Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Can I taper off of Xanax all the way through?

[Em...]

Hi,

I would really love to hear your guys opinion.

I have been tapering Xanax after years of use. Come down to 0.75 mg a day from 2 mg in about 7 months. I will write more details in my signature when I am feeling a bit better.

I really dont want do switch over to diazepam unless I really have to. Things are getting a bit harder lately, I have WD symptoms during the day but still manage to push through 🙏🏼 some nights I wake up in panic. This typically happens few nights in the same week and then I get better, then this repeats .. maybe I am being stubborn but I just really dont want to go on any more drugs.

Has anyone tapered all the way with Xanax and could you tell me how many times a day you dosed?

And was it always more and more horrible with smaller doses?

Should I ask to be crossed over? Is that better for most people?

With kind regards,

Emilia

[Br...]

Hello @[Em...] and welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We're glad you found us!

We've had many members do their entire taper off Xanax without switching to a longer acting benzo. As you know it can be more challenging because of Xanax's short half life.  This is dealt with by dosing several times a day to minimize interdose withdrawal. We generally suggest that you keep the doses the same throughout the day so that the concentration in your bloodstream remains a consistent as possible - this is easier on your system.  We also typically suggest making equal cuts of each dose for the same reason.

How often are you dosing?

We're glad you're here.  Please reach out for support, ask a lot of questions and let us know how we can help you!

Brighterday

• Like 1

[Em...]

Thank you for the quick reply Brighterday 🥰

I am dosing three times a day now. Am thinking I need to dose at least 4 times, maybe even five because the latest would preferably need to be right before I go to bed. So that I sleep.

Any input on water or milk taper? My country does not have compounding pharmacies or liquid xanax ...

I found a very nice Brand of organic full fat milk, I have been using it in my oatmeal and seem to tolarate it. So far so good 😃

If I could dissolve the pill in Milk and split it into 5 doses maybe Id be onto something that works better. I see people have different experiances with that but maybe I should try?

Either that or better scale and pill crushing. Which one is more reccomented?

Thank you again, have a good night /day,

Em.

[Br...]

I would try to complete as much of the taper by shaving or crushing your pills  (a dry taper).  I would use a scale.  I'm in the US and you can get a good jeweler's scale on Amazon for about $40. 

Sorry I don't know much about liquid tapers but if you do a Search of "liquid taper Xanax" you should find helpful posts.   Other members will likely weigh in with good ideas about this too.

Just want to mention it's  important to take your doses at the same times each day- again because our systems crave consistency.

What percentage have you been reducing by and how often do you make cuts?  We suggest only reducing your dose by about 5-10% of your most recent dose every 14 days or longer but this should be driven by your symptoms.  

• Like 1

[Em...]

Yes, I kind of agree.  As little of a change possible resonates best with me, I will order a jewellery scale off Amazon ;)

Well, I did cut too much at the beginning, went from 2 mg to 1.75 and 1.75 to 1.5 in just a little over a month. It didnt hit me right away, and I knew nothing ... nothing what I was doing so I was even a little surprised when I "all of a sudden" was crying non stop and my muscles were so stiff.. I started to educate myself and realized I had gone way too fast. By then I was highly paranoid and even for few days it was like I could not think straight... like I could not finish my thoughts.. on top of that I was freaking out about if I had brain damage from tapering too fást.. this was aweful.

After that I stayed on 1.5 for few weeks and after that been doing gradual drops every ca. 2-3 weeks. I listen to my body now.

But the anxiety is always lingering, little bit of tinnitus and soar muscles.. these symptoms dont really go away now even while holding for long. 

So now I am thinking that I should Space out my dose better, cut smaller... and yeah. Hopefully finish on Xanax.

I am terrified of all benzos now so switching will be my last go to.

Thank you for caring and being so nice, I appreciate it 🥰

[Br...]

I'm so glad you slowed down and that you're listening to your body.  A lot of us are caught by surprise of when we're first hit with withdrawal symptoms.  Taking it slowly and gradually is definitely the way to go.

As you get to lower doses it will probably help to get smaller dose tablets -  makes it easier to make accurate cuts.

• Like 1