• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [ga...]

• [Li...]

• [ra...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Mena this thread doesn't get much action. Try another support group thats busy. It sounds like the valium is doing a number on you and it might be worth just going back on ativan. Maybe cross back? I know ppl who have swapped from klonopin to valium and then back cause they hated it.

Im not sure if youre polydrugged. Probly not as theyre both benzos...

I'm so sick and tired of these drugs.

I'm new.

Taking propranolol 5 mg three times a day,

Visteral 25 mg twice a day

Gabapentin 300 mg three times a day and

Just recently started on Wellbutrin

How do we know if our symptoms are benzo withdraw or side effects from meds ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I've had nothing but side-effects from SSRI's.  Sadly, doctors tell you (they told me) that it's a worsening of the condition or it's the medication "crapping out" and it's time to try something new.  Truth told, I wasn't depressed, but since Prozac was the solution to every problem and sleep problems are a symptom of depression, I was given Prozac and told I was depressed.  I was so relieved to have a "reason" for the sleep issue, I went along. I continued to go along because I was young and stupid and pills are easy to take and "depression" was a convenient name for adolescent behavior (typical behavior, actually).

Now I'm probably never going to be happy or healthy again because my brain has been fucked by chronic SSRI use of over 20 years.  Yeah, I said that.

I get that, i have similar life experience.

I was reading about the modulating effects of serotonine on glutamate -gaba :

More evidence that polydrugging hurts us and it's all interconnected, there is no such thing as healing your gaba receptors and start taking other meds. (well you heal all the way down, but adding extra stuff adds extra damage that needs to be healed)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430669/

• 7 months later...

Would like to hear from others.

I feel like I'll be tapering forever from these

Other drugs.

I don't know if my symptoms are benzo wd still or from side effects of other drugs

I haven't tapered in many months from the other drugs

I'm glad you posted, because I wouldn't have seen this thread otherwise. I'm also on the generics of Cymbalta, Topamax, and Abilify. Once I get off the temazepam, I'd love to at least lower the dosages on the others.  I have depression, anxiety, bipolar and untreated ADHD. I don't know how much of these meds I can actually taper off safely. I'm on 90 mg of Cymbalta, 200 mg of Topamax and 15 mg of Abilify, so I think I have room to taper down.  One med at a time though.

I'm glad you posted, because I wouldn't have seen this thread otherwise.

:thumbsup: I second that! Never would have seen the post either.

I've been tapering off multiple drugs for months and it looks like the Mirtazapine aka Remeron will take the longest to get off of as you need to go slowly so your brain can

still sleep :tickedoff: Also still feeling the burning sensations after 3+ months since stopping the Valium.

...Now I'm probably never going to be happy or healthy again...

I can empathize with feeling that way, but there is too much evidence that we will heal, don't you think? The brain and how we perceive things is very powerful.

It's a slow process. I have 10 months to go on my last med. But i try to remember that even a drop can cause a stone to split as long as you keep going.

I think one of the most important things is to go slow so you can manage having a life (it maybe not a great life but just enough so you can do stuff) So you don't concentrate on the meds. or you will go crazy if you just 'wait' to get off of these meds. And that could cause you to rapid taper and crash. Get some new hobby's, read, start a yoga practice, stuff like that is really important for me to keep going.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a slow process. I have 10 months to go on my last med. But i try to remember that even a drop can cause a stone to split as long as you keep going.

I think one of the most important things is to go slow so you can manage having a life (it maybe not a great life but just enough so you can do stuff) So you don't concentrate on the meds. or you will go crazy if you just 'wait' to get off of these meds. And that could cause you to rapid taper and crash. Get some new hobby's, read, start a yoga practice, stuff like that is really important for me to keep going.

:thumbsup:

Totally agree. That's what I've been doing; getting involved in lots of activities that make me happy - yoga, biking, sewing, painting rocks, etc.

Thats really the truth! This way you are getting real resilience, too.

Thats exactly what brought me through 5 years tapering all my meds AND this was the best therapy I ever got because you learn that it is important to create good moments no matter what shit you are going through at the same time.

You are on the right way, my buddy, and for sure - you will be successful and strong at the end.

Wow Marigold1 great perspective. Also, I just scanned your signature and saw your ticker thing and realized what you must have been through. YOU are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing. 

Thats exactly what brought me through 5 years tapering all my meds AND this was the best therapy I ever got because you learn that it is important to create good moments no matter what shit you are going through at the same time.

You are on the right way, my buddy, and for sure - you will be successful and strong at the end.

Thank you!  :smitten: I'm actually probably going to slow things down a bit more as it has been a rough couple of weeks. I have noticed every 3 mgs i need a break.

Thank you!  :smitten: I'm actually probably going to slow things down a bit more as it has been a rough couple of weeks. I have noticed every 3 mgs i need a break.

have you been able to reduce the l-thyroxine already? I could after I got rid of the meds and it helped me to feel better, too..

when I read the list of meds in your signature I really get sad and angry about how bad that treatment was - but I am very proud of you that you are going your way so brave.  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a couple years back. I get big ideas, hyper focused, irritable, and have some depression.

So I was taking Geodon as prescribed. My psychiatrist increased my dose and I had some sort of reaction. I began having panic attacks, chest pain, difficulty breathing, tentany, weakness, restlessness, etc. I went to two different ERs 3 times in one night. Both places said they couldn't do anything for me, that most of it was anxiety and to contact my psychiatrist Monday. So I went to see my psychiatrist, and he said I had developed akathesia and took me off the Geodon and prescribed me propranolol. It didn't help. If anything it made me feel worse. I couldn't sleep, was running a fever, had terrible chest pain and breathlessness. So I went back to a different ER where they checked my heart but completely ignored me when I said that I had had a reaction to an antipsychotic. This is where I was given my first Ativan. Anyways, all my tests came back normal and they suggested I had Gerd and sent me on my way, with a prescription to a antacid, ativan, trazedone, and cogentin on top of the propranolol. Long story short I only got worse. I was in and out of psych wards and put on and taken off about 14 different psych meds over a period of 4 or so months. Each medication only made me sicker and the psychiatrists would not listen to me and insisted my lenghty list of physical symptoms was just a manifestation of a supposed anxiety disorder that I had absolutely no history of. I finally took matters into my own hands and came off all the meds. I went to see my family doctor and she suggested that I had neuroleptic malignant syndrome. I have recently seen a neurologist and he agreed that this has all been medication induced. My nervous system is an absolute wreck. While I have somewhat improved, I do not have the same quality of life as I did before. I am a stay mother of two, a 3 and 4 year old and I can not function the same way I was able to before. My kids have suffered, my husband and mother have had to take off of work to help me and take care of the children. I had to drop out of college and now owe money I do not have. So much has been taken from me due to the ignorance of so many doctors ans psychiatrists. I'm improving but still very symptomatic. I was not tapered off of any of these meds. I was ct off the ativan in a psych ward against my will. Had terrible withdrawal that they refused to acknowledge because it did not fit their criteria of "withdrawal" which a list of about 10 symptoms... this has been insane. At this point I don't know what is benzo withdrawal, psych drug withdrawal, or just straight up brain damage.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any other polydrugged ppl out here? I sometimes feel weirdly jealous of ppl who are 'only' on benzo's; Which is a stupid thought to have. But I feel it's going to take a long, long time before I can withdraw from all these pills.

I feel the same way as you because part of me feels that if they are "only" on benzos and they get off and never take any meds again, they have a much higher chance to heal 100% than someone who has been polydrugged.  Right now, I'm on both Klonopin and Depakote ER.  However, at my worst, I was on something like 5 psych meds at a time.

i feel that way too sometimes.

Some of the members recommended some apps, so if you have a smartphone or an ipad or a mini, you might want to check these out. One is called Stop, Breathe, and Think. The other is called Virtual Hope Box. I haven't had a chance to look at them yet, but from what the group members described (breathing and guided meditation), it sounded like it would be very helpful for coping with anxiety. I have an app called iSleepEasy that helps me relax and fall asleep, but I think I need something like this for just taking a break in the daytime.

thank you for these!

Totally agree. That's what I've been doing; getting involved in lots of activities that make me happy - yoga, biking, sewing, painting rocks, etc.

absolutely agreed

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a couple years back. I get big ideas, hyper focused, irritable, and have some depression.

So I was taking Geodon as prescribed. My psychiatrist increased my dose and I had some sort of reaction. I began having panic attacks, chest pain, difficulty breathing, tentany, weakness, restlessness, etc. I went to two different ERs 3 times in one night. Both places said they couldn't do anything for me, that most of it was anxiety and to contact my psychiatrist Monday. So I went to see my psychiatrist, and he said I had developed akathesia and took me off the Geodon and prescribed me propranolol. It didn't help. If anything it made me feel worse. I couldn't sleep, was running a fever, had terrible chest pain and breathlessness. So I went back to a different ER where they checked my heart but completely ignored me when I said that I had had a reaction to an antipsychotic. This is where I was given my first Ativan. Anyways, all my tests came back normal and they suggested I had Gerd and sent me on my way, with a prescription to a antacid, ativan, trazedone, and cogentin on top of the propranolol. Long story short I only got worse. I was in and out of psych wards and put on and taken off about 14 different psych meds over a period of 4 or so months. Each medication only made me sicker and the psychiatrists would not listen to me and insisted my lenghty list of physical symptoms was just a manifestation of a supposed anxiety disorder that I had absolutely no history of. I finally took matters into my own hands and came off all the meds. I went to see my family doctor and she suggested that I had neuroleptic malignant syndrome. I have recently seen a neurologist and he agreed that this has all been medication induced. My nervous system is an absolute wreck. While I have somewhat improved, I do not have the same quality of life as I did before. I am a stay mother of two, a 3 and 4 year old and I can not function the same way I was able to before. My kids have suffered, my husband and mother have had to take off of work to help me and take care of the children. I had to drop out of college and now owe money I do not have. So much has been taken from me due to the ignorance of so many doctors ans psychiatrists. I'm improving but still very symptomatic. I was not tapered off of any of these meds. I was ct off the ativan in a psych ward against my will. Had terrible withdrawal that they refused to acknowledge because it did not fit their criteria of "withdrawal" which a list of about 10 symptoms... this has been insane. At this point I don't know what is benzo withdrawal, psych drug withdrawal, or just straight up brain damage.

wow, so i went and bolded all the stuff that has also happenned to me. it sux they did this to both of us. i'm glad to have someone else to relate to. one day we'll be better. and one day ...it's coming, wait for it...huge class action that will be historical in its size and reach. this is world wide.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Wanted to join this group because I have been pollydrugged and now tapering of Clonzapam for the second time.

Its been hard and I'm crawling like a turtle to get down. 

I have so much fear these days of ever getting off and being able to heal. 

I cry every single day out of frustration.  I was a professional person and worked the while time while I was tapering my other two meds.  It wasn't until I jumped off too high from Lamictal, after getting so sick and hyper on its, that my life stopped. 

All last year mainly housebound and agoraphobia due to the withdrawal.  Now it's this benzo and even though I'm getting out a little more, I'm still pretty trapped. 

Just wanted to talk with others who arand have gone through this. 

Final Healing.