Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

I've been unable to get to the computer recently. My kids are home a lot and so I've been spending time with them. I've also been crocheting to keep my anxiet under control :)

I do have a question though. I had to change my generic meds again, sigh, but this time it ended up being an updose. It feels like a big one too. After my second dose of three today my eyes were dilated and my cognition was shot. I had a pdoc appointment and he told me not to drive until things settled down. I almost had to call someone to come and get me. He suggested I reduce my dose by 1%. I usually reduce by about .17%.

Here's my situation: I take five .5mg clonazepam tablets and dissolve them in 122mL of cashew milk. I then take that and divide it into two 66mL containers out of which I remove the amount I'm no longer taking. Then I divide them all until I have six "equal" doses over a two day period. For this generic change I am only changing out one of the .5mg clonazepam of the five. So does a 1% cut seem doable. My pdoc is thinking that overall it's about a 5% updose so 1% for each time I taper over by one. It seems high for me but at the same time I was really wollaped by the updose. I don't even want to take my next dose but I will and then I'll go to bed.

I'm really surprised by how hard the updose hit me. I was hoping for an updose vs a reduction in dose since the last time was so rough but I didn't expect an updose to be awful too. At least I can do some serious tapering with this, I hope.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

T

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Tntd, I’m not qualified to answer any of your questions. I know all here will help you. My question. How did you find a doc that understood & accepted  liquid taper? & he sounds very smart to know how much to tell you to change dose by.

My p doc doesn’t understand liquid & after a couple different compounders tried to explain it to him, & I didn’t end up using the compounded liquid because I’m in a hurry to get dose lower faster than dlmt, to be rid of daytime sedation faster, & then revisit liquid. Anyway at my last follow up with him he said he would never call in another compounded liquid for me because he dose understand it, nor think it’s necessary for me to taper with. But he is willing to let me taper dry as fast or as slow as I want so I’m hesitant to seek out a different p doc & end up with someone whom tapers me too fast.

Ps what k did you switch from to?

Best of luck with your transition & the rest of your taper. Hope your feeling more stable ASAP. Thank you be well

I've been unable to get to the computer recently. My kids are home a lot and so I've been spending time with them. I've also been crocheting to keep my anxiet under control :)

I do have a question though. I had to change my generic meds again, sigh, but this time it ended up being an updose. It feels like a big one too. After my second dose of three today my eyes were dilated and my cognition was shot. I had a pdoc appointment and he told me not to drive until things settled down. I almost had to call someone to come and get me. He suggested I reduce my dose by 1%. I usually reduce by about .17%.

Here's my situation: I take five .5mg clonazepam tablets and dissolve them in 122mL of cashew milk. I then take that and divide it into two 66mL containers out of which I remove the amount I'm no longer taking. Then I divide them all until I have six "equal" doses over a two day period. For this generic change I am only changing out one of the .5mg clonazepam of the five. So does a 1% cut seem doable. My pdoc is thinking that overall it's about a 5% updose so 1% for each time I taper over by one. It seems high for me but at the same time I was really wollaped by the updose. I don't even want to take my next dose but I will and then I'll go to bed.

I'm really surprised by how hard the updose hit me. I was hoping for an updose vs a reduction in dose since the last time was so rough but I didn't expect an updose to be awful too. At least I can do some serious tapering with this, I hope.

Thanks,

T

Why discard any meds? draw out your dose and take it until you run out of meds and remix a new batch. your current batch is  a little over .02mg/ml. If you dissolve instead into 125ml of milk, your solution would be exactly .02mg/ml

JR, did u do a straight xanax dlmt?  If u switched to valium, could you tell me how you felt after the jump? :)

I dry cut for about half my taper and switched to dlmt. It went well. I jumped in dec. 2016. felt pretty good until august 2017 and that is when depression beat me down. Still fighting it every day.

jr50898,

I am sorry you are fighting depression every day.

I am taking lexapro and it seems to help.

I had depression - I think unrelated to benzo - due to a crisis with my son. 

I did fight it every day.  I found very cold showers would help.  I found exercise helped.  I found trying to only think about things happening around me in the current moment helped.  Try hard not to think of things in future or past.  Do not look inward - do not stay inside your head.  Look outward.

But what really helped is I was given Celexa.  Within a week, I was so much better.  Within 3 months, when I felt better about my son, I was able to start weaning off of it.  It was a much easier thing to taper off of (compared to benzo).  I did give me some motion sickness during the taper but it only lasted a few days and the rest of the symptoms were GONE in a couple of weeks.  It was so worth it.

It is like the Celexa knocked me back into sync.

I have not taking it for about 19 months now. 

Trust God will give you enough grace to make it through.  Then look for His help.  It comes in many ways.

Thanks,

T

Why discard any meds? draw out your dose and take it until you run out of meds and remix a new batch. your current batch is  a little over .02mg/ml. If you dissolve instead into 125ml of milk, your solution would be exactly .02mg/ml

I'm usually really good at math but my benzo brain is having a hard time following how you get .02mg/mL if I dissolve 2.5mg into 125mL of milk. I used to know how to do those conversions but I feel like my brain is mush. Also would I be taking 55.68mL a day to get my 1.1136mg dose. I also divide them into three doses so it would be 18.56mL per dose. The smallest my syringes measure is .1mL so I could get to the .5 but not the .56mL.

I do get what you're saying about not tossing the meds but I just haven't been able to figure out how that works for me. Cog fog really sucks... :-[

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Pull and discard" is the silliest idea for dosing a liquid med ever! ::)

I'm usually really good at math but my benzo brain is having a hard time following how you get .02mg/mL if I dissolve 2.5mg into 125mL of milk. I used to know how to do those conversions but I feel like my brain is mush. Also would I be taking 55.68mL a day to get my 1.1136mg dose. I also divide them into three doses so it would be 18.56mL per dose. The smallest my syringes measure is .1mL so I could get to the .5 but not the .56mL.

I do get what you're saying about not tossing the meds but I just haven't been able to figure out how that works for me. Cog fog really sucks... :-[

Pretty simple.

2.5/125=.02

Thanks,

T

T, it sounds like you have a system that you've been using that works for you. I don't see any point in changing it unless you have a reason to want to change it or need to change it. Do what works for you.

Gard :)

Someone recently told me that simple water titration is effective and there is no need for alcohol or anything else to dissolve or suspend clonazepam.  Also said the alcohol can be causing more damage.  But I’ve read that water does not fully dissolve or absorb clonazepam.  Can I get your feedback about this? 

What I’m doing:

AM .5mg tablet

PM .5mg tablet + LT solution (titrating my .125mg updose first)

Using Vodka to dissolve and suspend in liquid.

Thank you in advance,

Uni

Thanks,

T

T, it sounds like you have a system that you've been using that works for you. I don't see any point in changing it unless you have a reason to want to change it or need to change it. Do what works for you.

Thanks for your support Gard, I really appreciate it.

Someone recently told me that simple water titration is effective and there is no need for alcohol or anything else to dissolve or suspend clonazepam.  Also said the alcohol can be causing more damage.  But I’ve read that water does not fully dissolve or absorb clonazepam.  Can I get your feedback about this? 

What I’m doing:

AM .5mg tablet

Thank you in advance,

Uni

Hi Uni,

I am some info and then a personal thought.

Mixing with water creates a suspension (which means if you let the mixture sit for a while, the particles will settle to the bottom).  Hence you must stir vigorously before you use it.

I was told (not proved myself) that using alcohol breaks up the clonzaepam so that it becomes a solution when water is added.  I wonder if anyone has tested this to see if after some time, particles settle to the bottom?

Others say use milk because the fat keeps it suspended.  Here is where I have a personal though.  I know that milk fat rises to the top of containers.  So if you let this mixture sit, the drug will be more at the top of the container.

So to be safe, to matter what you are doing, stir it vigorously before use.

Hi Uni , I don;t usually post in this group , but I am tapering K , so this is what I do .

I use 1ml Vodka per 1 mg K

I do think it makes a difference to the solubility or suspension, when I just used water ,a s Bob said , the particles would sink to the  bottom abd I was never sure I was getting the right dose,

I then add nut milk to 100 mls fro my taper,

I am hoping that the tiny amount of vodka ( 1ml in 100ml) won't be enough to have any effect. for me it's about 1/3 ml per day.

You could always let it sit wit the lid off your container after you've mixed in your K in the vodka ,a nd let the alcohol evaporate off some ?

good luck ,

MiYu

What I’m doing:

AM .5mg tablet

Thank you in advance,

Uni

Hi Uni,

Clonazepam is not water soluble but it is fat soluble so if you don't want to use vodka to dissolve and suspend your clonazepam you can use a high fat milk. I personally use cashew milk becaue it's also low in calories, plus I don't like the taste of cow's milk :D 

I've been dissolving my meds in milk for a year and a half now and haven't needed anything else to aid in getting it to dissovle. I just have to shake it up after ten to twenty minutes and it's ready to go.

I hope you find a way that works best for you.

Hugs,

T

In the USA, almost all milk is homogenized so the fat does not ever rise to the top. Benzos are fat soluble. Full fat milk will work just fine.

Benzos are also soluble in alcohol. You will always see something settle to the bottom even when the benzo is dissolved because the binders and fillers don't all dissolve.

If you're concerned about solubility, you could ask your pharmacist.

The alcohol to benzo ratios builder and others have been giving out have worked fine for probably hundreds of people.

The amount of alcohol used is so small that most people are not affected by it. My doctor asked how much I used and said it was too little to worry about.

Some people have done water titrating but it is risky. The benzo settles very rapidly. Water is a very poor suspension agent.

Thanks gardener99 - I think you resolved many unanswered questions in one post - including helping understand why in mother's milk for my kids, the fat would rise to the top but it never does with store bought milk.

Thanks gardener99 - I think you resolved many unanswered questions in one post - including helping understand why in mother's milk for my kids, the fat would rise to the top but it never does with store bought milk.

TMI  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:

Yup. Nature does not homogenize milk. :)

Thank you for your feedback, everyone.  Very helpful.  I’ll stop worrying about the alcohol for now.  And I really didn’t feel comfortable with just water.  Wanted to confirm, since hearing otherwise about both.  I’ll stick with what I’m doing.  :thumbsup:

Thank you for your feedback, everyone.  Very helpful.  I’ll stop worrying about the alcohol for now.  And I really didn’t feel comfortable with just water.  Wanted to confirm, since hearing otherwise about both.  I’ll stick with what I’m doing.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I think the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I got worried there too, but I'm sticking with milk too :thumbsup:

Ah yes, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!  That’s a good one.  I just got concern d when told alcohol could cause damage.  But it’s a small amount.  Wishing you all peace and healing!  Hugs :hug:

What I’m doing:

AM .5mg tablet

Thank you in advance,

Uni

1) K (like most benzo is NOT water-soluble.

The actual amount of alcohol you would ingest is so tiny it doesn't matter.  If you were to take half of your dose (.5mg) from a vodka solvent solution, the max amount of alcohol you would ever take would be .8ml.  Thats less than .2 teaspoon.  Thats not going to cause anyone any problem  (There are Rx liquid benzos that use alcohol as a solvent.)

Thanks Builder.  This helps calm the worry I started to have.  When I heard the word “damage” I kinda freaked out, but haven’t noticed anything so thought maybe they meant long term.  I won’t worry about it anymore.  Thanks for the evidence of amounts ingested.  That really is tiny. 

Hi Mary,

Did I ever ask you how you made your milk?

Thanks, Scaredie

I just used whole milk, probably the first whole milk in 40 years.  It worked fine.

Hi Mary,

Did I ever ask you how you made your milk?

Thanks, Scaredie