Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Gardener99- Thanks so much for the encouragement! I appreciate it and now feel better about the ST memory issues. Ha! I have to laugh, you and the salad dressing sounds just like me and the Old Bay seasoning, exactly! I had no recollection of taking it out of the cupboard and I had just done it a couple minutes before. It's great to know we are healing. Have a wonderful weekend. Rose

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, Gardner recommended me to this thread.  I haven't been here before. Thank you Gardner!  I totally agree with the poster (sorry can't remember the name) who posted a very long comment about how reading scary stuff only makes things worse.  It sure does for me.  So very good advice to stay away from that stuff.

I'm about 2/3 done with my taper and have been using cut and hold, doing flat .0625mg cuts every 14 days from a starting dose of 3mg, been tapering for 16 months.  I'm currently at .9375mg (daily dose) and am still doing OK with cut and hold.  One of the reasons I've avoided a daily taper is because I'm not good at math and theory, also I have to fly for my job.  If I did do a daily taper, I would probably want to do a liquid taper.  How would you get your premeasured doses through the airport?  Anyone else have to deal with this?

I am a little worried about the lower doses, right now I'm at a 6.6% cut rate, but of course that increases with each flat cut I make.

Hugs to everyone here  :smitten:

Bunny

Hey everyone, Gardner recommended me to this thread.  I haven't been here before. Thank you Gardner!  I totally agree with the poster (sorry can't remember the name) who posted a very long comment about how reading scary stuff only makes things worse.  It sure does for me.  So very good advice to stay away from that stuff.

I'm about 2/3 done with my taper and have been using cut and hold, doing flat .0625mg cuts every 14 days from a starting dose of 3mg, been tapering for 16 months.  I'm currently at .9375mg (daily dose) and am still doing OK with cut and hold.  One of the reasons I've avoided a daily taper is because I'm not good at math and theory, also I have to fly for my job.  If I did do a daily taper, I would probably want to do a liquid taper.  How would you get your premeasured doses through the airport?  Anyone else have to deal with this?

I am a little worried about the lower doses, right now I'm at a 6.6% cut rate, but of course that increases with each flat cut I make.

Bunny

Bun Bun!

How good to see you here.

I am not sure about he liquid Xanax and TSA. I have a compound a liquid so my bottle is from the pharmacy and labored and just considered a prescription drug.

Maybe you could plan it so as to not have to dose during a flight?

or wojdl that be too long ?

I think you make it with water and alcohol, too, right?

I'm happy to see you.w

Hugs.

Moo

Hey Moo my friend!  Good to see you here too!  I could maybe try the liquid Xanax (I believe it's made by Roxanne), but I'm a bit nervous to do that because I've always taken pills.  I don't know how my body would react and I can't really afford to screw up.  When I fly, I don't usually have an option as to when I fly, it's dictated by my clients and when they want to see me.  If I didn't have to worry about flying, I would probably do a daily liquid taper in a red hot minute!

I'm not sure what everyone here uses to dissolve Xanax tablets, anyone have a comment on that?

Hugs,

Bunny :smitten:

Hey Moo my friend!  Good to see you here too!  I could maybe try the liquid Xanax (I believe it's made by Roxanne), but I'm a bit nervous to do that because I've always taken pills.  I don't know how my body would react and I can't really afford to screw up.  When I fly, I don't usually have an option as to when I fly, it's dictated by my clients and when they want to see me.  If I didn't have to worry about flying, I would probably do a daily liquid taper in a red hot minute!

I'm not sure what everyone here uses to dissolve Xanax tablets, anyone have a comment on that?

Hugs,

Yes, it's Roxanne .

If you have that, you don't have a problem traveling. Since it s prescription drugs and you just carry it in your see through baggy.

I've done it and I'm doing it again tomorrow  8)

You can just mix with water in the bathroom. Bring Purell.. :laugh:

I not sure how to dissolve Xanax so I'll have to let that one pass. Sorry, Bun. :-\

I think if you'll just switch to part liquid and hold for a week or so to see how your doing,which should be just fine, you'll be good to go.

It made such a difference for me, Bun.

I really do believe that it was th set thing I could have done for myself during this taper.

Rabbit11,

Xanax does break down in water, but it doesn't dissolve. It settles at the bottom so it can be difficult getting an accurate dose. You can use whole milk or half and half, the Xanax stays evenly suspended much better after a couple shakes. I am micro tapering using a 1 ml syringe to measure, it has .01 and .001 increments, right now I am at .166 mg three times a day. I have read that Xanax has an affinity for the fat molecules in milk and that explains why it dissolves. Good luck! Rose ;)

Thanks Moo and rbd.  I can't really use milk because of my travel.  If I have to go to a daily taper, I may need to use the liquid Xanax.  Moo, did you have any troubles making the switch between the pills and the liquid?  I can get 1cc and .5cc syringes, so that shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone use a combo of pills and then use the liquid to taper from?  Eventually you'd have to use all liquid to taper.  When I say liquid, I mean the prescription liquid manufactured by Roxanne.  I know it's more expensive than pills.

:smitten:

Can y'all please read the post from kris1967 on the titration board and help her.  I have to be with my family right now and she is reaching out for help and messaged me.  I'm ok but my family needs me I will explain later. I will try to check in tonight and help too.

Will do! (Now y'all can resist making comments about the Princess of Paranoia rushing to help someone!  :laugh:)

It was this one Gardener.  :)

Bunny

Welcome, Bunny!  I think you will find the math and dilution guys will recommend dissolving the pill in a very small amount of 80 proof vodka and then diluting it with water. My Xanax is pre-dissolved so I don't have to do that, I just dilute with water. Benzos will also dissolve in fat, which is present in whole milk or half-and-half. So people who don't want to use even a tiny bit of alcohol, will use either of those.

There is an important distinction between diluting and suspending. Here's my explanation from June 26th when we were discussing the topic:

I think what Builder said bears repeating. Dissolving something causes the solute (benzo) to become evenly distributed in the solvent (alcohol) and then stay that way. It will not settle out again. It only takes a small amount of alcohol to make the solution, i.e., a benzo dissolved in alcohol. Then you can dilute the solution with the water to whatever strength you want for your micro taper. The alcohol (with its dissolved benzo, too) and water will mix evenly and I think stay that way.

With most benzos, you cannot make a solution with water and the benzo. The benzo will not dissolve in the water. It will suspend in the water. The little particles are floating around but will settle with time. That is called a suspension. Medicines sometimes do come as suspensions, but you need to re-mix (shake or stir) them every time you take a dose to make sure the little particles are evenly distributed and not mostly/partly on the bottom of the container. That's a little risky when you need a very accurate dose. A solution is the way to go.

Thanks Moo and rbd.  I can't really use milk because of my travel.  If I have to go to a daily taper, I may need to use the liquid Xanax.  Moo, did you have any troubles making the switch between the pills and the liquid?  I can get 1cc and .5cc syringes, so that shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone use a combo of pills and then use the liquid to taper from?  Eventually you'd have to use all liquid to taper.  When I say liquid, I mean the prescription liquid manufactured by Roxanne.  I know it's more expensive than pills.

Yes, I took my whole dose in pills , Bun. And then only replaced 0.5 mgr of my Valium with liquid and taper with that. If you dose multiple times a day I'd say in your case it might be the way to go too. And then just reduce some of your morning dose with liquid, for example.

When you're done with that, after a week or two ( for me) move to the other dose and do the same there.

So you chip off some off each dose with liquid, alternating.

I used to replace 0.5 of my 2.5 mgr dose for example. Then took 2 mgr in pills and reduced 0.05 mgr each day from my liquid till the whole 0.5 mgr was gone.

Then move to my evening dose. Do the same.

I know that it's differ with the Xanax ratio. But does the method make sense?

And yes, the very last dose you taper will be all liquid. I just eliminated my 2 pm dose. It was down to 0.5 mgr Valium, so that one was replaced by liquid only.

And I held for ten day myself on liquid and then started tapering. I felt the transition a bit, felt a bit sedated. Maybe because of the quicker absorption, maybe not. I don't know.

For what I can tell, most her hold for a bit and when they feel okay ( as much as possible ) they start.

Hope that helps. :smitten:

Hugs,

I started with pills and barely noticed the difference when I switched to the alprazolam intensol by Roxane. I have syringes that measure down to .02mg which meant I could get really low (being very careful to measure correctly, look it up and practice getting those darn bubbles out) before I even needed to start diluting. My syringes have little caps so I can carry my premeasured doses in my purse.

Gardener99- Thanks so much for the encouragement! I appreciate it and now feel better about the ST memory issues. Ha! I have to laugh, you and the salad dressing sounds just like me and the Old Bay seasoning, exactly! I had no recollection of taking it out of the cupboard and I had just done it a couple minutes before. It's great to know we are healing. Have a wonderful weekend. Rose

:thumbsup:

Thanks Moo and rbd.  I can't really use milk because of my travel.  If I have to go to a daily taper, I may need to use the liquid Xanax.  Moo, did you have any troubles making the switch between the pills and the liquid?  I can get 1cc and .5cc syringes, so that shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone use a combo of pills and then use the liquid to taper from? Eventually you'd have to use all liquid to taper.  When I say liquid, I mean the prescription liquid manufactured by Roxanne.  I know it's more expensive than pills.

Yup, several people do.

If you can get the intensol by Roxane, it will be sooo much easier, because the dissolving part is already done.

Can y'all please read the post from kris1967 on the titration board and help her.  I have to be with my family right now and she is reaching out for help and messaged me.  I'm ok but my family needs me I will explain later. I will try to check in tonight and help too.

Will do! (Now y'all can resist making comments about the Princess of Paranoia rushing to help someone!  :laugh:)

It was this one Gardener.  :)

I should have known! :laugh:

Thank you Moo and Gardner, yes what you both said makes sense.  Gardner, where do you get your syringes with caps?  How do you keep them from discharging in your purse?  I've got access to 1cc and .5cc syringes, but they are just regular syringes with no needle. 

I've got to sign off for the night, but will be on tomorrow.  Thank you all for your kind responses  :smitten:

Thank you Moo and Gardner, yes what you both said makes sense.  Gardner, where do you get your syringes with caps?  How do you keep them from discharging in your purse?  I've got access to 1cc and .5cc syringes, but they are just regular syringes with no needle. 

I've got to sign off for the night, but will be on tomorrow.  Thank you all for your kind responses  :smitten:

Bun, no needle is good. You don't want to inject your Xanax  ;D

You can get syringes with different measurements on the net or at the pharmacy , too if you'd need them. My doctor had them in the office too.

Ok I really need help. I want to daily micro taper off .5 mg Klonopin with liquid titration. What would you guys suggest? I am lactose intolerant so I think I would need to use alcohol to dissolve the tablet. Not sure how to go about it. I have been on .5 mg Klonopin for 8 months but had quit .25 mg Klonopin cold turkey last August after taking it on and off for 4 years and it didn't go well at all. I know this time to go slow. I want to minimize the hell withdrawl symptoms so I can still function. I couldn't function when I C/T'd.

Yes, you want an oral syringe with no needle, such as you would use to give medicine to a baby or a cat. I use these for the alprazolam intensol concentrate. My dose is so small that the plunger barely sticks up at all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013Y6JK2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I recently also bought these, but haven't tried them yet. I know I will need to use bigger syringes when I am transporting my dilution around.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OABXLOM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I roll the capped syringe up in a waxed paper bag (like these http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Value-Waxed-Paper-Bags/dp/B001KUSK5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435979301&sr=8-1&keywords=waxed+paper+bag) that I find in our grocery store next to the plastic sandwich baggies, put a small rubber band around it, and put the rolled up syringe capped end down and plunger end up in my purse between my wallet and the edge of the purse so it stays upright. I have never accidentally depressed the plunger. If I do bump it, I am actually bumping the waxed paper because it sticks up higher than the plunger.

I am also considering transporting my doses in these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4ABY4E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

This brand of bottle has a rubber stopper inside the lid, so I think they ought to be leak-proof. If I used these, I would drink the dilution, add more water to the bottle, shake, and drink again.

I get funny looks from people who don't understand that a syringe does not mean a needle and think I am sticking needle in my mouth! The bottles would maybe be a little less weird?  :laugh:

DOES DRINKING YOUR SOLUTION GIVE ANY OF YOU A "SORE THROAT" OR CAUSE YOU TO FEEL THE NEED TO COUGH?

THESE 2 SX'S STARTED FOR ME, ABOUT 14 DAYS AGO.

THANK YOU,

FB :)

Ok I really need help. I want to daily micro taper off .5 mg Klonopin with liquid titration. What would you guys suggest? I am lactose intolerant so I think I would need to use alcohol to dissolve the tablet. Not sure how to go about it. I have been on .5 mg Klonopin for 8 months but had quit .25 mg Klonopin cold turkey last August after taking it on and off for 4 years and it didn't go well at all. I know this time to go slow. I want to minimize the hell withdrawl symptoms so I can still function. I couldn't function when I C/T'd.

You are on the right track, Pin. I am not the math and dilution guru, but I will give you the basics for right now and the gurus will come along eventually. Or, if you go back and read through this thread, you will find lots of info and maybe even the answer to your question. (I think the math gurus are busy with holiday weekend plans at the moment.)

You dissolve your pill in a small amount of alcohol, 80 proof vodka, I believe. Then you dilute that to the strength you want for your daily taper. You do not want to use just water because most benzos will not dissolve in water.  I guess you could also dissolve in straight cream, which would eliminate the lactose problem, but then you would add the need to refrigerate. Alcohol is the simplest.

Once you have your dilution, you can easily make tiny cuts to your dose every day or maybe every other day, depending on how you feel. Usually, the gurus recommend you dilute and just take your current dose in diluted form for a week and see how you feel. Sometimes dieting changes the dose a tiny bit. Better to be cautious and go slowly to minimize symptoms.

Edit: I take back the cream suggestion. Cream isn't homogenized, so you couldn't dissolve it in water to dilute it further and would have to drink it straight. Yuck.

Do you take 2 or three doses a day?

For two doses

dissolve the 0.5 mg pill in 2 mL of 80 proof or higher alcohol (usually vodka).  Then add 98 mL of water for a total of 100 mL of liquid (this is 0.005 mg/mL). Then divide into two 50 mL doses.  You might want to stay on your current dose for about a week or so when you first switch to liquid.  If you take three doses, just divide the 100 mL into three equal doses.

On the first day of your taper, remove 0.5 mL from your 100 mL. Divide into two (or three) doses.

Second day, remove 1.0 mL

Third day remove 1.5 mL

Fourth day remove 2.0 mL and so on. 

This would be a 7% reduction in two weeks time.  You can adjust the taper rate to go slower or faster which will depend on how you are feeling.  The idea is to not reduce by more than 5-10% every two weeks. 

I hope this helps.

Anne

DOES DRINKING YOUR SOLUTION GIVE ANY OF YOU A "SORE THROAT" OR CAUSE YOU TO FEEL THE NEED TO COUGH?

THANK YOU,

Not I. Are you using alcohol or milk to dissolve? And is this something you don't ordinarily consume? You might try washing your dilution down with water. I usually do.

Do you take 2 or three doses a day?

For two doses

dissolve the 0.5 mg pill in 2 mL of 80 proof or higher alcohol (usually vodka).  Then add 98 mL of water for a total of 100 mL of liquid (this is 0.005 mg/mL). Then divide into two 50 mL doses.  You might want to stay on your current dose for about a week or so when you first switch to liquid.  If you take three doses, just divide the 100 mL into three equal doses.

On the first day of your taper, remove 0.5 mL from your 100 mL. Divide into two (or three) doses.

Second day, remove 1.0 mL

Third day remove 1.5 mL

Fourth day remove 2.0 mL and so on. 

This would be a 7% reduction in two weeks time.  You can adjust the taper rate to go slower or faster which will depend on how you are feeling.  The idea is to not reduce by more than 5-10% every two weeks. 

I hope this helps.

Anne

Yay, math guru to the rescue!  :thumbsup:

THANK YOU,

Not I. Are you using alcohol or milk to dissolve? And is this something you don't ordinarily consume? You might try washing your dilution down with water. I usually do.

MY XANAX SOLUTION IS WATER BASED. IT WILL BE A YEAR SINCE I STARTED DOING THIS, AND THESE SX'S STARTED ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO.  KINDA WEIRD.  AFTER DRINKING MY DOSE...I ALWAYS FOLLOW WITH A DRINK OF WATER TO RINSE IT ALL DOWN.

THANK YOU,

FB

THANK YOU,

MY XANAX SOLUTION IS WATER BASED. IT WILL BE A YEAR SINCE I STARTED DOING THIS, AND THESE SX'S STARTED ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO.  KINDA WEIRD.  AFTER DRINKING MY DOSE...I ALWAYS FOLLOW WITH A DRINK OF WATER TO RINSE IT ALL DOWN.

THANK YOU,

FB

I'm assuming you are on this thread because you are micro-tapering using a very diluted solution (or suspension). Because the dilution is weak, I would be surprised if it caused a sore throat. Also, if you've been doing this for a year with no trouble, then IMHO, your sore throat is not related to drinking the Xanax dilution. Something else is going on. Plain old irritation from a virus, maybe?

P.S. Keep the new baby avatar. It's adorable!