Polydrugging support group

[Co...]

Hi bud, I used the adrenal cocktail on some nights, niacin on others. I used niacin for around 3 months between 100mg to 300mg, and was able to stop it no problem. I also occasionally took a dead sea salts bath soak to make me sleepy. The niacin flush revved me up a bit but it worked great for helping me sleep. I always wake up in the early hours, still do, but those things kept me groggy to be able to go back to sleep.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [ga...]

• [Li...]

• [ra...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I've variously been on risperidone, citalopram, quetiapine, olanzapine, propanolol, circadin, diazepam, zopiclone, lyrica and am down to just 8mg fluoxetine now. I left the crisis care team on 8mg diazepam, not sure how much olanzapine, blurry time, and 40mg citalopram, switched to 60mg fluoxetine. I quickly weaned fluoxetine down to 20mg then went slow from there, weaned off olanzapine more quickly, and took a few years coming off diazepam.

I feel awesome right now, and am going slow coming off fluoxetine.

I am living proof that we can bounce back from multi psych withdrawal. The brain heals regardless, if you eat right, and live clean, with exercise at whatever level you can manage, when you reach a stage in withdrawal when you can manage it.

I used and still use probiotics, kefir and curcumin.

I'm glad to hear you were able to come out of a bad polydrugging situation.  My main issue is insomnia and is pretty much the only reason I am unable to withdraw.  Did you experience this during your tapering and what did you find was best to combat the insomnia?

LIC

I read time to time your updates/ it breaks my heart to see members who are going through HELL / not hell/

I just surrounded to the process and was taking minutes by minutes /

at that very moment it felt like time literally stopped and your wd torture was trying to end your soul/

someone from BB forum told to me

/we do not perceive reality correctly while we are in this torment /

LIC the only way out is through///

its painful/ its scary/  its not fair

this is the fate we have been given

and you can't escape it

hugs

v

:smitten:

Hi LIC, I found that slowing the taper down, doing a daily microtaper was the best way to get off. Psychologically you know every day brings you a little bit closer, even if only by small amounts. What has stunned me though is how fast healing has become coming off the SSRI, because I slowed that right down. I am training at a level that I haven't been at since I was a teenager. It will get better bud, I was on a truckload of drugs, and the damage is only temporary. We evolve, buddy. Mother Nature will help you adapt in a sometimes brutal journey, but you will adapt and become stronger. I know this, bud. I walked the walk. Namaste.  :)

Hi all!  Corsair and Gardener, I have been following this thread and am encouraged that you both got off Trazodone.  I think this drug is complicating my benzo (Xanax) taper and after reading about it, want off now!  I think it is adding to my anxiety and definitely increased heart rate.  I went off it C/T before and just had discomfort for a few days.  But I was taking more Xanax at night.  Wish I knew what I did...I take 50 mg at night before bed and then 50 mg when I wake up about 4 hours later.  I think I am going to change that to 25 mg/dose.  I know it seems fast, but I am going to try it... :)

I've variously been on risperidone, citalopram, quetiapine, olanzapine, propanolol, circadin, diazepam, zopiclone, lyrica and am down to just 8mg fluoxetine now. I left the crisis care team on 8mg diazepam, not sure how much olanzapine, blurry time, and 40mg citalopram, switched to 60mg fluoxetine. I quickly weaned fluoxetine down to 20mg then went slow from there, weaned off olanzapine more quickly, and took a few years coming off diazepam.

I feel awesome right now, and am going slow coming off fluoxetine.

I am living proof that we can bounce back from multi psych withdrawal. The brain heals regardless, if you eat right, and live clean, with exercise at whatever level you can manage, when you reach a stage in withdrawal when you can manage it.

I used and still use probiotics, kefir and curcumin.

Hey Fmwandkids :)

I was wondering.. how are you tapering off of the Prozac? I just bought vegetarian capsules that I can empty my pills in and weigh... so it's just a matter of math... and how fast does one usually end up tapering off Prozac.. what have you been able to handle?

Is it ever advisable to taper multiple meds at once when you are on them? IE: start tapering a mg of Prozac here or there while still tapering the Valium?

Thanks!

Hey Dan, I tapered the fluoxetine and diazepam at the same time, but found I had to go very slow with the fluoxetine. I'm microtapering the last 8mg now but it is fairly effortless. Maybe I could go faster, but I don't want to rock the boat, so am going to take around 2-3 years if necessary. I know it seems excessive but I feel so good I want to keep it that way. However slow doesn't matter when your symptoms fade away over time and normality kicks in.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only three days into my Depakote reduction and I feel hypomanic.  I was told that I had to cut by 125 mg every 2 to 4 weeks since all of a sudden no pharmacist knows how to compound Depakote.  They claim that they cannot buy the main ingredient anywhere.  However, I was offered some sort of liquid that ends up being valproic acid in the end but I turned it down.

So I decided to move forward with just the 125 mg tablets.  I went from 1000 mg of Depakote to 875 mg of Depakote and now I feel the hypomania and it is eventually going to cause complete insomnia and then I will not be able to withdraw.  I saw something called Depakote Sprinkles capsules which come in the 125 mg form too.  Apparently you can open the capsule and sprinkle the dose on food.  I was wondering why it wasn't suggested that I just take half of what is in the Depakote Sprinkles capsule so I can reduce by 62.5 mg or even less?

So I had the MRI done. Nothing is obviously damaged.

He could not tell me if I stretched ligaments, that's still a posibility, but a PT could assess me.

I'm thinking please God! Let it be benzo's! And not my ligaments

• 1 month later...

Hi:

I'm sad to say that I belong here. My K taper has been a breeze so far but I have other drugs to get off. I am scared to death of that horrible Seroquel. I tried a while ago, dropping by 25 mg and didn't sleep for 10 days so I gave up and reinstated. I hope one is able to cut the 100 mg pills into eights. The good news is that I took a chance and C/T 700 mg Gabapentin and didn't feel a thing. Many years ago, I was on a whopping 5,000 mg and C/T that as well, with no ill effects. But that darned Seroquel....... Mandala warned me not to take it but did I listen to her? I was so sleep deprived that I would have taken just about anything, Now I am stuck as I am ready to finish my K taper. Bleh. I guess this is the place that nobody wants to be.

I take only 25mg of Seroquel. I tried 50mg once and it did not help more than 25mg. Now gabapentin, I have trouble with that one.  :-\ I think I will have to taper it. But it is sometimes the only thing that works, especially when I have nerve pain.  I think we have to choose the lesser of two evils. No sleep is an evil that outweighs almost everything else. So, one thing at a time and we will all get there. Truly, even when I don't feel it, I know it, if that makes sense.

Gard :smitten:

Thanks: I think we all have different poisons to deal with. Mine being that evil S and yours being Gabapentin....At least they come in powder capsules so you can break them open and take out as much as you want to.

Bets

I've been cutting back my gabapentin little by little and its been rough. Want to see how low I can get and still sleep so I'm not taking more than I need. Although, the low dose Seroquel I sometimes take also makes me feel crummy. I sleep some but feel awful all the next day. Still, it beats not sleeping. When that happens my brain comes apart and I make no sense and don't know up from down. I have no sleep reserve at all any more. My daughter comes when she can and sits with me so I don't end up walking off into the night or something because I'm confused and distraught. I really don't like teetering on the edge of loony.  :o

I have found a sleep psychologist an hour and a half from me and have an appointment next week. Don't worry, I'm not driving! I'm hoping she can help me. All of these drugs I'm on are because of a total collapse of my ability to sleep after I went through menopause and after a traumatic experience. I want off of the drugs but I have found nobody in the area who has a clue what to do about that. I have a tiny bit of hope that this psychologist may be able to help.

But, no matter what, and no matter how awful I feel, I'm not going to give up. We are all going to get through this. Someone another thread once said, "We are walking each other home." Perfect. Let's do it! :hug:

To all my USA friends, Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you are at home having a peaceful holiday.  And wishes for peace for all wherever you are!

Gard :smitten:

Benzogirl how about a microtaper for the seroquel as well?

Corsair:

That would be a good idea, but I have no clue how to do it! I only know how to MT K. Using the dry method.

Hi:

I'm sad to say that I belong here. My K taper has been a breeze so far but I have other drugs to get off. I am scared to death of that horrible Seroquel. I tried a while ago, dropping by 25 mg and didn't sleep for 10 days so I gave up and reinstated. I hope one is able to cut the 100 mg pills into eights. The good news is that I took a chance and C/T 700 mg Gabapentin and didn't feel a thing. Many years ago, I was on a whopping 5,000 mg and C/T that as well, with no ill effects. But that darned Seroquel....... Mandala warned me not to take it but did I listen to her? I was so sleep deprived that I would have taken just about anything, Now I am stuck as I am ready to finish my K taper. Bleh. I guess this is the place that nobody wants to be.

I'm right there with you Bets.  I have to get off K, Lex and Traz.  I feel like the Lex might be giving me some extra anxiety issues.  I really want off the damn K, but I'm almost thinking I need to kick the Lex first.  Yesterday I felt like I needed to go to the nuthouse.  The traz is the only way I sleep right now.  Once I get off the other 2, I'll tackle the taz.  What took 5 months to get on, is going to take quite a while to get off. 

Hi:

Hi Sierra: I took Lex, as I just pointed out on KK. It drove me insane anxiety, thus insomnia as well. My pdoc thought it best for me to taper the lex before I started tapering my K. I felt so much less anxiety when I finally got rid of it, and thus was able to begin my taper w/o any anxiety at all. That drug will kick your butt. Ugh!

I'm right there with you Bets.  I have to get off K, Lex and Traz.  I feel like the Lex might be giving me some extra anxiety issues.  I really want off the damn K, but I'm almost thinking I need to kick the Lex first.  Yesterday I felt like I needed to go to the nuthouse.  The traz is the only way I sleep right now.  Once I get off the other 2, I'll tackle the taz.  What took 5 months to get on, is going to take quite a while to get off.

I want to come off my seroquel too. But it's taking such a long time. I want to do a proper taper this time (unlike the previous rapid tapers) God. 10% every month as prescribed by surviving antidepressants, take forever. And I'm very scared of those meds. But yeah  :sick: Seeing the doc this week, gonna ask what to do , maybe 10% every three weeks? I saw mindseeker jumped off 6,25 mgs, but I was planning to go down to 1 mg. But in my mind now, it's such a huge thing to do, I can't imagine being on this for an extra year because of it

Feeling so scared all the time  :( I've been on antipsychotics for more than 10 years, cold turkeyed it a few years back and now I'm on seroquel AGAIN.

It feels like maybe I have ruined my life and it won't get better.

I read too much creepy stuff about antipsychotics and fearing permanent damage.

I wish MindSeeker was around.

I cannot seem to calm down. Wondering if i should taper faster. But probably a bad idea. i feel damned if I do, damned if I don't.

It will take another whole year for me to get off this.

It seems so undoable in my head. Patience is not my forte.

That's why all the cold turkeys and rapid tapers.

I want to do the right thing this time. But the right thing is too much for me to handle. But I can't decide how I should taper.

Hi Corsair. Sorry I haven't been around much, but I'm dropping in today and wanted to check on how you were doing.

I really identify with the fear you're feeling. It's so hard to keep going when your brain can't give you any encouragement and everything seems doomed. But I have had one or two tiny moments of feeling like things aren't as bad as they seem, and that has been enough to keep me going. It reminded me that my fears were just thoughts, not the truth. Even though they feel so powerful, they do not control everything. There is hope.

I hope that you can feel some hope soon. But even if you can't yet, that doesn't mean you never will. You have done amazing work so far for your health, and I believe you are stronger than you think. I'll be thinking of you and hoping you can get some good advice on how to taper. No matter how slowly you go, you are still making progress and you should still applaud yourself for that whenever you can. :hug:

Hi Corsair. Sorry I haven't been around much, but I'm dropping in today and wanted to check on how you were doing.

I really identify with the fear you're feeling. It's so hard to keep going when your brain can't give you any encouragement and everything seems doomed. But I have had one or two tiny moments of feeling like things aren't as bad as they seem, and that has been enough to keep me going. It reminded me that my fears were just thoughts, not the truth. Even though they feel so powerful, they do not control everything. There is hope.

I hope that you can feel some hope soon. But even if you can't yet, that doesn't mean you never will. You have done amazing work so far for your health, and I believe you are stronger than you think. I'll be thinking of you and hoping you can get some good advice on how to taper. No matter how slowly you go, you are still making progress and you should still applaud yourself for that whenever you can. :hug:

Hi RB! Thank you for your message.How are you nowadays?

I really hope it will get better. I tried going down to 17mgs (the cut was less than 10 percent) and it already felt terrible. So it is obvious I cannot taper right now. I'm going to look into some books some people were recommending on here like "rewire your brain" I feel like I would try every non-medical option there is right now. I'm trying to work out (well... 10 minutes on a bike every day, I'm still half bed ridden) I hope it will help in the long run.

I pray every day that this will get better. I want to be functional at least.

• 2 weeks later...

So it is very obvious now what the sx from seroquel are. It sucks because I only tapered 1 mg, which is less than 10%

I have no control over muscle, I am very dizzy and cannot walk properly. I am very agitated, angry, very absolute in my thinking: "everything is ruined" "I should kill myself because noone likes me" (i'm not going to but i do think this way)

I question if it's my personality emerging, or if it is withdrawal. This sucks.