Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Gabapentin: yes or no?

[Kr...]

Hello guys 

I told my doctor I was with a lot of headaches and feeling electrical. she told me to take gabapentin, 300mg per day. 

What do you think? Thanks 

[al...]

I tried it and it didn't do anything for me.  But your experience might be different

[PE...]

Might sound stupid but have you tried coffee for your headache?

Gabapentin comes with awful withdrawals. And it's bioactivitet is really low compared to it's bigger brother pregabalin, so you need big doses to get any effect.

Many, me included, got helped with the special kind of migraine like headache with simple coffee. 

[Ho...]

Gabapentin is not easily absorbed into the gut. It's very spotty. Sometimes it will work for you and then it just won't. 

I have some too. My doctor would probably give me all I wanted (says it's as harmless as water and advised me to eat it like candy. I kid you not.) I asked for 100 mg pills, two pills a day. But I don't take it all. Some days I only take one pill. Only once or twice have I take two.

Supposedly it's better to get it in your system and keep a steady flow. I disagree! It's better, to me, to have it on hand when symptoms are so bad I can't stand it. Then I still push it a bit. But I find it helps in a small way with burning skin and jittery feelings. It's not a huge difference but it's enough to lighten my load on some days, and that's all I need. 

Less is almost (but not always!) more when it comes to pharmeceuticals, in my book!

Warmly,

HCHC

[Kr...]
9 hours ago, [[a...] said:

I tried it and it didn't do anything for me.  But your experience might be different

Thanks Allen. I’m having a pain killer for this week when I am with a lot of pain. I will try not to start if I can handle 

[Kr...]
9 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Might sound stupid but have you tried coffee for your headache?

Gabapentin comes with awful withdrawals. And it's bioactivitet is really low compared to it's bigger brother pregabalin, so you need big doses to get any effect.

Many, me included, got helped with the special kind of migraine like headache with simple coffee. 

Hello! 

I saw your comments and I’m doing it 😃 two coffees per day. It helps a little bit but the pain is still here 24/7. 

[Kr...]
6 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Gabapentin is not easily absorbed into the gut. It's very spotty. Sometimes it will work for you and then it just won't. 

I have some too. My doctor would probably give me all I wanted (says it's as harmless as water and advised me to eat it like candy. I kid you not.) I asked for 100 mg pills, two pills a day. But I don't take it all. Some days I only take one pill. Only once or twice have I take two.

Supposedly it's better to get it in your system and keep a steady flow. I disagree! It's better, to me, to have it on hand when symptoms are so bad I can't stand it. Then I still push it a bit. But I find it helps in a small way with burning skin and jittery feelings. It's not a huge difference but it's enough to lighten my load on some days, and that's all I need. 

Less is almost (but not always!) more when it comes to pharmeceuticals, in my book!

Warmly,

HCHC

Thanks for your help. I think I’m going to use it as a urgent med to and not like a everyday one 

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Have you heard of LDN? It’s not a psychiatric medication but helps pain, inflammation, produces endorphins and much more. I would suggest Google and a search here as there is a thread with multiple pages.

Gabapentin is difficult to get off but many are prescribed during benzo cessation. De rigor in treatment facilities.

[Ca...]
Posted (edited)

I originally took it as a mood stabilizer. Not sure it did that much so I kind of got lazy about taking. I think at the time, it was about 300mg / day. Then I went through the 30 day rapid-detox (K ~6mg / day), which was pretty rough going so the Gabapentin helped to ease my mind a bit. FF to current, at 3200mg / day, who knows what it's doing to my head but I can't get off it now. Perhaps on down the road, . . . scared think about it. 

Anyway, I don't usually give advice, but to say avoid stress if possible. That's all I got.

Edited by [Ca...]
grammar, wording, emphasis
  • Like 1

[re...]

Do lifestyle changes FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me doctor................ me think gabapentin GOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!! Me read journals that tell me it good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pharma rep give me samples, clocks, and pens with gabapentin label  and say GOOOODDDD TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Rh...]
17 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hello guys 

I told my doctor I was with a lot of headaches and feeling electrical. she told me to take gabapentin, 300mg per day. 

I’m in the same boat with the headaches, but mine are migraines and head pressure and also the electrical feeling, and my neuro has also suggested gabapentin.  I’m too afraid now to try anything so I’ve passed, but I just wanted to say this is a sign of healing happening in your body and adding anything else might disrupt the healing that’s trying to take place.

I do however know how debilitating this is, especially the head stuff, and I too desperately want relief.  Luckily Advil and Tylenol (I’m in the US and they are just over the counter acetaminophen and an NSAID) do kinda help but I avoid everyday use.

I know some people do well with propranolol which I feel acts differently that any psych meds and gabapentin…maybe look into that, or even a prescription headache med??!!  

Good luck and let me know what you decide.  

[Rh...]

Oh also coffee has also kind of helped and might be a good option if your able to drink it???

[re...]

In all honesty though. I have heard that Gabapentin can be hell on the body. All kinds of dental problems and hair problems..  Not as bad on the brain. But STILL it is an anticonvulsant so be weary. 

Doctor to patient: You got a headache?.........Gabapentin!!!!!!!!!!!!!............you feeling a bit of pain from exercise?...........Gabapentin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You strain a muscle from bending down? I got just what you need.............GABAPENTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please please listen to the suggestions from Peppe and Rhernanhtown. Coffee has been a miracle for me in all of this. So far so good. 

With any headache issue you may have. Make sure you are getting PLENTY of hydration. Notice how I said hydration and not just water intake. Make sure you are getting good salt in your foods or even adding it to your water. Too much water on it's own can cause issues. 

Low hydration can wreak havoc on blood vessels and cause all kinds of issues including headaches. Also STRETCH like crazy. All the time and watch your posture while sitting  on the computer. 

[re...]

And limit your computer/screen use. The strain on your eyes is overwhelming and just this could be causing your issues. 

[re...]

Also Omega 3 fatty acids and niacin (foods preferably) but I believe it was Theoriginalaudigirl here that was having bad headaches and said niacin was a game changer for her. 

I supplement with Cod liver oil and I think it is helping me. 

[re...]

Hotcoldhotcold:

I have some too. My doctor would probably give me all I wanted (says it's as harmless as water and advised me to eat it like candy. I kid you not.) I asked for 100 mg pills, two pills a day. But I don't take it all. Some days I only take one pill. Only once or twice have I take two.

I REST MY CASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHEEPLE THE BULK OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Tw...]
21 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hello guys 

@[Kr...]I agree with others that coffee helps. I have never took gabapentin for long, and I am not sure if it helps or not. How good is your doctor? Is it a doctor you can trust ? 

[PE...]
1 hour ago, [[r...] said:

Hotcoldhotcold:

I have some too. My doctor would probably give me all I wanted (says it's as harmless as water and advised me to eat it like candy. I kid you not.) I asked for 100 mg pills, two pills a day. But I don't take it all. Some days I only take one pill. Only once or twice have I take two.

I REST MY CASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHEEPLE THE BULK OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried gabapentin and had to take ALOT to get any effect. Like 1500mg/1.5 gram.

As hotcold said they are not easily absorbed. That's why the made pregabalin, same effect just needs to take less.

[Kr...]

Im going to try to avoid it for now, guys, and take just a pain killer, now and then! Let’s see if I can do it! Thanks guys