Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Sharkey how are you feeling now and since 7/4?

Im feeling pretty good.  I have a lot of real life stress going on.  My wife is about to have our second child any day now.  and stuff at work so I don't like to judge my feelings when under this stress.  But i'm doing just as good as I was while tapering up to this point.

Stay strong!

sharkey

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Im feeling pretty good.  I have a lot of real life stress going on.  My wife is about to have our second child any day now.  and stuff at work so I don't like to judge my feelings when under this stress.  But i'm doing just as good as I was while tapering up to this point.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Wow, Sharkey, that is soooo exciting :D! And that also means stress, I know :o. You are so brave to be going through this benzo stuff while being a dad/husband/delivery coach. Can't say we can do this to that, but you can do this! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear the big news when you become a daddy of two!   :smitten:

Hi Anne,

Great to have a chemist around.  I'm a mechanical engineer and know enough chemistry to be dangerous.  I've studied some chemistry and am around chemists and material engineers, but I really don't have all that great a grasp of it so I am very glad you are here.

Here is a thread you might find interesting...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=97737.30

A researcher named Jouyban published papers on benzo solubility and edited a handbook of drug solubility.  His data is in posts #37 and #46.  There is a full set of lorazepam (and other common benzos) data there from for ethanol/water mixtures from 0-100%.  Tailor made for us.  He reports lorazepam solubility in water as .05mg/ml peaking at about 18mg/ml in the mixture.  Weird thing is all these benzos peak before they hit 100% ethanol...around 85-90%.  I have scoured the internet looking for other data sources and he appears to be it.

I'm glad you mentioned temperature as not refrigerating the liquid might be another precaution for everyone here to be aware of.  In fact, using slightly warm water might also be a good idea, don't you think?

Were you serious about having a student measure dissolution time?  That would be fantastic!  One of the frustrations in all of this is not being able to confirm the information we find.

SG,

Thank you. I could tell from your post that you have some chemistry background.  Thank you for the links. I just downloaded both papers and will look them over this weekend.  This is great!!  Again, I did not research benzo solubility because the water works well for me. Now, I am interested!! You did a great job with the plot and solubility table!!  I will look through the databases to see if I can find any information on the solubility of Xanax in alcohol. Yes, it is interesting how the solubilities peak 85-90 % ethanol and decrease to 100% ethanol.  Something to think about. From the data it is obvious that some water is necessary for maximum solubility.

Yes, I might see if one of my students would be interested in doing a study or maybe I could do it myself if time permits.

Yes, I think advising people to not refrigerate their liquid is a good idea.  If they do refrigerate, they should let it sit at room temp for a while and then swirl it before measuring their dose. Using room temperature water would be much better than ice cold water.

Anne

It would be great if we could find more info on Xanax!  And, if you have time, also any other benzos and also verifying the results we already have on the common benzos.  I think the Jouyban source is reliable, but always good to have more than one source.

You can see by the plot why I prefer people use 150 proof.  80 proof really is cutting things close, but it seems to work and it has become the BB "standard" so I have stopped beating that drum as it was like shoveling sand against the tide.  But I really wish 150 proof would catch on.

I'm glad you will be reading the papers.  Jouyban is also the editor of The Handbook of Solubility Data for Pharmaceuticals.  There is data in that handbook on ingestible benzo solvents other than alcohol as well.  It's kind of curious that he has nothing on Xanax (other than plain water) as Xanax is so commonly used.

I'd actually like to see people start using lukewarm water with the alcohol/water method.  Your mention of how much a difference temperature can make has reminded me how important it could be.

Excuse my ignorance, SG, but is 150 proof the same as Everclear? If not, what "brand" comes in 150 proof? ANY brand?  Sorry, I've just never been into alcohol, so my knowledge bank is empty when it comes to this. So far so good with dissolving in 80 proof Vodka, but I'm still on a mega dose of clonazepam, as you know.

Thanks!

Jeff

Stay strong!

sharkey

Second child!  Yep, I'd say you have a lot going on, but at least the new child is an awesome blessing. I know it's crazy at first, but at least you've already been through it once. That experience will be huge. Congratulations, man!!  SuperDad reigns!!!

Jeff

Hey, any of you all ever experience depression when titrating off this benzo stuff?  I feel it. Stinks too. I've been on clonazepam for over two decades, but I didn't know whether or not depression is a side effect when titrating. I try to read almost all of your threads, but I don't remember seeing much, if anything, about depression.

Had to ask.

Hugs to the whole gang!!

Jeff

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I'm dry cutting but like my pills weighing .900mg combined it's 3 pills at .300 each I shave .01 off each dose so I'm down to .840 how many mg of ativan is that if I take 6mg a day? It's 5 days into this cut and having a hard time cuz some valium i took last week and my methadone and liver but you guys don't want to hear about that here sorry I'm full of self pitty. But how do I convert that to my current dose so I know how many mg that is? I gotta get a tooth pulled today and they ganna give me madazelam again

Thanks for toning down the drama, Hiphop. We really do want to help you.

If you need more math help, keep asking. It took me awhile to get it. (I am not a math guru, so I won't try to help with math.)

You're stronger than you think, Hiphop. Being young is somewhat of a disadvantage emotionally, but it's a huge advantage physically. You are way ahead of us older folks in your ability to physically heal. You will heal, and you have many good decades ahead of you.

I applaud you for being able to dry cut. It drove me nuts when I was dry cutting trazodone, especially calibrating the scale every time. I takes so much patience to dry cut! I finally got my son to do it for me and got through it that way. I switched to liquid alprazolam before I started my X taper. Now my biggest challenge is getting the bubbles out of the syringe.

For those who follow this thread, to Hiphop's credit, he did not PM me to sass me even though I invited him to!  ;)

:smitten:

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I'm dry cutting but like my pills weighing .900mg combined it's 3 pills at .300 each I shave .01 off each dose so I'm down to .840 how many mg of ativan is that if I take 6mg a day? It's 5 days into this cut and having a hard time cuz some valium i took last week and my methadone and liver but you guys don't want to hear about that here sorry I'm full of self pitty. But how do I convert that to my current dose so I know how many mg that is? I gotta get a tooth pulled today and they ganna give me madazelam again

"I'm dry cutting but like my pills weighing .900mg combined it's 3 pills at .300 each I shave .01 off each dose so I'm down to .840 how many mg of ativan is that if I take 6mg a day?"

The use of periods at the end of snetences, and caps at the beginning of new sentences would make your post MUCH easier to understand. 

"I'm dry cutting but like my pills weighing .900mg combined it's 3 pills at .300 each I shave .01 off each dose so I'm down to .840 how many mg of ativan is that if I take 6mg a day?"

The use of periods at the end of snetences, and caps at the beginning of new sentences would make your post MUCH easier to understand.

Snetences, huh?  :laugh:  (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Wait a minute; what was I thinking? I just took a jab at a math guru who could potentially have my life in his hands. I take it back! :-X

Hi Buddies,

Happy Friday! Acceptance of symptoms during our microtapers can be so helpful. It's sooo human nature to 'freak out' when we get an sx. and our 'freaking out' usually make the sx 10 times worse than it was to begin with.

I always say this to my fiancé, my symptoms and sx's aren't usually the main problem, it's my REACTION to them.

It seems silly, but I do believe we all have an 'inner child' inside of us, and even verbally out loud comforting them when we experience a new sx, can go along way.

Microtapers will so minimize sx's so we are fortunate to be doing this method, but when we have them, we can just remind our little inner children, that they are actually a sign of healing! yay! and that we are okay!

I hope you all have a wonderful week-end, and can do something to bring you some peace and joy, even in some small way. Big hugs to you and all your brave little  inner children who are undertaking this amazing journey!

Love, Shannon :smitten:

Hey Shannon,

Great post.  I did not realize how important acceptance is until I read a book about mindfulness.  At first this concept confused me, but now I understand.

Thanks for sharing and have a nice weekend.

doodle dog

Stay strong!

sharkey

Congrats to Sharkey and family! :thumbsup:

Hi Anne,

Great to have a chemist around.  I'm a mechanical engineer and know enough chemistry to be dangerous.  I've studied some chemistry and am around chemists and material engineers, but I really don't have all that great a grasp of it so I am very glad you are here.

Here is a thread you might find interesting...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=97737.30

A researcher named Jouyban published papers on benzo solubility and edited a handbook of drug solubility.  His data is in posts #37 and #46.  There is a full set of lorazepam (and other common benzos) data there from for ethanol/water mixtures from 0-100%.  Tailor made for us.  He reports lorazepam solubility in water as .05mg/ml peaking at about 18mg/ml in the mixture.  Weird thing is all these benzos peak before they hit 100% ethanol...around 85-90%.  I have scoured the internet looking for other data sources and he appears to be it.

I'm glad you mentioned temperature as not refrigerating the liquid might be another precaution for everyone here to be aware of.  In fact, using slightly warm water might also be a good idea, don't you think?

Were you serious about having a student measure dissolution time?  That would be fantastic!  One of the frustrations in all of this is not being able to confirm the information we find.

SG,

Thank you. I could tell from your post that you have some chemistry background.  Thank you for the links. I just downloaded both papers and will look them over this weekend.  This is great!!  Again, I did not research benzo solubility because the water works well for me. Now, I am interested!! You did a great job with the plot and solubility table!!  I will look through the databases to see if I can find any information on the solubility of Xanax in alcohol. Yes, it is interesting how the solubilities peak 85-90 % ethanol and decrease to 100% ethanol.  Something to think about. From the data it is obvious that some water is necessary for maximum solubility.

Yes, I might see if one of my students would be interested in doing a study or maybe I could do it myself if time permits.

Yes, I think advising people to not refrigerate their liquid is a good idea.  If they do refrigerate, they should let it sit at room temp for a while and then swirl it before measuring their dose. Using room temperature water would be much better than ice cold water.

Anne

It would be great if we could find more info on Xanax!  And, if you have time, also any other benzos and also verifying the results we already have on the common benzos.  I think the Jouyban source is reliable, but always good to have more than one source.

You can see by the plot why I prefer people use 150 proof.  80 proof really is cutting things close, but it seems to work and it has become the BB "standard" so I have stopped beating that drum as it was like shoveling sand against the tide.  But I really wish 150 proof would catch on.

I'm glad you will be reading the papers.  Jouyban is also the editor of The Handbook of Solubility Data for Pharmaceuticals.  There is data in that handbook on ingestible benzo solvents other than alcohol as well.  It's kind of curious that he has nothing on Xanax (other than plain water) as Xanax is so commonly used.

I'd actually like to see people start using lukewarm water with the alcohol/water method.  Your mention of how much a difference temperature can make has reminded me how important it could be.

SG..I  am using 80 proof alcohol.  What is the rationale for preferring 150 proof? I am nervous about getting this taper right from the get go, so anything to increase those chances, I will do it.  Thanks,  Shaani 

I've only got a couple of days left before I can officially say I've completed my first .125 mg. decrease. Daily micro-tappering, for myself,  has been nerve-wracking, to say the least. Always double checking my measurements each night. I write it down, but still second guess it all. I come to this support group for answers to my questions, since I'm not a math genius.

I'm apologizing in advance for any grammar mistakes, for my stupid questions, and any other mistakes I make in the future.

Nobody, and I truly mean nobody, is perfect.  Well, maybe one person here.

I've only got a couple of days left before I can officially say I've completed my first .125 mg. decrease. Daily micro-tappering, for myself,  has been nerve-wracking, to say the least. Always double checking my measurements each night. I write it down, but still second guess it all.

I double check and write everything down, too. My son and doctor think I'm OCD about it. I say better safe than sorry! :thumbsup: 

Hey, any of you all ever experience depression when titrating off this benzo stuff?  I feel it. Stinks too. I've been on clonazepam for over two decades, but I didn't know whether or not depression is a side effect when titrating. I try to read almost all of your threads, but I don't remember seeing much, if anything, about depression.

Had to ask.

Hugs to the whole gang!!

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I was reading on the Ashton Manual website that depression can be a withdrawal symptom.

I hope that it lifts for you soon.  I actually got depressed while taking ativan and would never make light of it.  Please hang in there.  This to shall pass.

Here's to our healing.

Sending good thought your way.

doodle dog

Hey doodle dog and Anne,

You are doing 2 days worth of batches at a time.  This is so you don't have to break a pill in half before making the solution.  That can cause inconsistencies.  So you will take one of your .5mg pills and make a 200ml solution.  So 100ml will contain .25mg which is your daily dose correct?

So your schedule will look like this:

100ml/.25mg solution

Day 1:  100ml (divide into 2 even doses)

Day 2:  99ml (divide)

Day 3:  98ml

Day 4:  97ml

And so on....

Each 1ml represents .0025mg.  After you start,  you can them decide if you want to keep this rate, increase it, or slow down some.

Anne, I glad someone is checking my math.  I do make mistakes so I'm glad I have someone to catch them.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Doodle dog,

So here is a sample schedule based on Anne and SG57's suggestion:

100ml\.25mg

Day 1: 100ml

Day 2: 99.5ml

Day3:  99ml

Day 4: 98.5ml

And so on...

They are simple suggesting to start slower and see how is goes before you start reducing a full ml a day. Make sense?

Hello MT Buddies,

So on Sunday I start my taper.  Please forgive if I am asking too many questions.

So on:

day 1 stay the same

day 2 reduce by 1/2 ml

day 3 reduce by 1 ml

day 4 reduce by 1 1/2 ml

day 5 reduce by 2 ml

day 6 reduce by 2 1/2 ml

day 7 reduce by 3 ml

day 8 reduce by 3 1/2 ml

day 9 reduce by 4 ml

day 10 reduce by 4 1/2 ml

day 11 reduce by 5 ml

day 12 reduce by 5 1/2 ml

day 13 reduce by 6 ml

day 14 reduce by 6 1/2 ml

So I am still making the 200 ml solution right?

Do I take the reduced amount out of my morning dose?

I guess that I should just toss the removed amount?

I apologize that my mind is not quite grasping it all.

Thank you kindly buddies.  I hope that your tapers are going well.

Have a nice weekend.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Had to ask.

Hugs to the whole gang!!

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I was reading on the Ashton Manual website that depression can be a withdrawal symptom.

I hope that it lifts for you soon.  I actually got depressed while taking ativan and would never make light of it.  Please hang in there.  This to shall pass.

Here's to our healing.

Sending good thought your way.

doodle dog

IMO the titration isn't the culprit but the Valium itself. It sure isn't a happy drug. Yes, I've experienced depression and lethargy on it. I didn't have that before ever taking a benzo.

It's certainly a withdrawal symptom. I can tell you that, the lower I go, the more I feel it lifting. There are days, sometimes weeks where I don't experience depression at all. When still on a higher dose, I'd have it 24/7.

:smitten:

I've only got a couple of days left before I can officially say I've completed my first .125 mg. decrease. Daily micro-tappering, for myself,  has been nerve-wracking, to say the least. Always double checking my measurements each night. I write it down, but still second guess it all.

I double check and write everything down, too. My son and doctor think I'm OCD about it. I say better safe than sorry! :thumbsup:

I also keep track--most of the time.  I have been using a spreadsheet.  It is so easy to forget, which is what I did yesterday and this morning. I usually check my spreadsheet each day to make sure, but not yesterday.  I prepared my three doses at 37.3 mL each, but  they should have been 36.3 mL.  It was the first time I did not check, and of course I made a mistake.  Never fails. haha

Hey doodle dog and Anne,

You are doing 2 days worth of batches at a time.  This is so you don't have to break a pill in half before making the solution.  That can cause inconsistencies.  So you will take one of your .5mg pills and make a 200ml solution.  So 100ml will contain .25mg which is your daily dose correct?

So your schedule will look like this:

100ml/.25mg solution

Day 1:  100ml (divide into 2 even doses)

Day 2:  99ml (divide)

Day 3:  98ml

Day 4:  97ml

And so on....

Each 1ml represents .0025mg.  After you start,  you can them decide if you want to keep this rate, increase it, or slow down some.

Anne, I glad someone is checking my math.  I do make mistakes so I'm glad I have someone to catch them.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Doodle dog,

So here is a sample schedule based on Anne and SG57's suggestion:

100ml\.25mg

Day 1: 100ml

Day 2: 99.5ml

Day3:  99ml

Day 4: 98.5ml

And so on...

They are simple suggesting to start slower and see how is goes before you start reducing a full ml a day. Make sense?

Hello MT Buddies,

So on Sunday I start my taper.  Please forgive if I am asking too many questions.

So on:

day 1 stay the same

day 2 reduce by 1/2 ml

day 3 reduce by 1 ml

day 4 reduce by 1 1/2 ml

day 5 reduce by 2 ml

day 6 reduce by 2 1/2 ml

day 7 reduce by 3 ml

day 8 reduce by 3 1/2 ml

day 9 reduce by 4 ml

day 10 reduce by 4 1/2 ml

day 11 reduce by 5 ml

day 12 reduce by 5 1/2 ml

day 13 reduce by 6 ml

day 14 reduce by 6 1/2 ml

So I am still making the 200 ml solution right?

Do I take the reduced amount out of my morning dose?

I guess that I should just toss the removed amount?

I apologize that my mind is not quite grasping it all.

Thank you kindly buddies.  I hope that your tapers are going well.

Have a nice weekend.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle,

Yes, this looks good.  Please keep asking questions.  It takes some time to get used to this. Just to review.

You are on 0.25 mg/day

Dissolve the pill in 2 mg alcohol.  Add 198 mL of water.  This gives you two days worth of doses (a total of 4 50 mL doses). Divide the 200 mL of liquid into two ( this will give you 100 mL for day 1 and 100 mL for the next day).

Working with the first 100 mL, remove 0.5 mL.  Divide into your two daily doses.

Next day, working with the 100 mL, remove 1.00 mL, divide into two daily doses

Day 3, you will again prepare 200 mL of liquid as you did on day 1. Then divide into two 100 mL portions.  Remove 1.5 mL from the 100 mL and divide into two doses for the day. 

Day 4, remove 1 mL from the 100 mL (this is the one you saved from the other day) and divide into your two daily doses

You are preparing 4 doses which will last you two days. I hope this makes sense.

Anne

SG..I  am using 80 proof alcohol.  What is the rationale for preferring 150 proof? I am nervous about getting this taper right from the get go, so anything to increase those chances, I will do it.  Thanks,  Shaani 

Shaani,

The drug is more soluble in the higher proof alcohol. You should be fine with the 80 proof.  Always shake your liquid before measuring out your doses. As an extra precaution, once you drink your dose, add a bit of water to the container, swirl, and drink the rinse water.  You will be fine.  I am using plain old water and my taper is going very well.

Anne

Excuse my ignorance, SG, but is 150 proof the same as Everclear? If not, what "brand" comes in 150 proof? ANY brand?  Sorry, I've just never been into alcohol, so my knowledge bank is empty when it comes to this. So far so good with dissolving in 80 proof Vodka, but I'm still on a mega dose of clonazepam, as you know.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think Everclear comes in 151 proof and 190 proof.  Someone correct me if I am wrong. The percent alcohol is 1/2 the proof.  So, 80 proof is 40% alcohol, 150 proof is 75% alcohol and so on. Vodka comes in 80, 100, and 150 proof.  I do not know which brands though.  From what I have heard, 80 proof is working for people. Just to be cautious, swirl your liquid before measuring your dose.  Once you drink your dose you can then add a bit of water to the empty container and drink it.

Anne

I almost missed this post as something strange has been happening the past few days.  When I click on "show new replies to your posts" it no longer goes to the first new post, but instead jumps down a few below that.  Software glitch I guess.

But anyway, okay Shaani, As Anne said, it's more soluble.  If you go to the link I gave you can see the plot shows that at 80 proof (.40 alcohol volume fraction) the solubility limit is quite low for all the benzos.  But if you look at 150 proof (.75 alcohol volume fraction) you can see it is much much higher.  Clearly, 80 proof seems to work fine as all the anecdotal reports here say no one is having problems.  But still, the amount being dissolved is very close to the limit.  We can avoid this by using a very high proof, like Everclear 151 grain alcohol.

If I were doing using this method I'd use 150 proof (or higher).  I'd also add another ml and use 3ml instead of just two as this also improves the margin yet is still a miniscule amount.  Another thing I'd do is use lukewarm water to dilute as Anne and I were just discussing.  I also would NOT refrigerate it.

Again, 80 proof, 2ml, cold water...they all seem to work as people report success, but doing the things I've mentioned will help ensure a good outcome.  Why not, right?  Easy changes.