it really isn't.  Much easier/simpler than trying to calculate and measure dry tablet weights.  Once you get started, you will quickly how easy it is.

Reference my post to you here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96753.msg1830332#msg1830332

Welcome to the group PinHead, kris1967, Rabbit11, benzogirl, and mfate!!

Good luck with your taper and dont hesitate to ask questions.  That is why we are here!

Stay strong!

sharkey

I would like to learn more about microtapering.  I started liquid titration on Friday 7/3.  But I am using the same method I used when I was dry cutting and holding for two weeks.  I am on Temazepam.  I started at 15 mg. I slowly dry cut to 7.5mg.  On Friday I dropped to 6.25mg using liquid titration for the first time.  I was going to continue this way but now I am rethinking this.  If this will allow me to have some sort of life.  Can i get some help with this?  When should i start micro tapering?  Should I stay on my current dose for a week or two and then start microtapering?

Welcome to the group giwm!

How are you doing your titration?  you have 6.25mg in how much dilution?  how are you dissolving or suspensing the temazepam?  Answer these questions and im sure we can help you with a daily cut rate.

sharkey

I am dissolving 7.5 mg capsule in 100ml of water.  I am drinking 83ml (6.25mg).

Can you give me  a better and easier way of doing this titration and Micro tapering.

I also wanted to know if I should divide my dose evenly.  I am  having inter-dose withdrawals. I am taking 5mg at night and 1.25mg during the day. 

Thank You

I am dissolving 7.5 mg capsule in 100ml of water.  I am drinking 83ml (6.25mg).

Can you give me  a better and easier way of doing this titration and Micro tapering.

I also wanted to know if I should divide my dose evenly.  I am  having inter-dose withdrawals. I am taking 5mg at night and 1.25mg during the day. 

Thank You

Your titration method looks good.  Temazepam is water soluble according to a few websites.  Temazepam has a short half life similar to Ativan according to the Ashton Manual.  If I were you I would Divide the 83ml up into 3 or 4 even doses and take at set times daily.  I would stay at this dose for at least a week and see if this gets rid of the inter-dose withdrawal and then you can continue from there. 

When you do start cuts again, I would try .5ml a day for a few weeks.  This would be .04mg a day.  let me know if you have any more questions.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Sharkey or anybody, any advice about switching from Xanax to Librium while I'm micro tapering? I thought this was going to go faster and I could put up with dosing 6 times a day for 4 or 5 months. Now I see this is going to take much, much longer (only cutting .002ml now) and I don't want to be chained to taking a med every 4 hours around the clock for over a year!  >:(

There goes the darned timer telling me take another dose right now. Aaagh!

Feel free to tell me not to even try it if you think it's a bad plan. I'm open to any suggestions. Well, except to going back to cut and hold. Not doing that again EVER!  :o

Sharkey or anybody, any advice about switching from Xanax to Librium while I'm micro tapering? I thought this was going to go faster and I could put up with dosing 6 times a day for 4 or 5 months. Now I see this is going to take much, much longer (only cutting .002ml now) and I don't want to be chained to taking a med every 4 hours around the clock for over a year!  >:(

Feel free to tell me not to even try it if you think it's a bad plan. I'm open to any suggestions. Well, except to going back to cut and hold. Not doing that again EVER!  :o

Xanax has one of the shortest half-lives of the benzo family.  If you have access to librium, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a crossover.  If you do try and crossover do it SLOW!  drop a little xanax add a little librium, etc, etc.  1mg Xanax = 50mg Librium according to Ashton.  Westcoast is tapering librium if you want to ask him about it.

sharkey

Thanks Builder:

I printed out your reply. So all I need is the liquid, the pills, the syringe and a cup that can measure 100 ml. So I take 1 mg of valium liquid, and dilute it into 99 ml of water, and take 69 mg in pill form and take .25 mg of the liquid and leave the rest?  Then when I am done with the 1 mg of liquid, I take another 1 mg of liquid, dilute it and also take 68 mg in pill form? Do I have to fridge this? Also, if I want to get used to my liquid, do I start off right away and cut the .25 mg at the very beginning? What if I want to keep it at 70 mg to get adjusted to the liquid? How much liquid should I take the 1st week? I want to take my complete dose for the first week. I get it: Dilute, dilute and dilute!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you Sharkey for welcoming me here. :smitten: :smitten:

Sharkey and MT buddies,  I started the liquid today. 1mg K / day.  2 x .5mg pills in 2ml 80 proof Vodka. Lots of sediment.  I try so hard to be exact with measuring to the lines on the cylinder and syringes.  I feel like I need those glasses that Belle's father wore in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  :laugh:

I almost cried when I took my first dose. It is nerve wracking and this is the first baby step. One week on full dose then I  will start the taper.  Using the plan Sharkey outlined. .25ml reduction per day. Do you have any idea how long it may take me to complete my taper? I won't rush it, but just a general idea?  Sharkey, I am so glad you are still here to help us.  I know there are others available too. I so appreciate you guys.  To think we have to have a virtual village to deal with something so serious.  Words are not enough to express the gratitude.  I am truly alone here doing this. But I have you guys!  :smitten:

Off topic...a friend has invited me for dinner and drinks Wed.  Until thinking of tapering I never worried about an occasional drink. Very infrequent though. I am a light weight where alcohol is concerned.  Should I completely abstain?  I will if that is best.

Hugs and Thanks....Shaani

Thanks Builder:

I printed out your reply. So all I need is the liquid, the pills, the syringe and a cup that can measure 100 ml. Do I have to fridge this? Also, if I want to get used to my liquid, do I start off right away and cut the .25 mg right off? What if I want to keep it at 70 mg to get adjusted to it? I get it: Dilute, dilute and dilute!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Always a good idea to hold for at least a week when switching to liquid.  The delivery method has caused others troubles and can take a week or 2 to get use to.

Xanax has one of the shortest half-lives of the benzo family.  If you have access to librium, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a crossover.  If you do try and crossover do it SLOW!  drop a little xanax add a little librium, etc, etc.  1mg Xanax = 50mg Librium according to Ashton.  Westcoast is tapering librium if you want to ask him about it.

sharkey

I agree.  If X dosing is too much L is a good tapering drug similar to V.  Your number of doses should go way down.

Sharkey and MT buddies,  I started the liquid today. 1mg K / day.  2 x .5mg pills in 2ml 80 proof Vodka. Lots of sediment.  I try so hard to be exact with measuring to the lines on the cylinder and syringes.  I feel like I need those glasses that Belle's father wore in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  :laugh:

I almost cried when I took my first dose. It is nerve wracking and this is the first baby step. One week on full dose then I  will start the taper.  Using the plan Sharkey outlined. .25ml reduction per day. Do you have any idea how long it may take me to complete my taper? I won't rush it, but just a general idea?  Sharkey, I am so glad you are still here to help us.  I know there are others available too. I so appreciate you guys.  To think we have to have a virtual village to deal with something so serious.  Words are not enough to express the gratitude.  I am truly alone here doing this. But I have you guys!  :smitten:

Off topic...a friend has invited me for dinner and drinks Wed.  Until thinking of tapering I never worried about an occasional drink. Very infrequent though. I am a light weight where alcohol is concerned.  Should I completely abstain?  I will if that is best.

Hugs and Thanks....Shaani

Shaani congratz on starting your taper!!  it can be scary but you have taken the biggest step.  A week is the minimum suggested time to hold on liquid so make sure you feel good after a week before you begin.

It would take 400 days to get to 0 if you stay at this rate until you finish.  Please remember that the cut rate is conservative and you can speed up once you get use to the cut.  Example:  if you increase to .5ml(.005mg) then it would take 200 Days.

Abstinence from alcohol is suggested while you taper.  Colin, who created the forum, stressed how much not drinking helped during his taper.  You can read his story which is posted under the "About us" tab on the homepage.

sharkey

Thanks. Right now I am taking one of my doses as a dilution and the rest as full strength. They were all at .18ml and then I just started diluting one to 10% and reducing by .02 of the dilution. It will take at least week to get that down to .16 (an amount I can easily measure with my syringe, which is marked by .02ml). I am thinking I need to get that down to the .16 regular strength and then start the cross over. That way I will be crossing over a regular strength to a regular strength. Am I right about that being more doable or are my math skills just getting in the way? My prescriber is on vacation and I see him next week, so I can work on getting to the .16 evening dose this week before I see him next week.

Thanks for the heads up about Westcoast. I can hardly find any Librium taperers.

sharkey

I agree.  If X dosing is too much L is a good tapering drug similar to V.  Your number of doses should go way down.

I sure hope so and I sure hope my prescriber is willing to do a slow cross over. Crossing fingers!

Thanks Builder:

I printed out your reply. So all I need is the liquid, the pills, the syringe and a cup that can measure 100 ml. Do I have to fridge this? Also, if I want to get used to my liquid, do I start off right away and cut the .25 mg right off? What if I want to keep it at 70 mg to get adjusted to it? I get it: Dilute, dilute and dilute!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Always a good idea to hold for at least a week when switching to liquid.  The delivery method has caused others troubles and can take a week or 2 to get use to.

Thanks Sharkey:

I do want to get adjusted to the liquid for the first week or two. I don't know much much liquid I have to remove to still take my total of 70 mg of Valium. I also don't know whether to fridge it or not. ??

Hello Everyone! I hope this post finds you all well and doing the best you can given your present circumstances.

My signature line is not up to date. But briefly, I will say that due to this forum, I learned the importance of a slow taper. I was very proud that I was able to go from 4mg daily to 2mg daily over a period of 10 months. I did dry cuts. I had minimal side effects. I definitely felt better when I went down in dosage. I was less dizzy. I used to feel like I was going to fall over and my walking became very unsteady. That abated, fortunately.

When they discontinued brand Klonopin, my only option was Teva. I asked to be given 2.5 mg/day because I had taken it before and know that it is less potent than brand name. While trying to get some other health issues addressed, I stopped tapering. I tried again to go from 2.5 to 2.25 mg. This time, it was VERY, VERY difficult. It was only a 10% cut, but I was sweating, dizzy, lightheaded and had horrible stomach pain.

I am confused about how to micro taper. I've read many of these posts and I just don't quite understand how it's done. Any advice about how to do it that includes simple instructions is welcome and appreciated.

Best,

Briggy

Thanks Builder:

Thanks Sharkey:

I do want to get adjusted to the liquid for the first week or two. I don't know much much liquid I have to remove to still take my total of 70 mg of Valium. I also don't know whether to fridge it or not. ??

According to your earlier posts, you will be taking 69mg in pills and 1mg in 100ml of liquid.  So for the first week you will take 69mg in pills and the entire 100ml of liquid.  After that, you can start reducing the way builder explained.  Your dose can be held at room temperature.  I kept my doses at room temp for up to 5 days with no problems.

Thanks Builder:

I printed out your reply. So all I need is the liquid, the pills, the syringe and a cup that can measure 100 ml. So I take 1 mg of valium liquid, and dilute it into 99 ml of water, and take 69 mg in pill form and take .25 mg of the liquid and leave the rest?  Then when I am done with the 1 mg of liquid, I take another 1 mg of liquid, dilute it and also take 68 mg in pill form? Do I have to fridge this? Also, if I want to get used to my liquid, do I start off right away and cut the .25 mg at the very beginning? What if I want to keep it at 70 mg to get adjusted to the liquid? How much liquid should I take the 1st week? I want to take my complete dose for the first week. I get it: Dilute, dilute and dilute!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Try to find my earlier posts to you, and review.

There is no need to mix a new batch each day.  As I said in my earlier post, start with 10ml liquid and add 90ml water, (or 900ml, if you really want a 1% solution, but that's not necessary, especially at your fairly high total dose).  I was doing .001 daily cuts  using the 9:1 solution, and had absolutely no problem accurately measuring.  You will need a re-purposed food jar (pickles, olives, salad dressing, etc) with a gasketed screw top to store you diluted batch.

Then each day take the 69mg  dry, and draw 10ml (1mg) from that batch of liquid and take that.  You can store your diluted liquid for 10-14 days, no problem.  And it should be stored at room temp.  It will take you about 5 minutes to make that 100ml batch, and it will last you about 10 days.  5 minutes once every 10-14 days, and your done. 

When you actually start your taper, just follow the schedule I posted earlier.  Yes, when you get to 69, then its:

68 tablets    10ml/1mg liquid

68 tablets      7.5ml/.75mg liquid

68 tablets      5.0ml/.5mg liquid

etc.

Just think in terms of 2 different "bottles" of your med.  You will take most of your dose from the "pill" bottle, and the rest of your dose from the "liquid" bottle.  Nothing to it.

Hello Everyone! I hope this post finds you all well and doing the best you can given your present circumstances.

My signature line is not up to date. But briefly, I will say that due to this forum, I learned the importance of a slow taper. I was very proud that I was able to go from 4mg daily to 2mg daily over a period of 10 months. I did dry cuts. I had minimal side effects. I definitely felt better when I went down in dosage. I was less dizzy. I used to feel like I was going to fall over and my walking became very unsteady. That abated, fortunately.

When they discontinued brand Klonopin, my only option was Teva. I asked to be given 2.5 mg/day because I had taken it before and know that it is less potent than brand name. While trying to get some other health issues addressed, I stopped tapering. I tried again to go from 2.5 to 2.25 mg. This time, it was VERY, VERY difficult. It was only a 10% cut, but I was sweating, dizzy, lightheaded and had horrible stomach pain.

I am confused about how to micro taper. I've read many of these posts and I just don't quite understand how it's done. Any advice about how to do it that includes simple instructions is welcome and appreciated.

Best,

Briggy

Hey Briggy and welcome to the group!

There are several ways to do a micro-taper.  Which of the methods that you read about were you thinking about using?  titration? dry-cutting? or a liquid/dry combo?  Once you decide on a method we can help you with a specific plan.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Best,

Briggy

If you are on over 2mg K I'd take most of your dose still as a pill and liquify part of it to taper, but you can liquify it all if you want.  Basically you want to liquify, spread the dose as needed, give some time to adjust, then begin cutting in tiny amounts daily.

Thanks Builder:

Personally, I don't believe there is any real reason to "get used to it".  Yes, there are anecdotal reports here of people havin a reaction to it, but I have never seen any medical, scientific, or pharmacological evidence why it would make any difference! And at your dose (70mg) you are only  talking about switching less than 1.5% of your total dose!  Even if you CUT 1mg, you probably wouldn't have much of a reaction.

Now, having said that, I held my original dose for 10 days when I started with liquid.  ::)  Just to be sure...!

While there shouldn't be any real need to delay starting your taper, there certainly is no risk in doing a 7-10 day trial.

Thanks Builder:

Personally, I don't believe there is any real reason to "get used to it".  Yes, there are anecdotal reports here of people havin a reaction to it, but I have never seen any medical, scientific, or pharmacological evidence why it would make any difference! And at your dose (70mg) you are only  talking about switching less than 1.5% of your total dose!  Even if you CUT 1mg, you probably wouldn't have much of a reaction.

Now, having said that, I held my original dose for 10 days when I started with liquid.  ::)  Just to be sure...!

While there shouldn't be any real need to delay starting your taper, there certainly is no risk in doing a 7-10 day trial.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree with builder.  I had no ill effects when I switched to liquid.  but doesn't hurt to be sure

Thanks Builder:

Well, whether or not it is psychological or a physical effect does not change the fact that it happens.  But I agree that in this case where only 1mg out of 70 is being converted to liquid that if it is a physical effect it won't be felt.  However, if it is psychological it may still be.  As you said, even a full 1mg cut would only be 1.4% at this dose and I'm sure the effect would be far less than 1mg...I doubt even 10% of this value.  My belief is that it is a physical effect that we are all unaware of and so we do need to get used to it.  IMO it happens far to often to be psychological.  But in this case it can be ignored.

Hello Buddies,

This is day 2 of my switching to liquid at my regular dose.  I have read where many had no ill effects, however, I am not one of them.

Yesterday I was rather sleepy but today I am jittery, irritable with a headache.  It actually feels worse than the inter-dosing withdrawal I have been having for years.

Do some not make it on liquids?

Sorry MT buddies, would these questions be more appropriate for another group?

My best to all.

With gratitude,

doodle dog