Mark Horowitz 'academic coaching'

I heard that Mark Horowitz helps with tapers and left a message on his website. He replied saying he helps with academic counseling to design and implement a taper plan and adjust it to symptoms.

Would this be good given that I'm struggling to find a suitable psychiatrist? Cost aside?

[Li...]

Hello @[...].  Did Horowitz tell you what he would charge for the design, implementation, and adjustment of a taper plan? If so, would you feel comfortable sharing this?  I suspect many members and guests would be interested in this information.

My guess is he would base the plan on his recently published textbook:

The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs | Wiley

For each of the drugs covered, the book includes examples of faster, moderate, and slower tapering regimens. You can purchase a print copy for $39.99 US at: https://a.co/d/dPaEOAe

@[Li...] I'm not sure if the price quoted was for my requirement. 

I went to his website and to the Contact page and wrote to him. He replied within 24 hours.

If anyone understands how this works, pls let me know. I am unable to figure out my next steps.

7 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Why not just buy the Amazon book for 39 bucks?

I'm afraid that I'm not finding the right psychiatrist to help me in my city. I have been advised the following by various doctors

1. Medical detox

2. Anti depressant and anti psychotics

3. 5mg valium and anti depressant to replace my 3mg Ativan 

4. A form of liquid titration that I 'should be done with in 30 days'

I would feel safer with Mark or similar, atleast to get started off with. I think I can get the last doctor to agree to work with a coach for sometime atleast.

[Ka...]

@[...] I recall (from your other threads) you are having interdose issue with ativan & it’s no longer assisting you to sleep. If this was me the first thing I would perhaps try is to take ativan 1mg x 3 times per day. & see if that helps at all. 

Your gene test shows diazepam unfortunately on caution list. Introducing other meds for example an AD may help or hinder. Finding a suitable practitioner where you are is key to embarking on a suitable plan alongside help from BB, guidance via Mark Horowitz or The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines. 

• Like 3

[Li...]

Hello again @[...].

Given the situation you’ve described in this thread and your other posts, involving Horowitz sounds like a reasonable option.  Please do keep us posted if you decide to do this. 

Re: the suggestion to try dosing 1mg three times a day instead of taking 3mg once a day at bedtime …

Just checking.  Are you aware that this will affect the serum level of the drug?

Taking 3mg of oral lorazepam once a day results in a peak serum level after about 90 to 120 minutes depending on how you metabolize the drug.  (Peak serum level roughly coincides with peak effect.) After the peak is reached, the serum level of the drug decreases into a ‘valley’ until the next dose is taken.

Taking 1mg of lorazepam three times a day will result in lower peaks and  higher valleys in serum level after steady state is achieved.  One of the potential benefits of dosing three times a day is that it may help with interdose withdrawal.  One of the potential risks in your case is that your sleep may be affected.

In your shoes, I would ask Horowitz for input on dividing your dose as well as how to do this in as least disruptive a manner as possible if you decide to try it.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had a personal consultation with Dr.Horowitz  so far? I'm waiting for mine later this month. 

He does make a customized plan as part of the consultation doesn't he? 

[Bo...]

I have talked to him a few times as I have quite the case so not sure what for more straightforward situations how it goes. But it’s well worth getting his thoughts on what you’re doing taper wise or planning to and he can gyve some feedback or thoughts . He is about the top guy on all this and studied biology as well I believe so has a background and looked thru studies on these meds, etc. He’s been in it too so fully understands what people are enduring which helps from connecting to a physician that really understands. 
so it will be money well spent and give you some comfort you reviewed things with the top guy.

wishing you well

• Like 2

His replies to my email queries..

"As I get asked about these topics so frequently I have started offering ‘academic consulting’ via video call on how to safely come off psychiatric drugs/manage protracted withdrawal on the understanding that I am not registered as a doctor in India so cannot take over care or write prescriptions – but with a local prescriber I have been able to help a lot of people untangle themselves from these drugs/manage withdrawal effects"

"I can help you to design a personalised reduction plan and how to go about implementing it in practice and how to adjust it to your symptoms. "

"Some people only need one session to work out what they are doing. Some people come back a couple or several times. "

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does is sound like I will have a customised tapering plan from Dr Horowitz?

Subsequent emails have gone unanswered.

Edited by [...]

Posted (edited)

Was his advise helpful for your healing? Did he give you a written plan or was it generic counselling? @[Bo...]

Edited by [...]

[Bo...]

He will talk thru custom plan for your situation as he best can 

he also is willing sometimes to talk to your current Dr to explain this as he’s leading researcher in the world on this and. Dr himself so other drs respect his thoughts usually 

Edited by [Bo...]
  • Like 1

[Do...]

Hi,

I wrote Dr. HORROWITZ too and he was offering "academic consulting for 300$ 50 min. I needed to think it very deeply as i am one of the many of us that can not function normally and not able to work, that is a big amount of money for someone who has zero incomes now.

Today i was checking his appointments schedule,wich i have been doing lately for a few days and i was shocked he has raised the price to 375$.

This is just so dissapointing that i have lost of respect for him as someone just trying to take advantage of the ones that are suffering as he once did.

This is dirty and he could earn lots of money by helping other people without having to be so greedy.

Edited by [Do...]
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Besides my history with ativan, current symptoms, my failed diazepam trial,  what else should I discuss with Dr.Horowitz? 

I will be asking him about supporting medications.

• Like 1

[Ka...]

Hello @Nlav 

I’d suggest he’ll like the reason you were given ativan i.e. diagnosis if you had/have one, any other meds taken - in particular the antibiotic since that is so relevant. Any tests you may have had that might help. Oh - the gene one especially. 
Guidance on whether to divide dose. 

Edited by [Ka...]
Additions
  • Like 2

I believe I have seen him on YouTube and I like him. Easy to listen to precise someone I think I could work with. Have you seen him on YouTube yet?