Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Do withdrawals get easier the longer you taper?

[Md...]

I have been do a 5 to 10 percent taper every month from Valium for the last few months. Sometimes I honestly can't tell if the withdrawal symptoms or the side fx from the Valium itself are worse. I suffer from...

constant fatigue

brain fog

innability to concentrate/focus

sometimes dizzyness

depression (that was brought on by the Valium)

difficulty finding motivation

sometimes agitation

short term memory loss

Those are my main ones, but I'm still fairly early into my taper and was wondering if things just keep getting worse the more you taper, or is it pretty much the same until you heal? Do most people find that there is a big difference between withdrawal symptoms during their taper and then what follows after they jump? Or do things get better? 

I am currently trying to study for the Comptia A+ exam, but I am having difficulty focusing and learning the deep ins and out of Windows 11, as I am also forgetful, so it's difficult. 

Just curious to know what your experience has been. 

Thanks

Edited by [Md...]

[PE...]

I read different experiences. People saying jump is just like previous cuts. And the opposite.. your symptoms looks mild and that might speak for your favour :)

• Like 1

[Md...]
9 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I read different experiences. People saying jump is just like previous cuts. And the opposite.. your symptoms looks mild and that might speak for your favour :)

Compared to a lot of things I've read, I'd agree with you and say my symptoms are pretty mild, probably because I'm tapering so slow, but even then, the constant fatigue and inability to focus or think straight makes things difficult when I am currently trying to study for school. If I wasn't working from home, I'm not sure how things would be. 

I appreciate your feedback.

• Like 1

[Th...]

For me, the withdrawal symptoms got worse the more I tapered. (I tapered for about 1 year). At first it was like "wow this is easy, no big deal!" Then about half way through I started to get a lot of physical and mental issues but powered through. That last month of my taper I was starting to have a hard time functioning, the tinnitus started, ear pain, visual and auditory hallucinations, fatigue, etc.  The first few weeks after jumping I had benzo flu, difficulty walking, dizzy with the room spinning, nausea, lots of hallucinations, I could not read, concentrate, comprehend, I had depression and anxiety, muscles hurt and extremely tight, fever, high  blood pressure, I felt near death.  The first month clean was brutal, the second month off was bad, third month I began to read and comprehend things, I wasn't as tight and was able to start doing my normal routine. I am approaching month 5 now and while I still get waves, Tinnitus is still hanging on, but I feel like I am starting to really come back. 

• Like 2

[Md...]
7 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

For me, the withdrawal symptoms got worse the more I tapered. (I tapered for about 1 year). At first it was like "wow this is easy, no big deal!" Then about half way through I started to get a lot of physical and mental issues but powered through. That last month of my taper I was starting to have a hard time functioning, the tinnitus started, ear pain, visual and auditory hallucinations, fatigue, etc.  The first few weeks after jumping I had benzo flu, difficulty walking, dizzy with the room spinning, nausea, lots of hallucinations, I could not read, concentrate, comprehend, I had depression and anxiety, muscles hurt and extremely tight, fever, high  blood pressure, I felt near death.  The first month clean was brutal, the second month off was bad, third month I began to read and comprehend things, I wasn't as tight and was able to start doing my normal routine. I am approaching month 5 now and while I still get waves, Tinnitus is still hanging on, but I feel like I am starting to really come back. 

Good on you for pushing through and I'm happy to hear that you are healing!

• Love 1

[PE...]
5 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

This seems to be the most common experience. Whatever the length of taper, CT like symptoms comes when doing the jump. Like pulling out a tooth really slowly. 

:(

• Like 1

[Th...]
Just now, [[M...] said:

Good on you for pushing through and I'm happy to hear that you are healing!

You will get better too once you are completely off the Benzos, I couldn't heal until I was completely done with them. Keep your eyes on your goal of being clean, it may take a few months after your last dose, but you will get past all this too!

• Like 2

[Th...]
3 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

This seems to be the most common experience. Whatever the length of taper, CT like symptoms comes when doing the jump. Like pulling out a tooth really slowly. 

:(

I definitely jumped a bit too soon in the end, I just couldn't wait to stop using this poison! So I jumped. Im sure it wasn't wise but I live on the edge anyway, so .... 😁

• Haha 1

[jo...]
Posted (edited)

I CT'd so I wouldnt know. I think tapering during TW sounds pointless though. surely your already CT'd if the drug isn't working anymore. Im no expert though. Dont take my word for that. sorry I just realised this thread isn't about TW:2funny:

Edited by [jo...]
  • Like 1

[st...]

During my taper, symptoms came and left unannounced. After my jump, symptoms lingered but 8 months out huge improvements began to appear. I only nudged myself gently when ready to do stuff and that worked.

• Like 1

[Md...]
1 hour ago, [[s...] said:

During my taper, symptoms came and left unannounced. After my jump, symptoms lingered but 8 months out huge improvements began to appear. I only nudged myself gently when ready to do stuff and that worked.

How long was your taper?

[st...]

In total I tapered 18.5 months, but out of that, the last 15 months were spent tapering the last 10 mg of valium.

• Like 1

[Ca...]

The answer is not so exact but in your case as with most, all or most symptoms will be over or noticably eased. Once I quit (30 day rapid-detox), I never looked back. Curious how that works. Truth is, I really had to drop in here at times I had no idea what what happening to me. Would have likely been so much harder otherwise. All the best on your path!!

• Like 1

[Ct...]
12 hours ago, [[T...] said:

@[Th...] Which benzo did you take, and what was the dose that you tapered from? I am 75 years old, and I am tapering from 1 mg of Klonopin.

[Md...]
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, [[C...] said:

The answer is not so exact but in your case as with most, all or most symptoms will be over or noticably eased. Once I quit (30 day rapid-detox), I never looked back. Curious how that works. Truth is, I really had to drop in here at times I had no idea what what happening to me. Would have likely been so much harder otherwise. All the best on your path!!

30 days? Wow! How long did it take you to bounce back? 

Everyone says "slow wins the race" with this garbage, but then I read experiences like yours and think if going at a snails pace actually makes a difference. 

I'm tapering 5 to 10 percent each month from 30mg of Valium and usually feel like crap. Maybe it's just waves and windows that I'll experience throughout this tapering journey. 20 months just seems excessive to me though. 

I dunno. This linear taper is confusing.

Edited by [Md...]

[PE...]
3 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

30 days? Wow! How long did it take you to bounce back? 

Everyone says "slow wins the race" with this garbage, but then I read experiences like yours and think if going at a snails pace actually makes a difference. 

I'm tapering 5 to 10 percent each month from 30mg of Valium and usually feel like crap. Maybe it's just waves and windows that I'll experience throughout this tapering journey. 20 months just seems excessive to me though. 

I dunno. This linear taper is confusing.

You shouldn't do it linear when you have like a third left. If you do you will taper in infinity :)))

I went ct but if I hadn't been totally tolerant to the stuff I would have tried micro taper. 

• Like 1

[Md...]
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

You shouldn't do it linear when you have like a third left. If you do you will taper in infinity :)))

I went ct but if I hadn't been totally tolerant to the stuff I would have tried micro taper. 

Thanks for the info. How does one taper into infinity with a linear taper, and how does one do a micro taper?

Edited by [Md...]

[PE...]
1 minute ago, [[M...] said:

Thanks for the info. How does one do a micro taper?

I'm not totally sure but going less than the 5-10% i guees.

Someone else here might chime in on this.

I think everything below the 5-10% might be considered a micro taper.

• Like 1

[Ko...]

@[Md...]I am at 5.25 mg of valium and have a lot of the same symptoms- the lack of motivation and fatigue are really bad. I am working and its getting harder to keep up. I don't feel like doing anything at all. From reading on here, it could be a lot worse though.

I have been tapering .25 mg every 2 weeks. I have not switched to liquid yet.

• Like 2

[PE...]
3 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

@[Md...]I am at 5.25 mg of valium and have a lot of the same symptoms- the lack of motivation and fatigue are really bad. I am working and its getting harder to keep up. I don't feel like doing anything at all. From reading on here, it could be a lot worse though.

I have been tapering .25 mg every 2 weeks. I have not switched to liquid yet.

Yeah for sure it can be ALOT worse. Are you exercise in some way? I know personally that can help with fatigue and motivation.

[Ko...]
4 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Yeah for sure it can be ALOT worse. Are you exercise in some way? I know personally that can help with fatigue and motivation.

I do try to exercise most days. Something light and easy- like bike for 30 minutes or walk 1-2 miles.

But before I hit tolerance and started tapering I had been a lifelong athlete- weights, former marathon runner before a knee injury, yoga.  It is amazing how adversely this medication has affected me. I used to be super-motivated and high achiever.

• Love 1

[jo...]
Just now, [[K...] said:

I do try to exercise most days. Something light and easy- like bike for 30 minutes or walk 1-2 miles.

But before I hit tolerance and started tapering I had been a lifelong athlete- weights, former marathon runner before a knee injury, yoga.  It is amazing how adversely this medication has affected me. I used to be super-motivated and high achiever.

I cant do to much excercise either. It sucks because I used to be in decent shape. I can't wait to be able to excercise properly, It's weird that so much of what normaly makes you healthy you cant do during this crap.

• Like 1

[PE...]
Just now, [[K...] said:

Wow nice! Same here. Not marathon runner just very into working out and a healthy lifestyle. Lost everything last year and starting again three months ago. I'm a projekt person. I choose a projekt and see to it. Going through this is also a projekt. A fucking tough one!

You will be a high archiver again, you will need that part of your personality when it's time to rebuild your self again trust me.

:)

• Like 3

[Md...]
Posted (edited)

Excercise definitely seems to help sometimes. I usually lift weights in the morning. It does cause a cortisol surge, but I notice I have more energy throughout the day and more clarity, even though sometimes I feel like crashing after working out. It seems hit or miss, tbh. 

Same with coffee or caffiene. I sometimes can drink it and feel fine, other times, it revs up anxiety, but I don't feel as lethargic. And sometimes I can be exhausted but still have anxiety. 

I honestly don't get it. 

Edited by [Md...]
  • Like 1