Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Eastcoast's Trip

[ea...]

Beck, why do you think you have early onset dementia?? Have you been tested for this in some way? I know I felt I might have it but somehow I sensed it was just wd stuff.

My heart goes out to you, becksblue. Like me you got dealt a bad hand. I don't know how you wound up living in a run down trailor, but my life took a similar path and I know it was because of several things. Benzos, number one. What happened to me when I was 8 years old: number two. Other life's painful things, plus alcohol and street drugs many years ago whe IO was young and dumb.

Do you own this trailor or rent it?

If I could reach out across time and space and give you a hug, I would. I know you must feel so terribly alone. Perhaps like me, you have few friends who can help you. At present I don't need help but in time, I will. I turn 70 next March, god help me.

I use Bertollis pasta sauce because it is rich. Plus I cooked up peppers, onions, real garlic, in olive oil. Super good. I am still trying to gain weight. Lost 4 lbs this last month and I don't even know why. I tried to eat more, so who knows.

Becksblue, feel free to PM me, since certain subjects are not allowed on publicly viewed places. PMS are private and only between the two people.

Annie and Bear, who would also hug you, if he could

I have wonderful news. As of this morning, I am once again a legally licensed RN. I called the Admin I have been talking with, and she looked up my CEUS and BOOM! I am once again a legal RN. I feel very proud of myself for getting through this. Getting all that money was not easy. I will never be able to thank the customer who gave me $200 towards this. Because my SS money wasn't enough, I had to use that money to pay bills. But just having that extra money allowed me to keep on going.

I am truly an RN once again.

MY customer today is a wonderful couple of people. Husband and wife. They like me and appreciate me greatly. I got their big house clean again in 5 hours of sheer work. In May, they leave to go back up North. I will truly miss them. I get attached to some customers. Plus, new  customers on the two website I use are just not happening.

Tomorrow I clean the home of a woman in her 50s with a small dog who, out of spite, pees and poos in the family room.

I was a bit miffed last time I was there, because this lady does not tip me for cleaning up all that poo and pee stuff. I truly think she should do that, as its a bit outside of normal cleaning. The lady has the money. Maybe she thinks menial help does not deserve a tip. I am quite disappointed in her..

I am an RN again. Licensed and legal. Oh how wonderful that is to know.

I have wonderful news. As of this morning, I am once again a legally licensed RN. I called the Admin I have been talking with, and she looked up my CEUS and BOOM! I am once again a legal RN. I feel very proud of myself for getting through this. Getting all that money was not easy. I will never be able to thank the customer who gave me $200 towards this. Because my SS money wasn't enough, I had to use that money to pay bills. But just having that extra money allowed me to keep on going.

I am truly an RN once again.

MY customer today is a wonderful couple of people. Husband and wife. They like me and appreciate me greatly. I got their big house clean again in 5 hours of sheer work. In May, they leave to go back up North. I will truly miss them. I get attached to some customers. Plus, new  customers on the two website I use are just not happening.

Tomorrow I clean the home of a woman in her 50s with a small dog who, out of spite, pees and poos in the family room.

I was a bit miffed last time I was there, because this lady does not tip me for cleaning up all that poo and pee stuff. I truly think she should do that, as its a bit outside of normal cleaning. The lady has the money. Maybe she thinks menial help does not deserve a tip. I am quite disappointed in her..

I am an RN again. Licensed and legal. Oh how wonderful that is to know.

That is so wonderful Annie!  You worked your a$$ off and you deserve it  :balloon: :balloon:  Love, Mary 🌺

Annie, it's good you got your RN license.  I was diagnosed with Memory Impairment and Amnesia a few years ago.  Doc wanted me to get memory testing and a brain scan, but I couldn't get back to the docs to get it done.  My father had early-onset dementia in his mid 50's.  He started calling us kids by the wrong names and wouldn't talk much.  I rarely talk either and when I do I only say a few words and start to stutter and repeat phrases over and over again and can't help it.  I have a degree in the medical field and know that's whats happened to me.  Lot of research studies done about the association between benzo's and dementia.  As soon as I got off the benzo's my mental functioning took a dive.  I also had a seizure at work while in tolerance and interdose w/d and my brain felt like it melted that day and I've never been the same since.  I have brain damage, too.  I can't even balance my checkbook anymore and I used to have an IQ of 130 and have six years of college.  I'm screwed.  Doc suspected a stroke.  I may be having mini-strokes.  Also diagnosed with Lupus--the APS Hughes syndrome type, and Thrombophilia.  Procoagulant antibody detected which can cause blood disorder and clotting problems.  You're a nurse and probably know what I'm saying.  I'm completely screwed.  Other good geriatric doc years ago said I wouldn't be able to live on my own much longer after examining me and here I am still struggling.  Can't find my car when I come out of stores and get confused, so don't go shopping anymore unless necessary.  I do own this rundown trailer and rent the lot.  I'm getting confused jus writing this reply. 

I really am sorry. What a heavy burden this is for you and you are doing it alone, I think.

But I always try to present a more positive outlook, so I will now. If the memory testing, etc., was done while you were on benzos, the results were  probably skewed by benzos. And the tests should be repeated once you start to heal a bit.

May I ask what your degree is in? Its plain you are intelligent and literate. Just curious what medical things you liked. I fell in love with medical things as a child. My parents subscribed to Readers Digest and every month I only read the articles about medical stuff. It always fascinated me and still does.

How do you KNOW you have brain damage? How could that be adequately diagnosed? I don't think it can just guesses on a doctors part.

Hate to tell you but I often don't recall where I parked my car. I am 69 and just chalk it up to age. This is odd but in some ways my memory got better by getting off benzos and ads, and in other ways it got worse. I remember one day last month I came out of Walmart and stood there bewildered, having not a clue where I had parked. I started to panic. Then slowly, my mind began to remember that when I parked, I turned RIGHT to go into the store. After trudging around with that big heavy cart, I finally found my car but it took almost 10 minutes.

I definitely do understand why you feel screwed. But being a nurse I also know that how the patient perceives things is often much more negative than reality.

Are you in any sort of in-person counselling? This might be a very good idea, but I also can understand why you might not want to do this. Good therapists are very hard to find unless you live in a big city.

Where do you live? I am in mid-Florida and detest it here.

annie

I wanted to keep my reply to becksblue separate, out of respect for her.

I had a weird day. It started out all wrong. I drove too my job of the day, picked up my check (the woman is out of town) and was gonna sign it and found out my wallet was NOT in my purse. Panic city. I drove home (and got every single red light, of course) and thank heavens the wallet was on the kitchen table. Drove back to work. Thank God that house is only a 5 minute drive.

Cleaning the house went well as I know it very well. I always sort of dread it for two reasons. Weird stuff. For one, this lady uses a TON of makeup and especially loves her bronzer powders. The dust in her office (truly its her make up room) is dark brown, due to bronzers. Kinda yucky. She also has this cute little dog who for psychological reasons, often pees and poo's on the floor of the huge family room (she uses it as a large storage room! LOL This lady has a lotta money). I walk in and immediately smell urine and dog poo. This is not a nice smell. I have considered charging her a bit more money because of the dog feces and urine. Don't know if that's a good idea or not.

I was in Walmart after work. This attractive man perhaps in his late 50's or early 60's was behind me in the self check out lane. He was wearing an oxygen tube, with a portable tank. I said to him "

Computer gremlin did it again. I am glad the above wasn't eliminated by that stupid gremlin.

I said to him "You look tooo young to be using oxygen." He smiled and said "I am paying the price for smoking way too long." I liked his honesty, We chatted a while. He is in end stage COPD. I ended up giving him my business card, and I hipe he calls. He lives in a trailer and I seriously doubt he can clean it. How sad this is. What I liked about his answer was that he placed all the blame on himself. NOT on his doctors, magazine and TV ads, etc. He knew better, just as I did.

Life is not fair, is it?

I really am sorry. What a heavy burden this is for you and you are doing it alone, I think.

But I always try to present a more positive outlook, so I will now. If the memory testing, etc., was done while you were on benzos, the results were  probably skewed by benzos. And the tests should be repeated once you start to heal a bit.

May I ask what your degree is in? Its plain you are intelligent and literate. Just curious what medical things you liked. I fell in love with medical things as a child. My parents subscribed to Readers Digest and every month I only read the articles about medical stuff. It always fascinated me and still does.

How do you KNOW you have brain damage? How could that be adequately diagnosed? I don't think it can just guesses on a doctors part.

Hate to tell you but I often don't recall where I parked my car. I am 69 and just chalk it up to age. This is odd but in some ways my memory got better by getting off benzos and ads, and in other ways it got worse. I remember one day last month I came out of Walmart and stood there bewildered, having not a clue where I had parked. I started to panic. Then slowly, my mind began to remember that when I parked, I turned RIGHT to go into the store. After trudging around with that big heavy cart, I finally found my car but it took almost 10 minutes.

I definitely do understand why you feel screwed. But being a nurse I also know that how the patient perceives things is often much more negative than reality.

Are you in any sort of in-person counselling? This might be a very good idea, but I also can understand why you might not want to do this. Good therapists are very hard to find unless you live in a big city.

Where do you live? I am in mid-Florida and detest it here.

annie

Annie, I was off the pills for almost five years when I got that diagnosis from the doc.  I can't even talk anymore, let alone get counseling.  When I try to talk, I stutter and repeat phrases all the time, like I mentioned before.  I was too sick to even go get the memory testing done.  I have a two-year degree as a Med. Lab. Tech and also took courses in Health Records Admin, and then finally took many English courses.  I have lots of medical reference books here at home.  I used to work as a Medical Data Abstractor for years and read about 1000 medical charts to get info. from them that was used as feedback to drug companies, hospitals and for research, too.  I used to be so capable.  I know I have brain damage and dementia.  I used to ride a motorcycle years ago before I got off the pills and now I can't even drive my car anywhere unless it's really necessary.  Not being able to find your car in a parking lot is not normal, IMO.  Occasionally, maybe, but not all the time.  It happens to me all the time in a big parking lot which is why I don't go anywhere anymore.  I'm stuck inside my own private hell, I truly am.  The darn grass needs cut soon and I can't even deal with that.  Years ago I used to service and take care of my own car, motorcyle and even lawnmower and now I can't do any of that.  I even painted the exterior of my trailer myself years ago with 2 coats of paint and even used to maintain my own roof and coat it, etc.  I could do just about anything and now I can't do even a fraction of what I used to do.  I'm even terrified to do the laundry because it causes me such confusion.  I can't even clean and vacuum in here anymore.  I didn't vacuum in here for over a year and half years ago, it was just too much for me.  I keep getting worse by the month.  I'm terrified.  People with dementia get anxiety because they can't function anymore like they used to and I've got that going on.

Something I immediately noticed is how literate you are. Maybe you take an hour to write these letters, I don't know. But you come off as intelligent, sane and good with words.

As I have aged, I can no longer do what I did, say, 20 years ago. But for 69 I am pretty able to do most things. I do understand your frustrations at not being able to do what you used to do. ME TOO. And you have a double whammy, as you got off benzos AND have a not great diagnosis. Wish I could fix this for you, but I cannot.

Here is what I will suggest to you, as you are right now.

I think you need to focus on whatever positives you do have. And you do have positive. Literate, intelligent, knowledgeable...these are truly great gifts to have.

When I was in CBT therapy, a good therapist told me to only focus on the positives, as I tended to always be so negative. I found this very hard to do. Probably my being on benzos and ADs didn't help, but I attempted to focus on my positives. I wrote lists of everything I could think of that I liked about myself. Just doing this seemed to help. No one can make your health issues better. It is up to YOU to make whatever time you have left to live as happily as possible. I would guess this will mean learning to just accept what has happened to you, and then just go on. Because over 37 years of being a nurse, I have worked with thousands of people with not good diagnoses, I have found that doin this seems to, at the very least, improve the quality of life for many people. None of us can change our fates. I, too, have medical problems that cannot be fixed. I live with them, fully knowing that some day I will be in your shoes. For m age I am fairly healthy but being on benzos 30 years damaged me in so many ways. But, becksblue, I now refuse to let this stuff keep me down. ZI just will not let it drag me down.

I was 8 years old when my father molested me in some way. This changed my whole life, as I [pushed the memory of this act so deeply into my subconscious I still do not know what happened. But it affected me in enormous ways. I have never had a really sloe relationship with any other person. I live alone. I am often lonely. My cat is my companion and I love him dearly but often I wish I had human friends. And when benzos came along, all they did was compound my problems.

Dear lady, I do understand how frightened and helpless you feel. And you have every reason to feel as you do.  But you do have to keep trying to make what is left of your life as happy as possible. Neither of us will feel good until we let some of this stuff go and turn our minds onto better and happier things.

Its been a long day and I am turning in.

Please do not give up.

annie

I'm literate because I almost graduated with a bachelor's as an English major.  Short about 20 credits.  I had a 3.7 GPA then and had a poem I had written published.  My brain is so damaged that I cannot even think positive thoughts anymore.  I have anhedonia and severe chemical depression from drug damage.  People with severe depression cannot pull themselves out of it.  I hate every aspect of my life and every nanosecond is pure hell.  Someone who has been housebound for six years and completely and totally isolated with no socializing has nothing to feel happy about.  Who wouldn't be completely depressed.  My life sucks! 

Becks,

This is going to be hard for me to express properly.

Benzos CAUSE depression, and benzo WD also causes depression. That makes it all so much harder too figure out. I certainly do know you have good reason to be depressed. Your life went downhill and you feel lost and confused and do not know what to do now. I once walked in those shoes and know how horrifying it is.

When I "woke up' after thirty years on benzos, I viewed my life as hopeless, just as you do. That was 2012. I was forced to CT off a huge amount of benzos and ADs. My long journey had just begun then but I did not know this. I had NO idea that it would take so long for me to heal, as nothing prepared me for this.

Depression is overwhelming, isn't it? You see NO light at the end of the tunnel, and your thought turn dark, scary and desperate. You want relief from this but you don't know how top find it. Trust me, becks, I have felt just as bad as you .I used to be a high paid RN, loved my work, enjoyed it, and was so proud of my being an RN. Benzos and ADs stole that from me, which of course is my fault, except I did not know that back then. I came very close to losing my life, dying, due to benzos and ADs. I certainly did radically change my life because of those drugs. I will always walk with a pronounced limp, pain in my leg and stiffness, none of which has anything to due with being 69 years old.

I will try to help you understand what seemed to help me crawl out of depression.

First of all, benzos CAUSE depression, that can last quite a long time. Benzo WD IS depressing as you do not know if you will ever heal from it. I know you know that by now. Sometimes, it is hard to differentiate between chronic depression and benzo wd caused depression. There is always the chance that YOUR depression is being made a lot worse by benzo WD.

I personally decided to trust what I was told here on BB, despite my strong inclinations NOT to trust utter strangers. I decided to try what people here told me to do to relieve my depression and wd symptoms. I was given good advice, but I did not know that back then. Talk about Blind Faith!

The utter pain you are in now shoots out of the page at me and I feel so helpless in not being about to make things right for you. That is beyond me and I wish it weren't. I can only imagine how terrible it is to be you right now.

One thing bwd did for me was to finally teach me the importance of positive thinking. I was a lot like you before getting off benzos. I had wrecked a good marriage, a good career, lost all my friends and became very unhealthy. When I say benzos almost killed me, I was not kidding. I was extremely depressed back then and only the numbing powers of my beloved benzos kept me from suicide. Becks, that is the utter truth.

Being forced to go CT off benzos and ADs was such a super big shock to me. Doing this caused a form of PTSD, and I STILL live with that today. My WD was so horrendous it defies words. WAY much worse than most people on BB but I don't usually say that because it sort of sounds like I am some sort of superwoman. I have always minimized my situation during WD.

I personally think that depression is caused by many things. Childhood traumas, which I sure had. Not learning good coping skills. Not forming strong bonds with other people. Not believing in some sort of faith, whether it is church related or not. And who knows, perhaps some people are just wired wrong so they feel depressed despite everything being okay. I do not know what is your root causes, all I know is that you are suffering and need support. I am trying to give you that, in whatever way I can.

Becks, you are not along=e in how bad you feel. I have received today perhaps 4 PMs that are very similar to yours. We who end up on benzos and ADs tend to follow similar paths. Truly, you are not alone in this.

Annie  (BIG HUG!)

Becks,

This is going to be hard for me to express properly.

Benzos CAUSE depression, and benzo WD also causes depression. That makes it all so much harder too figure out. I certainly do know you have good reason to be depressed. Your life went downhill and you feel lost and confused and do not know what to do now. I once walked in those shoes and know how horrifying it is.

When I "woke up' after thirty years on benzos, I viewed my life as hopeless, just as you do. That was 2012. I was forced to CT off a huge amount of benzos and ADs. My long journey had just begun then but I did not know this. I had NO idea that it would take so long for me to heal, as nothing prepared me for this.

Depression is overwhelming, isn't it? You see NO light at the end of the tunnel, and your thought turn dark, scary and desperate. You want relief from this but you don't know how top find it. Trust me, becks, I have felt just as bad as you .I used to be a high paid RN, loved my work, enjoyed it, and was so proud of my being an RN. Benzos and ADs stole that from me, which of course is my fault, except I did not know that back then. I came very close to losing my life, dying, due to benzos and ADs. I certainly did radically change my life because of those drugs. I will always walk with a pronounced limp, pain in my leg and stiffness, none of which has anything to due with being 69 years old.

I will try to help you understand what seemed to help me crawl out of depression.

First of all, benzos CAUSE depression, that can last quite a long time. Benzo WD IS depressing as you do not know if you will ever heal from it. I know you know that by now. Sometimes, it is hard to differentiate between chronic depression and benzo wd caused depression. There is always the chance that YOUR depression is being made a lot worse by benzo WD.

I personally decided to trust what I was told here on BB, despite my strong inclinations NOT to trust utter strangers. I decided to try what people here told me to do to relieve my depression and wd symptoms. I was given good advice, but I did not know that back then. Talk about Blind Faith!

The utter pain you are in now shoots out of the page at me and I feel so helpless in not being about to make things right for you. That is beyond me and I wish it weren't. I can only imagine how terrible it is to be you right now.

One thing bwd did for me was to finally teach me the importance of positive thinking. I was a lot like you before getting off benzos. I had wrecked a good marriage, a good career, lost all my friends and became very unhealthy. When I say benzos almost killed me, I was not kidding. I was extremely depressed back then and only the numbing powers of my beloved benzos kept me from suicide. Becks, that is the utter truth.

Being forced to go CT off benzos and ADs was such a super big shock to me. Doing this caused a form of PTSD, and I STILL live with that today. My WD was so horrendous it defies words. WAY much worse than most people on BB but I don't usually say that because it sort of sounds like I am some sort of superwoman. I have always minimized my situation during WD.

I personally think that depression is caused by many things. Childhood traumas, which I sure had. Not learning good coping skills. Not forming strong bonds with other people. Not believing in some sort of faith, whether it is church related or not. And who knows, perhaps some people are just wired wrong so they feel depressed despite everything being okay. I do not know what is your root causes, all I know is that you are suffering and need support. I am trying to give you that, in whatever way I can.

Becks, you are not along=e in how bad you feel. I have received today perhaps 4 PMs that are very similar to yours. We who end up on benzos and ADs tend to follow similar paths. Truly, you are not alone in this.

Annie  (BIG HUG!)

That was one of the best posts Annie.  We love you too Becks, you aren't alone.  Mary

Thanks, Annie and Mary.  How can I be positive when my body is rejecting food now.  I don't even want to eat and I have to cook my own food.  The root cause of my anxiety is a childhood traumatic experience I had too when I was 14 years old.  A drug OD which did some permanent damage to my nervous system back then.  I got floxed by one dose of a drug back then.  That's why I'm screwed.  I already have permanent nerve damage.  Who wouldn't be severely depressed.

Annie, I was diagnosed with Lupus, too.  It can cause brain lesions.  Doc wanted to check my spinal fluid for autoantibodies, but I didn't get it done.  Might even have chronic Lyme.  Had Lyme disease years ago and couldn't finish all the antibiotics.  My brain and body are wrecked.  Hypothyroidism, too.  I have other stuff going on which makes me very depressed.

Thanks, Annie and Mary.  How can I be positive when my body is rejecting food now.  I don't even want to eat and I have to cook my own food.  The root cause of my anxiety is a childhood traumatic experience I had too when I was 14 years old.  A drug OD which did some permanent damage to my nervous system back then.  I got floxed by one dose of a drug back then.  That's why I'm screwed.  I already have permanent nerve damage.  Who wouldn't be severely depressed.

I know, and most people would be, but you have to try.  Depression is exhausting and takes away what little positivity you can muster up.  All you can do is try Becks and know we care.  Love you and Lily 🐝🌺🌼🐱🐾🐾🌷🌷🦋🍀 Mary

beck, if you would like to share YOUR childhood trauma, please PM me. I got into some trouble talking about that on my Blog and now keep it to Private Messages. I too had childhood trauma that in some ways crippled me emotionally. I do know that it affected me ability to trust anyone. That is a deep hurt, isn't it?

It ight help you to know that during my WD I was scared of all food. Truly weird. I recall standing in my kitchen, horrified at the idea of even TOUCHING a carrot, or green pepper. That damn carrot scared me to death. NO LIE.  Plus I had no appetite.

Depression, whether benzo caused or some other thing, is very hard to deal with. We who did have childhood traumas have a double whammy, IMO. We took benzos to help the mess that trauma caused, all the while not knowing how bad benzos will be for us. We felt "better" for a while, so we relied on those innocent pills. Little did we know.....

Shoot me a PM beck., and lets talk about this privately.

I just keep telling myself all day long, "It will be alright, it will be alright."  I suppose that's my positive thinking I try to muster up.  Annie, I'm not sure I want to discuss my childhood trauma anymore, it was too upsetting since it ruined my entire life.

Beck, I respect your decision not to discuss your childhood trauma now. I for one understand that.

ANY sort of positive thinking will help. I did something similar as you. I kept repeating "I will survive this" until I was blue in the face. All the while dealing with about 75 weird symptoms and an overwhelming fear to just totally encompassed me.

If you ever decide you want to talk about this, just PM me.

We all have our limits and the fact that you know now isn't the time to deal with that stuff is a positive sign.

Please don't give up. I really do care.

annie

It won't help anymore to deal with my past trauma.  Nothing will fix the permanent damage from it.  I've come to terms with it now.  Thanks, Annie for trying to help me, but my life is over.

becks, if you have come to terms with it, you are letting it still rule your life. But I do sort of understand. I know that my childhood trauma cannot be fixed now. But damn it, I sure tried.

How are you doing otherwise?

I was thinking about wd stuff today and once again realized that I have some degree of ptsd due to BWD. I don't let this scare me. It is just a fact. Something truly essential changed in me both BY benzos and by getting OFF benzos.

The fact that now I am a bit OCD about cleaning only happened during wd. I feel that there is yet something I don't quite get yet about how wd changed me. It was NOT a bad thing, but sure is different. Something,...just changed inside my mind. I honestly do not remember when I first bought a vacuum cleaner. Now that IS benzo brain. Maybe I used a broom? WTF. Why cant I remember this stuff?

I also realized that in some ways I still am healing from benzos. I feel fine, I think normally but there are still

things that need to heal more. I do believe this will happen.

Hit the wrong key. Oops!

I am concerned about some people on BB. I love all of you and am rooting for every single one of you. Many of you seem to assume that how you feel now is how you will feel later. I did the same thing. Because nothing prepared me for what I went through, and it all came as an enormous shock to this nurse. What I learned was that you just have to push forward NO MATTER WHAT. As long as you are still on a benzo,, you wont start to heal. It is that simple.

I got my RN license - paper copy - in the mail today! It is now official. Ann k E is an RN again with all the privileges or work opportunities that might be. Havent a clue if I even want to work as a nurse now, but t least I have the option to do so. I would dearly love to work in a detox. Or on a psych ward. I am not interested in hospital nursing - that is for younger people. VERY stressful, and very physical. Nursing homes...doubt it. Home care? Mab01ye but I do not know how to draw blood and don't care to. Cerebral nursing care is more my forte. Dealing with people, helping them, reassuring them.

Annie,

I’m certain I have PTSD from Acute wd.  Thank you for your “push” forward words.  I’m pushing to heal.

Congratulations on receiving your RN license!!  :thumbsup: Whether you choose to use it or not I’m sure it’s a great feeling!!

Hugs, SaraSue  :smitten:

You go, girl. You are on the right track now and I truly love your attitude. You try to be positive no matter how bad you feel. This will turn out to be the best choice in thinking.

I am so proud of you.